Diablo® III

monk and shield

85 Gnome Warlock
instead of necroing an old thread i'll make a new one

i looked at the dps while i was dual wielding and hovered over a shield in inventory
it said i would be increasing my dps when i would equip the shield
so i equipped it and tadaa my dps went up

is that normal or is it a bug? i mean i always thought that if you wear 2 weapons you automaticly would do more dps.
Reply Quote
a shield with high dex and crith can out perform bad dual weapons
Reply Quote
dual wield offers 15% ias and the dps the stats offers. nothing more. so if the shield for example offers a shedload of dex and other dps stats it might actually outdps the offhand. however I think your offhand must of been real sucky for that to happen.

br
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warlock
it was only a 554 dps offhand with some vit and the shield has 80 dex and some res to all thats why i equipped it
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warlock
thnx for clearing this up for me guyz it makes alot more sence now
Reply Quote
As far as I remember dual wielding dps is the average of your two weapons x 15% ias. So if your offhand weapon dps is much lower than your main weapon you will get more dps just by unequipping your offhand. If you want to dualwield you need to have similar weapons in either hand.
Reply Quote
Its average in the sense that it take turns to hit.

so if you have 1000 dps MH and a 100 dps OH it will do really bad damage 50% of the time.
Imo shield with a top notch 1hand is the way to go.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warlock
thnx guyz really apreciate the input
Reply Quote

so if you have 1000 dps MH and a 100 dps OH it will do really bad damage 50% of the time.

But it's not the actual average in the sense that they don't actually take turns to hit in practice. The stat calculation is misleading because it is calculated off the fact that while autoattacking, you alternate between main and off hand, meaning that 50% of the time you WILL be dealing !@#$ty damage.

In reality though, all our generators go MH, OH, MH, which means that you'll only be doing %^-*ty damage 33% of the time, so while the stat sheet may not reflect it properly, you don't actually lose that much dps when off handing a crappy weapon. Still true that you lose dps though.

So anyways, my point of this was that sometimes it can actually be pretty hard to determine without a pen and paper what the net dps change swapping from a suboptimal OH weapon to a decent shield will be. it'll look good on the paper doll, won't necessarily be the case in game.

Not to mention there are other factors to take into account as well, like the IAS affecting stuff like proc rate for crits, LoH, etc etc

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against wearing a shield, I slap it on too when the situation calls for it, just pointing out some things :P

EDIT: turns out i have to check to see which tabs i opened two days ago and haven't read before replying to it, sorry for the necro...
Edited by SkruWD#1639 on 03/07/2012 22:07 BST
Reply Quote

But it's not the actual average in the sense that they don't actually take turns to hit in practice. The stat calculation is misleading because it is calculated off the fact that while autoattacking, you alternate between main and off hand, meaning that 50% of the time you WILL be dealing !@#$ty damage.

In reality though, all our generators go MH, OH, MH, which means that you'll only be doing %^-*ty damage 33% of the time, so while the stat sheet may not reflect it properly, you don't actually lose that much dps when off handing a crappy weapon. Still true that you lose dps though.

So anyways, my point of this was that sometimes it can actually be pretty hard to determine without a pen and paper what the net dps change swapping from a suboptimal OH weapon to a decent shield will be. it'll look good on the paper doll, won't necessarily be the case in game.

Not to mention there are other factors to take into account as well, like the IAS affecting stuff like proc rate for crits, LoH, etc etc

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against wearing a shield, I slap it on too when the situation calls for it, just pointing out some things :P

EDIT: turns out i have to check to see which tabs i opened two days ago and haven't read before replying to it, sorry for the necro...

wow thats a nice explain to the situation thnx im just w8ing for a decent weapon to drop now to check what the dps will be like running pony lvl a few times
Reply Quote
unless you have 2 REALLY nice weapons with high dps, dexterity + socket you should go with a shield for dexterity, crit, socket and resist imo
Reply Quote
01/07/2012 12:12Posted by MyBossMyHero
a shield with high dex and crith can out perform bad dual weapons

Wow was just going to make a post asking this but this just answered my question
Reply Quote
I find that the best shields are the ones with a high block chance, above 30% would be optimal, sure the stats and the extra resist are nice, but if you don't block enough the shield is completely useless.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]