Diablo® III

Why Diablo 2 (LoD) is better than Diablo 3.

Having just spent the last week caning Diablo 2 I can safely say that technically, it is the better game.

People seem to believe that the Diablo 2 stat point allocation has been lost. Not true, the stat point allocation system has been migrated onto items. You still choose what stats you want to 'level' through choosing items with that stat. Itemisation in Diablo 3 is what stat allocation was in Diablo 2. The itemisation system of Diablo 2, allowing you to perfect your build through skill bonuses/massive damage bonuses tailored to your build, was effective in hiding the fact that the game was based on a RNG.

Diablo 3 makes no such attempt to hide this fact, it is quite happy to have its players simply chase numbers. RNG = 1980s game design and while Diablo 2 shone it up effectively by giving people something solid to aim for in unique/set items that were tailor made for each build, Diablo 3 has gone down the tried and tested 'Let's throw some pretty graphics at them' route. The result is a repetitive game of number crunching and smashing barrels.

The unique items in Diablo 3 are completely pointless. Apart from their scarcity, the fact that you have to level your gear constantly as you play detracts from the game completely. When finding the relevant upgrades consists of nothing more that browsing YET MORE numbers and choosing what you feel you need as opposed to playing or interacting with other players in game it feels yet more like a spreadsheet than a game.

I can understand why a lot of people like this game, there is a lot to like about it. However, I can understand why people are upset and disappointed also as detailed above. I'm really looking forward to the expansion to this game as Blizzard will have to pull out something really magical, or even rare, to get the sales figures up.
Reply Quote
I can understand why a lot of people like this game, there is a lot to like about it. However, I can understand why people are upset and disappointed also as detailed above. I'm really looking forward to the expansion to this game as Blizzard will have to pull out something really magical, or even rare, to get the sales figures up.

I think it will be interesting to see if Blizzard can turn the complaints around at the same time as keeping the happy customers happy. There won't be much point in adapting the game to those who have played and don't feel completely satisfied by two or three hundred hours of gameplay (instead of their expected '7-10 years'), if those who are happy are then alienated from a game they love.

From what I read though, I am not expecting an expansion. but remain cautiously optimistic.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]