Diablo® III

Best class for Hardcore?

Hi guys!

I was wondering what is best class survivability wise for hardcore? I was thinking a monk or a barb? Never played hardcore in D3, so I got a total of 0 gold :) Won't be able to spend money on AH etc, will have to find most upgrades myself.

Thank you.
Reply Quote
In my opinion Barbarian is really good for hardcore. You also have very decent healing abilities and other cooldowns that make killing champion packs relatively safe and make escape possible if you find yourself in trouble.

Try to go full defensive with LoH 1-hander + shield. Before you jump to inferno spend a few runs on Act 4 hell and get some resistance gear. You can also farm Act 1 in inferno with ease and you don't really need very good gear. I was able to clear whole Act 1 including Butcher with like 26k HP, 8.2k armor (with buff) and 600 all resists (with buff) and a ~500 DPS one hander with around 500 life on hit.

My barbarian then died on some ~20th Butcher run (with much better gear), because I was rushing and playing carelessly - pulling 2 champion packs at once and getting in a bad spot with like 20 other white mobs on top of that. :D

So yea, PRO tip: It's easier to die when you are farming "easy" content. Because when you are progressing you are always super careful and alert and when you are farming it becomes a routine and you are not careful enough. :)
Reply Quote
Demon hunter best!
Reply Quote
Wizard. Just opt for 4 defensive and 2 offensive abilities and you're good to go.
Reply Quote
I think Monk is the best, you have healing skills :) really nice. It's seems to be impossible to die even rush into monsters and using pretty much self find to ateleast act2 hell
Reply Quote
Since Diablo III is fully dependent on gear scaling, all 5 classes have an equal chance to be successful in Hardcore. It all comes down to your own play style and the amount of patience.
Having said that, some classes may do better than others in certain scenarios and/or under certain circumstances. For example:

A tanky Barb has higher chances of survival in case a DC occurs. This is also true for classes who invest heavily in Life Regeneration gear, opposed to gear with a lot of Life on Hit.

I often read that a Monk is known for the healing skills but did you know you that a Witch Doctor can excel in healing through skills with DPS just as well?
Reply Quote
^this.

Playstyle will and should determine your choice.

All in all, i think barb is the perfect combination of movement, healing and defensive capabilities.

I myself however, have been most successful with wiz, due to playstyle preference.
Reply Quote
Wiz may very well be the most "secure" class for levling to 60.
You've got a ton of oh-!@#$ options and if you're careful and decently geared, the only thing that could kill you is a DC.

Money is not an issue. I also started from scratch with 0 gold but was still able to buy great gear on AH just from the gold I picked up.
Until lvl 50-ish things are very reasonably priced on HC AH. Around 10.000 gold is not uncommon for pretty awesome gear.
Reply Quote
15/07/2012 08:22Posted by Mikhail
Won't be able to spend money on AH etc, will have to find most upgrades myself.

I just started a demon hunter on hardcore and it didn't take long to get some nice gear.
These are pretty generic tips for both hardcore and softcore and got my character well geared before lvl 10:
  • I always buy gear with some magic find as long as the item has reasonable other stats beneficial to me instead of buying specific farming gear.
  • I set a budget. Max 2000, 3000 maybe 5000 buyout.
  • When searching for items you'll often find that an item with 20 dex and 20 vit can be way more expensive than an item with 50 dex.
  • A rare ring or amulet is usually expensive, though I tend to buy rare items for other gear since they have more properties and therefore can get magic find without severe penalties to other needed stats. Magic rings and amulets are often quite good though. And within budget.
Reply Quote
Additional protip: Only look for and buy stuff with 1d 11h (or even 12h) left on the timer.

You will find a ton of gear at a bargain price.
Reply Quote
Wizard !

For one reason only : DIAMOND SKIN !!! :drool: haha

Theres also Teleport (with the Mirror Image rune), Wave of Force which are great lifesavers. Not to mention Energy Armor which provides a 40% bonus to your resistance score at level 60 which means if you stack 500 all res, you have 700 with the armor :) And a whooping 65% armor bonus !! quite the godly armor ;)

Just make sure to stack as much Vitality as you can all along so you have time to react if you get slammed. Wizards tend to lose hit points really fast if not properly geared or if you didnt grind that extra level or two before going to the next act/area.

I reckon Barbs are very neat as well but i still have to try this.

Good luck !
Edited by bigraym0nd#1631 on 15/07/2012 16:27 BST
Reply Quote
Every class. It all depends on your preferred playstyle.
I have leveled a monk up to 60 now, and I really LOVE it.
I recently started levelling a barb, currently at 41, and at first it felt weird but I'm starting to like that too.
Also started a wizard now, (well I did have one but died at 43 - (shame on you Intel Rapid Storage Manager))... kinda glass-cannon like at times - at least in public games, but hey, sometimes I just like a different playstyle, and it _is_ different - a lot.

You just gotta like your class and the way it's "meant" to be played :)
Edited by Wrybane#1215 on 15/07/2012 18:29 BST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Hi,
I've finished Hell difficulity on hardcore with Witch Doctor and I had really good fun! I was brave enough to go for very offensive build. Truth is that u can't stand many hits, but I was killing champs in a second.. I've killed for example Butcher on Hell in 10seconds. It was the most powerfull build for WD you can have: Zombie Charger - zombie bears, Grasp of the Dead - Rain of corpses, Soul Harvest - Vengeful Spirit, Big bad voodoo - Boogie man, Fetish Army - Fetish Ambush, Spirit Walk - Jaunt.. Passive skills: Vision Quest, Pierce the Veil, Jungle Fortitude ...Basicly u just pop 4 cooldowns and u are not worry about mana anymore. So u just keep charging zombie bears a Rain of Corpses.. I kills everything extremly fast. Just keep an eye on your HP at all times, cause zombie bears is a low range ability so might be in danger sometimes. But as I said, i had a great fun with this char and offensive build and I've done lvl 60 and I've died in inferno. So be brave and give it a try.. =)
Reply Quote
I myself atm favor the Monk. Currently lvl. 53 in Hell Act 1. Like someone already said in this thread, Monks have pretty decent healing abilities, but it all comes down how you like to play the game and based on that you should pick your class :)

Some ppl tend to recommend the class from which you already have the most experience in playing and I tend to agree, but also it is quite fun to play completely new and different classes.

That's just my opinion on the matter.

Good luck and have fun on your coming HC adventures! :)
Reply Quote
Since Diablo III is fully dependent on gear scaling, all 5 classes have an equal chance to be successful in Hardcore. It all comes down to your own play style and the amount of patience.
Having said that, some classes may do better than others in certain scenarios and/or under certain circumstances. For example:

A tanky Barb has higher chances of survival in case a DC occurs. This is also true for classes who invest heavily in Life Regeneration gear, opposed to gear with a lot of Life on Hit.

I often read that a Monk is known for the healing skills but did you know you that a Witch Doctor can excel in healing through skills with DPS just as well?

As always Dazzed is right. Barbarian will give you, i think, the easiest way until act I inferno. Monks are very viable and will become even more worthy starting act II inferno. Wizz, well ... They are wizz, with the right sets of skills and some actual player-skill they are great. Crazy escape skills and very nice dmg.
Dh are pretty risky to play here but, if you are good at positionning and aiming, they rule over dps without any doubt. Still an error will cost you your life tho, so choose wisely !
As for WD, i think they are currently the hardest class to play in HC. In my opinion, they globally need a bit of a up, as they take a lot of damage, and lack a little dps. So they are actually, i think, the best challenge.

Hope it'll give you some ideas.
Cheers !
Edited by Hagakure#2873 on 16/07/2012 12:29 BST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]