Diablo® III

Canceling items and relisting them (in future patch)

I heard Blizzard intends to allow relisting of items and i personally think that's a bad idea.

A few points why:

Currently the bad deals are easy to spot since they have been listed for over 12 hours and nobody bought them :P So when looking for an upgrade you can easly skip 80% of the listed items. Very usefull if you have to go through dozens of pages.

When you loot an item with decent stats you can check AH for an estimated price by sorting buyout amount and see depending on the time remaining on the auctions what is the price where the item with those stats isn't beeing bought anymore. If you allow relisting, then all items will have over 1 day remaining and it's impossible to know if they're underpriced or overpriced and relisted every 2 hours.

When you want a specific item upgrade. Let's say your belt has 150 int 100 vit 60 AR and you want to find a good deal to upgrade it. You can do a farming run (~1 hour) and then come to AH and put those stats in the serching parameters and look for any new items that have over 1 day 10 hours left. There will be only a couple you have to check the tooltip on, you can ignore rest as you know you already looked at them. If you allow relisting then you have to check all the reslisted ones over and over :s

If sellers are too greedy or lazy to check how much their item is worth than that's their own fault imo, you shouldn't punish the buyers.
Reply Quote
You talk about people being greedy yet you're whole thread is about trying to spot items for cheap haha.
Reply Quote
20/08/2012 03:59Posted by DarkSider
If sellers are too greedy or lazy to check how much their item is worth than that's their own fault imo, you shouldn't punish the buyers.

You can never "check" how much your item is worth. At best you can check for similar items and guess that maybe (!) your item will sell at 50% of the buyout price of the cheapest listed item.

And even this "estimate" is often wrong.

So when looking for an upgrade you can easly skip 80% of the listed items. Very usefull if you have to go through dozens of pages.

Now that's flawed logic if I ever saw one.

Actually you have to go through dozens of pages and skip 80% of the listed items precisely because their owners couldn't re-list them at a price that might have interested you.
Edited by prodigy#2918 on 20/08/2012 04:50 BST
Reply Quote
My whole thread is about looking for a good deal not for cheap haha :)
There are many players that find one good item and they keep relisting it for days/weeks for hundread of millions without seeing that items with stats close to it sell for 10 times less than what they're asking.

If Blizzard would allow relisting of items it's very much the same like bumping your thread in forums. You bump it every hour to maximise the amount of people that see it .. but it makes no difference if what's inside it's trash :)

Imagine the pain to find something that's worth buying if all you see around it's

*bump*
*bump*
*bump*
*bump*
*bump*
Reply Quote
20/08/2012 04:49Posted by prodigy

You can never "check" how much your item is worth. At best you can check for similar items and guess that maybe (!) your item will sell at 50% of the buyout price of the cheapest listed item.

And even this "estimate" is often wrong.

Sure you can guess a range in which your item might be selling. If a ring has 15 MF and 15% crit damage you can check the AH for lowest price for 15 MF and if there's no other ring like it with just crit damage you look where the 15 MF rings start having big listing times. That's the highest amount people might be willing to pay for 15 MF. Then depending how fast you want to cash out you put a price closer to lowest price (or under) for pure 15 MF or higher to the amount where you can easly spot the item isn't selling. Problem if Blizzard would allow relisting is that you wouldn't be able to spot that top value anymore.

So when looking for an upgrade you can easly skip 80% of the listed items. Very usefull if you have to go through dozens of pages.

Now that's flawed logic if I ever saw one.

Actually you have to go through dozens of pages and skip 80% of the listed items precisely because their owners couldn't re-list them at a price that might have interested you.

Exactly. However think of the bad part too. Right now i can skip 80% or more of all the items because i know that's trash. If all the hundreads of items get relisted every hour for same price or 1% less then i would have to check everything over and over.

Just earlyer in a thread i saw a guy who has a chest listed for 200 millions and similar chest listed in AH doesn't sell for 40 mil. Imagine how many times his chest wwould get bumped if Blizz would allow relisting until he realises he was nowhere near the market value. And every time somebody would check AH he would have to look at it over and over because it's a new item.
Reply Quote
repost sorry lag
Edited by DarkSider#2696 on 20/08/2012 05:27 BST
Reply Quote
This is an important discussion, please see this post:
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5168466957#11

For anyone interested in this topic. Got some good replies there.
Reply Quote
20/08/2012 05:15Posted by DarkSider
Problem if Blizzard would allow relisting is that you wouldn't be able to spot that top value anymore.

Not a problem as we won't need it anymore. Item not sold within, say, an hour? Just relist at lower price.

20/08/2012 05:15Posted by DarkSider
Imagine how many times his chest wwould get bumped if Blizz would allow relisting until he realises he was nowhere near the market value.

Since everyone is capped at 10 auctions per AH per account, most people, I assume, are interested in getting quick trades rather than trying to sell just one item for a price it can't fetch anyway.

I understand your concerns but I think the benefits will outweigh the issues. Right now the AH is stale. Whatever sells, sells very quickly and but whatever doesn't sell quickly just sits there for many hours not allowing people to relist at a lower price or simply sell the junk and put up something more worthwhile.

For example it's been days since I was able to find any upgrade for my wizard with a reasonable stats/price ratio and my gear is mostly lower end. In the meanwhile I have my own items that sell once in a blue moon (except on weekends) while I have my stash completely filled with gear for sale.
Edited by prodigy#2918 on 20/08/2012 11:13 BST
Reply Quote
I have the very same problem as you do. I can't find good deals to upgrade my wizz, just overpriced stuff with no vit and stuff like that all over the place.

The thing is, if you want something to sell for sure you just list it for 100 gold bid. By allowing to relist then it's impossible for seller or buyer to estimate what's the correct market value of an item.

Right now we can't see what sells and for what price. Once an item sells, it dissapears from AH. The most accurate way to estimate the value of an item is to see what DOESN'T sell. To see what doesn't sell you look at idle time.

Imagine yourself on an alien planet and you're gived 1 million pacaras (the local currency). Then a small alien guy comes with a cocktail at you and asks if you want one, it costs 100 pacaras. Now the thing is you can't compare the value of your currency with anything, you don't know if that's a !@#$ drink or deluxe, you might get a good deal or you get scammed since with those money you could buy an entire house.

The same will be if you see boots with around 150 intelligence 50 AR 12 movement speed listed from 50 to 500 millions, all with 1 day 11 hours remaining. You will have no clue if everything has 1 day 11 hours remaining because omg they're so awesome everybody buys them or they are actually overpriced items that people keep relisting. Since you're wizz you probably know that scenario browsing through pages of overpriced boots with no vitality.

All you'll see is items with prices. Then some of the items will reaper when you search again and some won't. But you can't say if those items sold or the owner is just too lazy to relist them/is listing something else.

We really need a way to guess the right market value of an item and the way to do that is to know what items sold and for what kind of price or what items don't sell and for what price. Even looking at open bids it's not a great estimate since many times the winning bid is under the market value or the current bid is doubled in the last minute.

Allowing relisting would mainly force everybody to actively relist all their auctions because having an item listed for a long time in AH will bring negative publicity to it. Sure it will also help on one side, but i think it will do more bad then good.
Reply Quote
20/08/2012 12:37Posted by DarkSider
The thing is, if you want something to sell for sure you just list it for 100 gold bid.

This isn't the same thing. If I list something with a very low bid I almost guarantee it will sit in AH for 36 hours EVEN if I'll set a buyout. And why would I want that? I want quick sales in 100-500k range because that's where you can hope to sell a slightly above average quality drop quickly enough.

I have the very same problem as you do. I can't find good deals to upgrade my wizz, just overpriced stuff with no vit and stuff like that all over the place.

That's because guys like me are forced to farm gold because gold is a safe bet. You can't just pump MF and get good drops. It worked this way in D2 but it sure doesn't in D3. MF barely works at all and you can farm all day with 100% base MF w/o getting a single 1m+ worth item not to mention anything better.

People are discouraged from MF farming and from selling medium quality items. It's always either total crap for who-cares-how-much or something ultimate for 10m+.

We really need a way to guess the right market value of an item and the way to do that is to know what items sold and for what kind of price or what items don't sell and for what price.

Not exactly. I won't pay over 1m for a marginal upgrade. Doesn't matter if it's 1d11h or 30m. And even for a great upgrade I won't pay over 10m because that all I have. Unless you buy for resale it's just knowing what is an upgrade and what isn't. Well if you play the game you know this. Same logic applies to selling. List at a safe (higher) price and relist until you get your sale.

Trust market forces and they'll do the job for you.
Edited by prodigy#2918 on 20/08/2012 19:50 BST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]