Diablo® III

A Message From Jay

Blizzard Employee
Jay Wilson recently shared a message with the Diablo III community:

"As many of you probably know, I recently made a comment on Facebook about Dave Brevik. I want to make it clear that I am very sorry for what I said. I have higher expectations for myself than to express my feelings in such a rash way and disrespect a fellow developer like Dave, someone who deserves to be treated with greater respect.

What I said was expressed out of anger, and in defense of my team and the game. People can say what they want about me, but I don't take lightly when they disparage the commitment and passion of the Diablo III team. Dave is awesome. In Diablo and Diablo II, he made two of the games that have most affected me as a developer. I respect his vision for Diablo, but just like he said in his interview, the Diablo III team must drive a vision for the game that is true to us. We believe in Diablo and have stuck by it through years of hard development to make it a reality.

The foundation of the Diablo team was built from the remnants of Blizzard North: Our lead programmer, who built the basis of the Diablo III engine while at Blizzard North; our lead tech artist, who drove much of the combat visuals, FX, and skill direction of our classes and is one of the most avid Diablo II players you can find; our lead concept artist, who helped establish the core look of the game; Wyatt Cheng, our senior technical game designer, who writes many of our blogs and works tirelessly on the live game. All these people and many others made the commitment to Diablo even after Blizzard North shut down. It was hard for me to see their contributions be diminished by someone they worked alongside, and even harder for me not to try to jump to their defense. I only wish I'd done so in a more professional manner.

Joining the Diablo team was a dream come true for me. In my house, the name Diablo was always spoken in hushed tones. It meant late nights that turned into early mornings, moments of pure adrenaline and pure joy. It meant countless conversations, debates, scouring websites for good builds, and more than one or two sick days. :) When Diablo II was released, I took a week off work and sent my wife out of state... and she was pregnant at the time! I played Diablo II with my dad during one of the most difficult times of his life, and the experience brought me closer to him, and I hope helped him through it. I joined the Diablo team because the idea of a world without more Diablo seemed like a pretty crappy world to me. I wasn't sure if I'd be good enough. I'm still not sure. But I felt I had to try.

Regardless of how I've done, my team has been more than good enough, and I'm proud of the game we made together. We believe it's a great game. But Diablo III has flaws. It is not perfect. Sales mean nothing if the game doesn’t live on in all of our hearts, and standing by our games is what Blizzard does. Patch 1.0.4 is a step in the right direction, but we have no illusions that our work is done.

Playing Diablo III needs to be a rewarding experience. The new legendaries are a big step in the right direction, as are tweaks to item drop rates. But I'm not convinced that we've gone far enough. If you don't have that great feeling of a good drop being right around the corner -- and the burst of excitement when it finally arrives -- then we haven't done our jobs right. Out of our concern to make sure that Diablo III would have longevity, we were overly cautious about how we handled item drops and affixes. If 1.0.4 hasn’t fixed that, you can be sure we'll continue to address it.

Part of the problem, however, is not just item drops, but the variety of things to do within the game. Many of you have stated that there needs to be more to the game than just the item hunt, and we agree completely. The Paragon system is a step in the right direction, giving meta-progress for your time in the game, but it does little to address the variety of activities you can do while playing. I don't think there’s a silver-bullet solution to this problem, but I do think we can make this aspect of the game better, and as such we're planning more than just PvP for the next major patch. Not trying to be coy, but we're still firming things up and will talk about this as soon as we can.

Difficulty has been a constant source of division when discussing the game. Some players believe Diablo has never been about crushing challenges, but more about efficiency and farming. Some players want a game that tests them to their limits. Neither player is wrong. As it stands, Diablo III simply does not provide the tools to allow players to scale the game challenge to something appropriate for them. We set Inferno as the high watermark and took a one-size-fits-all approach to game challenge. Later in the development of Diablo II, the 'players 8' command -- which let people set monster difficulty -- was added to address this issue, and we're considering something similar for the next major Diablo III patch to allow players to make up their own minds about how hard or how easy is right for them.

The Auction House has also proven to be a big challenge. It adds a lot of power for players to trade and acquire items. Getting a great Monk drop that you can trade for better gear for your Wizard is obviously a great benefit, but it does come with a downside. The Auction House can short circuit the natural pace of item drops, making the game feel less rewarding for some players. This is a problem we recognize. At this point we're not sure of the exact way to fix it, but we’re discussing it constantly, and we believe it's a problem we can overcome.

While these are some of the major issues with Diablo III, they aren't the only things we're looking at. On a daily basis we ask ourselves if the classes are satisfying to play, if rares and champions are fun to fight, if they’re tuned well relative to normal monsters. Can we make further improvements to social elements of the game? How can items be even better?

We made Diablo III because we believe in the Diablo games. We think the gameplay is awesome, the world is compelling, and it's the game we all wanted to play. Because we believe in it, we'll continue to stand by it and make it better. We are committed to making Diablo III the best Diablo game to date, and we hope you'll continue to help us do just that.

Saying that, I'd like to apologize to all of you, the players in our community. You deserve better than my reaction to Dave's comments. You deserve more honest communication about the game and what we're doing to make it a more awesome experience for us all. We care about Diablo very much, and appreciate your passion for it. Without you, we wouldn't be able to do this, and for that I can't thank you enough."
Edited by Takralus on 23/08/2012 16:53 BST
Reply Quote
None of us are perfect, you made a mistake & apologized. Thankyou for braving the 'community'!
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Hunter
Get a list of improvements that you need to make, sit down and make them all and in about 6 months you can drop an awesome patch that will make Diablo, a true Diablo game again. Then go and get a decent team to make a real Diablo 3 expansion that is worthy of the title and that is genuinely fun. Then we can all meet up at the local pub grab a pint of lager and wait for all of this to blow over.
Reply Quote
even tho it wasnt jay who wrote that latter, still accept it :)

the new patch really buffed diablo, and it once again fun to play. keep on great work.
Reply Quote
Haven't played it for a few weeks now. Might give the new patch a try over the weekend. Looking forward to LOTRO expansion more than PVP Diablo etc.
Reply Quote
View profile
credit where credit is due.

Ban the botters. Were all sick of gold sellers spamming everywhere. even the forum is spammed with this crap. If we saw that ye were taking a proactive step towards stopping this, we would all be happy. But they get away with it. Why? because they make Blizzard money.

Punish the scammers. They don't make Blizzard money. They ruin it for players who genuinely want to play and progress. They try to save some money by not using the AH (not the RMAH), and they get robbed. People are getting away with this, and its not fair.

Do this, and you WILL be praised for years to come for creating Diablo 3.

Continue to ignore this, and Diablo 3 will have a very bad reputation for ever.
Reply Quote
I appreciate your honesty, and am gladdened that you hold no illusion that the work is done. I agree. Especially I am happy to read you are committed to making D3 the greatest game of the Diablo series to date - not of WOW!
That's a strong statement, I will hold you to your word.

I believe that 1.0.4 is a step in the right direction.

I read in your rash comment a passion for the work that you and your team invested. I can imagine Diablo 3 already cost a lot of blood sweat and tears in your team, and I appreciate it when people feel a strong connection to their deliverables.

Having said that, I at the same time very much agree with Dave's statements in the interview, and from my (obviously blatantly biased!) standpoint also have many D3 things I feel passionate enough about to throw my little tantrums. (read my other posts :) )

Mostly, thank you for your honesty and your continued commitment, hope to hear from you more.
Edited by Eyolas#2472 on 23/08/2012 19:58 BST
Reply Quote
23/08/2012 00:03Posted by Lylirra
When Diablo II was released, I took a week off work and sent my wife out of state... and she was pregnant at the time!

How can you proudly say something like this? Abandoning your wife because of a game? Shows how much of a man you really are, Jay. We dont need an apology, much less to know this kind of aspect of your personal life.

i have no problem with your real opinion about David, if you think that the man that made your game successful as it is is a loser, it is not my problem, or his. if you really want to apologise, go directly to him, not the community. We have got nothing to do with that, so this message looks more like damage control than a real apology.

Sorry to be blunt but that is how it feels like.
Reply Quote
23/08/2012 20:11Posted by Nevermore
When Diablo II was released, I took a week off work and sent my wife out of state... and she was pregnant at the time!

How can you proudly say something like this? Abandoning your wife because of a game? Shows how much of a man you really are, Jay. We dont need an apology, much less to know this kind of aspect of your personal life.

i have no problem with your real opinion about David, if you think that the man that made your game successful as it is is a loser, it is not my problem, or his. if you really want to apologise, go directly to him, not the community. We have got nothing to do with that, so this message looks more like damage control than a real apology.

Sorry to be blunt but that is how it feels like.

he has some communication problem.. when i read that phrase i was really wtf
hope that he is only trolling like always
Reply Quote
Patch 1.04 has made the whole game alot more exciting to me, it's more like diablo 2 when you start reading through unique item list to find something that could work to make a fun build.

Now the only thing i miss about items is that barely any low level items are viable in inferno, diablo 2 was alot of fun because you could find those lvl 12 items that if used the right way would be great in the end game too. (For example having sigon boots and gauntlets were easy to find and not too impressive but gave some crazy boost to move speed and attack speed if you had both of them)

My greatest time in diablo 2 was playing with a kick assassin who didn't need a weapon with high damage at all, I could have a 6 socked white weapon with 6 eth runes in it to remove 150% defense from enemies and it kicked !@#, literally. Suddenly all new possibilities appeared using weapons that didn't have to have 300% ed. That's what I miss about diablo 3!

Looking forward to the pvp patch and how the game will turn out! Feels like there will be a lot in store for the future with such an ambitious team.

Keep fighting and don't let all the haters get to you!
Reply Quote
Joining the Diablo team was a dream come true for me

Well it was a nightmare for 90% of us though... Thats a fact.

Anyways at least you showed up and you acted like a man. Thats good imo but wont make Diablo 3 any better if you ask me.

1.0.4 is an ok patch but it seems its way harder to sell good items , items stacking like crazy as we speak and above all... ACT 3/4 are still ( for most of players ) a struggle... Which means what you did wasnt enough ...

Spending millions on new items and still cant clear Act 3 ... wont save the game because some new shiny items or paragons levels... It needs MORE polish with champion packs...

And a tip for you.... NO RESET ( aka ladder ) = GAME IS DOOMED in less than 2 months from now. Just to know it.

Sorry but even after patch D2 >> D3 .... Sadly but truly i think you need to copy some more D2 elements to D3 ...
Reply Quote
Why didn't you just make a Diablo 2 with prettier graphics and a ton of new content and features?

Brevik was right. That's what the players wanted. But you had to be the fat !@#$ that you are and ruin the entire franchise with your casual %^-*-tier !@#$ game.

As you gain weight the chances, that Gaben will eventually consume you and cleanse the corruption in your heart, rise. I look forward to that day.
Reply Quote
Thank you for this letter to the community, I appreciate it and look forward to the future of Diablo III :)
Reply Quote
You are forgiven :)

Glad to hear your working on the issues, and i hope next patch brings us even closer to what your aiming to create
Edited by Hkevin#2707 on 23/08/2012 21:59 BST
Reply Quote
Any chance you could just update Diablo2 with a highere resoultion, a heavy fix to remove all duping/spamming, and some much needet balancing to make some spec's more used, and others less powerfull? (Hammer paladins, vs aura specced paladins and so on).

I have no faith left for Diablo3 sorry. The way the game was handled from launch is quit poor all the way, and didnt live up to Diablo2 rep.

Edit: typo.
Edited by Djuntas#2390 on 23/08/2012 21:59 BST
Reply Quote
Saying that, I'd like to apologize to all of you, the players in our community. You deserve better than my reaction to Dave's comments. You deserve more honest communication about the game and what we're doing to make it a more awesome experience for us all.

Apologise to David first and foremost, he handed the sales to you on a platter from the previous games created by Blizzard North.

As for the communication, let me be blunt here....

When it's ready™
Soon™
Aren't you thankful™

...... it's not cutting it. It's long overdue the the community managers spent more time getting and giving feedback openly between the community and the developers. Without the wise cracks, because some of us are pretty tired of it and pretty insulted by it as your paying customers.
Reply Quote
I appreciate Jay for stepping forward with this post. I still don't have high expectations for the future of D3, but at least Jay gave us a little hope by clearing things up.

I got some points that could improve the game so here's my thoughts:

1. Add more variety by scattering bosses/events and such around each acts in Inferno that can actually drop certain high end stuff. Just like D2 had andariel for good unique ring drop, countess for runes, etc. And take this one step further. This would add variety and depth. Also this could be worked up to a farm runs that reaches through multiple acts or even all of them without needing to remake the game. Also this would be a great way to introduce wide range of rewarding/rare random events or encounters that players could run into while playing.

2. Bring back methods for making white items usefull with formulas requiring certain materials or such. Refering to Horadric Cube in D2.

3. I miss runes and runewords. Runes could be used old fashioned way to create cool stuff out of plain/socketed items or OR there could be a whole different item line where the base item could be awesome as it is and then you could upgrade them with certain runewords making them even more powerfull. There could even be multiple tiers for upgradeable item.

4. In general tinkering around items is loads of fun. If there would be many ways to create different stuff out of different materials and methods, the game would become way deeper.

Keep working hard to make this game live up to the expectations. I really want to play this game. Sadly I find it boring and underwhelming as it is.
Reply Quote
Difficulty has been a constant source of division when discussing the game. Some players believe Diablo has never been about crushing challenges, but more about efficiency and farming. Some players want a game that tests them to their limits. Neither player is wrong. As it stands, Diablo III simply does not provide the tools to allow players to scale the game challenge to something appropriate for them. We set Inferno as the high watermark and took a one-size-fits-all approach to game challenge. Later in the development of Diablo II, the 'players 8' command -- which let people set monster difficulty -- was added to address this issue, and we're considering something similar for the next major Diablo III patch to allow players to make up their own minds about how hard or how easy is right for them.

Hmm, in D2 to fix this, they added Ûber Tristram. Best they ever did.. Key farming ftw
and fingers crossed for a niice torch.
so, scale down inferno a bit, just a little bit and then add the keys again.
every buddy is happy.
Reply Quote
Are you kidding, right?
First: You should apologize to Brevik directly.
Second: For the players, a better D3 it's enough of an apology. 1.0.4. is a poor excuse untill now.
Third: As a casual player D3 is a nightmare. Instead of a continuous pleasant experience, D3 was: way too easy (normal), easy (nightmare), nice (hell), bam!! wall!! (inferno).
Fourth: For God's sake you can finish the game in less than 4 hours!!!! There's also achievements for that!!! Like it's something to be proud of!!!! "our game can be finished in less than 4 hours!!!" Take that for in game depth! Pfffft!!!
Fifth: As a newly married guy who is starting to feel the responsibility of having a family your statement "When Diablo II was released, I took a week off work and sent my wife out of state... and she was pregnant at the time!" horrifies me! Your lack of responsibility makes you unfit to lead a team! Did you told HR this when you were hired?
Sixth: RMAH... that's an just free to play method added to an already payed game = GREED!

My 6 pissed off cents on this disaster!
Reply Quote
He's taken a hell of a lot of stick, some justifiable, most not so.

Diablo 3 isn't perfect but 1.0.4 shows to me they're trying to make it the game we all want to play. Paragon levels has given me a reason to play along with the new legendaries. Hope you can reiterate this in the next patch too, and take another step towards making this the game we all want.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]