Diablo® III

Dual Wielding vs Crossbow

Whats best of these? Or is it personal chooice?
Reply Quote
depends on your build I'd say.

LoH and other proc builds benefit from DW because of higher number of attacks.

ShSh and kiting builds benefit more from the heavy xbow due to higher upper end damage.

TL:DR: it is about personal preference.
Reply Quote
I went from 2h to DW and enjoy DW MUCH more, more crit damage, more raw stats. Okay, your normal hits are low but atm (with scoundrel) I got 41% crit chance with 324% crit damage. After I get some Nat pieces (saving for it now) I will be at 48% crit chance so it's just a matter of stacking crit damage then :)
Reply Quote
2h is cheaper though, you can pretty much grab a weapon with a socket and as much dps you can afford. With DW you have to get two of them with something like socket, critD, dex and disc/hatred regen for it to be worth it, you also have to have decent crit chance on gear and +min-max damage on rings and amulet.

tldr: both are viable but 2h is easier/cheaper.
Reply Quote
I see.. But aint crit/critD better overall? Should be atleast. But ill try what i like. Atm i got 2h c-bow ^^ And slays everything easly. But i have 2x DW bows, with socked and dex on.
Reply Quote
hi all, im a lvl 29 demon hunter and i have dual hand bows both with 59.0 damage each i also have 112 chest armour with pants on 83 with 2 strenght gems inside but when i get killed in battle i see a guy with the same level as me standing there taking damage and not dying, whats the secret?
Reply Quote
26/08/2012 12:21Posted by x19chino84x
hi all, im a lvl 29 demon hunter and i have dual hand bows both with 59.0 damage each i also have 112 chest armour with pants on 83 with 2 strenght gems inside but when i get killed in battle i see a guy with the same level as me standing there taking damage and not dying, whats the secret?

Please dont hijack other peoples threads. Start a new one please. Not bitttchin at ya just a freindly note.
Reply Quote
I have not been able to play for the last month. When I get back on I am gonna try DW. My gear right now, as I had left it, is MF set up (weak one LOL) but it works best with 2 hand weap. When I switch back to my other gear it is primary +dex +vit crit/crit all res not in that order. I thinkthat is pretty standard now. I see many debates on LOH vs. regen etc so I will not further that debate here. I was trying out regen but find it kinda stalls out in act 3 & 4 so I am switching to LH and beefing up all res and damage which I feel will lend to DW.
Reply Quote
i was playing with 2h bow and bought 2 cheap 1h to try out DW.. i LOVE it.
The attack speed is insane, but i do believe you need a certain level of gear for it to be really effective. My gear is not top tier, but it seems to work really well.

The only thing im wondering about is wether to use CA:LfB with Grenadier passive or EA:Ball Lightning.

W/o old nat 4p i feel like my disc is not enough with LfB, but with EA:BL i can use Night Stalker which proccs quite alot.
Edited by Fearin#2704 on 26/08/2012 15:33 BST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Killerwolf-2579/hero/1384110

not updated yet, got some decent upgrades today.

Works for me and I like it, just play what you want/like.
Edited by Killerwolf#2579 on 26/08/2012 17:04 BST
Reply Quote
Ok so I love playing with a two handed crossbow, because of the high crits and just blasting everything in oblivian! But the other day I stumbled on a nice one hander, which dropped off a thrash mob (lucky me =)

So now my question is: What's your opinion on using a one-hander together with a quiver?
You feel like walking around with a full automatic, shooting so fast it hurts your eyes. And you can get additional crit chance, but trade off some crit damage.

Any reason not to? Since keeping up with upgrading two one-handers can get quite expensive..
Edited by Haplo#2922 on 26/08/2012 22:55 BST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
For most of the earlier part of unbuffed inferno I've been using a quiver with a 1h as well, for multiple reasons.. I started swapping to a LoH one at the sight of (or after dying to :P) reflect mobs, and at some point got a decent 2nd one with nice LoH on top of dex/socket and disc, then started dual wielding again.. Why not? ^^

Your wep has higher dps than a lot of 2h'ers people are using, so why not? Only thing you have to realize is is that your weapon damage is a bit lower (400-900 one) and part of the dps of the weapon is due to the ias it has. So I wouldn't recommend using such a big hatred spender (even though I'm using multishot), since you have 500 damage range (you can hit/crit for really low, which essentialy wastes a lot of hatred).

And it will be really hard to match your weapon with another without losing a lot of dps (since your sheet dps is calculated with a certain sum of both divided), maybe go for pew pew deadmans 20% one :P

Also I'm really curious, how is the marked for death proc? Does it proc on multiple targets, or does it just overwrites eachother? And etc etc :P
Reply Quote
26/08/2012 22:52Posted by Haplo
Any reason not to? Since keeping up with upgrading two one-handers can get quite expensive..

well the main reason not to is that you will probably get much lower damage with a 1h than you would with a bow or xbow of the same budget, so if you keep the quiver you may as well just keep the bow/xbow.

1k dps 1handers are much more expensive than 1k dps bows, and yet even when comparing weapons of the same dps, the 1h results in lower final damage output due to low minimum damage.

sadly dual wielding is expensive, but (for me) 60k dps with dw worked better than 60k dps with bow+ quiver.

EDIT: here is a nice eye-friendly dps calculator for you to test how you'd do with a cheap 1h on your offhand instead of a quiver: http://labs.jscampos.com/D3/Demon_Hunter/

nice find btw. Have you tried having Marked for death in your bar to see if it casts it with the rune you have equipped? (that would be sweet)
Edited by Cou#2562 on 26/08/2012 23:40 BST
Reply Quote
My personal choice is the hand Xbox + quiver, all stats are very good, but of couce not perfect :)

If my bow had the same stats, a socket & 1035 DPS instead of 835 DPS it would be perfect for me right now. Its so hard to find one with the same stats, a socket & 1000+ DPS. (im not buying any gold for €) its first now with the 1.04 patch we started to earn some real money as Demon Hunters.
Its not a huge amount, but now its possible to farm 100-200.000 G in a decent amount of time the same day. (much more on a 14-18 hour gaming session with some friends).

But I have no chance in the 5+ mil. range. (if im lucky i get a 10 mil. item some day. or hopefully find it myself :)
It would be the right way to get my xbow, find it myself. I better get to ACT 3 farming :)

Good luck finding the best sollution for you.
Reply Quote
Crossbows are more energy efficient than hand bows or bows. They have the highest damage per shot and lowest attack rate so use hatred the most efficiently.
Reply Quote
I personally prefer the dual-wield just because they fire so much faster. In one more level, however, I'll be switching to a Starspine someone made me, so it's not like I'm married to DW or anything lol.

I have found however that even a 2-hander with a quiver rarely does as much absolute damage as two singles (keep in mind that this is just what I've personally experienced and I've no doubt there are crossbows out there that can blow hand-xbows out of the water)
Reply Quote

Also I'm really curious, how is the marked for death proc? Does it proc on multiple targets, or does it just overwrites eachother? And etc etc :P

26/08/2012 23:34Posted by Cou
nice find btw. Have you tried having Marked for death in your bar to see if it casts it with the rune you have equipped? (that would be sweet)

I've tried using Marked for Death in my bar, but is doesn't proc the rune :(

Also watched for multiple procs but haven't seen one yet (this was in act 1 and things die rather quickly =)

I'll open up a thread, maybe someone who can tell us more about it.
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5208511966
Edited by Haplo#2922 on 27/08/2012 20:06 BST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]