Diablo® III

Echoing Fury as MH ?

Hey guys,
im wondering if its worth to invest 20m into an echoing fury mace. Since the high min dmg of the weapon it should be the best choice for tornado barbs or am i wrong ? I just dont know if a 1k dps echoing fury would have such a great impact on my dps. Maybe you can help me out there.

(Currently sitting on 50m to upgrade but i dont where to start. MAybe you have some suggestions for me,except the mf chest,belt and pants ;) )
Edited by TheStuntbum#2118 on 02/09/2012 15:52 BST
Reply Quote
I'd consider it as a weapon, but only in combination with an item which gives cold damage (e.g. stone of jordan, pre 1.04 puzzle rings etc.)

Why?

The chance to fear on hit and the relatively high proc rate of WW means enemies will be running away from you a lot - your worst nightmare (pardon the pun) as a WW barb.
Reply Quote
I doubt that the mobs are running that far when scared abd they are dead within seconds anyway. But i should be a good dmg increase right ? Ive read somewhere that the + attacks stat applies to your offhand too . Guess ill give it a try.
Reply Quote
I use it on my ww barb and it owns.
Reply Quote
02/09/2012 20:35Posted by TheStuntbum
I doubt that the mobs are running that far when scared abd they are dead within seconds anyway. But i should be a good dmg increase right ? Ive read somewhere that the + attacks stat applies to your offhand too . Guess ill give it a try.

Good point, i forgot about +APS applying to both weapons.

However the reason for my fear of fear is the concept of elite blood clan spearmen/occultists getting feared when they're not running away.
Edited by Spankalot#2274 on 03/09/2012 03:35 BST
Reply Quote
Hope this helps:
I had a 919 dps axe as MH as a tank, with about 140 str and a socket, with 70% crit damage gem.
I had the luck to find a 1149 dps Echoing fury mace as a drop, with int and dex.

Changing it only increased my dps by 400. About the fear: the mobs in fact run slower an less far when feared than you when facing a Nightmarish elite. So the fear in fact is a nice help, more helpful than annoying. Even bosses are not immune to it, so you can fear Belial in phase 2 for example.

In short: if you have a socketed good 900+ dps weanpon, possibly with strength, then don't bother with EF. Not that big an upgrade, and that only if the EF's dps is like 200 more than your current weapon. I doubt that compared to your crit damage+socket MH it would be a big upgrade (you would lose about 160% crit damage). Again, this was with a tankish build, but I also doubt that the "adds 0,21 hits per sec" stat is that useful for WW barbs.

Edit: I logged out with my older MH and the new EF as the new MH, dual wielding, so you can compare (if Armory updates).
Edited by Apriliand#2550 on 03/09/2012 07:49 BST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I had an wep with fear, around 3% if i remember right, and i often found my self running after elites in molten after the fear. Ain't fun trust me, one more example, if you find elites with Fast affix, they will go like they have a rocket in their asses, sometimes they pull other groups of mobs if you are lucky, back than i was playing tank, maybe for a WW barb it isn't that dramatic. But I promised myself I will never wear gear with fear!
Reply Quote
Tbh i think its probably in BIS region for OH/DW.

Mine gave my a roughly 16k dps increase and thats just the paper dps, my tornado tickrate jumped from 4.33 to 5.67.

The trick is as already mentioned the +0.2X attacks per second that counts for both weapons, its pretty much like 25% attackspeed from gear.
It also solves the problem with last swinging with your fast offhand to increase the nado tickrate which costs time and timeloss is dpsloss, because of the speedboost to your mainhand.

The boost slow high dmg mainhands get trough the attacks per second is ridiculous, im already saving up for something like 1kdps/70cd/str/lifesteal/socket/1.2as.

Dps calc said would give me another 20kish jump.

The fear never bothered me, i think its actually helpful.
Edited by Quasi#2298 on 03/09/2012 12:34 BST
Reply Quote
I might be selling my Echoing Fury :)
Reply Quote

The trick is as already mentioned the +0.2X attacks per second that counts for both weapons, its pretty much like 25% attackspeed from gear.

that only correct if you have a weapon with 0.8 attacks per second

if you have a weapon with 1.5 attacks per second then its "only" 13% attack speed :)
Reply Quote
Mhm, if i really want to BUY one i need to save up more then my 50m i guess. The prices for these maces with basecrit are insane...

But thank you for your answers =)
Reply Quote

that only correct if you have a weapon with 0.8 attacks per second

if you have a weapon with 1.5 attacks per second then its "only" 13% attack speed :)

Yeah 25% was over exaggerated.
I have a 1.2 MH so the jump was like 19-20% attackspeed, thats still a !@#$load for just 1 item.
It would be in the 20-21% AS range with a +0.25 attacks EF.
I mean thats like +8 AS from gloves and +2x6 from rings rogether.
I think it fits just perfect as OH for a slow MH, the slower the MH is the more valuable the +0.2x attacks per second get.

Mhm, if i really want to BUY one i need to save up more then my 50m i guess. The prices for these maces with basecrit are insane...

But thank you for your answers =)

Yeah i wasnt sure if i take one with 1100 dps or one in the 950 range with CD first, but after comparing both with dps calc the 950 one came out on top with something like 2,5-3k dps more with my 53,5 crit.
A lower critrate would favor the other one.

Im always overcareful and patient before spending big amounts and theorycrafting and calculating a lot ^^, thats also the reason why i still have just 80% gems in my weapons, 7-8m for a mere 10% CD aka 1,8k-2k dps increase isnt that cost efficient and i can probably get more bang for my buck with a good deal on the AH.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]