Diablo® III

[guide] Fastest* paragon lvling for monk.

*this build is the fastest way to farm as monk. not seen anyone been able to farm faster with any other build.

I was brain storming about how to get near barbs in speed and u know what? i did succeed. after a small week of testing i even made a barb freind reroll because i was faster.
13/9-2012 new record. around 47 mill xp/hour
proves?
http://da.twitch.tv/nisseonbeer/b/332011995 forgot show xp at end, so here is screenshot.
http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/9984/screenshot027se.jpg.

Most importent spells in the build is.
Tempest rush with tailwind. This is were the real speed is comming from.
Fist of thunder with thunder clap. Again help u get to the target faster.
Fleet footed. Again help u get to next target faster and it let u get a total of 35% move speed.

From here the last 3 spell + 2 passive can be used as u want.
i am trying both convict/owe and mantra of healing with circular breathing, to get more spirit regen.

This is the build i would recommand.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#acXgSQ!XUZ!aZbYcZ
I would use mantra of healing with spirit regen if u kill stuff insane fast or if u feel u need regen over dps.
Use conviction if u preffer the dps.
Sw with Master of Wind is another option. (tnx to IronMan1975 for pointing that out)

Personal i dont think or feel spirit regen is needed at any gear lvl for this build. did test without regen at 40kish dps and current gear. But i use regen for being able to TR more since i dont need stop up to hit white mobs most of the time. If u stop up often to do a few hits on some lonely skeletons/quills etc u get more then enough regen.

What to sack? SW-cyclone or conviction to get either circular breathing or master of wind.
Well, mantra of healing will give u spirit even if u are afk or in town, were SW dont help u regen faster, so if it runs out u still have the problem of needed to recast it(and thats were u normal is out of spirit if u got no regen)
2nd the dps loss from sacking cyclones is just as big as sacking conviction if not bigger, this really depends on ur gear lvl, tho.
to calculate the dps from cyclone procs u can use this formel.
Cyclone dps= DPS * CC * 2.25 / 100.

I also recommand you to use 2h, since for some reason it use less spirit when u channel Tempest rush since it scale on attack speed.(tnx to apathy for pointing that 1 out)

Basicly i use a standard cyclone build to kill rare packs/big groups insane fast. then i use tempest rush to get 65% move speed(feels faster then 65) between packs. when u tempest rush past barrels etc. u also restart the timer on SW so it wont fall off, so u dont need to worry about having spirit enough when u open on next pack. This build made my farming run take take 30 min from 45 min when i focus.
You dont really need my gear lvl for making the build work. If u can handle act 3 now u can handle it with this build. The build is work pretty awesome in all acts so if u dont farm act 3 but act 1 or 2 the build will also speed those runs up.

did just farm it with 3 monk today. 1 with dw and only 40k dps and another with 2h and 70k dps and it worked more then fine for us all 3.
1 of them is now ex ww barb and called the build 50% faster. His barb is pretty awesome geared so its not like its becasue his barb is !@#$ and his monk good geared. (tho 50% faster i dont think it is, but faster it is)

Any questions are more then welcome or suggestions to how to improve the build both here and ingame. love to share new idea's. Havnt made a name for the build so idea's for taht is welcome too.
if u feel to leave comment or correcting my awful gramma in the whole post i will be more then happy.
i also dont mind show the build in action ingame, i did try make some streaming of it the last few days while I was working on the build, so I will leave a link to the vidio, tho i am sry for the quality i dont know why it wont let me set it higher right now. working on it.
http://da.twitch.tv/nisseonbeer/b/331188121 (how i make the link work?)

PS. during the testing in 1 of the vidio's i did discover taht u cant press "2" for serenity in a chat box. lol died to it 3 times in a row since i try fight and chat on same time. haha. thought i woudl share this tip, atleast for the lol :-p
Edited by Nisse#2554 on 13/09/2012 09:44 BST
Reply Quote
Will try explain in words about the play style and what i do to make it work, since i get alot of question here and ingame about it.

First i would recommand to get 24% move speed from gear it really do a big diffrence.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#acXgSQ!XUZ!aZbYcZ
this is my standard build, tho if u got regen on gear u can use conviction, personal with my dps i preffer the extra regen since the mobs die so fast i dont regen enough when i hit them :-D i have seen some of my friends to start skip blazing wrath for SSS since its like a 2nd serenity, personal i need the heal to keep me alive and i like the higher overall base dmg from having blazing wrath but think SSS is worth a try, i used it before i went TR build.

If u feel u need spend to much time on looting or in general just is slow to do looting. SW will run off alot, and i mean ALOT! u have max 1 sec to loot in or u wont get to next mob in time. To fix this isue i would recommand u to run with SW-master of wind while u practice to loot faster.

Also if my SW run off when i am between packs i wont recast it on trash mobs unless there is enough mobs to make me go to full spirit again after i recast so i can get spirit enough to TR to next pack again. If u recast SW on a trash pack for end up with no spirit again u will have same problem again. So better to kill 1 pack with no SW up and run, so u can start with full buffs on the next 1.

Learning to loot fast is a importent factor for this build and many other builds. If u loot fast ur SW wont fall off and u will farm alot and i mean really ALOT faster.

1. get used to only loot ilvl 62 items and higher+rings,necks and gloves. some would want to loot all ilvl 61 weapons too but the chance ilvl 61 gear is worth money(more then 500k) is close to 0. Also i only loot potions/gems if my SW is going to fall off anyway.

2. to check loots ilvl hold down ctrl and mouse over. At some point u will learn all the names on the loot and u wont even need to check.

3. dont spend time vendor ur loot, drop in ur stash so u dont spend time running to the vendor more then once. That is also make team games faster so u dont need wait on ea other vendoring 24/7.

Why do i want to skip all this loot?
1. the first and biggest reason i skip loot is to make my farm go faster, evry time u stop up to loot is time u dont spennd killing for more xp.

2. the next biggest reason i skip loot is to get more loot. WTF what does he say? yes u did read it right, when u skip loot u kill more and faster and that make u kill more elites/hour for potential legendary and ilvl 63 drops and that that were the real money is. Personal i did start kill 20-30% more elites/hour from stopping to loot all yellow items.

3. i skip loot to make more money!! for same reason as above, more killing bigger chance for better drops. ilvl 61 armor is worth nothing on ah since they cant have enough stats + AH is flooded with ilvl 62 crafted items there make the price drop even more. the 100-200k gold u get from looting evrything to the vendor is close to the same u will loot in gold from mobs while grinding xp. lol!! so bascily its better to go grind more mobs then it is to pick more trash up. Also as stated above u will get more ilvl 63 items and 1 day it will be u there loot that 200 mill item.

Upcomming monk changes and what to change when they happend
I did a statement about u should skip double resi to get AR on all gear to skip owe(end gear)
with the new nerf comming to STI, u will already at 125(for me its 250 now)elemental resi make OWE be better then STI.
This meaning we will proberly be using OWE over STI. there is ofc a chance that the nerf on monster dmg will make us able to skip both passives but only the furture will tell.
Edited by Nisse#2554 on 15/09/2012 12:39 BST
Reply Quote
Deleted my previous post, because after some testing i can't live without tempest rush + 25% movement speed anymore, so you proved me wrong ;) Anyone reading this post should give it a try :).
Edited by Storm#2189 on 08/09/2012 18:39 BST
Reply Quote
06/09/2012 00:54Posted by Nisse
I also recommand u to use 2h, since for some reason it use less spirit when u channel Tempest rush (tnx to apathy for pointing that 1 out)

Bug that will get fixed ? if not I will buy a 2h for that reason alone!
Reply Quote
I completely agree that this is the best monk skill for farming, and this applies even if you don't have the best gear in the game. For normal monks, the following combination works very well:
- Tempest Rush/Tailwind
- Sweeping Wind/Master of Wind
- Exalted Soul

2 HANDED
Tempest Rush takes into account your attack speed when spending spirit...so the faster your attack speed, the more spirit that channeling it takes. Even dual wielding, i can cross vast areas with 250 spirit.

BLIND VS SERENITY VS BREATH OF HEAVEN
at first i dropped serenity to use tempest rush, but now i'm finding that breath of heaven is less useful. Blind is essential, because you pop it before sweeping wind to melt enemies super fast.

SWEEPING WIND
Unless you have super dps, or an Inna set, Master of Wind is essential for normal Monks.

MANTRA
As i don't yet have the best gear in the game like Nisse, even with 33k dps, i couldn't use Mantra of Healing/Circular Breathing for act 2...the elites just took too much time to take down in my view, so i stick with Mantra of Conviction/Overawe. So the mantra you can use really depends on your gear and survivability:
- low: Mantra of Evasion / Hard Target
- low/med: Mantra of Evasion / Backlash
- med: Mantra of Conviction / Overawe
- high: Mantra of Healing / Circular breathing

PASSIVES
When i switched to dual wielding, i needed one with everything and sieze the initiative (for act 2)...but the mandatory passive for normal monks to make Tempest Rush/Tailwind work is exalted soul. Every mob/pack fills up your spirit, which you then use to "rush" to the next pack.
Reply Quote
here is the defensive version of the tempest rush build, which will work for anyone:
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#acgYSh!UXb!aZYcaa

Once dps and/or resistances gets up there, or for an easier act, you can switch mantra of conviction/overawe, and possibly sieze the initiative can be switched to fleet footed.
Edited by IronMan1975#2411 on 06/09/2012 08:45 BST
Reply Quote
Yep, this works for me wonders. I have been clearing Act 3 much faster with Tempest Rush. The thing that helped the most was the passive Exalted Soul.
Reply Quote
we really need to come up with a cool name for the tempest rush builds !!!

"methamphetaMONK"
Edited by IronMan1975#2411 on 06/09/2012 10:10 BST
Reply Quote
06/09/2012 02:02Posted by Storm
So once again. Interesting build for people that find themselves at 100-150k+ damage and find that the only thing limiting them is their movement speed, but at or below 50k damage the farming world works entirely different :)

this is not true at all. the build is more then doable with less dps u just wotn smash the white mobs as u pass them but normal trash mobs will get 1 hit at 40k dps even. even at 1k dps u get some form of faster farm speed from getting forward faster. So if u are 1 of those there is stuck in act 1 or 2 and face rolling there (alot state they are) but cant handle act 3, this build will make those acts alot faster too.

06/09/2012 08:22Posted by IronMan1975
- Sweeping Wind/Master of Wind

wil add this too. tho i also want to point out, that the dps u lose from not getting cyclone procs is more then the dps u lose from overawe, by alot. Since u wont be spamming overawe in this build.
100k dps 40 cc and ur dps from cyclones alone is around 90k dps, will find the math for this later.
For not to mention when SW run out u don got spirit regen anymore, were u would keep get it from ur mantra, and u really first need the xtra regen when u have to recast sw, lol.

06/09/2012 10:09Posted by IronMan1975
"methamphetaMONK"

dont think blizz would love that name :-d
Edited by Nisse#2554 on 06/09/2012 10:48 BST
Reply Quote
06/09/2012 04:02Posted by Kapteinsabel
Bug that will get fixed ? if not I will buy a 2h for that reason alone!

think its intenden, basicly its a channel spell like frost ray from wz. the faster u channel the faster u do dmg with it and the faster u spend ur resource. Since we use it for move speed and the channel/cast speed dont seem to affect move speed I preffer slow weap for it.

If u DW just keep slow weap in MH and u should be fine, the TR and torndo's do more dmg that way too.
Reply Quote
Still a joke build compared to WW barbs.
Reply Quote
1) tempest rush is no joke...try it out and you'll see the potential

2) Nisse, you're right about the total damage output going down with Master of Wind, but remember that it takes time to build up to 3 stacks for cyclones to proc, and using another 75 spirit to recast it on the next group rather than using the spirit to rush

i tried mantra of healing/circular breathing yesterday for act 2, but i went back to overawe. And as you rightly stated, we can't spam it (except when dealing with fresh elites...and as long as i'm full on spirit when they die) because we need spirit to rush
Edited by IronMan1975#2411 on 06/09/2012 11:31 BST
Reply Quote
If you looking for a different approach you should stack spirit generators. This can be done fairly cheaply with fist weapons and spirit stones.

This will allows you to abuse wave of light. Wave of light has no cool down just relies on available spirit. As an attack it's awesome it's directional, has some long range damage and kill close together packs in one blow.

here two builds I've been using which incorporate the idea.

Dual weapon build
Using spirit stome and fist weapons to generate 5 Spirit per second.
(approx 30k damage 650res and 25k of health in act 2)

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#adgXeh!XdU!abcbbc

I use it to farm act 2 with 24% mobilty speed. Unfortunately i don't have the gear to make it work for act 3. However I have the gear to use my 2 hander effectively.

2 Hander Build

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#WdgeXh!XbU!abZbba

I have no good diabo so using a spirit stone, Amulet and ring to generate 5 spirit per second. See my profile for details of equipment.

I've loads of different styles but this just seems to be the quickest and most fun. Well for me anyway.
Reply Quote
06/09/2012 11:12Posted by Zodd

really?
http://da.twitch.tv/nisseonbeer/b/331243219
new vidio, were i actually farm with a barb, he got 24% movespeed to and close to same buffed dps as me. its me there is waiting on him most. so maybe think about ur statement again, or come on a barb and challange me in speed.

skip to the 5 min mark, since we was both getting phone calls in the start.

06/09/2012 11:30Posted by IronMan1975
2) Nisse, you're right about the total damage output going down with Master of Wind, but remember that it takes time to build up to 3 stacks for cyclones to proc, and using another 75 spirit to recast it on the next group rather than using the spirit to rush

ehh? does it matter whatt SW u need recast? it still cost 75? and u neeed recast urs more then i do, since u use it for spirit regen so u need it to be up, i dont., no??
If u dont need it to have near 100% uptime there is no point in taking it. when u are on a pack u dont need the regen from it in the first place.
the point of the build is to never really need to recast SW,.
2nd u get 3 stack in few secs anyway. on white mobs nothing of it really matter. on elite's cyclone beat convict in dps big time, tho thats not really the discussion. cant skip cyclone in my build will kill way way way to slow with the other sw. its pure math.
Cyclone: DPS * CC * 2.25 / 100.
Blade Storm: DPS * 0.15
so with 100k dps and 40 CC u would gain 90k dps from cyclones alone.= 190k dps
if u used conviction isntead u woudl gain + 24% dps only. will calculate it as 48% incase u kill rare packs slow enough to be able to spam it.(i kill them to fast for it)
0,48*100 =148k dps. + few more from sw then i do, not worth to calculate. but this clearly show that cyclone beat convict in dps. and even more on big aoe packs were ur cyclone hit stuff u dont melee.(they spawn from TR too)

so i lose dps and i lose regen time with master of the wind(since u need 100% uptime on SW to regen same amount), i see no + side from it, tho i did put it in my guide anyway.
also i gonna stream a run later were i do both cylone and convict and no regen to show that is viable too.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#WdgeXh!XbU!abZbba I've loads of different styles but this just seems to be the quickest and most fun. Well for me anyway.

Well ur build is quite alot slower the mine, by alot, think u shoudl try it out or check vidio, u cant use dash to rush between packs. dash really just do the same as fotc.
2nd u did link 2 "guides" inside a guide, thats kind of rude tbh.

would preffer if we keep the thread about this 1 build and were to improve. if we start discuss 4 builds in 1 post it will be a mess to read.
Edited by Nisse#2554 on 06/09/2012 14:58 BST
Reply Quote
Fleet footed stacks beyond 25% cap? Cool guide man, will try this today!
Reply Quote
Well ur build is quite alot slower the mine, by alot, think u shoudl try it out or check vidio, u cant use dash to rush between packs. dash really just do the same as fotc.
2nd u did link 2 "guides" inside a guide, thats kind of rude tbh.

Sorry I did not wish to cause offence I did not realise it was a discussion about your build. Furthermore I am not comparing builds that's a matter of individual taste.
Reply Quote
06/09/2012 15:43Posted by Demolition
Fleet footed stacks beyond 25% cap? Cool guide man, will try this today!

yes it does.
06/09/2012 16:17Posted by Muxton
Sorry I did not wish to cause offence I did not realise it was a discussion about your build. Furthermore I am not comparing builds that's a matter of individual taste.

No offence taken. and yes some will like this build, other preffer to be more tanky.
Reply Quote

really?
http://da.twitch.tv/nisseonbeer/b/331243219
new vidio, were i actually farm with a barb, he got 24% movespeed to and close to same buffed dps as me. its me there is waiting on him most. so maybe think about ur statement again, or come on a barb and challange me in speed.

skip to the 5 min mark, since we was both getting phone calls in the start.

Come back when you can farm quicker than this. http://www.twitch.tv/alkaizerx/b/331202639

Footage from a 2 player game doesn't mean anything. The Monk has a faster run speed to the next pack than a barb (which everyone already knows). But the Monk has to stop and mash Fist of thunder on every pack. A proper WWbarb has no downtime and should be melting through every pack without stopping.
Edited by Zodd#2205 on 06/09/2012 16:50 BST
Reply Quote
Zodd u are a joke, rather want o know what YOU can do and not waht the FASTEST PERSON in the world can do. lol. It would be liek to compare a 5k dps barb vs a 50k dps barb who clear fastest. lol.
2nd compare his vidio vs 1 of mine in same area, i am atually not that far behind, even equal in some places. immortal king last set bonus is pretty imba for "unlimit" furry, what monks have is a joke :-D

barb got 25% move speed + 40% from sprint + 20% speed from berserker, so barb move from pack to pack alot faster then monk in teori! so even when u try troll my post u fail horriple at it, thats kind of pathetic.
2nd i move a little slower but i kill rare packs faster.
3rd this post is made for the average players and above and i am way faster then other barbs at my lvl. the build is also new for me so i xpect to be faster in the future. u are ignored for now.
Edited by Nisse#2554 on 06/09/2012 17:00 BST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]