Diablo® III

[guide] Fastest* paragon lvling for monk.

13/09/2012 23:28Posted by sYstim
im noticing my only problem is health generation and survivability. i destroy elites if i can manage to stay alive... so ive been tweaking it a bit and went backlash with MoE and the 16% dodge FoT along with 30% of crit becomes dodge passive. This has let me last a lot longer, but still the health regen is an issue. I noticed you once had a non-life steal Skorn (around 1460+ dps just like mine) but now you do. I know life steal % is nerfed in inferno, so are you noticing a significant upgrade from the life steal gain and ~150 weapon dps loss?

that was alot of questions in so small text.
well first off. ur dps is a little low, maybe because of a missing ring.
yes i tested without LS for a day(impressed how many there did actually see that, lol)
without LS i felt it was to hard to stay alive and really had to nuke evrything in time to get health globes. with my current gear i get enough life back to stand in poison most fire crap, so yes it really do a big diffrence. Also if u farm act 3 i would say u need 80-100k dps before u can skip all kinds of regen and rely on healing globes alone.

U use alot of dodge spell, i would not go that way around. rahter get stuff ther give armor or resi, since the stuff their hurt is normaly stuff u cant dodge in the first place, stuff like fire and posion and arcane. i see u got 2 spirit items so u can afford to use another mantra then what i do. If i was u i would get LS weap and use conviction.
Also u need like 800 more dex, and u need it ALOT!! that would give u the needed dodge + another 800 armor. 800 armor = 80 AR in average.
overall ur gear is really bad compared to how good a weap u got. so i would work on that. LS skorn cost alot.

ps. sixth sense is crap. resolve is ALOT better. also cheat death is better if u ask me. u could swap to trans for the life regen too.
Edited by Nisse#2554 on 14/09/2012 01:31 BST
Reply Quote
@Nisse

Hello, I hope you got time to answer some of my questions as best you can.
While im at work i have been reading alot on the forums, and i have come to the conclusion that your skorn/Tempest rush monk seems pretty solid.
I had decent gear but was running with 1h + shield and with 4 piece inna i got the TR build working (to some extent), but without LS/LoH it felt abit sketchy tbh.
My bankroll was 10M~ so i couldnt afford to regear, but yesterday i found IK boots with MF and thought "ok, lets go for it". During the night i sold some of my old stuff and landed at a 200M~ bankroll. I bought a skorn for 60M(similar to yours, a little worse but not too much).

Now im at 16k hp, 480~ allres, 2300ish dex, 87k dmg unbuffed. (not wearing gloves, shoulders, and crappy bracers). Bankroll atm 120-140M.
Now thats alot of bankground info, now to the questions :D

1. Gloves: I was thinking high dex, high VIT, poison or all res, HIGH crit (9-10%) and attack speed (8%+). Do you think this is good or would you go for crit and critdmg? What is your thoughts on +AS?
2. Bracers: I was thinking dex, HIGH VIT, high all res+ poison res and low critdmg. Would you prefer lower HP and allres and getting more crit, or do you think the survivability is needed?
3. I will swap some of my old items to better ones if i can afford it (ex. innas pants for ones with poison res instead). If you got time, could you check my profile and say if there are any particular items you think i should swap out?
4. Last question: Do you think this regearing was worth it, or did i just waste a bunch of gold? :) Do you think this setup will speed up my farming/survivability (with the LS and whatnot).

I hope you got the time to answer my questions, even if it is alot of text. Appreciate it, sir!

/Bamof
Reply Quote
Hi Bamof

First off, its never a waste to regear if this will increase your fun afterwards :)

It's obviosly bad now, but as u mentioned u still have money, so u can make it work..

Now to ur questions...
- in my opinion even if you have 200k unbuffed dps, you need survivabiility, if you get frozen, u cant dps and ur instant dead....
- having 5k def is MINIMUM(after dex = armor u reach this easily)
- having 600 res is also minimum in my eyes
These def stats, are what im having atm, I play coop, but you should base ur playstyle on solo
Especially when the new system with more player(player 8 system) is coming out...

You should look at my gear
There are some parts, which can have certain affixes
For example gloves can be ULTRA offensive, so you shouldnt waste your time finding a glove with def stats....(i think if your going for a tempest rush build, you should get crit chance + dmg and not atk speed)
Braces for example can only have 1 offensive stat, you should focus on getting that + alot of res with dex/vit
shoulders can have little offensive stats, so focus on getting 100 + all res(with stacked)
and alot of vit(as u lack alot of it) and dex maybe mf or sth like that...

As for your own gear...
You lack hp big time, ur going to be 1 hitted every time u try dealing dmg...
If you really want to have full innas set(which in my opinion sux) because the belt + the armor lack any defensive stats, and arent bis items for offensive either...its just to get a low cost for SW...if you want it keep it(but ur other parts must have high vit if u want that...
if you dont u can look in my profile what u can also have on those parts....I know my equipment is going the mf way...and losing other stats doing so...but my hp is twice ur amount
and if I have ur skorn, i have 10k dps less.....
Edited by Bluefox#2931 on 14/09/2012 08:09 BST
Reply Quote
@Bluefox

Thanks for your reply,
You are right that i need more defenses. When i was running my old gear my shield used to grant me 240 vitality and 100ish all res which landed me at 33k hp and 600ish allres (the numbers you mentioned). I had gloves with AS, cc and CD and high dex, but all these parts had to be traded out to allow for skorn to come into play. So i had to sell old gloves and drop some offensive stats in order to make room for that lost vitality and all res.

So ill guess ill just try to max out as much CC/CD on gloves and bracers, while trying to get res and hp up to a reasonable amount. I guess 28k~ hp would be enough if i get res to 600+ and armor 6500-7000ish..
If i happen to find the kind of items im thinking i guess i would land around 130k dps unbuffed, which seems pretty decent.
Reply Quote
@bluefox tnx for answering question he ask me about O.o 2nd some of ur stuiff is missleading most of it is pretty good.. not sure how i should feel about it.

14/09/2012 06:45Posted by Bamof
Now im at 16k hp, 480~ allres, 2300ish dex, 87k dmg unbuffed. (not wearing gloves, shoulders, and crappy bracers). Bankroll atm 120-140M

well hard to tell u what u are lagging when u dont got ur full gear set.
atleast make sure to get resist on bracer and shoulder it will compensate for ur lower armor.
I run 7.5k armor 589 resist 36k hp, working just fine. on 485k ehp.
I would say u need around 450k+ ehp to be safe. thats the limit from being able to survive 1 bomb in keep 2. but i my self did run below 400k at some point could manage that too.

Innas set is amazing for this build. It help so much on the spirit since ur SW is almost free to cast so u dont need worry about it running of. The only reason i dont use full set is am to much in love with my current belt. lol.
the lag of resist u can copensate on the rest of ur gear. with bracer and should giving 100+ ea u should be fine.(dnt forget crit on bracer too) then u need more hp. get above 30k hp proberly even 40k even tho it gonna be hard. dont be afrraid of gemming for vitality if ur EHP is to low.

bluefox stated criit,/crit dmg over attack speed. for dps that true.
I would still recommand 3 slots with attack speed on.
Since skorn attack so slow that its nice to get some attack speed so it will feel less clunky to teleport form target to target with.

14/09/2012 08:53Posted by Bamof
I guess 28k~ hp would be enough if i get res to 600+ and armor 6500-7000ish..
that setup could work if u move from bad stuff like a boss :-D i would get 5k more hp then that.
Try get innas legs with vit or resi, goldind is pretty crappy :-D
Edited by Nisse#2554 on 14/09/2012 11:57 BST
Reply Quote
@Nisse

Thank you for a very good answer ! :)
Some answers/feedback to your post:
The reason i dont wear full gear is coz i sold them overnight and didnt have time to buy new ones (and wasnt sure what to buy) before work, sorry if it messed with ur head ;)

I will try to get as much VIT and allres stacked on bracers and shoulders like you mentioned, and try to keep as much offesiveness to gauntlets as possible. Also i was thinking AS would be better coz of the slow AS on skorn, thanks for confirming that!
Regarding the belt, i originally also wanted a witching hour, but the prices on a decent one was at the time way out of my league (got the Innas on bid for 14M). So i dont blame u for wanting to stick with it ! (we can swap belts if u want tho? :D)

Regarding my hp, i will try to get it as high as possible, but i think 40k is out of my league since i got only 16k atm and 3 slots to fill it in. (Unless i upgrade other stuff already equipped)

Last i wanted to point out i bought the cheapest innas pants at the time, thats why its 20 GF :D Probably could swap for some VIT/res now.

Again, thanks for a very thorough answer.
Reply Quote
Nisse Feedback here or in that post plz :D

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5326943052?page=1#19
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I just tried your build with Skorn 2-hander and also my set of 2 x 1-handed weapons (previously i was using SSS instead of Tempest Rush and mantra of conviction instead spirit regen one), and for me 2 x 1-hander works better, at least from point when i got used to spec.

That works, for sure, and for sure is faster for me. I didn't had enough time to test what's exact difference - earlier on my "route" i was getting approx 20-22m of experience / hour, atm i hope to get to around 35m / hour.

And from my point of view it's not comparable with good barbarian using ww spec, but hey - we are not barbarians, and i believe Blizzard will somehow nerf fury generation soon...
Reply Quote
15/09/2012 11:32Posted by Anaart
And from my point of view it's not comparable with good barbarian using ww spec
hmm, find 3 barbs there loot and farm faster then me on my last vidio. not seen any proofs for anyone being faster yet, tho i know there proberly is some. since i did meet a monk on EU other day and i think he farm faster then me.

I did a statement about u should skip double resi to get AR on all gear to skip owe(end gear)
with the new nerf comming to STI, u will already at 125(for me its 250 now)elemental resi make OWE be better then STI.
This meaning we will proberly be using OWE over STI. there is ofc a cahnce that the nerf on monster dmg will make us able to skip both passives but only the furture will tell.

This pretty much suck for most top monks since they have wasted millions on gold to swap to AR. personal i spend more then 500 mill to get arcane resi to all resist for no reason(same stats) reason most wanted to use STI over OWE is that STI scale with our gear. more dedx = more armor. thought i wanted to share that with u all.
Edited by Nisse#2554 on 15/09/2012 12:35 BST
Reply Quote
i can say with absolute confidence that with 45k dps, act 3 farming with tempest rush is a piece of cake for me with my build, which uses exalted soul passive, and most importantly, the Master of Wind rune for Sweeping Wind (after blinding flash buff)...and i don't use breath of heaven.

this is a very important breaking point for me...at 41k dps, i would die a few times on some tough elites, but at 46k dps, it's really a piece of cake...elites go down really fast.

why not fleet footed +10% movement speed? well, most of my walking is done using TR/Tailwind, so i'll get 25% instead. at some point, of course i'll need inna's pants for movement speed, and if we can drop STI in the future, then i'll have 25% + 10% plus whatever movement speed we have on gear

EDIT: my resistances did also go up from 700 to 745...Natalya's boots gave me the extra dps and resistances (i had already found the ring in act 2).
Edited by IronMan1975#2411 on 15/09/2012 21:29 BST
Reply Quote
Nisse, right now i cant see you streaming. but when i could i would like to.
so... what is your stream schedule? cuz i saw in the previous videos that you stream once a 1-2-5 days..

any way great monk, you can estimate the total gear price?
Reply Quote
Nisse, right now i cant see you streaming. but when i could i would like to.so... what is your stream schedule? cuz i saw in the previous videos that you stream once a 1-2-5 days..any way great monk, you can estimate the total gear price?

i dont got streaming schedule, my quality is to low to have viuwers, so i just make some vidios here and there to keep people inspired and give them a goal to what they should build after.

my gear price dunno, what i spend or what its worth is 2 diffrent thing for not to mention it change all the time. 1-2 billion i would think i did spend on it, so thats nothin compared to the guys on top 10. For instant, did just lost a bid on a neck had to lend some gold from freinds but in total we could bid 520 mill for a imba neck(was a 10k dps upgrade) still was not enough.
My point is some say wow at my gear in casual world but in the "hardcore" world its like omfg lol scrub :-D check the gear on these guys, lol.
http://www.diabloprogress.com/rating.stat_dps_unbuffed/class.monk

but if u want this dps lvl cheapest reroll barb. cost 20% of it. since they can get their regen/life steal on belt, already there they saved 500 mill.
Reply Quote
fleet footed:

I'm feeling really weird about this passive.
I play 100% of my time coop with my brother, he plays wizard, he has 24 % moving speed from items
I have 23 %
When I use fleet footed, and we run EXACTLY the same way. I'm faster than him, and I arrive

0.00000001 % earlier at mobs, its just not noticeable. the 10% is in my opinion (if u already have 24%) really useless. Using any other passive is alot more usefull in my opinion....
Reply Quote
fleet footed:

I'm feeling really weird about this passive.
I play 100% of my time coop with my brother, he plays wizard, he has 24 % moving speed from items
I have 23 %
When I use fleet footed, and we run EXACTLY the same way. I'm faster than him, and I arrive

0.00000001 % earlier at mobs, its just not noticeable. the 10% is in my opinion (if u already have 24%) really useless. Using any other passive is alot more usefull in my opinion....

Are you sure?
I make some run, but alone, taking time with a timer, and it seems to me, even looking at the movement, that the difference is noticeable instead.
i'd like to try more with someone to see if we can avoid that passive
Reply Quote
hello there, want to ask that do you use TF to get to next pack of elite or next pack of white mob and stop only when your spirit is low , so u can hit the next pack of white mob to gain back spirit, or just mow through white mobs just to kill elites.

Currently i have 600 all res, with no additional movement speed(currently trying to get boots with ms), used almost the same build as Nisse, just that im using exalted soul, but the upkeep of my spirit isnt enough.

And also due to my helm, i melt literally in molten packs, so i assume that i need to change my helm too.

For some hard elites like with desce , jailer , frozen tag with them , you can still die if your all res is low, so whats the min alll res i should go for?

And maybe i may get the 4 set of inna's for the sweeping wind reduction, really seems helpful.

My overall dps now is about 68k unbuffed, but will surely drop after i change my helm and some other gear, so even so 50k + dps is suffice for act 3 i assume?

Sorry for the long post! And hope someone can clarify things out with me thx !!
Reply Quote
18/09/2012 08:46Posted by eggisbad
hello there, want to ask that do you use TF to get to next pack of elite or next pack of white mob and stop only when your spirit is low , so u can hit the next pack of white mob to gain back spirit, or just mow through white mobs just to kill elites.

move to next pack of mobs. 3 mobs or less i ignore unless i need spirit its not worth the effort to stop for so few mobs.

For some hard elites like with desce , jailer , frozen tag with them , you can still die if your all res is low, so whats the min alll res i should go for?

cant tell. did run 300 ress succesfull. Just dont get frozen and its possible to not get frozen. save serenity for if u get unluckey. overall its a eazy combo.

My overall dps now is about 68k unbuffed, but will surely drop after i change my helm and some other gear, so even so 50k + dps is suffice for act 3 i assume?
yes its enough for act 3. some tank monks had only 12k dps in the start. 50k is also enough to make it worth going a TR build.

17/09/2012 15:41Posted by Bluefox
just tested with a barb. he had 25% i had 24% + fleet. we run from a to B. i come to B faster then him. i can feel a big diffrence to be fair. feel free to use exalted soul instead. "any other passise" hmm? really? dont troll in my post. ty.
Reply Quote
my setup at 50k dps works great for act 3, but my resistances are 774, and i use enchantress for powered armor buff to get me to 6279. if that's tough for you to match, then keep your helm and switch out your rings for ones that can do alot more damage to compensate for your lower damage reduction.

i don't think anyone is skipping white mobs...whether you want xp or high level drops, kill everything.

i don't think you can get away with Mantra of Healing without 100k+ dps...try mantra of conviction. also, i don't use breath of heaven...i pop blinding flash for 60% damage buff, then SW/Master of Wind (which carries the damage buff for 20 seconds)...when i reach elites, my buffed Sweeping Wind does alot of damage, plus i still have blinding flash and MoC ready to melt them.

Fill your spirit on the first mob you meet, pop your mantra and buffs, and use TR to move from one pack to another. Try to keep a bit of spirit left to use in case you face an elite pack, and don't spam MoC too much when an elite is close to dying, as you'll need your spirit to TR to the next group.

EDIT (SW/Master of Wind) : http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#acgYSk!UXb!aZYcaa

EDIT FYI (SW/Cyclone): http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#acgXSk!UXb!aZYbca
Edited by IronMan1975#2411 on 18/09/2012 22:07 BST
Reply Quote
Nisse you come at location B faster, ye like 1 second, which is like useless....

Trust me take 10 % more moving speed, 34 against 24..go stand next to each other, and run...
U will be faster but its so low that its making u faster for like 30 seconds in a full run....

And I was talking about coop, where if u get there faster, wont help u much. On solo its more usefull i guess..
Reply Quote
Nisse you come at location B faster, ye like 1 second, which is like useless....Trust me take 10 % more moving speed, 34 against 24..go stand next to each other, and run...U will be faster but its so low that its making u faster for like 30 seconds in a full run....And I was talking about coop, where if u get there faster, wont help u much. On solo its more usefull i guess..

1 sec on between ea pack is alot. and its more then 30 sec on a whole act 3 run. on alkaizer route its around 30 sec for me. 30 sec out of a 10-12 min run is quite alot. there is no other passive there can reduce my farm time by wooping 30 sec. exalted soul can in some runs were i am unluckey or for people there is slow to loot and need higher spirit cap for SW.

for team games evrything differ depending how good team u farm with. this post is based on solo play all the way if u read all the many posts and in the guide.
So ur teocrafting about team games u can plz keep in ur own guide. Since if people is so bad to run as u say in ur team games u shouldt use a TR build in the first place. no point!! or even leave TR out and take fleet foot.
Edited by Nisse#2554 on 18/09/2012 21:10 BST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]