Diablo® III

* Tempest Rush Guide 2.04 Monk TR Builds *

(Sticky)

And should i get an inna with spirit regen?
Reply Quote
After a bit of testing, here are a few additional notes, runes and skills that work exceptionally well for the TR Monk to help melt through packs:

PERMANENT TEMPEST RUSH
Even with 12 spirit per second, i could still not establish a permanent tempest rush, so do not be discouraged if your spirit is 8 to 9.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#bcTYSk!cZd!cZ.cbc
This is a very good build for TR, using SSS for elites

PRIMARY:
Deadly Reach / Foresight
- 18% damage buff
This helps to increase all damage types. This should be established before sweeping wind, and refreshed every 30 seconds.

MANTRA:
Mantra of Conviction / Submission
- 14% weapon damage per second in the 20 yard area
This ensures that enemies are taking damage before you reach them and after you pass them

SWEEPING WIND:
Sweeping Wind / Fire Storm
- increases range of SW to 14 yards
This ensures that enemies are taking damage before you reach them and after you pass them

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#bcgXSk!cbd!cZYbbc
This also works quite effectively:

ADDITIONAL BUFF:
Breath of Heaven / Blazing Wrath
- 15% damage buff for 45 seconds
An additional damage buff, but as this drains spirit, you would benefit by using serenity instead of SSS and Exalted Soul instead of Fleet Footed (the slightly slower speed actually helps ensure packs are dead as you pass them).
IMPORTANTLY, if 1.07 removes the permanent SW buff from blinding flash, then this will be an important alternative
Edited by IronMan1975#2411 on 28/01/2013 10:55 GMT
Reply Quote
UPDATED FOR 1.07...enjoy :)
Reply Quote
the guide has been updated with a very good rout for elite farming:

So far, the best i have seen for MP1+ is from Indigo (or InogoMontoya):
http://diablo3blog.blogspot.com/2013/02/indigo-legendary-mf-farming-route.html
* Vault of the Assassin
* Black Canyon Mines
* Road to Alcarnus
Edited by IronMan1975#2411 on 17/02/2013 10:40 GMT
Reply Quote
major update to the guide for version 1.07 to include mid level elite & DE farming using the buffed Wave of Light skill.
Reply Quote
just wanted to say that cyclone strike works like a charm with TR it speeded up my leveling by alot
i can do easy mp3 alkaizers in 10min solo did it bit faster with dh

mp1 with submission and inner storm
Edited by LordShiva#2954 on 24/02/2013 13:30 GMT
Reply Quote
just wanted to say that cyclone strike works like a charm with TR it speeded up my leveling by alot

mp1 with submission and inner storm

Been working on a similar idea on MP5. The hardest part of the build was dropping OWE and things still being comfortable.

The build

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#UcSfXQ!cdX!bZcZ.Z

It will not be as good as using blinding flash/Wave of light combo for elites but I find its better for general packs and farming.
Reply Quote
major update to the guide for version 1.07 to include mid level elite & DE farming using the buffed Wave of Light skill.

Boy oh Boy!

I'm having so much fun, I'm converting former WW twirly barbs now!

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6689849477

Just insanely fast low MP farming of loot / essences / exp...
Reply Quote

LordShiva, were you using cyclone strike for white mobs or just for elites? As for DH being faster, i am quite sure that the builds in the guide for xp farming (MoC/Submission, SW/Firestorm, SSS or Bells) are way way faster than a DH. Then again, i think that my xp farming was most efficient on MP0 and MP1, so let me know or add me in game to discuss further.

Been working on a similar idea on MP5. The hardest part of the build was dropping OWE and things still being comfortable.

The build

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#UcSfXQ!cdX!bZcZ.Z

It will not be as good as using blinding flash/Wave of light combo for elites but I find its better for general packs and farming.

Muxton, It's cool that you found a good setup for MP5 with 150k dps. For me, since elites are more likely to drop legendaries, i find that they are my primary goal of any type of "farming"...even on lower mp levels (aka mp 1 or 2), i can finish many more elites than the added magic find of higher mp levels since they can take longer.

Boy oh Boy!

I'm having so much fun, I'm converting former WW twirly barbs now!

Wired, welcome to the wonderful world of TR monks...we do indeed rock...woot woot !
Reply Quote
Community
About time we stickied this I reckon :)
Reply Quote
Hi all,

First of all i am not trying to offend anyone here, but since I am a TR monk myself I do disagree with this skill set-up and also with the cost of the gear you say you need on the mp level you suggest/ dps.

Firstly:
I dont think after Tempest Rushing from mob to mob you can still use the Wave of Light at least twice since not every elites dies from one hit of it. that skill is just not efficient since you just dont have enough amount of spirit for that action. Especially is you dont have Exalted Soul as the third passive along with The Guardians Path and Chant of Resonance. I am playing with two character of mine so i dont have a templar with me but i just dont suggest you use WoL, but instead here is what i use:

You need to take out serenity its more effective if you use Seven sided strike with the lower CD rune instead.
With Seven Sided Strike (depending on your dps) you can very effectively kill any mob pack under a second and it is a much cheaper spirit spender and you are also immune for the duration of that effect+with LS wepon you heal up to max :)
Also with Breath of heaven you can buff your DPS for all the time also get that extra heal for the dangerous situations.

I also use instead of Thunderclap, Deadly Reach with Foresight Rune for 30s 18% extra dps it is just my personal reference but i will explain why i use it.

Secondly:

This is coming from the first problem you can not maintain your spirit at all the time to keep TR-ing the whole map, unless you got over 4.xx spirit regen from gear and most of the ppl have less than that which means you need to stop time by time. Since i run with 2 characters i dont have that extra regen from the templar, and need to stop sometimes hitting the mobs even if i hit only 1-3. thats enough time to fill up the spirit pool and here comes in the Deadly Reach very often i can keep up Deadly Reach bonus dmg, especially when i need it.

With my main monk i have just over 170K dps+30% elite dmg from SoJ unbuffed and with my second char just over 150K unbuffed+SoJ
Also i have mixed they mantras/sweeping winds while they try maintain the spirit regen.
And with Overawe i still have to turn back and finish off mobs with 2 TR monk running after each other. The elites are no issue since Seven Sided Strike kills them off under a sec but sometimes the trash mobs just wont go down even on mp-0-1

So i think its not accurate anyone can farm the mp2-and over efficiently from the budget of 50mill.
Especially cos you not using OwE in the suggested skillbuild and the 50mill build is not enough when you need high allres at higher mp levels so here need to choose either i lose one of my passives for OwE or using a very high Allres gear wich is really costly even i dont have that gear, and i play a lot.

I think the most efficient level is still mp-0 or if you must mp1 but not over especially with the TR as main damage dealer skill.
Reply Quote
@loga

1. i like your amulet :)

2. i think you need higher spirit regen. 2.1+ on innas and SOJ.

3. you should craft yourself a good pair of gloves without IAS. you could even replace your innas pants with one with only 8% IAS

4. you could boost your dps, if you buy a skorn without LS but more dps. Important: skorns AS needs to be 1.00 (no IAS on the skorn). skorns with >1400dps are quite cheap on the AH.

5. if WOL had the "invulnerability" that SSS does, it would be even better. i think its a matter of choice, if you prefer WOL or SSS.

At the end i want to thank IronMan1975 for this awesome guide
Reply Quote
1. Thanks and i like your Shoulder piece since i am a cold resist monk.

2-4.irrelevant i wasnt asking for help here

5. personal reference

My comment above was about:
6. Please show me you one hit TR-ing creeps on mp1-2 with 100k DPS or mp4-5 with 175k dps with that build, but other than one hitting is unefficient so one hit them. Making endless circles around mobs is not allowed.
Reply Quote
5. you wrote about inefficiency of WOL. i told you, you need more spirit regen.

conclusion: more spirit makes WOL efficient. you can cast 2 WOLs if neccessary and you are still faster than SSS + WOL has no cooldown.

im referring to low MP farming. it IS possible on mp0 and mp1. i dont know if it is possible on higher mp´s though.
Edited by KennyMcC#2931 on 27/02/2013 00:10 GMT
Reply Quote
The breaking points suggested in this guide are for a ELITE farming build. This significant difference is that it is not designed to kill white mobs at all. I think it's stated quite clearly that the build is meant for farming Legendarys and Demonic essences, not exp.
Reply Quote
Oh than i did missed that!
Reply Quote
Hello fellow monks, i have been running this: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#ecXTSQ!cdb!bZbcYZ spec for a while, and i must say its amazingly fast if you are farming lower mps. As you can see i'm not running much spiritregen items, instead i'm using spirit regen skills. I usually farm on mp1 myself alternating VoTA runs with act3 runs.

The playstyle i use is like this:

Keep mantra and blazing wrath buffs up.

Keep 3 stacks SW up (refresh it manually if needed, you gain more spirit than you lose by doing that with 4-p inna's)

When reaching elites there is only one affix to look out for, thats reflect damage(with life steal skorn you can probably ignore reflect damage), if the pack has reflect dmg, simply use Seven Sided Strike, if it doesnt just kill it with 1-2 bells!

It might feel wierd not using a spirit generator, but its really not needed and if you run with more spirit reg than i do, its gonna be even easier.

I guess if you have a nice Stone of Jordan and a high spirit reg inna head, you can even run with MoC.

If you like the TR builds, try this out, i promise its amazing!

Yours, Gottan
Reply Quote
26/02/2013 12:35Posted by Takralus
About time we stickied this I reckon :)

Taklarus...wow thanks. I'll do my best to keep the guide updated.

26/02/2013 16:56Posted by loga
First of all i am not trying to offend anyone here, but since I am a TR monk myself I do disagree with this skill set-up and also with the cost of the gear you say you need on the mp level you suggest/ dps

Ioga, as Armeleon pointed out, the first section of the guide is for elite farming, where we totally skip white mobs. The second section of the guide deals with xp farming with a completely different skill set, where MoC/Submission and SW/Firestorm are your main sources of damage. Similarly relating to the budget of 25-50 million, that is to get started for xp farming, but if you find that all resist gear is too expensive, that is why i have serenity in most of the builds.

Hello fellow monks, i have been running this: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#ecXTSQ!cdb!bZbcYZ spec for a while, and i must say its amazingly fast if you are farming lower mps

Gottan, i like your thinking...there is tremendous potential to run without a spirit generator. I had a bit of trouble with it on higher mp levels, but it's alot of fun on the lower MPs.
Reply Quote
Woohooo sticky!
Reply Quote
27/02/2013 15:48Posted by Omar
Woohooo sticky!

Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]