cyclones more effective

PROS EF/WKL
dual wield hits a lot more often -> more LoH, more cyclones
WKL damage increase doesn't display, 20%+ increase for FoT and cyclones
nearly twice as much spirit gain

discuss?
Edited by dit#6383 on 27/09/2012 11:49 BST
Reply Quote
I tried echoing fury+wkl 25% both cost me like 200m w/o gems. Was great combo cyclones was poping like crazy and thunderclap dmg was great (105kdpz) w/o loh or ll i manage to farm whole a3 with 1-2 deaths max. Now with skorn 75m only w/o gem i have more fun. In the first runs i was disappointed cause of low speed ( i get used to hit like crazy) but after some runs and with proper skills i enjoy my monk more. Atm i uually one shot rare packs with SSS and i lol on the rest of the mobs. If u ask me both playstyles are fun and effective if u play right. The only advandage is that u can find awesome skorn with 1/3 budget.
Reply Quote
thanks for the input, exactly what i was hoping for... and that's a very impressive skorn you have too.

apart from the obvious HUGE price difference, is there a big difference in actual real-time DPS? the paper doll DPS is very deceptive.

basically which setup helps you kill quicker?

EDIT: the one thing i dislike about the slower speed of a 2h weapon is that it's easier to get surrounded and stun locked by mobs... whilst with quicker speed you're hitting them so often you stun lock them, and they cant hit back as often... obviously this is what i noticed at my lower dps, 50-70k, i am assuming at 150-200k it would be different
Edited by dit#6383 on 27/09/2012 11:36 BST
Reply Quote
Well,, i have not tryed using a skorn,.
But i really like my WKL off.. the dmg is low on paper, but my kill speed is really fast, because of the high dmg on cyclons..
And i like the 2 aps and high spirit regeneration :)

You should try a WKL
Reply Quote
Well the main problem with 2h is the spirit . With slower hits u get less spirit and if u dont have 4innas SW is a huge problem cause u cant spam it. If i cant pass 100k dps with skorn u will be disappointed. I am ok cause when i charge on mobs on 1-2 hits they are dead and on rare packs with sss i manage to kill them fast. In order to be able to be effective with2h i believe that you have to reach 150k dps atlest. On the other hand 2w is bettercause u regen spirit faster and u can spam more skills plus high speed+ wkl 20-25% boost on your cyclones and thunderclap u can reach a very nice dps . More cyclones with faster swing speed = more dmg . To sum up imo focus on your gear first and then choose the right weapon for you. For high end gear both specs are viable
Reply Quote
i bought a 950 dps WKL with 150 dex and a socket (150 int but no vit) with only 19% light dam increase though (but got it very cheap), just looking for a nice 1100+ dps echoing fury with 150+ dex and a socket, they are rare and expensive though

is it worth getting a lower dps WKL with 24-25% light dam in your opinion? i'm a bit hesitant considering it's unsure exactly what effect the stat has

i'm also considering selling it all and just getting a nice skorn, will be much higher dps, higher dex and higher crit chance than the fury+wkl setup, but twice as slow

EDIT: stelol, good point on the spirit, added it. i guess skorn makes sence if you have 4 pieces of inna's for the (almost) free sweeping wind
Edited by dit#6383 on 27/09/2012 11:50 BST
Reply Quote
Well in my opion higher dps = more benefit of wkl. For example lets say ur cyclone hit for 100k + 25% from wkl= 25k boost. With echoing fury speed = more hits per second= more cyclones= more dmg. With 120k dps and 20% boost to light from wkl = 24k dps boost etcetc i hope i get what i mean
Reply Quote
Be carefull on echoing fury buying. Use dps caltulator before u buy any. Search on google for asia gaming d3 dps caltulator . I found this program very usefull but iam logged from phone and cant link it , dunno why -.-
Reply Quote
I have paid 65m for my EF and 80m for my WKL.
When buying WKl u should aim for 6% more dmg and at least 22% more Lightning dmg. Socket of course and critdmg would be rly nice, if not, take LL.

I am at 108?k DPS unbuffed, and i kill nearly every(!) rare/championpack in 1 Serenity duration and have 1s left.
--> Spotting rare, attack, then pop Blind and MoC, than Serenity --> Dead
Only runnig away mobs are pain in the !@#.

Maybe i will try Skorn in 1.05, but i like Dualwield ore cuz of fast attacks. Feels good.
Reply Quote
i love using skorn.. it not the best 1.. but for 6m.. i think it is pretty decent.. also.. i feel like there is no real need for SW Cyclone with Skorn since i kill all packs in mattre of seconds anyway.. without the need to reset SW i can spam MoC more often..tough since i got rally low LoH.. sometimes i might have problems with reflect mobs.. if they have shielding or teleporting/waller.. but overall.. i dun have problems taking down packs even when playing with 4 ppl..
Reply Quote
Remember reading somewhere the lightning bonus on WKL does not apply when SW is activated off the other weapon. Not sure if this is right, can anyone confirm it?

Also with monster power and all, it seems a waste to be spending several tens of millions on a weapon that does not have a lifesteal roll... Either way I'll be waiting for 1.05 hoping prices will drop. Will give me some time to think on it aswell.
Edited by Inferno#2451 on 30/09/2012 10:15 BST
Reply Quote
I think it all depends on what EF & 1H weaps you are using in comparison to the skorn. I have not found a skorn yet that gives me more dps that my current EF/mace combo, and as it is there's room for improvement on my weapons (although they are extremely rare to find). I just feel that there's more opportunity for upgrade with 1H weaps, especially if you're talking end-game stuff.

imo EF/1H > Skorn
Reply Quote
i run 2h monk and find it rly funy, i dont use skorn and dont have it in plan, runing with Maximus and find rly rly funy clearing rooms full of trash with Exploding palmp/essence burn. Its look sometime as artilery fire support :-D problem is find good Maximus AH is full of skorn with dex 180+ CD and socket for crazy low prices but at some time on AH is max 5 x maximus with dex CD 60+ and socket .-( And i rly like this sword deamon from have rly good dps and fire chan is rly funy thing specialy if you learn it use it agains mobs :-D
Reply Quote
I think it all depends on what EF & 1H weaps you are using in comparison to the skorn. I have not found a skorn yet that gives me more dps that my current EF/mace combo, and as it is there's room for improvement on my weapons (although they are extremely rare to find). I just feel that there's more opportunity for upgrade with 1H weaps, especially if you're talking end-game stuff.

imo EF/1H > Skorn

I wonder how you are going to face 1.0.5. high MP's....?
You gear is epic, but its all full dmg. If your dps doesnt kill them fast enough, you will certainly die fast, cuz you have like 0 survivability stats....dont u think u need more?

I am asking that because I have problems deciding to buy more dps, or more survivability..
Reply Quote
You gear is epic, but its all full dmg. If your dps doesnt kill them fast enough, you will certainly die fast, cuz you have like 0 survivability stats....dont u think u need more?

I am asking that because I have problems deciding to buy more dps, or more survivability..

I've seen guys streaming their DPs monks on PTR with 150k unbuffed @ MP10, and they seem to do fine. I'm convinced that I will hold up just fine. At the moment I kill fast enough to not even use half of what I have available, so surely if I use more I'll manage. Health Globes more than sustains me and sure it will post 1.0.5.

The best defense is often a strong offense. that's where I find my survivability :)
Edited by TheShadow#2231 on 01/10/2012 09:46 BST
Reply Quote
TRyiing echo + another rare item (600m setup) its fun to hit fast but i lose 25-30k dps and it dont fit to my play style.

i think if low dps Dw setup is best since u will prberly run LoH setup anyway.
At high dps whatever u go depends on build and play style.
Reply Quote

I've seen guys streaming their DPs monks on PTR with 150k unbuffed @ MP10, and they seem to do fine. I'm convinced that I will hold up just fine. At the moment I kill fast enough to not even use half of what I have available, so surely if I use more I'll manage. Health Globes more than sustains me and sure it will post 1.0.5.

The best defense is often a strong offense. that's where I find my survivability :)
I'd do fine too if I had your gear. Nice monk you got there, damn.
Reply Quote
Yeah Im debating on switching but im so invested now with the Skorn...
Reply Quote
I have been using Skorn now for a while and i enjoy it very much. I only need more hp and resists to be able to farm mp 10 properly (28k hp lol). Managed to buy my Skorn for 97m which is extremely lucky for this one ^^. Imo Explosive light bells works nicely with Skorn as my bells usually crits over 3m.

If anyone got Tal Rasha's armor with similar stats and all res, I would really like to talk about it ;)
Reply Quote
Hi Dit,

I've used both Skorn and WKL/EH setups. DW was fun as the Cyclones pop everywhere, LS/LoH is fairly consistent to keep you topped up and you have a few build options you can use.

Skorn is a different story,with the same budget you will find yourself clearing a lot faster (mainly due to the cost of 2 x 1H weapons/gems) I currently use this build at 120k DPS to clear MP7 without issues, it is also the fastest moving build in the game and allows you to perform the fastest MP0 farm (which provides a lot of legendary drops). It has it's drawbacks, gear is very specific and takes some crafting to get the highest EHP possible, LS is somewhat sporadic due to WoL and you're almost stuck with Innas and SoJ (you can drop 4 Piece Innas if you keep SW up consistently by hitting enemies - but if you're still stopping to collect yellows then 4 Piece is kind of required).

The build is also lends itself naturally to group plays with WoL swapped with Cyclone (SoJ needs swapping too).

Check out Armeleon for high end gear for the build.

EDIT: The Skorn build I've mentioned is with the TR/Palm/WoL spec, there are other specs where Attack Speed is a desired stat, but often gear becomes more expensive.
Edited by Seawad#2453 on 05/04/2013 09:07 BST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]