Diablo® III

SC2 style map creation....

Hey All,

I had an interesting thought the other day while playing SC2. Why cant blizzard create a map "Designer" tool for people to use like in SC2.

That way people could design different maps ect with different objectives and different variations.

All they would have to do is limit the amount or type of monsters to a certain amount of points I.E. on a map you are only allowed say 10 000 monster points and in the tool each monster along with difficulty would have a scalable points system. Allowing you to create different maps with totally differant monsters ect that you are able to play and break the boredness of the acts now.

It would also pretty much kill half the posts on the forum because most of the posts are about "PvP" and not enough variation in maps and play. They could do what they did with SC2 and use the internet as their ally to do most of the work for them...they just need to put the tool out there.

Im no programmer so i wouldnt know the mechanics behind it all and if its viable or not but if you look at SC2 it cant be much more differant and im sure people out there would love to create new "Side Objectices" ect
Reply Quote
Its proably viable but also would be very much abusable. Somone would within minutes create an optimized farming map. What comes to my head is first look at the easiest elite typ then a long narrow passage with elite group after elite group after elite group + 100s of gobling spawns 100% of the time mixed up with the elites.

Or maybe even better. 5 goups of elites in a passage with just enought distance to kill them one group at the time. Then a field so dense with goblins that you can almost not pass thrugh them but also constructed in a way that the goblins cant run that faar. Then AoE the !@#$ out of all of them at once. rince and repeat...

..that s why.....

hmm just saw u wrote about limiting monsters. Well still, either u could make a map that is more profitable to farm than the once allready in game. Then someone would make that map and bot the hell out of it or u can t (because the monster point or whatever limit the possibilities) and people wouldn t use it. It s a farming game not an adventure game.
Edited by KAM#2158 on 17/10/2012 08:22 BST
Reply Quote
Community
I had an interesting thought the other day while playing SC2. Why cant blizzard create a map "Designer" tool for people to use like in SC2.

That way people could design different maps ect with different objectives and different variations

Nobody says that we couldn't do something like this at some point in the future, but there is no plans for it right now :-)

Here is a question for everyone; if we were to create a map editor for Diablo III akin to the one we have for StarCraft II, which features would you like to see the most? i.e. which features would be the most important?
Reply Quote
I see it as possible they might produce a map editor one day if interest in the game remains. But it will be very limited due to the online only...to..."Protect the integrity of the game (read auction house) ethos that D3 is built around".
Reply Quote
Community
Its proably viable but also would be very much abusable. Somone would within minutes create an optimized farming map.

I see it as possible they might produce a map editor one day if interest in the game remains. But it will be very limited due to the online only...to..."Protect the integrity of the game (read auction house) ethos that D3 is built around".

Indeed these would be real issues that will have to be taken into account if we were ever to release such an editor. There would most likely need to be certain limitations and restrictions put in place, or perhaps custom maps would only be playable using a separate character similar to the way Hardcore mode works separately from Normal mode:-)
Edited by Vaneras on 17/10/2012 09:19 BST
Reply Quote
It would be botmap galore: make a map with 5 easy champpacks, followed by a large hall filled with treasure gobs or something.
Reply Quote
I think basicly with the restrictions you would need to put in place it probably wouldn't be worth it to the hardcore modders out there.
Reply Quote
17/10/2012 09:17Posted by Vaneras
perhaps custom maps would only be playable using a separate character similar to the way Hardcore mode works separately from Normal mode:-)

An "Arcade" mode, with customizable maps and some kind of editor, would be really fun.
Obviously without any AH, to prevent scams.

Then a "Ladder" mode, with a separate AH (gold only), Hardcore Like.

And I will play just like forever.
Not that I'm planning to stop soon, anyway.
Edited by Niymiae#2282 on 17/10/2012 09:30 BST
Reply Quote
17/10/2012 09:21Posted by Khaimenos
It would be botmap galore: make a map with 5 easy champpacks, followed by a large hall filled with treasure gobs or something.

Sadly this is my experience when it comes to players creating their own maps for RPGs, always abuse to level up/get items etc as fast and easy as possible.
I can't see this feature coming to the LIVE servers unless all the maps have to go through Blizzard and get the approval stamp of being well balanced and enjoyable maps. The other option is to have something like "PTR" servers but for player made maps only that are in no way connected to the live servers.
Edited by Alsaron#2639 on 17/10/2012 09:34 BST
Reply Quote
Community
17/10/2012 09:25Posted by SoulReaper
I think basicly with the restrictions you would need to put in place it probably wouldn't be worth it to the hardcore modders out there.

That is definitely another point to take into consideration as well :-)
Reply Quote
I've not used the SC2 editor but have used many others in the past including the original SC. While some require the user to build it from the ground up (ie like using Unreal Ed/or Quake Ed) the more user friendly ones are the ones I like to call drag and drop editors akin to the SC/Red alert/ Never Winter Nights editors. I'd personally like the drag and drop type of editor.

So If you were to release one, the features I'd like would be
  • Select a Tile size (64x64 -256x256 for example)
  • Select a base texture (Snow/Desert/Woodland/Dungeon etc.)
  • The rooms or environment tiles to be selected from a tab/toolbar
  • The ability to place any type of monsters from the game
  • The ability to adjust properties on these mobs (so we can turn them into elites or specific mini bosses)
  • Event creation (The thought of being able to have a mini boss battle with lots of mobs spawning & rushing the players while they try to frantically defeat them all)
  • Being able to link maps to others so we can have almost our own Act
  • Making our own Quests (they would be simple but it would be fun for others to play them and keep this game fresh with user created content)
  • This is my wish list and if some of you reading this may notice that alot of this is akin to the Never Winter nights editor which in my opinion was the best editor shipped with a game ever. Simple and powerful, as you could make single maps or entire games out of it.
    Edited by Megabiv#2622 on 17/10/2012 09:44 BST
    Reply Quote
    This might cause a terrible workload for your people but I had an idea about dungeons or instances if you prefer, that are made by the community.
    People create dungeons and send them to blizz for evaluation, if they are accepted they are added to dungeon pool. It might have only 3 or 5 dungeons at first to see how things go but eventually it could strecth upto hundreds, who knows.
    Now, to enter these dungeons you'd have to use a portal or some such that sends you to a randomly selected map from the dungeon pool.... Some variety to the endless grinding.
    How does this sound?
    Reply Quote
    This might cause a terrible workload for your people but I had an idea about dungeons or instances if you prefer, that are made by the community.
    People create dungeons and send them to blizz for evaluation, if they are accepted they are added to dungeon pool. It might have only 3 or 5 dungeons at first to see how things go but eventually it could strecth upto hundreds, who knows.
    Now, to enter these dungeons you'd have to use a portal or some such that sends you to a randomly selected map from the dungeon pool.... Some variety to the endless grinding.
    How does this sound?

Something like this would be great, provided Blizzard had the resources for checking map balances. IT perhaps would be better to let users rate maps/dungeons on this site and those with the highest ratings get a Blizz check over and can then be added or included somewhere in the game. But perhaps an "offline" or debug mode would need to be implemented in order for us to actually test these maps. Similar to the way the PTR was set up.
    Reply Quote
    Problem is that a solution like that would require immense work to filter all the entries.
    Just look at Steam: they put Greenlight on to solve (or reduce) the submission filtering they had to do.

Maybe - with an Arcade mode - this can be "partially" solved.
    The Arcade Mode would be separated. No AH and all, as said before.
    Anyone can play anything with ad-hoc characters.

Anyone, most importantly, can upvote / downvote anything he plays.
    Then, Blizzard can / would choose among the best / most played / most balanced entries once in some time and integrate them as part of a random map dungeon feature as said.

Maybe as part of contest, with some rules to smooth up the whole thing.
    Edited by Niymiae#2282 on 17/10/2012 10:11 BST
    Reply Quote
    I suggest map creator for PvP arenas instead of PvE or some PvE map editor with restrictions
    Reply Quote
    View profile
    there would be no issues with abusing elites ./ goblins etc as blizz could allow people to create the maps and then when it gets uploaded to server, monsters / elites etc etc are randomly generated.
    Reply Quote
    17/10/2012 10:09Posted by Kreator
    I suggest map creator for PvP arenas instead of PvE or some PvE map editor with restrictions

Why not both, I personally couldn't care less about PvP as for me this game is about the monster melting and for others it's about the PvP (when it arrives). Sure it would be fun to make maps for PvP but seeing as I my self wouldn;t be playing much of it the enjoyment is somewhat lost in creating things for a game mode I'd hardly play.
    Reply Quote
    17/10/2012 10:19Posted by Megabiv

Why not both, I personally couldn't care less about PvP as for me this game is about the monster melting and for others it's about the PvP (when it arrives). Sure it would be fun to make maps for PvP but seeing as I my self wouldn;t be playing much of it the enjoyment is somewhat lost in creating things for a game mode I'd hardly play.

no problem in having both but you have to consider how PvE map could possibly be exploited, there would have to be serious amount of restrictions so it can work, imagine making a straight line of 2 ingame kilometers full of trash mobs or full of elites
    Reply Quote
    Oh I fully understand, which is why we're suggesting some form of user rating system that when it gets enough ratings could be then inspected by Blizz. So if a user simply places 200 goblins in a room I highly doubt it would get rated high enough to be released or if it goes to that level Blizz could simply refuse it's release into the main game.
    Reply Quote
    17/10/2012 09:10Posted by Vaneras
    Here is a question for everyone; if we were to create a map editor for Diablo III akin to the one we have for StarCraft II, which features would you like to see the most? i.e. which features would be the most important?

I would definetely write a whole game / story from an original lore.

The features I'd look forward to would be:

- Editable Voice, Music, Sounds.

- Maps (obviously), Events, Encounter rate.

- Some "in-map" items, for quests.

- Most Important: Free Roam Camera.
    Edited by terenceloar#2846 on 17/10/2012 10:56 BST
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]