Diablo® III

Perma-WotB HotA build (MP10 ubers video)

Added: MP10 Uber boss kills.

MP10 Ghom + Rakanoth: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms59BKNi53I
MP10 Skeleton King + Maghda: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_wHSPzw5Kw
MP10 Siegebreaker + Kulle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7bIytkaeyU

Video of Azmodan MP10 kill: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlvWDPc28tc

Build: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#WckRZP!ZYV!cZcYZc

I think this is the highest single target dps build for barbs. It's has very nice synergies, much like the ww build has. But instead of tornadoes, it uses Hammer of the Ancient both as a way to generate and spend fury, enabling us to keep WotB up.

In 1.05 Blizzard changed how HotA works. Now you get 1% extra crit for every 5 fury you have. This means for a perma-wrath build, you'll get around 20% extra crit chance for HotA. Add another 10% from Wrath. This equates to an ability with very high damage that crits all the time. If you are using this build for Uberbosses or farming, it's possible to line up mobs so you are hitting two at once (Rakanoth/Ghom is the only uberfight where you can consistently use it, due to Maghda/Kulle running off all the time).

Battle Rage - Into the Fray is what gives us a lot of fury back, fueling the constant HotA spam.

As for primary attack I prefer to use Frenzy Maniac. This gives you increased attack speed and bonus damage. Together with WotB, it's equates to quite the dps boost. I go from 175k damage before the fight (with Battle Rage) to 281k damage through the whole fight. Another advantage with using Frenzy is that you don't have to think about it at all. There is enough of frenzy hits slipping through between HotA attacks to constantly have it at 5 stacks. Also, you'll get plenty of frenzy crits giving you fury through Battle Rage.

Rend doesn't really offer any synergy with the other skills, but keeping it up is another source of damage and I find that the extra healing every tick helps smooth out damage spikes. If you are using this as a high MP farming build, it helps with survivability.

Another big advantage of this build is that it gives quite a bit of healing. I can't do Azmodan MP10 with the ww build, not even if I use the Bloodthirst passive. The overlapping pools do extreme damage. But I can stay alive with this build and you'll see healing ticks between 10k-20k all the time. You'll be very hard to kill once you have WotB up. I can facetank MP10 elites, standing in desecrate and having arcane beams pass through me.

There are some weaknesses. As a pure farming build, the lack of sprint limits it. At some MP levels you probably could drop War Cry and be fine but at MP8-10 you probably would want War Cry, but there the travel time vs fighting time is relatively low so lacking sprint doesn't matter as much. You might have some problems keeping WotB up while farming unless you make an effort to keep it up but as long as it's up for elites, they die extremely fast, even on MP10.

If you are tired of the ww build or find that it doesn't work that well for Uberbosses, this is a fun build. Seeing big crits doesn't get old and some of us enjoy facetanking more than spinning.

Disclaimer: I only use this build for MP8+ and Uberbosses where the perma-WotB and high dps get a chance to shine. When grinding xp I play MP1 and use http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#WckRUX!ZYh!aacYbY where I just sprint, rend, sprint, rend and stuff die at once. It's much faster.

If you are tired of the ww build or find that it doesn't work that well for Uberbosses, this is a fun build. Seeing big crits doesn't get old and some of us enjoy facetanking more than spinning.

Disclaimer: I only use this build for MP8+ and Uberbosses where the perma-WotB and high dps get a chance to shine. When grinding xp I play MP1 and use http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#WckRUX!ZYh!aacYbY where I just sprint, rend, sprint, rend and stuff die at once. It's much faster.

Added: 2H weapons and attack speed

Since there have been some questions if this build is viable with a 2H weapon I did a simple test. I bought a 0.9 attack/second mace and a 1.11 attack/second axe and compared WotB uptime. I have a crit rate of 61.5%.

With the slow mace I had 1.00 attacks/second and my WotB uptime was 39 seconds.
With the faster axe I had 1.23 attacks/second and my WotB uptime was 60 seconds.

Video of test: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDTGbXvXS4I

This was just a comparison between attack speeds. If you use battle rage to dump fury whenever you have full fury and drop rend from your rotation, you can increase WotB uptime a bit.

If you are looking to get perma-WotB going with a two handed weapon, you are probably going to want to use an axe and you are going to need gear pieces with attack speed (I only have 8% on gear from my Lacuni Prowlers). It also requires a bit more fury management from the player, to make room for fury. While dual wielding, just spamming hammers gets rid of enough fury for this not to be a problem.
Edited by Freudian#2775 on 26/10/2012 07:51 BST
Reply Quote
Since iam bored and waiting for a auction to end, i thought it could be fun to compare the single target dps output of this build vs a mighty throw build :)

So i bought some pretty decent gear for a HotA build, and recorded the kill time for Azmodan @ mpl 10.

For the Hota build:

First cutscene ends @ 00.18 --> Azmodan is dead @ 01.31 --> kill time was 73 sec.
HotA video @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1KplJum1EY

And for the throw build: (please note that i had to change my normal 300 spear to one with lifesteal)

First cutscene ends @ 00.16 --> Azmodan is dead @ 02.12 --> kill time was 116 sec
Throw video @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pMboC1sFo0

I must say iam pretty impressed over the HotA build now, almost 50% higher single target dps then with mighty throw.

Guess i have to consider the option of using this build on the higher mpl levels. :)

If i win the item iam waiting for on the auction house i think i can manage to kill Azmodan with my normal 300 spear, with socket (+100crit damage).

Have to assess the builds again then.

*edit*

This is also a best case scenario for the HotA build with a non-moving target.
Edited by Det0x#2856 on 20/10/2012 03:55 BST
Reply Quote
You have some insane gear though, man. How would this work on lower MP levels, with worse gear? What kind of gear works well with it?
Reply Quote

This is also a best case scenario for the HotA build with a non-moving target.

It works fine in pretty much every situation I can think of. It doesn't require a non moving mob. You can kill fleeing mobs, multiple mobs, big groups, treasure goblins at MP9 (possibly MP10, but then you have to corner them and have WotB up) and so on with the build. It works well enough even if you don't have WotB up (the hammers do the exact same damage without it) but of course it really shines with it up.

The only fight where WotB won't last is Siegebreaker + Kulle. Siegebreaker grabbing and holding you doesn't help with WotB uptime. I do know you can reset his grab before it happens by running out of range and then back in, but haven't done proper tests of his patterns to tell if you can keep it up all fight long.

20/10/2012 11:33Posted by mallow
You have some insane gear though, man. How would this work on lower MP levels, with worse gear? What kind of gear works well with it?

I think the gear requirements should be lower than with most builds. You probably would want 40%+ crit chance and you should be good to go. The more armor/res and healing you have on gear the smoother things go if you take on very tough encounters.
Edited by Freudian#2775 on 20/10/2012 15:17 BST
Reply Quote
I'm assuming HotA damage is calculated off of both weapons when dual wielding?

And what about -5 HotA gear - needed?
Edited by dcdead#2517 on 20/10/2012 14:56 BST
Reply Quote
Very nice, thanks for sharing.
Reply Quote
haha someone at least got through detox :p
Reply Quote
I'm assuming HotA damage is calculated off of both weapons when dual wielding?

And what about -5 HotA gear - needed?

You do hammers with both off and main hand, I would think. Having slower weapons with high weapon damage is probably optimal, as long as you attack fast enough to keep WotB up.

I think -fury to HotA on gear might actually hurt this build since you dump less fury. You have to get rid of 25 fury/sec to fit in the fury needed to fuel permanent WotB.

It's possible to solve it by spamming Battle Rage at the same time to dump fury, but it's very annoying having to spam two button at the same time.
Edited by Freudian#2775 on 20/10/2012 15:19 BST
Reply Quote
This build seems fun to play... but what would be the minimum specs to fuel this build?
I logged back in after a few months so a lot has changed since then.
Reply Quote
20/10/2012 15:04Posted by Arakorni
haha someone at least got through detox :p

Yea and all it took was the gameplay video ive been asking for, imagine that!

Now over to a more serius note. :P
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I won the auction i was waiting on, a pair of IK gloves --> brining my melee damage redu up to 12.45% from 4% when i use the mempo helmet. (so i could use my normal 300 spear now)

So now ive done a more "fair" damage comparison, and the results are in:

For the Hota build:

First cutscene ends @ 00.20 --> Azmodan is dead @ 01.31 --> kill time was 71 sec.
HotA video @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNWI4ldDvWQ (if you think iam playing it wrong please let me know)

And for the throw build: (this time with a crit 300 spear)

First cutscene ends @ 00.19 --> Azmodan is dead @ 01.49 --> kill time was 90 sec.
Throw video @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL3UNsh4uKI

So the HotA build have ~ +26% more damage output on average (if my match is right: 90/0.71= ~126)

So its pretty clear the HotA build wins handsdown in the singel dps department (vs a non moving target atleast)

But i think its no question that Ricohet build wins in a multi target scenario. And how often do you only face a singel enemy in diablo ?

But i think this build have its use vs the überbosses where singel target dps is king.

One other thing to note is that the HotA build "have no free skill slots", rend is pretty mandatory if i understand OP right.

With the Throw build you have "2 free skill slots" to choose from. I like sprint and ancient spear (can use bloodsheed then).

Nice build all in all, but i think i gonna keep using the throw build.

Please note this is only my thoughts on this build, feel free to agree or disagree with me :)
Reply Quote
It's possible that a weapon throw build is faster for farming, but you are ignoring a few things. First, HotA can hit more than one target. If you line up elites properly you'll have rend going at all times and hit two of them constantly. That's pretty effective farming. Secondly, you'll have very high WotB uptime (assuming you play at high MP levels). This means CC immunity and extra defense from +20% dodge meaning you don't even have to move out of desecrate/plague/frozen/arcane. Having 100% dps time is quite the advantage.

There is no build that is best at everything. I'd say most barb builds are well rounded enough for them to be viable in most situations. I'm using a lot of different builds just to see what works and have no emotional investment in any specific build. Now I tried this build but replaced War Cry with Sprint Marathon and Tough as Nails with Unforgiving and farmed keys at MP7. It was very fast farming.

The only build I won't use these days is the ww build, but that's because I grew tired of it farming paragon pre-1.05. I'm done with that build.

This build seems fun to play... but what would be the minimum specs to fuel this build?
I logged back in after a few months so a lot has changed since then.

It's hard to tell where the breakpoint is. If you are dual wielding I would guess 40-45% crit chance would be enough and a little bit of attack speed helps. It's ok to have WotB slowly drop off as long as it lasts two minutes. Then you can just refresh it. You don't have to have it up at full at all times.

If you use shield or 2H, I think you're going to need much more attack speed and somewhere around 50% crit chance. Also, the better you are at managing your fury (dumping with Battle Rage, gaining with War Cry), the easier it gets.
Reply Quote
i am using the exact same build since we were talking about it in the other topic.
it rocks, for uber bosses... best single target build imo right now.
dont like it that much for kley farming or exp-farming, i switch there.
anyway thanks again for the input freudian ;)
edit: dont know why my profile wouldnt update
Edited by DonGeibla#2841 on 20/10/2012 17:56 BST
Reply Quote
problem with this build is that it has no get outta there skill, like charge or leap.
Reply Quote
Once again, thanks man. I´m having a blast with this build, farming mp8 fast, with ww I almost fell a sleep. One more skill slot and leap would be godly :) I find myself on situations where I can´t move and get eventually killed, cause I don´t have enough AR/LS to shower in lazers and chet.
Reply Quote
So its pretty clear the HotA build wins handsdown in the singel dps department (vs a non moving target atleast)

But i think its no question that Ricohet build wins in a multi target scenario. And how often do you only face a singel enemy in diablo ?

HotA build should win even without frenzy buffs and the endless berserker too, though. I don't know if you did the comparing with having 5 stacks of frenzy on all the time and berserker active too but if you did, the difference should be even higher because hota smash is just more % damage than WT is and it has a higher crit chance. On top of that there's the rend you ofc use even on single boss which you will not use with throwing build.

So.. as you can give up the frenzy skill which is totally useless unless only nuking something like azmodan that stays still, you can get furious charge instead. Furious charge generates crazy amounts of fury if needed, it heals you crazy amounts because it deals crazy amounts of damage aoe. It hits as many mobs as there is where you charge to and you can immediately charge again. WT ricochet just can't hit more than 3. And all the time you are charging back and forth in the mobs, you have a rend ticking there somewhere which you applied at some point(probably after first charge or so). And as FC is also a mobility skill and I may add that a very good one, since the cool down very often is under 10 seconds, it's again something that WT spec can never use to it's fullest even if it wanted to.

Now I know this eternal wrath build wouldn't work without frenzy but as I said - imo this build should not need that extra 10% crit and 25% asi to be better than WT. You(detox) don't even use wrath of the berserker with thrive on chaos at least in your mp10 uber fighting video, you have it with insanity. So again.. it's same to ditch that only good for single bosses frenzy and get FC to replace it if planning to go just farming... And if you do that well.. HotA build is again superior.
Edited by Arakorni#2528 on 20/10/2012 22:02 BST
Reply Quote
HotA build should win even without frenzy buffs and the endless berserker too, though. I don't know if you did the comparing with having 5 stacks of frenzy on all the time and berserker active too but if you did, the difference should be even higher because hota smash is just more % damage than WT is and it has a higher crit chance. On top of that there's the rend you ofc use even on single boss which you will not use with throwing build.

Did u read my post ? I did post the vids showing 5 frenzy stacks all the time + berserker up all the time + rend all the time.

HotA have a 26% higher singel target damage output over mighty throw. (on my barb atleast)

For the Hota build:

First cutscene ends @ 00.20 --> Azmodan is dead @ 01.31 --> kill time was 71 sec.
HotA video @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNWI4ldDvWQ (if you think iam playing it wrong please let me know)

And for the throw build: (this time with a crit 300 spear)

First cutscene ends @ 00.19 --> Azmodan is dead @ 01.49 --> kill time was 90 sec.
Throw video @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL3UNsh4uKI

So the HotA build have ~ +26% more damage output on average (if my match is right: 90/0.71= ~126)

Ive used this build to farm 3 rings @ mpl 9 now, and i can tell you right now, kulle can be a bastard vs this build...
Edited by Det0x#2856 on 20/10/2012 22:49 BST
Reply Quote
19/10/2012 23:46Posted by Freudian
When grinding xp I play MP1 and use http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#WckRUX!ZYh!aacYbY where I just sprint, rend, sprint, rend and stuff die at once. It's much faster.

Thanks for this tip btw. I had never even tried doing mp1 instead of mp5 or higher with hota build. So I adjusted your build a bit replaced overpower with furious charge as FC generates fury so well and is spammable and gives mobility through packs and frenzy I replaced with bash punish rune to give me 5 seconds of increased damage of 24% with only 3 stacks and the attack speed increase from frenzy helps nothing with the skills like these except more damage but the stacks run out too fast.

Also changed passive to brawler instead of unforgiving because my fury is never below 60% at least.

But yeah.. it's so freaking fast to use sprint, FC into the mobs, rend -> which kills the ones that FC did not kill if it didn't crit. FC again, rend again, fc again, rend again, renew sprint and so on. Sometimes ofc bash some single mobs to get them down and to apply 8 or 16 or 24% more damage. And I didn't even notice any difference to mp5 drops :P
Reply Quote
20/10/2012 22:36Posted by Det0x

Did u read my post ? I did post the vids showing 5 frenzy stacks all the time + berserker up all the time + rend all the time.

HotA have a 26% higher singel target damage output over mighty throw. (on my barb atleast)

Well.. I don't know how you managed to get like almost the same crits with WT as you did with hota and I wasn't taking into account that you were able to use reflect damage from overpower which does not work on all mobs as there's not necessarily any pools on the ground to reflect damage like that.

Next you could try it with 1100-1650+ damage range skorn with 190+% crit hit damage and 100% crit hit dam gem in it and with insanity rune as 15 seconds of 100% damage is a lot in that kind of fight which does not last too long anyway. If you do it like that, rend ticks more, hotas are crazy and I believe the time will improve. You can get your damage to something really crazy with insanity, frenzy, hota, rend and a good skorn... I don't even use frenzy when I'm farming and I'm still somewhere around 400k dps which means with frenzy and your dps you should be around 700-800k.
Reply Quote
This is me thinking loud. I follow the D3 scene but haven't really been very active and my barb isn't very well geared.

BUT I've always wanted something "smash smash" to work on a barb. All kind of ideas flow from time to time. I saw your HotA build up there, and brilliant. I was thinking for farming on on monster levels above 1, where monsters have a wee bit more health, but dont hit quite as hard as MP10. How do you think a Seismic Slam+Sprint (dodge rune, what ever its called) would work out in place of HotA and War Cry? SS hits quite a bit more monsters, and with the multi-target hit it should generate more fury than HotA on multi-target fights. And with Sprint you have faster run speed for faster runs, aaand the dodge rune gives you a tiny bit of survival on top of the moveability.

An edit: IF (I don't know) the Frenzy movement speed rune stacks with Sprint and WOTB that could be an option for über power-walk, or Sidearm rune for additional cleaving/fury generation.
Edited by Winspin#2354 on 20/10/2012 23:54 BST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]