Diablo® III

1.05 Archon build

As we all know Archon is not really a valid build for high MP. But those with good gear can still pull off crazy fast farming at Monster Power 4, or maybe even 5 (haven't tested on 5)

Requirements up to MP 4:
20%+ movement speed
2.3 attacks per second minimum, 2.5+ recommended
30-50% CC, as much as you can get
250%+ Crit damage
2.5% life steal
500 all res unbuffed
2500 armor unbuffed
10 APoC for regaining archon

DPS requirement: *SA = Storm Armor @ Shocking Aspect
MP 0: 90k buffed
MP 1: 90K buffed w/ SA, 100k w/o SA
MP 2: 110K buffed w/ SA, 140K w/o SA
MP 3: 120K buffed w/ SA, 150K w/o SA
MP 4: 150K buffed w/ SA, 200K w/o SA

The build:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#VmXSjT!Yfg!acaZac
- You can switch out forceweapon with bloodmagic for more recovery
- You can switch out improved archon for a defensive spell, allthough you won't need to with high enough DPS
- You can switch out energy twister with healing blades if stuggling outside of Archon

This feels way better than the old archon, since Storm Armor does MASSIVE damage now!
Reply Quote
Agreed.

I am having good fun with the archon build in 1.0.5 doing quick 30-45 min runs. This is good for a balanced combination of gold find, item find, XP and to get a reasonable chance of grabbing a key in each run. Started off in MP2 and am now farming in MP4 with relative ease.

The difference in being able to farm higher MP levels I think has more to do with survivability then DPS. Mistral breeze works well in getting back Archon! I have also found that using frost nova can be a fun alternative to diamond skin. It is as effective (especially in less open maps) and it feels more fun.

Will give storm armour a try after reading this post though.
Reply Quote
I can farm MP5 without a problem... MP6 was kinda tough tho (but I made stacks and killed keywardens there too) so I decided to farm MP4/5.
Reply Quote
I think you're overstating the requirements for this build a bit. I'm not going to argue about the damage needed for each MP level since I haven't gone though and like tested each one out to see what's optimal.
but here's a couple things I'll state.
I run Archon with 12% mov speed and it's not an issue, especially if you're running just the areas with high creep density. Of course more is better
There's no way you need that many APS, I've got like 1.7 and it's not an issue at all. Personally increasing IAS on archon build is about the last thing I'd do. For CC yeah more is better no doubt. I'd agree that you probably don't want any less than 30%, maybe 35%. I don't see there being any required threshold for CHD, just look at your damage and you'll know if you need more or not. I'd say that 250-300 would be an optimal amount though. I'm not sure if life steal should be a requirement. Depending on your defensive stats and the MP level you could run it without any. Blood Magic rune is more than enough for me up to MP4. MP5 isn't efficient with Archon for me atm anyways. The AR and Armor numbers seem fine. You may even be able to have those a little lower for sub MP3. APoC isn't necessary, you can tailor your abilities/runes to not need any APoC, this of course will cost you a little damage.
Reply Quote
I think you're overstating the requirements for this build a bit. I'm not going to argue about the damage needed for each MP level since I haven't gone though and like tested each one out to see what's optimal.
I run Archon with 12% mov speed and it's not an issue, especially if you're running just the areas with high creep density. Of course more is better
There's no way you need that many APS, I've got like 1.7 and it's not an issue at all. Personally increasing IAS on archon build is about the last thing I'd do. For CC yeah more is better no doubt. I'd agree that you probably don't want any less than 30%, maybe 35%. I don't see there being any required threshold for CHD, just look at your damage and you'll know if you need more or not. I'd say that 250-300 would be an optimal amount though. I'm not sure if life steal should be a requirement. Depending on your defensive stats and the MP level you could run it without any. Blood Magic rune is more than enough for me up to MP4. MP5 isn't efficient with Archon for me atm anyways. The AR and Armor numbers seem fine. You may even be able to have those a little lower for sub MP3. APoC isn't necessary, you can tailor your abilities/runes to not need any APoC, this of course will cost you a little damage.

Yeah exactly my point when I stated that I farm MP5... I have what... like 1.1 IAS? :)). And its enough... I have what... like 0apoc? Yeah, cos I dont need ANY... I have what... 21k HP? Yes... dont need more either. I have 100k dmg, not 200k as he suggests for MP5? yeah, its enough. ETC...

WHY? Cos I run totally different build. Instead of apoc I have -ap cost for disintegrate, no need for IAS on disintegrate too, the less the better (costs less ap) etc... Chaos nexus does proc a lot of crits and with evocation I have archon on 90% of time... not much less then breeze builds. BUT major difference is, that mistral build NEEDS archon asap. I dont. I can handle anything when out of archon. Perma disintegrate (I recover ap as fast as I use it with the spell, so 0cost) makes very good job and less ressists (archon gives +40%) is handled by diamond skin without barely any cooldown. 100k dps is just enough to keep archon on in high density areas. Anywhere else, I use it just for elites (its on really soon anyway) and handle mobs more then well with disintegrate...

5+ life steal is a must on my build also. Keeps me alive in archon build like nothing else. You also need high ressists to support your low hp pool.

I got my hellfire by farming MP5/6 for keys and did boss runs on MP5 without a problem (swapped armor from pinpoint to force so I wont get oneshoted). Easy.
Just find your ways and you can have totally diferent requirements.
Edited by BlackCountry#2248 on 23/10/2012 15:01 BST
Reply Quote
@Black yeah we're basically running the same setup. You'rs is a bit more cookie cutter (nothing wrong with that). I've just got a bit more odd stuff to allow me to use disintegrate without the AP cost reduction items and to deal with no lifesteal on weapon.
You find MP5 is efficient? I can do it but it doesn't seem all that great, seems to slow down a lot. You use you're Archon build for doing the ubbers? O_o
Reply Quote

I forgot to mention that with these requirements you can tank most packs and keep up archon indefinitely. I made this as a XP farming build, but with mistral breeze it turned out to be efficient enough to do a full act 3 clear! :)
Reply Quote
@Black yeah we're basically running the same setup. You'rs is a bit more cookie cutter (nothing wrong with that). I've just got a bit more odd stuff to allow me to use disintegrate without the AP cost reduction items and to deal with no lifesteal on weapon.
You find MP5 is efficient? I can do it but it doesn't seem all that great, seems to slow down a lot. You use you're Archon build for doing the ubbers? O_o

This. I think that with archon you should burn packs as fast as you can. Even if you have 200k dps, MP4 should be max. In my opinion clear speed>slightly better loot.
Reply Quote
Agreed. It's all about speed for this build. I wonder if people are still using scramble or if it's become redundant now. Anyways Archon hasn't really changed much from 1.0.4 to 1.0.5.
Reply Quote
I did almost same build (just storm armor is different) with an armor resist gear (like a tank wizard). Just i got energy armor. I like my build and its very fast cool farming. I got 40k dps and farming mp2 xD. Maybe i can farm mp3 still working on farming and skills.
Reply Quote
My archon build let me farm Act I on MP7 with abit difficulty but still with not so much deaths. Usually I do farm Act I on mp6 and Act III on MP5 and i have no issues. I will upgrade my Skorn soon and make it all easier.
Reply Quote
Why does every archon out there seem to use the imporved archon rune? It's clearly good, and the damage buff is massive but I think from 1.05 there are a few more options one can consider. The arcane destruction rune is good, but if anything I might incorporate it into a CM build as a nuke, as it doesn'y help once you're in archon. Given the buff to slow time, the slow time rune is also pretty good. Of course it makes for slower farming but at the same time your survivability goes up exponentially and it's useful in team games for something other than sheer dps. My personal favourite, however, is the teleport rune. This is alrgely because the illusionist passive now works in archon form. Now it's no longer a matter of dealing damage quickly enough or dying (like vs phasebeasts for example). Any hit you may have had to worry about will reset your teleport, so you blink out and hit them til they get to you again. It is also good for farm speed as you can teleport in between mobs quite quickly and teleport in ways that mean that enemies our lined up for your line damage (especially in party games). The extra survivability also just helps with farm speed indirectly, as deaths can slow things down a lot, especially in single player. More than anything though, it's just fun. I love the archon meltdown, and I find it satisfying to walk into a room and just vaporise everything inside, but using either the slow time rune or the teleport rune with illusionist just makes archon more than a right-click build. I also use storm armour with scramble for extra ms and mobility. I find with 140k dps I can farm mp4 or mp5 with this spec comfortably, but mp4 is my sweet spot; the drops and exp are good and the cleavage is still very fast. It also means that cc res, for example, just isnt very necessary, frozen can be easily avoied and with life steal jailor just isnt a problem for the most part. I would like to know, however, does shocking aspect really add as much dps as you seem to think? You imply that it boosts total dps output by 25%. This seems huge. To my knowledge the proc coefficient of the disintegration wave is 25%, so 25% or crits will shock for 35% weapon damage. Even with 50% crit chance this is definitely not an extra 25% dps increase. I have not tested it thoroughly, however, so I would love to know if it is in fact better than I give it credit for.
Reply Quote
If you follow a specific farming route, you won't need teleport.

I'm running with Improved Archon rune, and with 24% movement speed, I usually have no problem with keeping archon up at mp4.

My route is Keep Depths 2 > Fields of Slaughter (circle from wp to wp) > Rakkis Crossing (down towards fields of slaughter) > Arreat Crater 2 > Tower of the cursed 1. Done.

I timed the run once, took around 14 minutes and gained 12 mil exp.
Reply Quote
in my opinion there's little reason using storm armor with shocking aspect as archon.

you simply don't perform that many hits. a lot of mobs are getting one/two shot anyway and on higher mp levels it's usually more important to have a better defense or not having an armor spell at all and doing hybrid archon.

the scramble rune on the other hand does make sense in theory. although when i'm archoning i'm doing it on mp1 and the monsters die as soon as they see me - so i dont even get hit -> no proc for scramble..
Reply Quote
07/11/2012 13:27Posted by robbsen
in my opinion there's little reason using storm armor with shocking aspect as archon.

I view it as being rather redundant
Reply Quote
What would you recommend in items selection? if you could post a weapon and torso and so on, so that i got something to go after in AH :)

But if you dont got the items for an archon build, what are your suggestion (mp4-10'ish)?

Hope you can help, the most important is the items...
Reply Quote
I've got 22% crit chance.
1.87 APS
157% crit hit damage
400 resists unbuffed
24k hp
69k damage

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/DiMauro99-1991/hero/23313885

Would these stats be usable for archon build? For even mp 1 or 2. Or even able to use for CM build. And I only have a 300k budget if I need to get more gear for stats.
Been farming MP 1 but I have some troubles getting one shot or just getting hit very hard from elite packs. Especially fire chains and mortars. Any help would be great thanks.
Reply Quote
@DiMauro99 : it's nice to see someone who hasn't millions of dps :) it seems like everyone here has spent hundreds of hours playing, and there are no casual players, who actually knows better how to play for a low budget.

anyway, my answer is try it :) the only requirement for an archon build is a life steal weapon. let's say i'm using my witch doctor's gear and i'm fine with it.

the highest MP you should run is that one, when you can keep archon up most of the time. i could handle mp3 or 4, but i'm running mp2 alone and mp1 with a friend, because those are the difficulties for me when i'm in archon form most of the time.

focus on the following maps: skycrown battlements, keep depths 2, areat crater 2. if your archon is still expiring, start a new game and lower the mp level. but with your gear, i would run mp0, and if it's still not enough, you can stil farm some stuff at act I.

PS.: if fire elites hurt you, drop andariel's visage. it is actually helping them to kill you.
Reply Quote
Action, I was just wondering if you can post up your armor or something like the required items for this build. Thank you
Reply Quote
Build explained - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55dsTuxP8Nc
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]