Diablo® III

To the Pro Barbs only:

Hi, I am currently looking to gear up a Monk or a Barb; the reasons being:

1) A change from my ranged class
2) Survivability

Could I ask an experienced player to briefly comment about the Monk vs Barb advantages/disadvantages.

I would also like to know whether 100 million will get me a barb that can clear MP2-4 as quickly as a 200K DPS DH.

I figure if I start speed farming I will need a WW barb because this seems to be the quickest and most efficient way of doing it. Am I right?

Thank you all in advance!

Whatever gear-advice you may share is much appreciated as well! BIS items?
Reply Quote
WW barb is really fast for speed farming. My build costed me like 150m and i can farm mp10 easily without dying. Ofc it takes some time.
Reply Quote
cool! Thanks!

What are the BIS weapons? I have Armor but no Weapons yet.
Reply Quote
Just want to point out that Tripple/Quadruple Tornado MONK is alot faster for speedclears than barb is. I have not seen any1 else than me use this build, nor have i seen it mentioned so i'm taking semi-credit for it. All your damage comes more or less from 'permanent' aoe's and you are PERMANENTLY 'sprinting'. getting the last setbonus from inna's will help out alot with damage since you can then easily refresh sweeping wind should it drop. I think my low-geared monk uses that build atm for speedfarming a specific item. If you have the gear for it, i also recommend using cyclone kick as a 'dumper' since it can be spammed without stopping for casting animation when sprinting.

Pros: Crazy fast, good aoe damage, Can move through mobs.
Cons: Need several items with high spirit regen (to be able to permanently sprint). Need quite high gearlevels to efficiently farm higher mp levels due to all damage being 'passive' aoe

Oh: The tornado's are:
1 - The spinning weapon of the monk himself
2 - The Sweeping Wind Tornado
3 - The tornado's spawned by sweeping wind
4 - The cyclonic whirl from dumping spirit with cyclone kick.

FOUR TORNADOES! (obviously use runspeed rune on sprint, passive runspeed to get the quickest possible runspeed, if you got the gear, also use the mantra with runspeed)
Edited by Macorog#2970 on 10/11/2012 12:51 GMT
Reply Quote
Anyone thinked of replacing ww with rend? You got the speed from sprint and you gor 4x more damage!
Reply Quote
Just want to point out that Tripple/Quadruple Tornado MONK is alot faster for speedclears than barb is. I have not seen any1 else than me use this build, nor have i seen it mentioned so i'm taking semi-credit for it. All your damage comes more or less from 'permanent' aoe's and you are PERMANENTLY 'sprinting'. getting the last setbonus from inna's will help out alot with damage since you can then easily refresh sweeping wind should it drop. I think my low-geared monk uses that build atm for speedfarming a specific item. If you have the gear for it, i also recommend using cyclone kick as a 'dumper' since it can be spammed without stopping for casting animation when sprinting.

Cons: Need several items with high spirit regen (to be able to permanently sprint). Need quite high gearlevels to efficiently farm higher mp levels due to all damage being 'passive' aoe

FOUR TORNADOES! (obviously use runspeed rune on sprint, passive runspeed to get the quickest possible runspeed, if you got the gear, also use the mantra with runspeed)

Can you record a video of this build in action @ mp 10 ?
Reply Quote

I is interested. Make video please.
Reply Quote
you can check my profile , i think its around 150m? and i can clear mp7 without a problem (mp10 takes long but i can survive)
Reply Quote
i'm rend - cleave + ground stomp player, check out my build, I made a balanced build with good resistance and armor and average but good dmg, i play on MP5 and and run act3 relatively quickly, I think rend build is the easiest to play and relatively inexpensive, i also use revenge, it does a lot of damage and heals very quickly, this is a very nice and rarely used skill, idea is to use revenge and to be able to put rend lacerate (not blood lust) for maximum 900% dmg
Edited by Shockwave#2215 on 10/11/2012 13:36 GMT
Reply Quote
@Shockwave excelent build. Myself havin' a similar build, when I equip stormshield and helm of command I use leap, ground stomp, war cry, wotb, cleave and rend. Most fun to have cc control over monsters and got almost no damage at all, just block, block, block!! :D

I'm personaly sick of that ww builds, they made game feel bored.
Edited by Kokica#2985 on 10/11/2012 13:42 GMT
Reply Quote

Can you record a video of this build in action @ mp 10 ?

i want to see video too of this build in action @ mp10 :D
Reply Quote
I played a monk for about two months, he was my main, and then I switched to barb. Spirit generation is ridiculously low on monk, and you need about 3 times more expensive gear to do the same as barb. GL with competing for bis items with DHs too.

And with the same def stats barb can survive 5 times better then monk. And you will have much more useful skills and passives later. Trust me on this one :)
Reply Quote
@Shockwave excelent build. Myself havin' a similar build, when I equip stormshield and helm of command I use leap, ground stomp, war cry, wotb, cleave and rend. Most fun to have cc control over monsters and got almost no damage at all, just block, block, block!! :D

I'm personaly sick of that ww builds, they made game feel bored.

try revenge on place of leap, with 100k dmg it does 500-600k crit on everything that surrounds you and heals immediately, and i use thunder gods vigor and fire walkers for melee dmg reduce, ground stomp(wrenching smash) + revenge is very very powerful combination
Edited by Shockwave#2215 on 10/11/2012 14:38 GMT
Reply Quote
Havign played a decently geared monk and later sold off the gear to focus on my barb, I do think a good high crit chance monk can do more sustained AoE effective damage in the middle of a load of monsters then a barb generally can. The obvious exception is that a ww barb can do more AoE damage due to being able to inflict it over a much larger area due to mobility.

OTOH, I think monks aint that great when it comes to single target damage with most monk builds FoT+SW build. It hard to rate monk dps as well and in way that makes sense for comparison - some of their skills do thing like increase damage taken by monsters rather than directly boosting dps to the numbers dont give a useful comparison. Similar wiuth damage mitigation, rather than direct dameg reduction, armor boost, resists boost etc you get reduce damage taken for x seconds after hitting a monter etc which again make it hard to directly compare numbers.

Either way - a very well geared monk is both a good tank and a very good AoE dps.
Passives and temptest rush can make them very mobile as well, however the spirit generation and management absolutely sucks - there is no real exploitable resource management synergy in monk builds at all like there is with barb, for eg fury generators and fury spenders combing to feed wotb etc - there is no equivalent of this and this can sometimes make them frustrating to play. Spirit cost of temptest rush is huge as well and if spirit runs out and SW times out then it can take a while to wind up again with the miserable spirit generation.

They do however have an allmost directly comparable build to the barb ww+wotb build using move speed and temptest (FoT+SW as main damage skills) to keep the sweeping wind cyclone stack up between mobs and that can actually make for quite a fast farming build as well as dealing alot of sustained AoE damage.

If I hadnt geared up my barb - monk would have been my alternate choice I think.
Edited by Khazul#2940 on 10/11/2012 14:50 GMT
Reply Quote
Sorry, the op wanted efficient farming for MP2-3. My monk has no way near good enough gear to farm MP10, so i cannot make a video of this. And I also cannot be certain that the speedrun monk is efficient at mp10. Mp10 really isn't speedefficient at any rate so i guess another build is more suited for that.
Reply Quote
@ Khazul. Yeah, as you mention in your post, the tempestrush build for monks is very fast. And it IS possible to have more spirit regen than the drain of tempestrush. And like i also mentioned, having the final setbonus from inna's is immensely smooth for reducing the cost of SW to more or less nil. With good enough spiritregen gear i'm fairly sure you will actually gain spirit which you can dump with cyclone strike, although my monk does not have enough for this atm, although he's missing a few pieces with spirit regen.
Reply Quote
Ok so far I have gathered:

Barbs are a better choice due to the use and maintenance of Rage vs Spirit, as well as survivability.
I also understood that it is cheaper to gear up a barb, as they require char specific items and do not compete with other classes for gear.

I think I will start leveling my barb up in this case. What kind of weapons am I looking for?
Reply Quote
Ok so far I have gathered:

Barbs are a better choice due to the use and maintenance of Rage vs Spirit, as well as survivability.
I also understood that it is cheaper to gear up a barb, as they require char specific items and do not compete with other classes for gear.

I think I will start leveling my barb up in this case. What kind of weapons am I looking for?

I disagree with that statement.

There are as many barbs around as monks+dh combined, which is why barb gear is NOT cheaper than monk gear.

Furthermore, yes barb is fast and has good surviablity, but so does monk. And monk does not rely on keeping up wrath of the beserker to be super fast.

Many "n00bs" (sry if I offended anyone here) talk about what mp lvevel they CAN, when in fact they should be talking about how fast they are on mp1-2 (since that's where u get most items / hour played (YES, legends and set items too). THe extra item drops and increased MF from higher mp lvls is simply NOT WORTH the extra time it takes to clear mp7 f.ex.

My barb is pretty nice I think, but I seriously consider pimping monk to be able to speedfarm even better on low mp.
Reply Quote
your main hand weapon needs to have say 900+ dps and soc a echoing fury is good hear off hand needs a few stats life steal LoH Crit dmg and soc dps say 600-700 make sure its a dagger or sword for attack speed that is if u go for ww if u go alt buil use a skorn u can go wrong there
Reply Quote
View profile
10/11/2012 13:03Posted by Kokica
Anyone thinked of replacing ww with rend? You got the speed from sprint and you gor 4x more damage!

you only have 4x more damage compared to using ww once every 5 seconds (rend damage doesnt stack when spammed).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]