Diablo® III

Dr3ad7ock's Brutality Build w Guide. (Mid MPlvl)

Looking for a mid mp level farming build? Look no further!

The damage output of this build is so brutal and beyond comparison it boggles the mind.
It will take you higher (in mp levels) than you thought was possible.
It offers incredible survival and control as well.

Lets examine the abilities:

Active:

Grasp of the Dead (GotD) - Unbreakable Grasp
80% aoe slow and 320% weapon damage over 8 seconds.
This rune is set in stone, it is your source of control and one of the cornerstones of this build.

Locust Swarm (LS) - Pestilence
360% weapon damage over 8 seconds, with 100% chance to jump to 2 additional targets.
One of my favorite abilities since release have been Locust swarm.
While Pestilence damage on it's own may seem low compared to Searing Locust,
the synergy it gives with the overlaping and quick spread is another key to this build.

Acid Cloud (AC) - Lob Blob Bomb
115% initial weapon damage, the acid on the ground forms into a slime that irradiates nearby enemies for 250% weapon damage as Poison over 5 seconds.
Now this rune is not set in stone.
But I prefer it since the slimes stack up to 3 times.

Zombie Charger (ZB) - Zombie Bears
708% weapon damage in a roaring stampede of poisonous AoE death.
The undisputed champion of damage abilities.

Soul Harvest (SH) - Vengeful Spirit
230% weapon damage with 16 yards Area of Effect,
in addition granting 650 intellect for 30 seconds.

A very effective direct heal when using Life Steal.

Spirit Walk (SW) - Honored Guest
General "Oh !@#$!" button and 30% Mana fail safe.

Passive:

Grave Injustice
2% Health and Mana gained per enemy that dies within 8 yards + any additional pickup range, while also granting 1 second cooldown reduction to all abilities.
This is another key ability for this build, and any fast pace farming build,
as it lowers the cooldown of SW.
This is also the main source of mana regen vs trash mobs so pickup range is very important.

Gruesome Feast
Health Globes grant 10% Mana and 10% increased Intelligence bonus for 5 sec, stacks 5 times.
Massive damage buff and one of your main Mana sources.

Blood Ritual
15% of Mana cost is paid in Health, 1% of maximum Health regenerated per second.
By far my favorite passive ability, I use it in pretty much every build.
The Life Regeneration from this ability is extremely usefull vs Reflect Damage packs.

How and why this build works:
First of all you're not reliant on any long cooldowns or pets.
You control the flow of the fight and dictate the range, even with elites.
Your aim is to keep all 3 DoTs active and then release the bears.

Lets examine the gameplay sequence:
First priority should always be 5 stacks of SH.
GotD -> LS -> AC -> ZB
GotD and LS both have a long duration but AC needs to be refreshed every 3 seconds.
With all 3 DoTs active you have 135% weapon damage per second!
Assuming you'd have 1 attack per second, with bears this adds up to 843% weapon damage per second at it's peak.
Now consider that all of these abilities are AoE.

But that's not all folks!

The most amazing part of this build, and where it truly shines, is vs Reflect Damage packs.
AC's LoH coefficient is widely known to be amazing, where as GotD is overlooked becasue of it's fairly low damage and coefficient.
Same goes for LS since, (as far as I know), it only procs LoH when it spreads to a new target.
However when combining all 3 the health return is unbelievable, it lets you trample down Reflect packs with bears without breaking a sweat.

Gear requirements:
1k+ Life on Hit, Life Steal, 800+ unbuffed Physical Resist and 4k armor.
As you may imagine this is an extremely Mana intense build.
I recommend 4 set Zunimassa (with offhand), Ceremonial Knife and Voodoo Mask with Mana Regen.
Your passive Mana Regen dictates how far you can take this build in terms of MP level.
150k+ unbuffed damage and 100+ Mana Regen lets you play MP6 as if it was MP1.

Link to the Build for the lazy: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#RfUZdh!TYc!ZcZaca

MP8 gameplay footage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP0L1a_AZFI 3:40
Edited by Dr3ad7ock#1410 on 07/02/2013 13:40 GMT
Reply Quote
- Diablo III
View profile
All I'm going to say is "It's about damn time!" I've been waiting for you to do this for a while :)

Thanks for the build I shall add it to the list.
Reply Quote
12/11/2012 15:11Posted by Dr3ad7ock
t will take you higher (in mp levels) than you thought was possible.

yeah but does it go to 11
Reply Quote
noob question, is jousting, ring and amu the only places you can get loh?

looking pretty good, will give it a try, getting slightly bored of spirit barrage and bears ^^. although i think i need some loh to fully utilise this.
Reply Quote
will try it tonight ... looks interesting. Just one question: does the gotd works as intended for the elites with "fast" affix or it has some proc to it ....

thx again
Reply Quote
noob question, is jousting, ring and amu the only places you can get loh?

looking pretty good, will give it a try, getting slightly bored of spirit barrage and bears ^^. although i think i need some loh to fully utilise this.

no, there is LOH on the pants (blackthornes set)
Reply Quote
12/11/2012 15:15Posted by House
yeah but does it go to 11

It does not go to 11, but it increases your farming efficiency and lets you play higher MP levels.

12/11/2012 15:23Posted by House
noob question, is jousting, ring and amu the only places you can get loh

You can get it on weapon as well, though I prefer Blackthorne's legs + amulet.
I keep an amulet with high LoH and a Unity ring in my bags for reflect packs.
Stone of Jordan is not recommended vs RD.

Just one question: does the gotd works as intended for the elites with "fast" affix or it has some proc to it.

Fast affix and mob types that are inherently fast will just run over GotD if you try to kite them,
however this build can handle "facetanking" to some degree.
Best thing to do is place it once they're on top of you.
Edited by Dr3ad7ock#1410 on 12/11/2012 17:20 GMT
Reply Quote
12/11/2012 15:15Posted by Fean
All I'm going to say is "It's about damn time!" I've been waiting for you to do this for a while :)

Paragon leveling and ubers have been the only things on the schedule until recently, so basicly either mp1 or mp8-10.
But now I'm finaly back to the item hunt again!
Reply Quote
I actually dropped gargantuan to test LS and I think I'm gonna keep it. Doesn't really add much dps, but helps getting aggro. Tested on MP8 A3 run, more useful then a garg. Not good for ubers though.

This is my build
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#WRUfdh!aUc!baccYa
Reply Quote
tried it, found the control a bit too awkward, i think im getting a bit too comfortable with spirit bears -_- didnt help the first pack was reflect.
Reply Quote
Brutal stuff indeed especially when you got a Dogtor to feed you with health globes ^^
Reply Quote
Why pestilence?

I was testing devouring swarm a while ago.. casted it once in the fields of slaughter and even mobs that were out of screen got infected, It was endless mana and mobs were glowing blue all around.
Reply Quote
20/12/2012 23:18Posted by Whopper78
Brutal stuff indeed especially when you got a Dogtor to feed you with health globes ^^

You know it!

Why pestilence?

I was testing devouring swarm a while ago.. casted it once in the fields of slaughter and even mobs that were out of screen got infected, It was endless mana and mobs were glowing blue all around.

Prefer the even spread from Pestilence over the other runes, they tend to skip mobs alot.
I generaly don't have mana issues when playing this spec solo mp8.
Using a different build for MP10 if I'm playing solo.
Reply Quote
Long overdue gameplay footage added.
Reply Quote
07/02/2013 13:05Posted by Dr3ad7ock
Long overdue gameplay footage added.

thx, very interesting video and very good bears spamming skills!
Reply Quote
hmmmm very interesting, gonna try it out in the morning. oh wait i dont have LoH :(
Reply Quote
ok, just tried the build died like an idiot on mp5 constantly, what went wrong?

is it because i dont have LoH? or its due to lack of physical resis/ dmg reduction? any advice is appreciated.

*im so so pissed atm. :S
Reply Quote
ok, just tried the build died like an idiot on mp5 constantly, what went wrong?

is it because i dont have LoH? or its due to lack of physical resis/ dmg reduction? any advice is appreciated.

*im so so pissed atm. :S

Yes, the idea is to have alot of LoH and use Acid Cloud for healing.
Your armor and resists are fine, even higher than mine, but you need 1k+ LoH vs reflect.

Also try Acid Rain or Lob Blob Bomb instead of Slow Burn.
Acid Rain makes it alot easier to maximize the healing from LoH and Lob Blob Bomb stacks up to 3 times.
Slow Burn doesn't stack, you just keep overwriting it when you recast.
Edited by Dr3ad7ock#1410 on 08/02/2013 12:21 GMT
Reply Quote
I would wait for 1.0.7 instead of getting LoH:) Anyway nanomidgy I think you do something wrong. I generally don't die do reflect on mp7 with build in profile, no LoH, 43k HP and 2.8 LS.
Reply Quote
Lob Blob Bomb stacks up to 3 times.
Slow Burn doesn't stack, you just keep overwriting it when you recast.

Ohh? i didnt know that :) i just watched ur video again and saw u changed to LoH ring and amu vs RD there, thats why i was wondering how did u do that with only 475 loh on ur pants in profile.

08/02/2013 12:23Posted by spootnick
I would wait for 1.0.7 instead of getting LoH:) Anyway nanomidgy I think you do something wrong. I generally don't die do reflect on mp7 with build in profile, no LoH, 43k HP and 2.8 LS.

humm i rarely die on mp7 with standard bear build, vs RD sometimes horrify:FA is enough for me to spam bear in their face, but this is an interesting build cos i love locusts and i wanna make it work for me :)

*sorry for being aggressive in my reply i was really angry lol but im fine now, and thx for the advice :P
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]