Diablo® III

Inferno MP0 vs MP1

So I'm a relatively new player (started less than a month ago) and I just hit Inferno few days ago.

I always played on some MP setting during my run so far, depending on gear. Whenever I got upgrades I'd go for MP7-8 then lower it gradually until my next upgrade.
When I hit 60 and got the gear I have now I could finish Hell on MP7-9 and I was even running with PtV passive and AC:AR for the large AoE. I would run oom ocasionally, but everything was just melting in front of me and it was fast

When I hit Inferno, I lowered to MP2 and... couldn't even kill the fist elite pack w/o dying twice... Bummer!
I'm thinking ok, I'll try a build that requires a bit more work (positioning, keeping another buff up) but should be more effective. So i gave up PtV passive for Jungle fortitude, gave up dogs for Hex and switched to bears from AC. And went down to MP1. Now it was about 50/50 (on dying or not) with the elites, depending on their abilities, location and other mobs in the area. But still quite a struggle and nowhere near efficient, the problem being I get 2-3 shot by elites.

At this point I went down to MP0 and - surprise, surprise! - it's a walk in the park.

So... sorry for the long post, but here are my 2 main points:

1. WTF at the difference between MP0 and MP1?! They should do just 9% more damage, but it feels more like rabid dogs vs. cute puppies.
2. Could you help me with some advice (next upgrades, different build for my current gear) for being able to do MP1-2 w/o dying as much?
Reply Quote
Ah yes, I remember hitting inferno and thinking the same thing. Granted, that was before mp was introduced, but couldn't have changed all that much.

You need much, much more all resistance gear for inferno, and some more armor would help. You also need more life generating abilities, be it LoH, life steal, or regen. As you've noticed, you can't necessarily rely on the "kill them before they kill you" strategy until you get your dps much higher. You need to up your defense when you can.

Gonna be a while before you're cruising like you were in hell, that's just the way this game is set up really.
Reply Quote
1. act I inferno? :-) yea, it's crazy. act I inferno MP1 is like 10 times harder than MP0. but once you reach act III inferno, the MP levels will be really 10% plus always. it feels like MP1 act I is equal to MP1 act III, but MP0 act I is like 10 times easier than MP0 act III.

2. first of all, finish inferno at MP0. really. than start farming and slowly increase the MP level depending on how strong you feel.
Reply Quote
Look for all resist on items at least 40 higher if possible, if it has another resist as well bonus, problem with most of your gear.

You have no crit hit on any items this will affect your dps drastically, look for it on gloves, rings, amulet, head, try to get 30% crit hit.

You have 2.90% lifesteal which should keep you alive with more resist (600) and a bit more armour, have you tried Acid cloud>Acid Rain as it procs LS/LoH really well.

Try MP0/1 as it will be faster and save on costly repair bills :)
Reply Quote
08/11/2012 14:31Posted by houserhythm
1. WTF at the difference between MP0 and MP1?! They should do just 9% more damage, but it feels more like rabid dogs vs. cute puppies.

The thing is mp1 increases all monster lvl to 63 so that increase feels more than it should be, as stated before for act 3 where monster lvl is 63 by default the damage increase doesn't feel that much.
Edited by Ignarsoll#2967 on 08/11/2012 15:19 GMT
Reply Quote
As others already stated: welcome to the Inferno wall. Fortunately you can drop to MP0 and farm for gold/exp. Use your gold wisely on the AH, stack all resist, armor and vitality - forget magic find and gold find items for a while. At some point you will be able to switch to MP1 and start farming for items.
Reply Quote
I didnt play the game myself for quite a while, if you take a look at my current gear it might give you some ideas of upgrades without hugh costs. Its good enough to clear MP3, im struggling a bit on MP4 now with a bit of a lack of damage due to prefering to keeping high MF gear.

You need to look to add some crit chance gear first, you have 180 crit damage, but only the base 5% crit chance, adding just 1 crit chance will add over 500 DPS.
Reply Quote
houserhythm:

Your armor and resistances are calculated against the same level enemies from your level. When the enemies are higher than you, your armor and resistance reduction you see on details isn't true anymore.

In inferno act 1 the monsters are lv61 on MP0. However, when you enable Monster Power-levels, the enemies are at lv63 (even in MP1). This means that by changing the difficulty to MP 1 from MP 0, you are basically changing from Act 1 to Act 4.

So if inferno Act 1 feels like a walk in a park with MP 0, try playing Act 2 or Act 3 on MP 0.

Act 1 = lv61 enemies (inferno) / Whimsyshire = lv63 enemies (inferno)
Act 2 = lv62 enemies (inferno)
Act 3 = lv63 enemies (inferno)
Act 4 = lv64 enemies (inferno)
Edited by Höyste#1343 on 08/11/2012 15:38 GMT
Reply Quote
for acts 1 and 2 inferno activating mp1 and up puts all monsters at lvl63. so much harder.
Reply Quote
It could also be a tip to start at act 1 when you do start mp1. The mobs might hit as hard and be the same lvl as the other acts on act 1, but they usualy have less abilities and are easyer ( except the nasty burrovers in the field of miserry, and maybe the trees, but just keep em ranged)
Reply Quote
mp0 is the best mp to farm. there is no reason to enable monster power. its so unrewarding.
mp0 act 3 fast runs is the best. for xp and loot
Reply Quote
Thanks for all the replies. The whole thing makes more sense to me now.
And although having the info about mob level changing doesn't help me kill them, at least the frustration is gone :)
Looking into some CC & AR gear. I knew I needed it, just didn't realise how much.
Reply Quote
If you like i Will quite happily do some runs with you in game. I only recently got the game (hit 60 like 2 weeks ago) and am currently farming monster power 1.

If you would like some help reply in this thread and add me on game :)
Reply Quote
Thanks Fozzy, I really appreciate the offer, but... I usually go at a pretty slow pace and I'm really OCD about checking every nook & cranny, opening every chest or dead villager etc.
So I'm affraid either your experience would be ruined or I'd be really stressed about going too fast.
Yeah, I'm weird that way :)
Reply Quote
Thanks Fozzy, I really appreciate the offer, but... I usually go at a pretty slow pace and I'm really OCD about checking every nook & cranny, opening every chest or dead villager etc.
So I'm affraid either your experience would be ruined or I'd be really stressed about going too fast.
Yeah, I'm weird that way :)

Haha i used to be like that to :P But finaly i realised how much i acctualy where losing on that. so now its more that i exit as soon as i find the exit, unless i know for sure there is a pack left close by :P
Reply Quote
When I started inferno, I put it up to mp10 just to see how I'd go...after taking 20sec to kill the first zombie, I put it to mp1 haha
Reply Quote
mp0 is the best mp to farm. there is no reason to enable monster power. its so unrewarding.
mp0 act 3 fast runs is the best. for xp and loot

I know this post is old....but just in case there are some new guys who read this thread...this isn't true anymore.

Mp1 effectively patches the density buff in. So there are more to kill on mp1, thus more XP/hour + loot.
Reply Quote
06/07/2013 19:26Posted by Arbeia
Mp1 effectively patches the density buff in. So there are more to kill on mp1, thus more XP/hour + loot.

With a proper killing efficiency...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]