Diablo® III

Is the 35% exp bonus from hellfire ring worth it

As the title says,

The ring is in my profile. I have bought a ring on AH which gives me roughly 10K dps more and 4k life less than my hellfire ring.

I can live without the Vita, but i am reluctant to switch due to the 35% experience bonus. A quick calculation told me it gives me 3-3,5m less XP per alkaizer run so that means that i will have to make an extra 1-2 runs to gain a level.

The question: How important is the 35% experience bonus and should i swap due to the DPS increase?
Reply Quote
It is as important as you make it. With 2 rings, 31% XP gem and Leorics on follow I did about 1000 runs to get to get to P100, and without Hellfire on my DH, it would have been around 1250-1300 runs. If you consider 15 min per run, then the ring will save you 1125 hours.

You have 175 dps and Wrath, so you do not need more dps for farming xp on MP1, but you would need around 75-100K more dps to do it as efficiently on MP2. So you do not need more dps.

I would suggest you changed your build. Bola is to begin with very slow compared to HA:SoT on MP1-3, and as you with Wrath have perma vault / gloom ability, you should replace Traps with Bat and SS with Backup Plan, that would increase your farming speed alot.
Reply Quote
@ Cottonface: Thanks for the advice, appreciate it!

So what you're saying is that i need far more DPS to farm MP2 than the 10k from the ring, so i can best stay with the hellfire ring so save all the time? Seeing that my runs are more like 20-25 mins runs, the time saved is much greater. (and seeing that i have a regular life, with work and normal sleep, i value my time)

I will try the skill suggestions you said, but some questions regarding them:

- Are those just suggestions for farming or also for uber bosses and key hunting? (SS is very handy to avoid uber maghda insects swarm or kulle's slow globe)
- I really like the stun and the AOE on Bola, is HA:SoT strong enough @ my DPS to compensate for that? I btw agree that bola is slow at first, but the AOE works nice since the mobs are nicely together @ alkaizer runs
- I have the traps in it for elites, Which die rather quite fast with it. It is also an alternative form of damage which also has an AoE element in it. Will removing the traps just slow me down because i will need more time to kill elites?
Reply Quote
30/11/2012 09:10Posted by ShadeOfGrey
- Are those just suggestions for farming or also for uber bosses and key hunting? (SS is very handy to avoid uber maghda insects swarm or kulle's slow globe)

There is another way of avoiding Maghda's bugs, Kulle's globe, Azmodan's fireball... it is called Moving out of the way :)

- I really like the stun and the AOE on Bola, is HA:SoT strong enough @ my DPS to compensate for that? I btw agree that bola is slow at first, but the AOE works nice since the mobs are nicely together @ alkaizer runs

I did some "testing" of Bola/HA and CA/EA (and MS) here:

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5967257392

My experince with bola is, that it simply is too slow an attack for a vaulter or if you kill mobs fast. On MP1 for xp runs MS:FaW has a slight advantage over EA:BL versus small groups, but EA:BL wins once you have large groups.

While some argue that you can shoot and then just move on, but I personally find it too slow for especially MP1; we can argue about MP3. On MP5-8, I really like Thunder Ball; on those levels Bola really comes in and shows how amazing an attack it is.

25 minuts for Alkaizer route is slow. With Wrath and your dps, you should be able to do it in 15 minutes easy.

- I have the traps in it for elites

Some, like ProHacker, favors 3 attacks and 3 defensive skills. Others prefer 1 generator and 1 spender. One plays the way one likes to play, nothing is written in stone :)

I don't recall who said it, but I have tried it, and in most cases it actually works fine. What was said was, that on MP1 you can go with EA:BL or MS:FaW as only attack, as mobs die so fast that you never (with a bat) really lose any hatred.
Edited by Cottonface#1659 on 30/11/2012 10:01 GMT
Reply Quote
30/11/2012 09:58Posted by Cottonface
There is another way of avoiding Maghda's bugs, Kulle's globe, Azmodan's fireball... it is called Moving out of the way :)

Kinda hard when you vault and kulle puts up a globe on the destination and follows with a fireball.. :)

read the topic, nice! Thanks for the explanation!

30/11/2012 09:58Posted by Cottonface
25 minuts for Alkaizer route is slow. With Wrath and your dps, you should be able to do it in 15 minutes easy.

I probably has something to do with me wanting to pick up everything yellow. What do you guys pickup on an XP run?

Great feedback overall and wil give it a go tonight!
Reply Quote
No. Where do you rush to? I had a LOT better drops when i was leveling compared to farming at plvl 100.
Reply Quote
- Diablo III
View profile
Gotta say, i stopped using hellfire (mainly because i really dont have a good one yet), but it lowered my dps a lot and even though i was still one shotting stuff on mp1 it effected a few things like night stalker proc, damage and attack speed.

Just more fun wearing my normal gear.

I also figured, once i get to para 100 i might just stop playing. (leveling up is half the fun)
So whats the rush :P

I'll still wear the gem in my helm so its a little faster, but im not nerfing my dps for paragon level progress. I'd rather 1200 hrs of good fun then 1000 of mediocre fun :P
Reply Quote
30/11/2012 11:36Posted by BAPHA
No. Where do you rush to? I had a LOT better drops when i was leveling compared to farming at plvl 100.

What are you referring to?
Reply Quote
30/11/2012 11:52Posted by D3MON
I'll still wear the gem in my helm so its a little faster, but im not nerfing my dps for paragon level progress. I'd rather 1200 hrs of good fun then 1000 of mediocre fun :P

Interesting. Something to think about.
Reply Quote
[quote="59664523097"][...]
I probably has something to do with me wanting to pick up everything yellow. What do you guys pickup on an XP run?[...]

You should pick up only amulets, rings, gloves and bracers. You might consider picking up 1-handed weapons too. All the rest you should leave on the ground: no point in wasting time and space to get 2-h weapons when a decent skorn beats them all. And of course, get the legendaries. Brimstones are always useful.
Reply Quote
- Diablo III
View profile
[quote]
[...]
I probably has something to do with me wanting to pick up everything yellow. What do you guys pickup on an XP run?[...]

You should pick up only amulets, rings, gloves and bracers. You might consider picking up 1-handed weapons too. All the rest you should leave on the ground: no point in wasting time and space to get 2-h weapons when a decent skorn beats them all. And of course, get the legendaries. Brimstones are always useful.

+1, but I'd get pants too, they have a chance to roll great stats.
Reply Quote
I picked up all brown/green, Archon chest/pants, 63 bracers, 61-63 gloves, all amu/rings :)

Actually, one of the best items I found during my leveling was a pair of level 58 bracers, which sold for 125 million gold; can't remember stats now, but it was almost perfect strenght, vit, AR and crit.
Reply Quote
30/11/2012 12:48Posted by ShadeOfGrey

What are you referring to?

Playing at less than max MF gives better drops. This statement is based on my personal experience!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]