Diablo® III

Stance on macros on Razer and other similar devices

I searched the forums a lot, and since I could not find a conclusive answer, I decided to write a ticket and ask them directly.

Here you can see what I wrote, and what they're answer was:

Razer Naga Macros

Hello,
I found this category to be best fitting, even though I'm not appealing a ban, since it relates to the TOS (which is what you know best in this category).

I want to ask you which of the following macros are allowed, and which aren't, since the TOS is quite vague, and after searching the forums, I couldn't come to a conclusive answer either:

1. Macros created using Razer Synapse (which is also the driver for Razer Naga Mouse, and the macros are widely used in other games too)

1.1 All with a single click:
Press shift+left click to cast Rend, then delay of 0.2 seconds, then cast Overpower

1.2 All with a single click:
Press shift+left click to cast Rend (without the delay and Overpower, as mentioned above).

1.3 Toggle on/off the repeatedly auto-pressing of button "1" each 3 seconds to refresh Sprint buff every time it expires

2. AutoHotkey

2.1 Toggle "v" (default run key) by pressing "b", which means I don't need to keep "v" pressed, instead I press "b" whenever I want to toggle it on or off.

2.2 Rebind "b" keyboard key to a mouse key.

3. Gear switch macros (many streamers used to use them too

Like this, I can totally get rid of the keyboard, and have all my keys remapped to my mouse.

All the answers I found on the various forums I looked up were quite contradictory, so I wasn't sure if I can use these or not.
For safety reasons, I will be using them after getting a confirmation from you, about which is, and which isn't allowed.

Also, I've been reading that these macros can be created using the Diablo III mouse software as well, which may imply that they are allowed by you.
So the question still remains:
Are we allowed to use these? If not, then how come they are included in the software?

Please read this carefully, and answer me with as much detail as you can, to each mentioned topic.

I might also use your answer to make a thread on the forums, for a conclusive answer for everybody else.

Thanks,
"My name"

Here is what they answered:
Hey there!

Thank you for your patience while waiting for this reply, I'm sorry for the time you have had to wait; we're super busy right now but working hard to get things back in control.

This is quite a list of questions, I'm not going to be able to answer them in a lot of detail though as the line between what is acceptable and what's not is quite fine and I don't want you to interpret something in the wrong way.

As far as section 1 goes, you're allowed to macro anything you want as long as you still have to control the character and interact with the game directly, you can't make a macro to do the full combat cycle for you.

Section 2 is a bit more complicated, if you're refering to the external software "Autohotkey" then I would avoid using this as it has the potential to automate too much of your game and therefore cause you problems.

I understand your concerns here, I would advise you don't try to push the boundries of our policies and terms of use as automating game play is something we're very strict on and there's not often a lot of room for second chances.

I hope this answers all your questions today, take care!

Kind Regards,
Xyloramee,
English Game Master Team,
Blizzard Entertainment Europe.

Check out our youtube channel for tips on common issues!
http://www.youtube.com/user/BlizzardTutorial

So as far as I can see, I'm fine using macros that:
- with 1 button press is doing multiple actions.
- 1 key press can toggle on/off my actions to be repeated every seconds (3, in case of sprint).

It seems we're not fine using software that has the potential to also be used as a botting program like "AutoHotkey", even though I'm using it just for toggling a button on or off (if I do that on Razer Synapse, it keeps clicking the button over and over, instead of clicking it once, then release it on "toggle off"), likely because Warden (the bot detection software) may interpret it as botting (since they can see what processes we are running in the background).

I hope this will help you understand how things work.

As far as "I would advise you don't try to push the boundries of our policies and terms of use", in my opinion, as long as we are allowed to do all the stuff described above, we have more than enough ways to make the game handier for us.
Edited by DAngel7#2200 on 05/12/2012 20:27 GMT
Reply Quote
thx for this one i was also wondering where is the line. in my case, i use Logitech G110 i've assumed that any macro that can automate things faster then avg person would be too much in eyes of Blizz.

so i decided to automate some chains of spell casts with a speed i would more less press buttons (record macro/button sequence thing) seems it is ok with Blizz since i've never received any warning or ban for "cheating". tho your post makes me feel much better about it :)
Edited by Roken#2259 on 24/12/2012 21:08 GMT
Reply Quote
Great to see this post OP - thanks!

I have recently been giving some love to my CM freeze wizard, and yes the 1-2-3 bashing has given me sore fingers and possible RSI injuries LOL.

I don't wish to risk a ban and wonder if it's ok to assign the se 3 repeated button presses to one button. It won't move the character for me or do as he forbids below -

05/12/2012 20:18Posted by DAngel7
As far as section 1 goes, you're allowed to macro anything you want as long as you still have to control the character and interact with the game directly

What's your view on this?

It's a shame that Blizz won't clarify specific requests, though I understand they have to err on the side of caution with all the botter scum...
Reply Quote
Could you provide a screenshot please
Reply Quote
Here you go guys, enjoy lol

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7004692437
Reply Quote
24/12/2012 21:50Posted by stewie
Could you provide a screenshot please

Here is the screenshot.
Sorry, I only came back to this post now, since there is a debate about it, so I wanted to link to it.

http://s1226.beta.photobucket.com/user/DAngel7/media/proof_zps2d60c417.png.html
Reply Quote
nice, time to workout that extra button on the mouse. :D

if i ever get the hammer, i'll link this thread.
Reply Quote
It would be great to see a blue post in here.

I'm also using razer hardware - nostromo keypad and orochi mouse, as well as roccat isku keyboard, simply because they're the most comfy for me. Razer's drivers have built-in macro functionality, in most of gaming tournaments it is legal as long as it's done by your hardware and not 3rd party programs (simple macro on razer kb is ok, but for example autoit it prohibited, further rules about complexity of macros sometimes apply as well)

personally I use macro for refreshing sweeping wind, and got quite nice keybinds on nostromo keypad+extra buttons in mouse.

As far as I am aware, official D3 mouse also is capable of macros via driver, without using any 3rd party software, so I assume it is absolutely fine, but one again, can we have blue post in here to verify it?

/requested sticky on this topic to get some more attention from GM's/
Edited by Archangel#2239 on 25/01/2013 12:55 GMT
Reply Quote
So you think that a macro that repeats one skill every few seconds with one click (or have a delay before casting another) is not automated? That is exactly what bots do.
Reply Quote
25/01/2013 13:15Posted by Knubbsal
So you think that a macro that repeats one skill every few seconds with one click (or have a delay before casting another) is not automated? That is exactly what bots do.

bam! it does not repeat unless you click a button.
Reply Quote
glad this was finally answered in understandable way.
Reply Quote
25/01/2013 13:15Posted by Knubbsal

difference is that it is not done by 3rd party software, but by genuine driver for the hardware, which is part of the environment for which this game is designed to work in (windows)

if it would be against ToS, then it would be major fail from blizzard to sign under 'diablo 3 mouse', which has macro functionality as well.
Reply Quote
I have a question, can someone help me? Blue? Plz ...

1) Could I make a macro on the mouse only to repeat an action, for example, I only need repeat one action from mouse "222222222". I play using Zdogs, my fingers are destroyed, i'd like to hold on button 1 from keyboard and press the mouse macro for repeat the number "2" , is this allowed?

Thx
Reply Quote
so is this allowed?
http://i40.tinypic.com/2ql6agi.jpg
Reply Quote
05/01/2014 17:13Posted by second
so is this allowed?

Going to repost my reply to your other thread here:

You could completely avoid any misconception by simply keeping 1, 2 and 3 pressed while you spam your ww button. Much easier already without a macro.

That being said, if you insist on using a macro, I personally believe any program that translates 1 input from you to multiple key-inputs in the game constitutes as a macro. Blizzard has always been very vague about this, and many people have used macros for sns and other builds without being banned.

Most people that get banned use software that reads the game files, or otherwise modifies the game. Showing monsters on the minimap, zooming out for a bigger view, etc. Key press macro generally don't do this so you're on the relatively safe side.
Reply Quote
05/01/2014 17:13Posted by second

I asked Inigo Montoya on stream while he was trying to play RoS beta about a similar situation. He said that he recieved a clarification from Blizzard Customer Support once, explaining that you can use macros only if it's not looped. So, one key pressed, a couple of skills used, like you'd bind a few skills to one key - that's OK. If it set to repeat - it's against ToS.

Still, you should use any macros on your own risk. Sucks to be banned for something like that.
Edited by TommyDe#2383 on 05/01/2014 20:07 GMT
Reply Quote
thanks my fingers hurting like hell when playing cm/wizard
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]