Diablo® III

First Double Legendary Drop

So this morning I started an Alkazier-ish run on A3/MP2. And right at the start of Arreat Core after killing a yellow Golgor boss I see 2 beams dropped. This was with zero NV stacks! What are the chances? AND, they were both good items too (I didn't ID them yet). One is a Lacuni Prowlers, the other is a 63 set Cape (Nats?).

Then 2 minutes later, a brown Wizard Hat drops... but it was the pointy 58 Gandalf Hat that you know is trash before you even ID.

Luck was on my side this morning! Sometimes I do wonder if the actual % is tweaked (not the RNG but the drop %)... as they never disclosed that number for legendaries; they did say they doubled it for 1.0.5, but again, never disclose the actual rate.

The day before Thanksgiving I got a whopping 21 browns/greens (MP2/Maxed out MF)... it certainly felt like someone bumped up the % rate, but I was probably just immensely lucky that day. Never saw anything even close to that # of drops again.
Reply Quote
That's the wonder of RNG some days nothing then 5 drops in an hour on another, the reason people get sucked into this game is that any kill on inferno act 3 could be the one to really make your day since any enemy can drop anything.

One kill has the same chance as any other, just as a test i fitted my monk for 475mf and spent a day on act 2 normal MP10(100 more mf) to see just what it was like to have huge magic find along side instant mob killing not like higher modes where their is a trade off and legendaries dropped more in a day than i get in a week of act 3 runs.

Most people don't notice that gradually they do more damage with higher mf so they do drop more legendaries, but going to normal made the difference instantaneous, so I now know that inferno level legendary drops seem low because kills are slower at worse mf.

it really doesn't matter more mf is always better and faster kills are always better, it's all about weighing systems in our favor.
Reply Quote
OP dont worry.. usually when I get a nice drop, then I dont get anything for a week or three ::)
Reply Quote
on 5/11/2012 double green for me:
http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/6808/screenshot000lfc.jpg
Reply Quote
07/12/2012 15:16Posted by Slaal
One kill has the same chance as any other, just as a test i fitted my monk for 475mf and spent a day on act 2 normal MP10(100 more mf) to see just what it was like to have huge magic find along side instant mob killing not like higher modes where their is a trade off and legendaries dropped more in a day than i get in a week of act 3 runs.

The drops are very spikey. 3 runs nothing, then BOOM 4 in one run. I try not to get caught up in drops per run... but drops per TIME. My sweet spot seems to be MP2/Act 3 Alk runs. The biggest jump here is the bonus item going from 1% to 8%.

MP3 is a very close 2nd... MP4 I can still do easily but it takes much more time. So overall, MP2 seems like the most efficient for item farming over TIME for me (Perma-Archon build). The bonuses to MF and Bonus item at higher MPs are more than negated by the slower farming speed.
Reply Quote

Wow, that's nice! and that was BEFORE the bump the leg drop rate and MP MF bonuses... much much rarer than it is now!
Reply Quote
Magic Find

Finding more and better magic items is critical to overcoming challenges and defeating enemies in Diablo III, particularly on higher difficulties. Magic find is a unique item property that can help you drastically improve your haul. It is tracked in the Inventory menu (Inventory > Details > Adventure).

But what does that really mean?

Magic find affects the quality of items you acquire from killing enemies (but not treasure chests, vases, weapon racks, or other environmental objects). It doesn’t give you a chance to get more items on a given kill – instead, it increases the chance that an item you find will be magical, and more potent than it would be otherwise.

When a monster drops an item, Diablo III randomly determines the item’s quality from a chart that includes item quality and the number of affixes present. The game randomly "rolls" on each property in the chart to determine which affixes your item will get. Your magic find score is applied as a bonus to these rolls.

For example, if a monster has a 4% chance to drop a 6-affix rare item and you have +50% magic find, it now has a 6% chance to drop that item.

Item quality is checked in the following order:

Legendary
6-affix rare
5-affix rare
4-affix rare
2-affix rare
1-affix rare
magic item
Reply Quote
@Kortak

yeah, I've read that entire description a few times before. I don't doubt the process at all (RNG), the order of checking, etc.

What I do wonder sometimes (or should I say it FEELS like) is that the legendary PERCENTAGE is tweaked, not the process by which randomization is rolled. As I've noted, they've been very forthcoming about 63 drops rates, but never specified leg drop rates.

On that thanksgiving eve, my best bud also got an inordinate amount of legs (I got 21, he got 14)... again this could very well be synchronized uber-luck, but it certainly FELT like the leg. % drop rate (NOT the RNG process) was higher that day.
Reply Quote
I've got once a double legendary drop from ghom and another time an almost double legendary drop, as it was dropped by two consecutive white mobs groups.

I've not been playing for 3 days, as I'm traveling and, by some limitations on my internet connection here I can't login to D3 to play, from my experience when I'm more than 2 or 3 days without logging in to the game, the first hours of playing, when I come back home, the legendaries drop rate will be crazy high. (This have happened to me several times already) Then, after that legendaries rush hours, everything will back to normal and I'll get a couple of legendaries a day 8-)
Reply Quote
07/12/2012 17:26Posted by Zbvodz
I've not been playing for 3 days, as I'm traveling and, by some limitations on my internet connection here I can't login to D3 to play, from my experience when I'm more than 2 or 3 days without logging in to the game, the first hours of playing, when I come back home, the legendaries drop rate will be crazy high. (This have happened to me several times already) Then, after that legendaries rush hours, everything will back to normal and I'll get a couple of legendaries a day 8-)

I've noticed that too. Again, keeping the idea of RNG (which doesn't change) vs. the legendary drop RATE (which perhaps can change) separated. Going from 1.0.4 to 1.0.5 certainly didn't change the RNG process, but the actual Legdendary drop RATE DID (they said 2x). Again, they have NEVER disclosed the actual legendary drop rate... maybe because it's not the same all of the time, or maybe they just want to keep certain things secret.
Reply Quote
I got a double this morning

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/5523/screenshot069ij.jpg

both rubbish of course.
Reply Quote

sick.

Its those viziers, theyve got the special sauce.
Reply Quote
i got a double set drop from the act I keywarden the other day...and i got his key.
that was on mp6 after a group uber kill session.

funny thing is that i didnt get any of the organs from either of the 3 bosses nor were the set items worth anything
Reply Quote
http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/3435/screenshot091i.jpg

3rd double drop just now, 2 quality brimstones right there, feels like christmas.
Reply Quote
I have been finding slightly more legendaries/sets recently. Not game breaking amounts, but definately more.

Also whats wrong with the pointy hat, Im using it on my wizard lol
Reply Quote
only 1 double for me. act2 keywarden dropped skorn lacunis & key ;)
Reply Quote
I have been finding slightly more legendaries/sets recently. Not game breaking amounts, but definately more.

Also whats wrong with the pointy hat, Im using it on my wizard lol

hehe, that hat plagues me, you dont even get a brimstone from it so you might as well ware it I guess. Today its Stormshields, I've found 5 so far today, a brimstone is a brimstone but common, 5 of the same legendary in 1 day? Its like an ex girlfriend who wont stop calling, does anyone even use shields now days?

item pool imo. It was Bul Kathos Vows the other day, last week I got about 4 burning axes in 1 day. Im cursed, Legendary superstition.

lol @ pat butcher.
Reply Quote
Yeah they need to up the pool of legendaries a bit, but Im sure thats coming with the inevitable expansion.
Reply Quote
yeah. I honestly wonder sometimes if theres only ever like 4 or 5 different legendaries that can drop on a given day. I dont want to sound like one of these OMG TEH DROPS ARE CONTROLLED conspiracy theorists but Im sort of going to go there a little.

So far I have found 3 Tal Rasha helmets, thing is I found them all on the same day, never before, never since. Bul Kathos Vow, I found 2 so far since the game was released, within an hour of each other. Yesterday out of maybe 7 Legendaries I found in a series of sequential runs 5 were Stormshields. On many, many occasions Ive found 3 to 5 of the same item in a day, an item that I have rarely found at other points. If all 200 or whatever legendaries could possibly drop at any time with consistent probability whats the chances of getting 4 of the same one in the same day?

Im not saying theres a secret Jay Wilson item potential nerf conspiracy, but theres a secret Jay Wilson item potential nerf conspiracy.

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/277/569/eb0.jpg
Reply Quote
Community
07/12/2012 14:44Posted by Fuzzbear
The day before Thanksgiving I got a whopping 21 browns/greens (MP2/Maxed out MF)... it certainly felt like someone bumped up the % rate, but I was probably just immensely lucky that day. Never saw anything even close to that # of drops again.

No changes or adjustments have been made to the drop rates, so this is a merely case of very good luck. Congratulations on that btw. :-)

07/12/2012 15:16Posted by Slaal
That's the wonder of RNG

Indeed. RNG can be a blessing and a curse at the same time :-)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]