Diablo® III

Blizzard - please implement this to stop all botting

We need a CAPTCHA system to detect humans are playing, implemented correctly it will not be obtrusive to genuine players and will not need any account bans.

Here is how the system works:

Initially the CAPTCHA will appear at random say ever hour, correctly answering the CAPTCHA however will start to massively ramp up the time between subsequent CAPTCHA's.

Answering the CAPTCHA incorrectly initially, but getting it right in the same session after a few attempts will have no effect on CAPTCHA time.

Continuing to issue mouse and keyboard commands whilst the CAPTCHA is active but not answering, or immediately disconnecting when the CAPTCHA appears will massively ramp down the time between CAPTCHAS.

That's the initial idea for the system, obviously needs some tweaks and refinement but in a nutshell that system will stop botting stone dead and be very little hindrance to genuine players.

Edit:Further ideas:

The CAPTCHA only need appear at all if the client/servers detect activity that may be botting. And a legitimate player detected in this way, that has answered the CAPTCHA a few times, will have the time between CAPTCHA's massively increased.

So once running it will be something like, excluding the botters:
90% of players will never see a CAPTCHA
10% of players, who trigger the bot match pattern, will very quickly have it reduced down to say once every 2 days or even more.
Edited by FuriousGeorg#2102 on 20/12/2012 12:39 GMT
Reply Quote
No thank you.. It would be very anoying to have to stop in the middle of some fight to type in some CATCHA every hour or even every 2 hours..
Reply Quote
Capatchas are not that hard to break. Not the solution.

There are easier ways to solve the problem without disturbing legit players.

As I said before, bots are connecting via same, server (For each "brand" there is only 1 server). All they gotta do is to ban all the accounts which are connected to that server. They are masking it in sorts of ways, yet i'm pretty sure they can override every security protocole and pinpoint certain IPs and accounts which are using those.
Reply Quote
just update client few times per day ... boters always got problem after patch and they need fix their bots for working on new wersion this work for most games

Qestion is if Blizzard rlly care or if they arent greed enought to get more ppl for working on those patches
Reply Quote

There are easier ways to solve the problem without disturbing legit players.

As I said before, bots are connecting via same, server (For each "brand" there is only 1 server). All they gotta do is to ban all the accounts which are connected to that server. They are masking it in sorts of ways, yet i'm pretty sure they can override every security protocole and pinpoint certain IPs and accounts which are using those.

dont worry profresional botter got 100 diffrent PC and 100 diffrent IPs legal
and i think blizzard cant just go and spy some1 network for more info thats probably broke laws
Reply Quote
View profile
20/12/2012 09:10Posted by FuriousGeorg
Here is how the system works:

...by annoying and interrupting legitimate players whilst the bots will code around it.
Reply Quote
20/12/2012 09:13Posted by CrimsonDeath
No thank you.. It would be very anoying to have to stop in the middle of some fight to type in some CATCHA every hour or even every 2 hours..

That isn't how it would work, quickly the frequency you would enter a capture would be something like every other day for legitimate players. A small price to pay to defeat bots.
Reply Quote
20/12/2012 09:20Posted by Sheryll

Incorrect, a decent CAPTCHA is very hard to break, also blizz could rotate the capture algorithm regularly.
Reply Quote
20/12/2012 09:20Posted by Sheryll

This isn't the case, yesterday looking at the botting forums to see all the crying over being banned I saw how they work.

They send mouse and keyboard commands directly to your D3 game client so will connect to whatever server your game client would normally. This is why they are so hard to detect.
Reply Quote
Also there is no need in fact for the CAPTCHA to appear at all unless the game suspects potential bot like activity.
Reply Quote
20/12/2012 10:03Posted by FuriousGeorg
Incorrect, a decent CAPTCHA is very hard to break, also blizz could rotate the capture algorithm regularly.

Only problem with those decent CAPTCHAs is that they become almost unreadable for human as well :)

Just a few examples:

http://www.johnmwillis.com/other/top-10-worst-captchas/
Edited by Darlynn#1750 on 20/12/2012 11:51 GMT
Reply Quote
Community
20/12/2012 09:13Posted by CrimsonDeath

This is indeed a concern we have with CAPTCHA systems, which is that they can feel very intrusive and annoying for legitimate players.
Reply Quote
20/12/2012 12:00Posted by Vaneras
This is indeed a concern we have with CAPTCHA systems, which is that they can feel very intrusive and annoying for legitimate players.

If CAPTCHA means no boters the then im fine with it even there is every 30 minutes some checkpoint.
Reply Quote
Bear in mind Vaneras the CAPTCHA only need appear at all if the client/servers detect activity that may be botting. And a legitimate player detected in this way, that has answered the CAPTCHA a few times, will have the time between CAPTCHA's massively increased.

So once running it will be something like, excluding the botters:
90% of players will never see a CAPTCHA
10% of players, who trigger the bot match pattern, will very quickly have it reduced down to say once every 2 days or even more.

Thanks for the feedback though.
Edited by FuriousGeorg#2102 on 20/12/2012 12:13 GMT
Reply Quote

A question i have everytime i see a blue post is whether u have the info to answer advanced stuff concerning the game. I mean arent u a community admin? Or do u have other responsibilities aswell ?
Reply Quote
And another thing the CAPTCHA can be restricted so it doesn't appear during fights or other times when it could be most annoying.
Reply Quote
Captcha is a nice idea but just wouldn't work in this game due to its design. You would probably be better off with some behaviour based bans but ones that give you a warning before you start another game saying something like

"Warning you have created too many game sessions in the xx (allotted time frame hours/minutes). If you continue to play your account may be suspended pending an investigation in breach or EULA."

A bot wouldn't take note of that warning where as a human would. Plus what's wrong with a little 10 minute break?

You have the problem that Bots are trying to mimic human play and strangely humans are mimicking Bots by doing the same Act 3 runs repeatedly with little or no variation. So picking out the offenders is going to be hard.
Reply Quote
Actually: I would be fine whith such a system. If I have to do this every 2 hours: no biggie, takes a few seconds. What is very important in this case: the game needs to auto-pause otherwise the HC players will go beserk..........:)
Reply Quote
http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/chinese_56cd2d_2159939.jpg
also remember , catpcha with cats
20/12/2012 12:17Posted by Megabiv
A bot wouldn't take note of that warning where as a human would. Plus what's wrong with a little 10 minute break?

yea . i'm sure everyone who plays videogames follow that logic of "every hour take a break"
Edited by TaishanFujun#2395 on 20/12/2012 12:21 GMT
Reply Quote
Community
20/12/2012 12:09Posted by Damir

If CAPTCHA means no boters the then im fine with it even there is every 30 minutes some checkpoint.

Yep, I know many would not mind this at all (chosing the lesser evil and all that), but there are people who would be very annoyed by a CAPTCHA system like the one suggested here.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]