Diablo® III

Does the Archon beam crit?

I didn't think it did, but I've been noticing as I get into higher MP's that the hp of a high hp mob will spike down periodically. I always thought that archon beams don't crit, but just take your character sheet dps averaged over the time you hold the beam on something.

Anyone else notice this, or has this been a known thing for a while now?
Reply Quote
it does, just not show yellow numbers.
Reply Quote
It's hard to tell with the storm armour because that DOES crit for @300k with the thunder rune and my LS Skorn, so really hard to tell if the yellow numbers are that or Archon.

I must agree about the HP spikes, so suggest Saulius is correct that it does but no yellow numbers...
Reply Quote
wired, you can change rune and you wont see any yellow numbers (make sure you haven't familiar too)
also there was old topics about this "problem", same "no yellow numbers" apply to all beam type skills such as disintegrade, ray of frost as i know.
Reply Quote
The damage of the archon beam are summed up and shown in a ticking way, no crit numbers, but yes it crits, if I take a look at the ticking numbers it showes all between 150k to 400k< for me. The same thing with the disentegrate abillity.

Sorry for any wrong spellings, english isn't my native language :)
Edited by Fphonex#2137 on 13/12/2012 22:03 GMT
Reply Quote
Yes it crits but the game displays time based averages for damage for all channeling spells, therefore you don't specifically see the critical hits, but you can tell they are there because of the discrepency in the time based average numbers being displayed on your screen
Reply Quote
Yes it crits and works well with LS and LOH.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Yes it does crit and sometimes they show up in yellow :)
Reply Quote
Excellent, I knew RoF could crit because I have a hat and neck with added CC, so it was logical that Archon and other chanelled spells would too.

I understand about the time based data, therefore not showing individual crits for those skills, thanks for the clarification.
Reply Quote
The damage of the archon beam are summed up and shown in a ticking way, no crit numbers, but yes it crits, if I take a look at the ticking numbers it showes all between 150k to 400k< for me. The same thing with the disentegrate abillity.

I also toke a look about numbers and I'll link 2 pics for all of you also. At first pic you can see me using archon with damage range from 150k->1M. Therefore it's safe to say that archon crits.

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/823/archoncrit.jpg

About disintegrate, it's not same as archon. Disintegrate actually shows yellow numbers also. In this pic I am using chaos nexus rune and 3 little beams crits.

From this disintegrate pic you can also see how great LS is if you ever doubted it. There is 8,6k tic fading away and 7K new tic on top. I've got more that 10K tic with disintegrate on single target so these aren't even that great. With archon it can bee as big as there is room in pool.

http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/3838/disintegcrit.jpg
Edited by Retsnam#2458 on 17/12/2012 06:39 GMT
Reply Quote
I don't show non-crit numbers, and I promise you that it does crit, another way you can see this is that sometimes you see CD reduction bumps on your AoE ability in Archon. I wonder however, does Storm armor and familiar also proc CM?
Reply Quote
no they dont
Reply Quote
It does crit, but it is like the Barbarian skill Rend, which is a bleed. It does crit but the numbers for some reason stay white, turn them on to verify, then turn them off and enjoy :)

O and did you guys know that +Disintegrate dmg actually adds to Archon Beam? Was testing some totally unrelated CDR things and came across the numbers and sure enough, the more +Disintegrate you have, the more dmg the beam does.
Reply Quote
Nice necro. And bonus damage to "Disintegrate" does absolutely not buff Archon's "Disintegration Wave". Different skill.
Reply Quote
I had the same issue with RoF. It crits but doesnt show. APoC is a good marker to show you it crits. When I have my APoC helm on I can blast away almost all day, without it I do get blips from my offhand APoCing.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]