Diablo® III

Pro Barb now Tuning CM / SNS Wizard - Critique Please?

Hi to all my Wizard pals. And Merry Christmas!

Especially those of you who have taken time and care on this wonderful wizard build and comments / guides on the forum. I have followed the 'mid to end game' guides and managed 2.74 AS and 52% CC and 200% CD. This is unbuffed and without follower.

For ubers with the energy armour and prismatic rune, I'm @ 800 resis and 7k armour and have thus far done group MP8 ubers with NO issues, am sure MP9 or 10 will be ok too with the safe passage runed TP.

It took @ 500m and a LOT of time and tweaking, discarding items almost as soon as I bought em lol, as though I play all characters, my main is barb and I had been Archon wizard with LS Skorn @ 200k dps before committing to AS fuelled mayhem that is SNS farm mode at @ 6 x the sheet dps!

Here is my current WIZARD profile -

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Wired-2524/hero/8685621

I'd very much appreciate any tips or advice on further tuning / tweaking / gearing advice please...

Thanks in advance, all comments are welcome and eagerly anticipated. I use this build in SNS for farming MP3-4 and with prismatic energy armour for higher MP keys / ubers, with same gear set though...
Reply Quote
First and foremmost I've played SNS since its discovery and followed it every patch (nerf). I can with great accuracy tell you that SNS never will be even close to as efficient as the Archon farming spec. Most of us SNS wizards have a few items to convert the SNS gear to Archon farm spec. This way you can farm with aprox 200kdps, 24% mov spd at mp 4 and melt everything in half a sec meaning that you clear the content as fast as every lower mplv but have the greatest bouns possible!

The SNS build is purely for ubers and something that most ppl forgets: FUN XD! It's also one of if not the best ways to play in party at high mpl which is very fun and even more it you feel gutsy and switch prismatic armor for storm armor with the shocking aspect rune. With that you have zero bonus to defensive stats but your dps will be way off the charts, I've reached 2mildps easily with only 90k paperdoll dps!

Other than that I strongly recommend to switch teleport for time bubble with either the +20% dmg rune or the +10% IAS one (I tend to use the IAS one). Remember that IAS is the thingie that makes the shocking aspect rune soo !@#$ing IMBA.

Edit:
Never use any other armor rune than: prismatic armor, pinpoint barrier or shocking aspect.
Edited by Salkin#2832 on 24/12/2012 21:50 GMT
Reply Quote
24/12/2012 21:22Posted by Salkin
Never use any other armor rune than: prismatic armor, pinpoint barrier or shocking aspect.

Agreed. I use SA for farming (great dps only as no zero procs of LoH or CM sadly) or prismatic for MP7-10 extra tankiness.

The bubble I use for MP6-7 ubers is the 20% added damage one as my APS of 2.74 won't reach 3.01 with just another 10% AS as I'm sure you know, so I've read this is not so effective.

For farming I love to TP right into the pack and start nuking, this is the 'FUN' you refer too and I LOVE it - has made the game interesting to me as barb farm had done my head in lol.

And yes, the CC/CD 200k LS Skorn Archon build was so effective and simple, maybe I will return to it, though I had to redo my whole gear set for AS so I guess dps will be lower now. Anyways I'm still having too much fun TPing around and nuking whole screens full of mobs for the moment hehe.

Any tips on gear regarding upgrade priority for me please?
Reply Quote
24/12/2012 22:11Posted by Wired
The bubble I use for MP6-7 ubers is the 20% added damage one as my APS of 2.74 won't reach 3.01 with just another 10% AS as I'm sure you know, so I've read this is not so effective.

The reson why extra 10% IAS is still good is that it increases the maximum number of twisters on the field at the same time. Every twister lasts for 6 seconds and with lets say 3 APS you will have 18 twisters out on the field. This means that even if more IAS will not provide more ticks per second per twister or even a whole twister extra it most certainly will give you an extra partial twister in terms of having one twister extra for 1-5 seconds. This results in more crits per second which means more survivability and more explosive stacks :)

24/12/2012 22:11Posted by Wired
And yes, the CC/CD 200k LS Skorn Archon build was so effective and simple, maybe I will return to it, though I had to redo my whole gear set for AS so I guess dps will be lower now. Anyways I'm still having too much fun TPing around and nuking whole screens full of mobs for the moment hehe.

You don't have to change your whole gear to achieve archon farming spec, I know I don't need to XD. You will need a wand with LL, socket and 90+ cd and about 800 dps. One cheap cd ammy and 18 APoC and you're good to go with 170kdps twister refreshing archon spec :)

Also: Skorn Archon is a steaming pile of !@#$. It refreshes slow as hell and makes your archon clumpsy and hard to "stutter beam" as I like to call it which steals time from you devaluating it as a farming build.
Reply Quote
24/12/2012 22:28Posted by Salkin
Also: Skorn Archon is a steaming pile of !@#$. It refreshes slow as hell and makes your archon clumpsy and hard to "stutter beam" as I like to call it which steals time from you devaluating it as a farming build.

Yes, I used reduction gear to disintegrate with the wide beam to compensate. I always play for fun over speed / efficiency and being cheap as intel / LS Skorns are - it was a fast (ish) way to farm at reasonable dps as blood magic could be swapped to force dps rune as well as disintegrate being unlimited with reduction SoJ / neck etc...
Reply Quote
24/12/2012 22:28Posted by Salkin
You don't have to change your whole gear to achieve archon farming spec, I know I don't need to XD. You will need a wand with LL, socket and 90+ cd and about 800 dps. One cheap cd ammy and 18 APoC and you're good to go with 170kdps twister refreshing archon spec :)

Not necessarily wand, and not necessarily that high CD. Just use dps calc to see what gives more. Hint: stats (int/vit of course) are usually undervalued compared to CD. Especially because your CD from amulet will balance out your usual lack of CD in SNS gear. On the other hand, very high weapon dps skyrocket its price (cause it's easier to search), while 900 dps 60-70 CD socketed weapon will do the same dps as 1100 socketed. Especially if it's faster than mace (wand rocks, yeah).

No need in 18 APoC, actually. Archon can be played without any APoC at all. If done right, you do not refresh it, just cancel/rebuff once every 4 minutes. If you aren't sure about your archon sustaining, 5-8 APoC is enough for ET+mistral breeze (and DS+prism, if you will). Or just use living lightning. It's not as fast as ET+WW, but hey, it's a matter of a couple of seconds at the cost of items versatility.

You'll want a helm with socket for farming paragon, like tal or similar rare.

When buying weapon for archon, consider buying triumvirate - they are very cheap these days, and I don't know what can outdps it. In that case, weapon obviously must have black damage.

P.S. Wired, do you really need these 5 APoC on source? Otherwise you can boost dps a lot by just upgrading it to higher damage one - which are also not that expensive these days without APoC.
Reply Quote
24/12/2012 23:12Posted by Ghost
P.S. Wired, do you really need these 5 APoC on source? Otherwise you can boost dps a lot by just upgrading it to higher damage one - which are also not that expensive these days without APoC.

Hmmm, the guides say 20 APoC would be enough, I'll have a look into this - I was using an Andy's helm for the AS, hence needing the APoC on the source, but now the Storm Crow has it, perhaps I should look at off hand again.

Thanks, these and Salkin's comments were the sort I was hoping for - I didn't even know that non APoC sources were any cheaper! hehe
Reply Quote
No need in 18 APoC, actually. Archon can be played without any APoC at all. If done right, you do not refresh it, just cancel/rebuff once every 4 minutes.

Some runs starts with elites too early (or too high density of them) so that Archon will not be sustained at all. APoC is purely for efficiency and will always be the most efficient refresher and I have always seen Archon as purely farming spec so I would actually never consider higher damage than 200kdps and loose APoC, never!

Archon as a "fun" spec is far from way of thougths and I see that massive damage is "fun" to play with but you will either need bil of gold to have enought negation and LL in order to deal with reflect damage. As for my farm spec I have 170kdps I can heal against reflect damage which is good for I have 70% of all mobs with RD.

Not necessarily wand, and not necessarily that high CD. Just use dps calc to see what gives more. Hint: stats (int/vit of course) are usually undervalued compared to CD.

The wand I use for my Archon farm was according to me way undervalued because I have never seen a weapon giving me more dps from calc: It costed me 5 mil and has: 777dps, 2.8LL,socket, 78cd and 172 int (omg). It's a perfect wand for a SNS wizard to achieve archon farming spec.
Reply Quote
25/12/2012 09:57Posted by Salkin
Some runs starts with elites too early (or too high density of them) so that Archon will not be sustained at all. APoC is purely for efficiency and will always be the most efficient refresher and I have always seen Archon as purely farming spec so I would actually never consider higher damage than 200kdps and loose APoC, never!

Just started the run, 3 (sic!) elite packs at start (I start from tower of cursed and immediately go into arreat crater 2). After dealing with them got 49 seconds of archon duration, because there is almost always a pack of spiders. CM2, 245K buff dps. For CM1 you need 150K to do the same, it's easy to achieve. After that - all run in archon.

The wand I use for my Archon farm was according to me way undervalued because I have never seen a weapon giving me more dps from calc: It costed me 5 mil and has: 777dps, 2.8LL,socket, 78cd and 172 int (omg). It's a perfect wand for a SNS wizard to achieve archon farming spec.

For a long time I couldn't find an upgrade for a dagger (currently on my barb as offhand). It's 650 DPS (pre-1.04 drop), but stats are simply insane. When I changed it to 890 DPS axe with lower int/vit, I got big dps boost, though it costed tens of millions. As for your weapon - yes, it's all archon needs, but I guess you can get more dps now with similar stats for about the same 5 mil. Still, I'd use triumvirate and black damage weapon because triumvirate gives 15-18% damage increase for weapon (not sure about damage coming from source).
Reply Quote

See profile for new shiny one.

Added 5k dps and 5k life too !

Thanks for the tip, though I will say on full SNS build it was slightly noticeable that I didn't quite have as much AP on smaller packs / single targets. Not an issue though.

EDIT - I also managed to upgrade my int/vit Lacunis to more intel and AS and CC, whislt still retaining @50k life so it was a great move overall to get the vit on the source.

In just 2 purchases totalling below 100m, I added @ 10% extra DPS. I noticed this added dps on reflect packs too though I'm nearly 1400 LoH, I did have to ease off a touch on RD buggers!

Merry Christmas!
Edited by Wired#2524 on 25/12/2012 12:17 GMT
Reply Quote
24/12/2012 21:22Posted by Salkin

I found power of the storm rune useful for combining cm freeze + meteor spam making the result a little smoother (basically meteor instead of ex-blast). I know -3 cost is near nothing on its own, but when added with other cost reductions it starts to make a difference if you want a cm-freeze with a good ranged option.
Reply Quote
26/12/2012 05:49Posted by Khazul
I found power of the storm rune useful for combining cm freeze + meteor spam making the result a little smoother (basically meteor instead of ex-blast). I know -3 cost is near nothing on its own, but when added with other cost reductions it starts to make a difference if you want a cm-freeze with a good ranged option.

Hi Khazul - seems weird seeing you post in a non barb forum! hehe.

Just thought I'd mention that prism rune on diamond skin can be VERY helpful in a meteor build s it's -7 AP.
Reply Quote

Edit:

Hmm, I always tend to use the "Force Armor" run with ubers or high mp CM runs.
Always a good thing you won't get one shotted if you don't have your diamond skin up ....
Reply Quote
26/12/2012 13:23Posted by Wired
Hi Khazul - seems weird seeing you post in a non barb forum! hehe.

My wiz was my second char after dh and before barb. I sold off the (at the time decently geared) dh and wiz during 1.0.4 to focus on decently gearing up and levelling my barb. On the way to plvl 100 I found enough decent drops to requip all my other characters to being able to faceroll mp0 and a few AH purchases later (to plug a few gaps left by poor drops) they are now all all semi-decent again, so Im playing my wiz and dh alot now, keeping the barb for occasionaly legendary runs and mp10 uber bashing :)

26/12/2012 13:23Posted by Wired
Just thought I'd mention that prism rune on diamond skin can be VERY helpful in a meteor build s it's -7 AP.

Yes true, my wiz doesnt quite feel solid enough to go all out with this yet, so I am preferring crystal shell for now until I can get the aps up a bit more, add more resists/life/armor, maybe eventually get a good tal rasha (they aint worth touching IMHO until you can afford a really good on).
Reply Quote
Exscuse my ignorance, but what is SNS spec? First time i'm reading about this, and sounds interesting:)
Reply Quote
26/12/2012 16:04Posted by Glordi
Exscuse my ignorance, but what is SNS spec? First time i'm reading about this, and sounds interesting:)

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#V.TXYh!Wgb!Y.cccc
mouse2 skill optional: slow time/teleport/meteor/magic weapon+blood magic/electrify or something else
Reply Quote
26/12/2012 16:04Posted by Glordi

The skillset is, as Saulius posted:
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#V.TXYh!Wgb!Y.cccc
mouse2 skill optional: slow time/teleport/meteor/magic weapon+blood magic/electrify or something else

The SNS is an abbreviation of Snocknadoshards, which somes from Storm Armor - Shocking Aspects, Tornadoes (Wicked wind) and Diamond Shards.
There is also another a version called Shocknado or SN, which is like SNS but with Crystal Shell on Diamond skin instead of Diamond shards.

The reason this is very popular is because - with the right gear - you can multiply your "sheet" dps by close to 9 times.
Edited by Niko#2983 on 26/12/2012 18:13 GMT
Reply Quote
Ah cool. I might give it a try, but i'll assume its good for farming up too about MP6-7, maybe 8. Seeing as using Storm Armour for me at MP 10 will just get me killed tbh, loose to much all ress. I've tired Diamond Shard before, but it was months ago, now i normally run Archon or CM. This might make it a bit more fun again. Stuck at P90 and honestly struggling to find the will to play at the moment, althought the game is honestly a lot off fun.
Reply Quote
Ah cool. I might give it a try, but i'll assume its good for farming up too about MP6-7, maybe 8. Seeing as using Storm Armour for me at MP 10 will just get me killed tbh, loose to much all ress. I've tired Diamond Shard before, but it was months ago, now i normally run Archon or CM. This might make it a bit more fun again. Stuck at P90 and honestly struggling to find the will to play at the moment, althought the game is honestly a lot off fun.

SN and SNS wizards stack alot of armor and resist so we can survive high monsterpowers. You can see my gear that I try to get armor and resist on most pieces, and on my Vile Wards for example, I look for +Strength to get even more armor.
Reply Quote
Yeah, your right, you have more than double my armour, so that probably does make a difference. I'll have to have a better look at this set up, looks fun after face melting throught MP8 last night. Might have to swop a few bits out and loose some dps, but sure it would be worth it tbh.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]