Diablo® III

Trading: Safety Tips and Scam Policy

Community
We’re still seeing threads about players who have lost items through trade scams. To make sure that as many people are aware and cautious of this as possible, I want to re-post this info from our Knowledge Center (below).

Essentially, the easiest thing to remember is this: Do not drop items on the ground, for whatever reason your trading partner gives.

With Diablo III, our goal is to provide players the means to effectively protect themselves from scams. Customer Support will not be able to intervene in cases where one player takes advantage of another. Because of this, it is up to every player to be aware of the systems in Diablo III that will protect them and exercise good judgment when trading with others in-game.

Ninja Looting
Each player will see their own unique loot when a monster is killed in Diablo III. Because loot is not shared by all players, it is not possible for one player to steal loot from another. In order for an item to be visible for all players, it will need to be dropped on the ground from a hero’s inventory.

Trade Scams
Item and gold trades in Diablo III are handled through a secure trade window. Before a trade is completed, both players will need to click Approve. Because trades require the consent of both players, it is up to those players to make absolutely sure that the trade is correct before clicking the approve button.

Tips to Avoid Becoming a Victim

Never give your items to anyone you do not trust
In Diablo III, you should never hand your items to an unknown player for any reason. Artisans handle such things as item enhancement and crafting, so there is no need to pass an item for another player for crafting.

Only trade securely
The Auction House and secure trade window provide ways to safely trade with other players in Diablo III. Avoid trades that are not conducted through these systems, as both provide ways for players to clearly see the items and amount of gold that will be traded.

Do not drop items
When an item is dropped from your inventory, it becomes available for all players in the game to pick up. If an item is dropped and lost, Customer Support will not be able to intervene.

Buyer beware
Many scammers will attempt to scam other players through the auction houses. Be careful with the items you decide to purchase and always confirm the cost of the item before bidding or purchasing. In player to player transactions, confirm the item you are trading before accepting the trade.
Reply Quote
Fighting against scams is fighting against human nature.
However i think bilzzard should change the policy and ban scammers if video is provided with clear evidence.
Reply Quote
What about scamers?
what can be done against then? nothing?
Blizzard will let pplz who are new to game
get scamed over and over again
by same ppl?
what do you thing they will get impresion about the company and
how do you "protect them"?
Reply Quote
Community
What about scamers?
what can be done against then? nothing?
Blizzard will let pplz who are new to game
get scamed over and over again
by same ppl?
what do you thing they will get impresion about the company and
how do you "protect them"?

I'm hoping that by posting this in the trade forum, we can spread awareness a little further, as clearly people are still being caught out by the old "Drop it on the ground please" trick. Unfortunately, dropping items on the ground means anyone can pick it up. Doing it from a distance won't always save you either.
Reply Quote
hmmm what about those infamous trade scammer, does reporting help?

for example :

elemeNt#2689(still quite keen in doing this, look at his activities)
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/elemeNt-2689/hero/15869355
http://www.d3blacklist.com/archives/709

or
aZumiK#2632
http://www.d3blacklist.com/archives/517
Edited by Morrigan#1758 on 08/01/2013 14:01 GMT
Reply Quote
What about SC<>HC gold trading ?

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6297731406

Why no gold buy/sell for real money on HC?
Edited by Tor0#2444 on 08/01/2013 14:07 GMT
Reply Quote
08/01/2013 13:41Posted by Takralus
Artisans handle such things as item enhancement and crafting

...enhancement??? What does that mean? Crafting higher level gems?
Reply Quote
Community
08/01/2013 14:00Posted by Morrigan
hmmm what about those infamous trade scammer, does reporting help?

As mentioned in the policy, unfortunately we can't take action against players who have picked up dropped items.

Having said that, I would always advise anyone looking to trade an item in-game to do their homework and check up on the person they're hoping to do business with first.
Reply Quote
08/01/2013 14:15Posted by Takralus
Having said that, I would always advise anyone looking to trade an item in-game to do their homework and check up on the person they're hoping to do business with first.

You mean this? http://www.d3blacklist.com
You expect us to rely on inspecting everyone instead of fixing the trade window which is supposed to be on an invite basis not automatically popping up?
I'll be sure to ask their real names too and look it up in the police data base.

I read sometime ago that your policy as a company is to not make someone public if they are caught botting or hacking, and now I see that it's okay to check on third party sites on players, I am really dissapointed in what has blizzard as a company become.
Edited by b00gyman#2427 on 08/01/2013 14:29 GMT
Reply Quote
<snip>

Please don't post abusive messages. Scammers aren't cool, but try to stay civil when discussing things here ~ Takralus
Edited by Takralus on 08/01/2013 14:47 GMT
Reply Quote
Community
08/01/2013 14:24Posted by b00gyman
You expect us to rely on inspecting everyone instead of fixing the trade window which is supposed to be on an invite basis not automatically popping up?

No, not at all. Regardless of any checks you make, you can protect yourself from being scammed by simply not dropping the item you want to trade...

08/01/2013 14:24Posted by b00gyman
I read sometime ago that your policy as a company is to not make someone public if they are caught botting or hacking, and now I see that it's okay to check on third party sites on players, I am really dissapointed in what has blizzard as a company become.

We ask people to avoid naming and shaming here on the official forums because it could be used as a way to harass someone, or spread false rumors. I can already see one or two questionable claims on the site you linked, which is the exact reason we don't allow it here.
Reply Quote
Maybe an ingame message to all ppl in the game, stating never to drop items on ground you dont want to loose for any reason + giveaway. And a message to all new players.

Its a bit like admitting there is a problem, I can see that but it might help to make ppl aware since not everyone comes to the forum before its too late.
Edited by Encore#2369 on 08/01/2013 14:56 GMT
Reply Quote
Fighting against scams is fighting against human nature.
However i think bilzzard should change the policy and ban scammers if video is provided with clear evidence.

It's not in my nature to scam people.. I don't want to steal from anyone, and I don't have more than 2 million gold, so I'm not rich.
Reply Quote
08/01/2013 14:45Posted by Takralus
No, not at all. Regardless of any checks you make, you can protect yourself from being scammed by simply not dropping the item you want to trade...

I once dropped an item because I thought the game deveolepers from a respected company was able enough to patch any of the exploits remaining in the game after 7 months from launch, seems I was very wrong. The scammer didn't succeed but it is not good to know that any new player that doesn't know about this can anytime be scammed.
Yes dropping items on the ground is bad, especially when you can't pick it up right away and you don't know it.

Ok, then it's ok to try to scam people, or at least try it because hey... what are the consequences? NONE!

We ask people to avoid naming and shaming here on the official forums because it could be used as a way to harass someone, or spread false rumors. I can already see one or two questionable claims on the site you linked, which is the exact reason we don't allow it here.

I agree there might be some false positives, but what if there is proof?
Edited by b00gyman#2427 on 08/01/2013 15:38 GMT
Reply Quote
Ingame trading is not safe.

Someone tried to scam me today, glad I googled their battletag, happy there are sites dedicated to preventing these scammers from continuing.

I do not feel Blizzard is doing any effort to remove ingame scammers from the community.
Reply Quote
hmmm but what if someone is using 3rd party software(suspected) and a bug to achieve scamming, could it be reported properly?

For example I met this guy in channel right now, agreed on a deal. He open the trade window, showing 3 gems in 1 stack. Then I asked him to trade the gem one by one. Apparently he refused to do that and left.

I thought this bug was fixed few months ago but here it comes back again. I suspected but without evidence that he's using 3rd party software or mal-using game bug. Could this kind of issue be reported properly, or, proper to report ?

well before seeing your reply I'll not report his full tag, but just showing link to his archive for you to judge.
http://www.d3blacklist.com/archives/755#comment-289
Reply Quote
I am sorry Takralus, but you are wrong about one thing: there is not such this as item enhancement in this game, it was cut along with 3rd artisan (I strongly believe it was Karyna) and still isn't implemented. We can clearly see spot for her cart in a2 for example.

As for whole scamming thing, it will always exist, but since D3 is now permanently online game you guys should have absolute control over what happens in players inventory. I understand you wont be able to go to every player and manually delete item because he/she scammed it, but for now this perma-online game gives us only trouble and absolutely no advantage.
Reply Quote
08/01/2013 16:20Posted by Revan
I am sorry Takralus, but you are wrong about one thing: there is not such this as item enhancement in this game, it was cut along with 3rd artisan (I strongly believe it was Karyna)

It's the Mystic, Myriam Jahzia. One of the many fun things removed after beta.
Reply Quote

Assuming that it is d3blacklist.com that you are refererring to:
There is a thin line between educating the trading community about players who scam frequently and falsely accusing someone of being a scammer. While I understand that Blizzard will not allow naming and shaming on the forums for obvious reasons, I don't think that a wild west situation where scamming can only be rewarded (as there are no consequences, notorious scammers may continue as they please) is desirable.

We offer a platform for players to discuss possible scammers. Being on the list itself does make a player accused at least once by a fellow player, but does certainly not legitimate the claim that this person is a scammer. legitimation of such claims is produced by evidence, comments, ratings, and such.

We’re still seeing threads about players who have lost items through trade scams. To make sure that as many people are aware and cautious of this as possible, I want to re-post this info from our Knowledge Center (below).

Essentially, the easiest thing to remember is this: Do not drop items on the ground, for whatever reason your trading partner gives.

Based on the many reports on our website, we have compiled a list of the most commonly applied scamming methods, as well as effective ways to prevent getting scammed.
If interested, you may find it here:
http://www.d3blacklist.com/compendium

Perhaps a helpful addition to this thread is the following summary of signs of suspicious behaviour:
  • Repeatedly closing and opening the diablo III trade window (in an attempt to make you drop the item you intend to drop in the trade window);
  • Notifying you of a missing ‘0’ that is not missing (in an attempt to keep you occupied while other player changes the offered goods to something similar);
  • Trade windows that ‘are not working’;
  • Trading in games not exclusive to the two of you (in multiplayer games, you can get kicked at any time if the others are buddies!);
  • Trading unidentified items (there are several methods out there to gage an unidentified item’s properties before identification).
  • Edited by GrimmjowFAS#2672 on 08/01/2013 20:15 GMT
    Reply Quote
    Seriously.

Stop being so freakingly retarded, and don't drop items on the floor. Ever. For any reason.

Morons.
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]