Diablo® III

Marquise Emerald = 110 Critical Damage??

(Locked)

Why craft this gem for 3 radiant star and plus 20m gold for get more 10 critical damage, my barb will give more 1.9k damage for 80 million gold?

This is like buy a ferrari to drive and buy bread to breakfast at morning, is useless.

I forgot too 5m just to unsocket the gem, where the sense of gameplay that is test itens.

The sense of basic math was lost.
some players have billions, don't count their money ;)
You don't have enough crit chance to greatly benefit from it.

People with a ton of money will buy/make it for the extra damage for sure.
diablo is all about PERFECTING your gear. people would even pay more than that. dont see a problem
some bots have billions, don't count their money ;)

Fixed it for you.
The game is catering for them, not us.
16/01/2013 15:10Posted by Moof
some bots have billions, don't count their money ;)

Fixed it for you.
The game is catering for them, not us.

not only bots, just need play alot, or watch AH alot to make some gold :) everything achievable, of course not so fast like a bots, but still possible.
Not all items are for everyone, or at least not meant to be aquired in a playing session or two :) From my own experience a big part of the Diablo games has always been about pushing your gear to perfection.

Blizzard quote:

"In addition to new items, we're also adding a new tier of gems for those who really want to push their character farther."
Edited by Alsaron#2639 on 16/01/2013 16:37 GMT
i will for sure get 2 for my swords. Thats 20 more critdmg.
For chest, pants etc - not worth it unless you got awesome gear and tons of gold :)
Of course it is not worth it if you have bad gear.

If you have 10 billion worth of gear, 10 crit damage for 80 million is very cheap. It is always relative.
For me 10cd more for 80 mill is very cheap, it would give mé 8k more dmg unbuffed.

So 8k more dmg for 80mill? Let me get 13 upgrades like that please
3 Gnome Warlock
also they will be account bound? why???
Allow me to put The Marquis into perspective.

At this moment, the best gem in the game is a Radiant Star. If you want to make on in the game, you need 729 Flawless Squares (the best gem possible to find in the game) and you will have to click on the "create gem" [243+81+27+9+3+1] 364 times. For the new gem, you need 3 Radian Stars, so that will require 2187 Flawless Squares and eventually 1093 clicks. If you can click once per second, this will take you 18½ minutes to create. So you have to sit for 18½ minutes and do nothing but click, click, click, click, click...

This is however only a minor flaw with The Marquis.

The major flaw is the price. Currently a Radiant Star Emerald costs 34.6 million gold (lets say 35 million), so a Marquis will cost 125 million gold; Amethyst and Topaz will cost 80-85 million, Ruby 105 million.

The first reason for this flaw is that the average player has an income of 250,000 gold per hour. That means, he would have to save up for 500 hours to afford 1 Marquis. As the average player plays 1-2 hours a day, he would have to save for 6 months. And unless you buy the gems on AH, you can farm for a long time. I get around 20 Flawless Squares per hour, and if even distributed, that is 5 emerald or ruby per hour. So that is about 400 hours, or if you play 1-2 hours a day between half and an entire year.

To build upon this, you have 3 gems in chest, 1 gem in head, 2 gems in pants, 1-2 in weapon, some have 1 in boots, ring, amulet. So Players have from 5-7 in average, and if you want 6 Marquis, then it will cost you 500-750 million gold, and that is the income of the average player over 3-4 years.

The second major flaw is that it for 80-125 million gold will provide +4 Prime Stat. That is for most players around 0.125% dps, so if you spend 1 billion you would gain 1% dps. If you spend 1 billion on a weapon, you will most likely gain 8-10% dps. If you spend 1 billion versus 200 million on, lets say an amulet, most would gain around 8-10% dps. The jump from 100 million to 1 billion represents aprx 8-10% dps, but with The Marquis only 1%. So only those who can afford to spend 1 billion on gems just to "improve their chars as much as possible" would buy it.

The third flaw is the 5 million unsocket price. A Radiant Star costs 6660 gold to unsocket, A Marquis 5 million. Why???????

Let us assume an average player finds a super weapon, sells it for 200 million, buys a weapon he can use and a Marquis, then a week later finds a better weapon for himself. Should he wait 6 months to save up so he can unsocket his gem? Allow me to say DUH

The Marquis demonstrates that Blizzard has lost all touch with the game, because gems no longer scale with gear / cost as it did in June, because income now is so reduced and stunted, that only the top 2% can afford to use it in weapons and that only the riches 1% can spend 1 billion without bothering.

So instead of cheering like the oblivious fanboyz you are, you should question why Blizzard would give you a gem, only 1-2% of players ever would use.
Cottonface - the stats you provide are 100% correct and also a good reason to have this gem.

If you find it to be too expensive dont buy it. Simple as that. I played diablo 2 ~9 years, long time in tours and ligas and I never used a 415% botd, i used 409% until i stumbled upon a 413% one that i never upgraded since the 415% was itemlaming looking good in chat and didnt bring me enough in in-game duels to justify the price (which was roughly 10x more than my 413% one).

Also - if your income is based on what you find during your runs and what it sells for in AH you should learn to trade (there are other options than flipping items by doing 1d 12h buys then instaresell them you know...)

+ the game needs some serious gold sinks and this new gem thing provides just that.
16/01/2013 19:22Posted by Jointit
if your income is based on what you find during your runs and what it sells for in AH you should learn to trade

For someone with that many elite kills, I would expect that you had more intelligence.

My estimates of average income is based on how much you make during an average run, picking up gold and items to sell at vendor. Picking up gold and vendoring items is the major source of income for the average player.
16/01/2013 19:14Posted by Cottonface
The third flaw is the 5 million unsocket price. A Radiant Star costs 6660 gold to unsocket, A Marquis 5 million. Why???????

WTF??????????????????????????

I have 5 characters - have you any idea how much it will cost to switch characters if I were to craft my current 9 radiant star emeralds into 3 - I often will do a couplke o0f runs on my dh, another on my wiz, switch to barb for an uber run, back to dh for some farming etc...

Each switch would cost 5 or 10 million - screw that!

This seems like yet another case of blizzard giving normal players finger as usual and catering only for the richest wallet warriors / botters / ah flippers etc - as who the hell else can afford to switch gems around at 5m per unsocket?

I would have been happy to reduce my crit gems down to 3 and pay a reasonable next incremental cost (12k or whatever) to unsocket them etc, but 5m? Thats just blizzard taking the piss - as allways.
Edited by Khazul#2940 on 16/01/2013 19:42 GMT
This gem is the most stupid thing in the entire game xD You get +10 CD on weapon and +4 stat on other gear, for 20m and 3 radiant star emeralds and 5m for unsocket? Why would anyone want that gem? At the beginning I thought that marquise gems will be a combination of two other gem, giving them two stats (e.g. str + vit) or would have some other bonus stat. But now, I just don't get it, can someone enlighten me pls, what are Blizz thinking?

you know why already, that top % are either sitting on goldmines or have really big wallets, and Bliz wants their cut. Theyre basically saying 'hey you with the infinite budget and nothing left to upgrade, I want some more money from you'.
Why would anyone want that gem? Because it's the best. To rephrase that, because I don't think you understand, it's better than flawless squares. It's also better than radiant squares. It's also better than perfect squares. It's also better than stars. It's also better than flawless stars. It's also better than radiant stars. It's also better than perfect stars. For DW barbs, two marquises mean another 20% crit damage. Some will be able to afford it. The rest will farm for it.

You only have a limited amount of slots which upgrade your character. This is an opportunity for players to maximize their damage. Those who can afford it, will. If it turns out that some ring or amulet or whatever allows players to maximize their damage more efficiently (at a lower cost) then the players will generally tend to buy that item instead. This would cause a drop in demand and a resultant drop in prices. If, however, these gems are the best available option, then they will command the best prices. It's very simple, really.

I think your argument is that you don't think that, for your character, the relatively small increase in stats (+4, or +10% crit, or whatever the gem gives) is a significant increase given the expected price. You, as a consumer, should therefore exercise your right to choose what you spend your gold/money on. If enough consumers think like you do, again, demand will drop, and also the price. However, I don't see this happening.

Also, the 5M unsocket cost seems to me like a pretty effective gold sink. I don't see how often you'd want to unsocket the gem, so I don't think that this is really going to matter too much.

Also, in Cottonface's devil's advocate scenario, where an average player somehow finds that 200M drop and uses the marquise gem, and then finds ANOTHER! BETTER! weapon the same week (how often will that happen?) we've got to remember that this formerly average player is now no longer average. He or She now has the ability to farm at a much more efficient rate, and having found two 200 million plus weapons in one week, I don't foresee finding the 5 million needed to unsocket the gem being much of an issue anymore.
Edited by Raskolnikov#1940 on 16/01/2013 20:41 GMT
yes...makes no sence to buy a ferrari to drive and eat bread...I mean who would eat bread...
Why would anyone want that gem? Because it's the best. To rephrase that, because I don't think you understand, it's better than flawless squares. It's also better than radiant squares. It's also better than perfect squares. It's also better than stars. It's also better than flawless stars. It's also better than radiant stars. It's also better than perfect stars. For DW barbs, two marquises mean another 20% crit damage. Some will be able to afford it. The rest will farm for it.

You only have a limited amount of slots which upgrade your character. This is an opportunity for players to maximize their damage. Those who can afford it, will. If it turns out that some ring or amulet or whatever allows players to maximize their damage more efficiently (at a lower cost) then the players will generally tend to buy that item instead. This would cause a drop in demand and a resultant drop in prices. If, however, these gems are the best available option, then they will command the best prices. It's very simple, really.

I think your argument is that you don't think that, for your character, the relatively small increase in stats (+4, or +10% crit, or whatever the gem gives) is a significant increase given the expected price. You, as a consumer, should therefore exercise your right to choose what you spend your gold/money on. If enough consumers think like you do, again, demand will drop, and also the price. However, I don't see this happening.

Also, the 5M unsocket cost seems to me like a pretty effective gold sink. I don't see how often you'd want to unsocket the gem, so I don't think that this is really going to matter too much.

Also, in Cottonface's devil's advocate scenario, where an average player somehow finds that 200M drop and uses the marquise gem, and then finds ANOTHER! BETTER! weapon the same week (how often will that happen?) we've got to remember that this formerly average player is now no longer average. He or She now has the ability to farm at a much more efficient rate, and having found two 200 million plus weapons in one week, I don't foresee finding the 5 million needed to unsocket the gem being much of an issue anymore.

Lol, ok then xD I was just saying the increase from radiant star is not worth it, for me. If you like it though, by all means, buy it xD
This thread is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]