Diablo® III

1.0.7 Request - Allow Invisible Dye of Legendaries

Good morning,

I was wondering if we could drum up some commentary and a push for Blizzard to implement a change for the upcoming patch. If not the upcoming patch, then the near future.

I think it goes without saying that the visual element of the character is important to some people. It's a part of the game.

I'd like to kindly request Blizzard make a change to the game which would allow dying of legendary items. At a minimum, allow items to be dyed invisible.

This will increase character diversity and add a little more fun.

It will also help players who want to use certain legendaries that can look quite hideous with other gear combinations. Vile Ward looks cool on a Barbarian but only with other certain gear combinations. Of course this is my opinion but I believe that many players share my sentiments on this example as well, and would likely have many other scenarios/examples to add.

I would appreciate an official blue response on this. I am not aware of a blue comment on this topic as of yet, and even if there was one, I'd appreciate an updated blue response on this topic.

I'd invite players to post their support below via +1 and/or post some examples (or even pictures) to support. Have some fun with it and please keep it clean.

Thank you,
estay
Reply Quote
No! We need DYES, not only invisible ones. But from what i remember "it cannot be done". Invisible dye on a chest piece or pants for example will look really really weird. But for helms it would work i guess.

WE WANT TO DYE OUR LEGENDARIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply Quote
We need them indeed.. I mean look at inna pants or ice climbers.. Ugly as f... Come on Blizz guys push this little thing in!
Reply Quote
yea would be great to use them....
when i see my DH with that mempo on the head hajajajjjaaaj..........
Reply Quote
This is something that Blizzard is already working on.
Reply Quote
Totally agree, I made a post about it ealier but only some of the "live in a basement" forum trolls read it and commented.

++

Also noone uses Low lvl legendaries for more than 30 min when they lvl, only leorics signet. why the hell not make them drop as lvl 60-63 items some of them look pretty cool. The same goes for a lot of the current 60-63 legendaries. Make them usable, please!!!!! how hard is it to do really. Throw away all the worst of the fixed attributtes and give the items a chance to be as awesome as the best gear in the game. Instead of the current game where everyone has andariels visage or a mempo

You could even go as far as to let all the low lvl skins drop as lvl 60-63. Lots of cool design never really seen, also a simple fix. Would make everyone look more unique, at least before you upgrade to all legendary/set.
Edited by Encore#2369 on 13/01/2013 20:25 GMT
Reply Quote
+1
Reply Quote
Yeah, I need to make my Mempo invisible. ASAP. It looks...terrible.
Reply Quote
13/01/2013 17:38Posted by Consider
This is something that Blizzard is already working on.

sick

+1 to the idea from me.

Another idea Id really like is Legendary Dyes. No, not dyes that work on legendaries, dyes that match legendaries. An Immortal Kings Dye so that I can dye my pants to match my IK armour, a Tal Rasha Dye that will match the purple etc, even a zunni dye with that awful texture/shader if you must (actually its alright in some cases).
Reply Quote
14/01/2013 01:07Posted by Snorkle
An Immortal Kings Dye

Already in the game for collectors edition owners,,
Reply Quote
What about costume slots? To change the appearance of your gear? And this will come in handy in future PvPs (if there would be any) to hide your gear. Ofcourse people should be able to hide their profiles too.

Oh wait, there won't be a pvp realm...
Reply Quote
14/01/2013 01:10Posted by Encore

Though Bottled Smoke suits to Immortal Kings Set it is still a little bit lighter:

Immortal King is overall anthracite, Bottled Smoke goes merely into a light grey, thus not being exactly the same dye.

I made a screenshot for you, with my Barbarian wearing IK with Souvereign Tassests:

http://s1.directupload.net/images/130114/2bekfscs.png
Reply Quote
look like the same overall color to me, fits perfectly
Reply Quote
I think there is a technical problem with the dye system and legendaries. I do not think they can selectivly allow invisible dye while disabling the others.
Reply Quote
14/01/2013 03:19Posted by Kal

Though Bottled Smoke suits to Immortal Kings Set it is still a little bit lighter:

Immortal King is overall anthracite, Bottled Smoke goes merely into a light grey, thus not being exactly the same dye.

I made a screenshot for you, with my Barbarian wearing IK with Souvereign Tassests:

http://s1.directupload.net/images/130114/2bekfscs.png

cheers, yeah I read about bottled smoke in the run up to release. Doesnt look the same to me, abyssal dye is probably as close as that in the other direction. Id like it dead on colour match, its all in the way it picks up the light etc, what matches in 1 colour of light looks vastly different in another because of how flat and saturated theyve made all the colours (which im not against). Not just for IK either, for all the sets.
Reply Quote
14/01/2013 04:20Posted by DrSuperGood
I think there is a technical problem with the dye system and legendaries. I do not think they can selectivly allow invisible dye while disabling the others.

you never know, might be easier. All invisible dye is doing is switching off a variable somewhere in the shader that tells it not to draw the model in game. For these rares that we can dye, its only parts of the armour that change colour, I don't know how they are doing it but if I had to guess there might be a blended layer on top of the texture that can be given say a hex colour number and is then cropped by some sort of alpha layer hidden in the texture so it only applies to parts of the skin. If that is the case then all the rare textures will have that layer already in them, where as the legendaries wont, so they would have to go through every texture for every model on every class and gender working out what areas can be dyed then creating new layers in the textures to crop off that section etc, rework all the shaders to take into account the blend function, it could be a big deal, might have to pull a texture artist off the expansion for a week to go through it all.
Reply Quote
I just have some thoughts on a Eye dropper Dye which works like the eye dropper tool used in MS Paint.
Reply Quote
+1
Reply Quote
Agreed +1
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]