Diablo® III

1.0.7 Request - Allow Invisible Dye of Legendaries

21/01/2013 13:25Posted by Peilo
But the question is who decided to handle legandary's textures in a different way to rare textures? Thats the part I called "bad design".

You could call it "bad design", but there wouldn't be a problem if nobody cared about coloring the legandary items. I think it's impossible for Blizzard to oversee every wish from the communicy. I think we should be glad that they acknowledge this problem and give us feedback why this is not a simple update.
Reply Quote
Posted by Peilo
But the question is who decided to handle legandary's textures in a different way to rare textures? Thats the part I called "bad design".

Just one of the silly things Blizzard are restricting you.
Reply Quote
while your now are doing changes anyway could you take and delet the frostburn gauntlet out of the game while your at it its an annoying drop all the time when a legendary finaly drop it is the gauntlet of no use delet it thnx
Reply Quote
Stop QQing, vanishing dye was requested as most important dye. I am sure, they will also introduce the other dyes in an upcoming patch.

Tho Diablo 3 has so many static stuff implemented that i gotta give myself a facepalm everytime when something new static is being revealed...

As a software developer i can say this: "there you have it Blizz, if you would've taken some more time during development, you wouldn't have to invest so much time now"

inb4 hardcoded values and so on are fun...

Also
21/01/2013 15:03Posted by xbladex
while your now are doing changes anyway could you take and delet the frostburn gauntlet out of the game while your at it its an annoying drop all the time when a legendary finaly drop it is the gauntlet of no use delet it thnx

my Sides!
________________________________________________________________________________
Acronyms and their meaning: http://us.battle.net/d3/en-us/forum/topic/7004698754
The new way of making every Legendary viable: http://us.battle.net/d3/en-us/forum/topic/7199033719
Idea: White/Blue Items and Crafting Fix: http://us.battle.net/d3/en-us/forum/topic/7167576791
Monk Build: The Dual Wielded Lawn Mower: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7415641623
Monk: Runes and Passives Idea: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7593582720
Reply Quote
Can't wait for this. Now every single hi end barb looks exactly the same !!!!
Reply Quote

As a software developer i can say this: "there you have it Blizz, if you would've taken some more time during development, you wouldn't have to invest so much time now"

Yap!
Edited by Peilo#1734 on 21/01/2013 17:44 GMT
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
Omg, game needs CPR better put some make up on first.
Reply Quote
+1
Reply Quote
nice. i like my legendaries' looks but i could enjoy dyeing my head maybe. cheers! nice change, hopefully not too much work. :)
Reply Quote
21/01/2013 12:57Posted by Vaneras
wow. vanishing dyes on legandaries? after, ... hmm after 8month. That is quite a proof of bad game design if you are not able to implement the possibility of disabling a texture.

As with most things related to game development, it is always much faster to talk about changes than it is to implement them.

The Vanishing dye for legendaries has been the most frequently requested dye for legendaries by far, and this is maybe why people tend to overlook that we actually also need to make the other dyes work as well. It is not simply a matter of just disabling textures, in fact all the textures on all legendaries will have to be redone so that dyes will work on them... this is a massive and rather time consuming task as you can maybe imagine.

Honestly, and? I see far too many of these Blue posts that chalk up their tardiness and sluggish updates to 'game development takes time!' Even when responding to concerns addressing purely cosmetic changes, you still throw out 'it takes time!!' and people seem to accept it. To me, it seems the only thing that takes time are the corporate hoops you have to jump through, and instead of just outright saying that it's because Blizz is now a corporation instead of a dev, you haphazardly state stuff takes time.

There's been a limited amount of cosmetic/visual updates on this game since launch, despite a massive amounts of concern. Since you stated that these things take time, I went through the league of legends patch history since Diablo 3's release, and picked out only cosmetic-related improvements (not Skin additions as this would be biased in terms of their microtransaction businessmodels.)

Summoner's Rift graphics update
Ashe model update and art update
Art overhaul for several champions
Art overhaul for Ashe, Cassiopeia, Ezreal, Kassadin and Mordekaiser.
Model and art update for Katarina.
New splash art for Miss Fortune, Morgana and Tryndamere
Added new particles to wards.
Updated lore and graphics for Soraka
3v3 Twisted Treeline Complete Remake
New Splash art for Brand, LeBlanc, Master Yi and Mordekaiser.
Nidalee visual update.

Along with 12 entirely new champions developed within this timeframe, with their own skins, artwork, etc. Yes, the businessmodel they're adopting caters more to a frequent update routine, but even if that was the incentive, it's evident from the results that is enough for them to push out way more content way faster than you guys.

And this is done in a free-to-play game by a company with less resources and that's far less established. When stuff like this is being done by competitors, I just get annoyed when a company like Blizzard throws out patches with marginal change after marginal/trivial change, and then justify it by saying 'game development takes time.'

I know it's far more work than I realize, it's just that, everyone else is doing it, except better, more and faster, so, I dunno what else to think than that Blizzard has become the tortoise of devs.
Reply Quote
Hooray! This will surely give me some incentive to play :)

Now we just need a character customization system (body, hair and stuff) and we're all fine and dandy ^^
Reply Quote
22/01/2013 00:01Posted by BERSERKER

As with most things related to game development, it is always much faster to talk about changes than it is to implement them.

The Vanishing dye for legendaries has been the most frequently requested dye for legendaries by far, and this is maybe why people tend to overlook that we actually also need to make the other dyes work as well. It is not simply a matter of just disabling textures, in fact all the textures on all legendaries will have to be redone so that dyes will work on them... this is a massive and rather time consuming task as you can maybe imagine.

Honestly, and? I see far too many of these Blue posts that chalk up their tardiness and sluggish updates to 'game development takes time!' Even when responding to concerns addressing purely cosmetic changes, you still throw out 'it takes time!!' and people seem to accept it. To me, it seems the only thing that takes time are the corporate hoops you have to jump through, and instead of just outright saying that it's because Blizz is now a corporation instead of a dev, you haphazardly state stuff takes time.

There's been a limited amount of cosmetic/visual updates on this game since launch, despite a massive amounts of concern. Since you stated that these things take time, I went through the league of legends patch history since Diablo 3's release, and picked out only cosmetic-related improvements (not Skin additions as this would be biased in terms of their microtransaction businessmodels.)

Summoner's Rift graphics update
Ashe model update and art update
Art overhaul for several champions
Art overhaul for Ashe, Cassiopeia, Ezreal, Kassadin and Mordekaiser.
Model and art update for Katarina.
New splash art for Miss Fortune, Morgana and Tryndamere
Added new particles to wards.
Updated lore and graphics for Soraka
3v3 Twisted Treeline Complete Remake
New Splash art for Brand, LeBlanc, Master Yi and Mordekaiser.
Nidalee visual update.

Along with 12 entirely new champions developed within this timeframe, with their own skins, artwork, etc. Yes, the businessmodel they're adopting caters more to a frequent update routine, but even if that was the incentive, it's evident from the results that is enough for them to push out way more content way faster than you guys.

And this is done in a free-to-play game by a company with less resources and that's far less established. When stuff like this is being done by competitors, I just get annoyed when a company like Blizzard throws out patches with marginal change after marginal/trivial change, and then justify it by saying 'game development takes time.'

I know it's far more work than I realize, it's just that, everyone else is doing it, except better, more and faster, so, I dunno what else to think than that Blizzard has become the tortoise of devs.

Actually free-to-play games make 5-10 % more money than any avarage MMORPG + it seems LoL will earn Riot way more money that WoW for Blizz in a long run, ofc it's due to fact that WoW, slowly but still, is a dying game and LoL is getting better and better ( and bigger ).

As for D3, it's a totally different business model than LoL, so expecting updates is just silly, but maybe you should read a little (?) It's not about small fixes every now and then being possible, it's about key differences.

Not that I don't agree that Blizzard has changed over the years... however I think IF they will go down, it's gonna be only because of their attitude towards the community not because of HOW and WHEN they fix their games.

Also, Riot dev team is/should grow bigger, while Blizzard might cut their loses. What they did since launch almost completely destroyed their previous image and, since I'm a business psychologist, you can trust me when I tell you that it takes triple the effort to rebuild it.

Anyhow, even though I'm disappointed, D3 is a GOOD game. Only good, but good enough.
Reply Quote
Thank you this is good news.. soon my characters face's won't look like a piece of crap
Reply Quote
+1
Reply Quote
21/01/2013 12:16Posted by Vaneras
This is something that Blizzard is already working on.

Indeed it is :-)

We are trying to get Vanishing Dyes for Legendary items ready for patch 1.0.7. In fact, this may be added to an upcoming PTR build if all goes well, so keep an eye out for that.

"upcoming"? You mean "soon" or just mean "next".
Reply Quote
Community
22/01/2013 05:40Posted by maximusy

Indeed it is :-)

We are trying to get Vanishing Dyes for Legendary items ready for patch 1.0.7. In fact, this may be added to an upcoming PTR build if all goes well, so keep an eye out for that.

"upcoming"? You mean "soon" or just mean "next".

I cannot say for certain that it will be in the next PTR build, or even the one after that... although we work hard to get it ready for patch 1.0.7, there is still a small chance that it might not be ready in time, in which case it will be pushed for a later patch.
Reply Quote
Community
I just don't get this....

Changing the skin color of your armor won't make this game any better you know...

/sigh

Whether dyes for legendaries makes this game any better or not is clearly in the eye of the beholder... I totally know that this is not a big deal for everyone, but it means a lot for those people who put emphasis into customising their characters :-)
Reply Quote
Blizzard is a massive company and If you ever looked at the credits for Diablo there are a LOT of people involved in it's creation. You have to think of it like an assembly line if team A & B haven't finished their end of the work then team C (Being the art team) can't start modeling/texturing until team A has finished the concept work, so team C in the mean time will do what they can in while the guys finish up. It's not just 1.0.7, but 1.1 an expansion and however many other things going on at once over there. Chaos is a part of any job, things go awry priorities get shifted.

It's better to make a point or suggestion without having an attitude because who likes responding to snarky comments day in and out?

This is the reason why the community managers politely ask to keep things civalin constructive threads.
Reply Quote
Dyes are one requirement that speaks to customisation! A must have in any game of this day and age! D3 has limited customisation! Period.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]