Diablo® III

1.0.8 - Heavily Increased Monster Density in Acts 1,2,4

Hello Blizzard!

I would like to be able to play the whole game, and not just the last third of Act 3 for thousands upon thousands of hours. Allowing Nephalem Valor to persist through acts is already a great start, and I look forward to being able to do a tiny bit of Act 4 after killing Azmodan.

However, it would be really nice if I could start the day at the very beginning of Act 1, and work my way all the way up to Diablo, without feeling like I have been farming inefficiently. Ideally, starting with Inferno A1 Q1, every quest in the game will have you fighting champion packs, and the monster density will be incredibly high.

This would be a huge step in the right direction, to make playing the game for hours be more enjoyable, and less of a chore.

TL:DR - Increased monster density in Acts 1, 2, and 4 will make the game more fun.
Reply Quote
+1

has to be optional because not everyone likes dense mobs. Wve been throwing around the idea of a 1 to 10 scale like monster power, on reflection I think thats a bit much, no need, just have 2 settings, standard and some sort of onslaught setting where mobs are just maxed everywhere.

As for moving around, I think really I want to be able to wayshrine through the entire game up to the quest I am on, back and forth at my own discretion. I dont mind having longer load times jumping between acts, just let me hit an alk run and then keep going through zoltans archives and on to the cathedral and the halls of agony with fat monster density the whole way.
Reply Quote
I think most of us would love to see this, and in time we will, most likely. Here's a blizzard quote on the subject:

"Unfortunately increased monster density in Act 1 and 2 in Inferno difficulty did not make patch 1.0.7. It is absolutely something we would like to improve, and it is still on the list for the future. I spend most of personal play time in Act 3 as well: Keeps 1, Core, Tower, Bridge, Fields. It's a matter of degrees, it'll never all be balanced 100% equal in all zones everywhere you go - but they need to be comparable within a certain tolerance, and we're definitely outside that margin right now."
Edited by Alsaron#2639 on 18/01/2013 20:23 GMT
Reply Quote
18/01/2013 19:17Posted by Harrogath
I would like to be able to play the whole game

What's stopping you? You do not have to constantly play the "ultimate" farming route. Only one forcing you to do that is yourself.

From what I've picked up from the forum, the "best" place to farm is somewhere in Act 3?
How can people farm Act 3? Seriously, that was the worst and most boring acts of them all.
Reply Quote
I think maybe as an alternative for waypointing around, a mechanic that might be better is to have the game unlock when you kill Diablo on inferno. Then by talking to the little man you can travel back and forth between acts. Also, the boss monsters become like the mobs, they will all be in their pits going back through the acts, as long as you enter the area they will be alive and respawn every new game the way the other creatures respawn, rather than being locked into the mission structure. I can understand why it works that way for single player progression through the story of the game but for endgame farming its just not as fun, a restriction where really there need be none.
Reply Quote
18/01/2013 20:58Posted by Yhihi

What's stopping you? You do not have to constantly play the "ultimate" farming route. Only one forcing you to do that is yourself.

From what I've picked up from the forum, the "best" place to farm is somewhere in Act 3?
How can people farm Act 3? Seriously, that was the worst and most boring acts of them all.

because you start walking away with 10 to 15 legendaries a day + 3x more gold and xp than you were getting before.
Reply Quote
18/01/2013 21:06Posted by Snorkle
because you start walking away with 10 to 15 legendaries a day + 3x more gold and xp than you were getting before.

Even if I'd get a Unique item on each kill, I'd never farm Act 3. That act is just sooo boring.
Reply Quote

Even if I'd get a Unique item on each kill, I'd never farm Act 3. That act is just sooo boring.

Too be honest, you havent played Diablo 3 enough to even comment on this matter :p I'm not trying to be rude, but you havent even cleared Inferno yet. If you find Act 3 booring...I bet you are really boored in Act 2 and Act 1, where you walk around and find a mob every 5-10 second.
While in Act 3, there are horde of mobs everywhere that makes you feel like "Gawd nobs get owned"

Too be honest, you saying "Even if i'd get a unique item on each kill, I'd never farm Act 3."
Kind of feels like you're acting like a kid. No matter what Act 3 beats any other acts in everything.

But oh well, maybe you're standard is just lower then most of the players, and you enjoy staying in Act 1, Act 2, and 4.

Btw too be honest while looking at you're profile, you havent even cleared Act 2. So i cant understand how you find farming Act 3 booring, when you haven't even tried it out yet.

Have fun farming.

On Topic: I support this 100% , Constantly farming the same act's makes you boored alot easier. Sure they don't have to be as good as act 3, but atleast somewhat close to it.
Edited by Sully#2414 on 18/01/2013 22:37 GMT
Reply Quote
Too be honest, you havent played Diablo 3 enough to even comment on this matter :p I'm not trying to be rude, but you havent even cleared Inferno yet. If you find Act 3 booring...I bet you are really boored in Act 2 and Act 1, where you walk around and find a mob every 5-10 second.
While in Act 3, there are horde of mobs everywhere that makes you feel like "Gawd nobs get owned"

Too be honest, you saying "Even if i'd get a unique item on each kill, I'd never farm Act 3."
Kind of feels like you're acting like a kid. No matter what Act 3 beats any other acts in everything.

But oh well, maybe you're standard is just lower then most of the players, and you enjoy staying in Act 1, Act 2, and 4.

Btw too be honest while looking at you're profile, you havent even cleared Act 2. So i cant understand how you find farming Act 3 booring, when you haven't even tried it out yet.

I haven't played D3 since .. eh.. +/- 1 month after release. So no, I haven't farmed any of the acts.

I still find Act 3 to be the most boring acts of them all, before i played Act 3 in D3 I thought Act 3 in D2 was tiresome!

And no, even if I did farm actively i would not farm Act 3 again and again, i just loathe it too much to ever do that.

My standard is lower than other players because i prefer fun over legendaries plagued with horrible itemization? Ok.
Reply Quote
Too be honest,
Too be honest,
Btw too be honest

This guy's honest ;)
Edited by Curoch#2460 on 18/01/2013 23:40 GMT
Reply Quote
18/01/2013 23:39Posted by Curoch
This guy's honest ;)

Well, honesty is the best policy. Or that's what they say, at least.
Reply Quote

Not that I'm against this idea but this is also true.
Actually thats how I play this game,I don't care about all this statistic best routes and all that 'never did a single Alkaizer run'.
I just play for fun and do long Act runs in random acts depending on my mood.

Farming the same Act over and over would drive me crazy I think,I had enough of Andy/Meph/Baal and Cs runs back in D2 and I don't feel like to do that again.. 'not to mention the endless pit/tunnel runs'
Edited by MrGatto#2877 on 18/01/2013 23:52 GMT
Reply Quote
I want to do the other acts; it would really make it feel more like time well spent. However, I would argue that you would get roughly 4 times more gold and legendaries by only doing the end of Act 3, given the high density.

There's not much enjoyment. The farming run is between 15 and 30 minutes, which makes it extremely repetitive. If monster density throughout the game was even, then a farming run would be a good couple of hours, and although that would eventually become boring too, it would be fifty times more enjoyable!
Reply Quote
I want to do the other acts; it would really make it feel more like time well spent. However, I would argue that you would get roughly 4 times more gold and legendaries by only doing the end of Act 3, given the high density.

There's not much enjoyment. The farming run is between 15 and 30 minutes, which makes it extremely repetitive. If monster density throughout the game was even, then a farming run would be a good couple of hours, and although that would eventually become boring too, it would be fifty times more enjoyable!

yep

Yhihi you have to understand the sort of speeds and quantity of slaughter we are dealing with. A DH guy I know farms act 3 with me, we play an extended Alk run and were killing maybe 80% of act 3 in 25 minutes or so. Its only when you do it you realise ok, doing these runs theres rarely a moment where there isnt a monster on my screen, and in fact the vast majority of the run is spent with upwards of 10, 20, 30 creatures on screen being obliterated. Were not even great Demon Hunters, mid tier at best.

Demon Hunters use Vengeance to gain hatred + disc from health globes, barbs gain fury from crits through Into The Fray, wizards in Archon get their timer ticked back every time they kill, WDs gain mana from globes... the more they kill the more resources they generate to kill even more, new builds become viable that feed of death and become this rolling wave of destruction, suddenly youre smashing through 15 monsters in a second without breaking step, and you need to in order to maintain this sort of assault.

Then you go back to act 1 where you are too resource starved to use these crazy builds, run down an empty corridor, find 3 dudes praying, they get killed, walk through an empty room, down another empty corridor and youre thinking 'if this was act 3 Id have killed 2 elite packs and 60 monsters in the time Ive just spent spamming move speed skills looking for a fight'. Don't get me wrong I do it, but I shouldnt have to do it because Im bored of act 3, I should be able to do it because its fun and rewarding, its just not, high carnage builds arnt as viable, you waste a ton of resources sprinting/valuting between fights. Blizzard said it themselves many times, Diablo is at its best when you are smashing hordes of critters.

Its not for everyone, I hated act 3 as well, Im just saying when you get to 12k elite kills and you are wondering why you arnt that guy whos picking up a million gold a day and listing 10 auctions for 5 to 60 million gold each, why people on youtube are using these insane builds to hammer down foes that seem like a different game to the one youre playing youll check it out. Then 4 weeks later youll have 25k elite kills and 150kdps.
Edited by Snorkle#2373 on 19/01/2013 02:04 GMT
Reply Quote
19/01/2013 02:03Posted by Snorkle
Its not for everyone, I hated act 3 as well, Im just saying when you get to 12k elite kills and you are wondering why you arnt that guy whos picking up a million gold a day and listing 10 auctions for 5 to 60 million gold each, why people on youtube are using these insane builds to hammer down foes that seem like a different game to the one youre playing youll check it out. Then 4 weeks later youll have 25k elite kills and 150kdps.

Okay. Now i have a broader perspective, since i now know yours.

I'm never going to farm anything in D3, i quit the game almost completely when i hit Inferno.

Then a while later, i bored myself through the first act, and then hit the second.
But it was just boring, everything was one-hit-kills, and it was just not fun.

And since Act 3 is the next act I'll get to, i don't think I'll ever "finish" Inferno.

One thing i find weird is this: With D3 they were gonna remove farming just one place all the time (as in farming bosses), but now people just farm a specific route in Act 3 again and again. Great job Blizzard.

Serious question coming up: Where do you get the motivation to keep farming Inferno (especially when most of you only farm one place again and again)? I pretty much lost all motivation to play the game when i hit Inferno, and the promise of farming items with stats more boring then WoW items (in a hack'n'slash, seriously?) didn't exactly make me squeal with glee.
Reply Quote
Sorry, not happening. Good ideas are ignored because they are better than what they can come up with.
Reply Quote
19/01/2013 02:14Posted by Yhihi

Okay. Now i have a broader perspective, since i now know yours.

I'm never going to farm anything in D3, i quit the game almost completely when i hit Inferno.

Then a while later, i bored myself through the first act, and then hit the second.
But it was just boring, everything was one-hit-kills, and it was just not fun.

And since Act 3 is the next act I'll get to, i don't think I'll ever "finish" Inferno.

One thing i find weird is this: With D3 they were gonna remove farming just one place all the time (as in farming bosses), but now people just farm a specific route in Act 3 again and again. Great job Blizzard.

Serious question coming up: Where do you get the motivation to keep farming Inferno (especially when most of you only farm one place again and again)? I pretty much lost all motivation to play the game when i hit Inferno, and the promise of farming items with stats more boring then WoW items (in a hack'n'slash, seriously?) didn't exactly make me squeal with glee.

fair. Theres monster power now, so you def wont be 1 hitting things if you dont want to, not with 15k damage including ss, sa and archery. See, you say act 3 is next and you probably wont finish inferno, I could start act3 now and have finished inferno in an hour, so its a different game were talking about. My Dh route in act 3 skips 2 waypoints/areas, so its virtually the whole act minus a few caves and dungeons, takes under half an hour. The game can be very fast and furious, its like a scrolling blaster arcade game, when you have gear to make certain builds work it completely changes how you play and the game is a lot more fun imo. I enjoy playing it combat wise like I enjoy an fps, but yeah, act 3 is way old now and the need to sort it.

They know it too, theyre all stuck in act 3 and plan to change it, we just wish they would speed up the process before we have to admit defeat and try out path of exile till the summer. Battlefield 3 is calling me too, Ive not gone there yet but I know if I do I might not come back out for 5 years.
Reply Quote
Path of Exile's maps system is really, really cool.
Reply Quote
I believe persistant NV is planned for a future patch.
Reply Quote
19/01/2013 03:25Posted by Snorkle
Theres monster power now, so you def wont be 1 hitting things if you dont want to, not with 15k damage including ss, sa and archery.

15k dps? I could swear i had more ingame when i last took glimpse of D3.

Anyway, the 1-hit thing was about me dying in one hit, not killing in one hit. When i actually tried to progress in Inferno i pretty much only cared about Dexterity. AKA, glass cannon.

Went fine, apart from monsters attacking me without being visible on the screen. The most deaths i had in Act 1 were from those.. eh.. mini-spider in that cave. They spawn randomly out of cocoons and start (and finish) their attack before I'm actually able to see them. And i got instantly killed by that (lol).

Then i got to Act 2 and avoiding the one-hit-kills from ANY attack became way too annoying.

The only part of /players x (MP) I've tried in D3 is on my Monk. But, meh, the "fluid combat" was just too boring to keep playing long (i played like half an hour). And my Monk is also currently in Act 3. Oh woe is me.

MXL in the early-game when you pretty much just spam AoE abilities feels more engaging than D3's combat for some reason.

Maybe I'm just weird.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]