Diablo® III

1.0.8 - Heavily Increased Monster Density in Acts 1,2,4

I definitely think more mob density would be nice, either as an option like monster power, or simply a few more monster packs in those big empty stretches we currently have. I for one liked the diablo 2 feel, where most everywhere you looked there were monsters all over your screen at first, and you sort of cleared the area little by little, and only the places you had already been would be "safe" to kite back into, but that may just be me >.>
Reply Quote
25/01/2013 09:41Posted by Vaneras
Feel free to post your own thoughts the kind of "mob density options" you would like to have in the game, as such feedback would be helpful to us :-)

Well, its just my opinion, but I dd love to increase mob density of ACT 3 in a first place, and then make all other ACTs equal :)
Reply Quote
Ladies and gentlemen of Blizzard. I can think of three ways to handle monster density. The first two are straight forward, attach a higher monster density to higher monster power levels. The second would be when a party is created the monster density is increase per person in the party up to the maximum party.

The third takes some doing, which would be to increase the monster density by the area of the map being faught on.
Reply Quote
increase mob density of all acts with MP active (MP1-10) roughly equivalent to current A3 mob density.

keep mob density the same as it is now on MP0 for under geared players and first time play throughs.
Reply Quote
What makes act 3 so attractive is the compact nature of it. If you think about it act 3 is just one big line. You spend little time searching for mobs couse you got only one destination - forward.

The other acts are too broad with a lot of "empty spots" and events. That's what makes em a chore of sorts, couse more or less you lose time you would have otherwise spent looting dead elites, compared to act 3 that is.

Events don't get in your way in act 3 and don't take additional space on the map. They kinda flow with the map.

In general - broad maps require more mobs, dungeons require at least one or two more levels, map randomization needs improvement couse there is little to none, events need to give more initiative to complete them.

Also the idea of adjustable monster density (as we can adjust monster power) is good.
Edited by Krystonosetz#2434 on 27/01/2013 22:51 GMT
Reply Quote
In large areas with low density it s nealry impossible to do a big ''massacre'' for a good bonus exp.Increase the density AND the time that is required to do a massacre.
Reply Quote
increase mob density of all acts with MP active (MP1-10) roughly equivalent to current A3 mob density.

keep mob density the same as it is now on MP0 for under geared players and first time play throughs.

+1
Reply Quote
+1
Reply Quote

+1 Devastating hoards of enemies with wave after wave of meteor showers feels seriously badass. A1&A4 feel like a game of hide and seek. Much of A2 feels like a game of tag. tag and hide and seek aren't entirely bad, but they don't feel very diabloish.

Something that could be added on top of this is an increase in mob density with monster power. As you got higher on the MP scale, things would become crazier and crazier to farm. Builds like archon would actually scale a bit better with mp than on current servers, and MP10 could end up feeling really epic(still inefficient due to massive health pools though, which is good). Sadly, this may make ww barbs even more op, but it would make the game much more fun for most builds that I know of. MP10 fields of misery could live up to it's name with the number of trees you would have!
Reply Quote
Feel free to post your own thoughts the kind of "mob density options" you would like to have in the game, as such feedback would be helpful to us :-)

I know you said that there are no real easy fixes previously. But really truly this fix is easy.

If monster density is a hard thing to increase numerically why not do it volumetrically? Instead of making more monsters, just make the monsters that exist bigger!! Much bigger!! If you were fighting huge monsters you would feel like WOW THOSE ARE SOME DENSE MONSTERS and then you would be happy, I think.

Also it's an easy fix because you just go into MS Paint and stretch the drawing of each monster by 500% or maybe 1000% and then put the file back into your game folder, I think.

Maybe you could have it scale with monster power so that monsters are 100% bigger per monster power (50% bigger for MP0)

Anyways I just wanted to share this idea that maybe you haven't thought up yet. Thanks for the game blizzard!!!
Reply Quote
I find A1 to be the nicest looking act and i loved the old skeleton king runs.
Reply Quote
i'm reposting this from my us forums posts:

when you run through 10+ screens without encountering a single monster something is definitely not right, for an action game

• fix number 1: fill the empty areas with monster spawns

• fix number 2: add "monster horde" option right next to monster power
    -each level increases monster density
    scaling could by similar to monster health in monster power:
    L1 - 150% density (so instead of 10 monsters you get 15)
    L10- 3500% density (so instead of 10 monsters you get 350)
    that would be amazing gorefest and bloodbath :)
    -each level could also increase number of elites in one pack

• some ppl want to kill lots of monsters everywhere, others prefer few tough monsters.
    with "monster power" you can control toughness
    now "monster horde" would add ability to control density
    making both groups happy, because they can adjust the game to their preferences :)

a couple of good points have been raised by a fellow players:

The hangup here can't be the monster density modification, but rather their quality control of it's implementation. A SEA OF MONSTERS, while cool, might startle and confuse newcomers, and might overload/tweak something under the hood.

this is easy - unlock/allow "monster density" only in inferno or nightmare+?
    this way newcomers get the original story/design/power/density in normal.
    nightmare and higher difficulties add nothing to normal except difficulty.

why not raise mob density with monster power levels. this would help mitigate people abusing an option to get better loot by making it more difficult to kill the monsters

i'd rather have it separate from mp, the md goal here is to have fun slaughtering hordes of demons, plowing through them with ease, and thats not achievable if its tied to mp.
    game shouldn't feel empty at any point, even casual players want a sea of monsters :)

the problem of more monsters = more drops making higher mp less desirable than higher md is solved very easily:
    -each md level increases monster density
    -each md level decreases loot drop chance in proportion to increased density
    -in the end overall loot drop chance remains same through all md levels

all in all - imagine the area right outside tristram, FILLED shoulder to shoulder with monsters - that would be a huge blast and awesome experience, playing through some insane areas where you would get overrun and steamrolled by demonic hordes, literally :)

i would love sea of monsters like L10 in this mock-up :)
    http://bayimg.com/NAjmIaAea

and this is composite to see the difference between various levels :)
    http://bayimg.com/oajMeAaEA
    Edited by Grave#2119 on 29/01/2013 15:35 GMT
    Reply Quote
    I'd like to see a density in A1 similar to the caverns of aranae, my favorite event is still the jar of souls. I'd like to see more survival and defends events in the expansion/future patches.
    Reply Quote
    30/01/2013 21:27Posted by BlkflameWolf
    I'd like to see a density in A1 similar to the caverns of aranae, my favorite event is still the jar of souls. I'd like to see more survival and defends events in the expansion/future patches

Same I loved that event but for some reason you don't really get more like it. To be honest I'd just like them to keep that event going till I die. As soon as the gates lock just keep increasing the density of mobs and increase the damage and health of them till they become too hard to defeat.
    Reply Quote

I think it could be an easy solution just to count how effective act 3 compared to other acts and then make act 1,2,4 give X times additional experience and mf/gf (over the cap of 300%). So 1 mob of act 4 would be equal to, for example, 1 crowd of act 3 :)
    Reply Quote
    Grave has the best idea, variable settings from 0 (classic density for new players / safe hardcore leveling when gearing up) to whatever number, probably needs to be less than 10x discrete levels as that'd take too long to design, so maybe say Level 0,1,2,3 and make the last one completely insane where the map is choc full of hordes of mobs.
    Can't imagine anything more fun in D3 than smashing thru massive waves of mobs, that's what ARPG is all about!
    Reply Quote
    There are lots of really interesting ideas posted in this thread so far, although some of them are rather complex and maybe not something that would be very feasible for a patch. One should never say never though, so keep posting your wishes and ideas guys :-)

identify all is coming in patch 1.08 :)

That is the plan indeed :-)

Of other things we are hoping to have ready for patch 1.0.8 are:
  • Improved mob density for Acts 1, 2, and 4 so that you do not always feel like you have to farm Act 3 all the time.
  • Multi crafting to make it easier to craft in bulk, i.e. you will be able to specify how many of any given item or gem you wish to craft.
  • AH tooltip compare that will make it easier to compare items in the AH with items you are wearing.
  • We will of course give you more specific information on what exactly will be in the next patch once we get closer to release :-)

Thank you for listening, Blizzard!
    Reply Quote
    +1
    Reply Quote
    Yep, farming a3 over and over again is beginning to suck :)

Act 1, like fields of misery/highlands are awesome places but just put x2 monsters in it or something, but this is is allmost the case for every level in act 1/2

and fix whimsyshire, just make this way overloaded with enemies :) In dia 2 the cow level was so frkn awesome cuz of the hordes of cows, and they didnt run away either if 1 cow got killed. So plz increase the enemies like x3 there (5 packs are fine imo) and make then angry as .... so they will allways run towards you instead of away from you :)

Fields Of Misery feels like you coming to late to a war, the zone feels always empty on monsters.. There should be at least 200 monsters in there :))

Northerend Highlands is good to, but i think "they can delete "Tree monster, they took to much space and animation to long!! Increase the areas with more monster "Like The fallens demons or something elese, maybe add the "Monster from Act3 from D2, you know to small ones with
    blowpipes =)).

Mostly areas in act1 you need to search after monster to kill, that is fail!! if you steep outside shoulde be contrast to your hero, the feeling that you are in war and there alot bad guys out there ;)
    Edited by Mirago#2459 on 06/03/2013 10:43 GMT
    Reply Quote
    Community
    06/03/2013 10:24Posted by Harrogath
    Thank you for listening, Blizzard!

No no no, thank you guys for posting your feedback :-)

Keep in mind though that although we are trying to have the monster density improvements ready for the next patch, there is still a small chance that it may have to be pushed for a later patch. We will of course update you guys as soon as we have more information on this.
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]