Diablo® III

The "Complete" Diablo Fix-list

This is it, the first version of a very comprehensive list i am compiling of ideas for Diablo 3. Very long, very direct, and hopefully true to my mind. UPDATED: Post 4 is all new, and some things have been removed. Some parts will be rewritten later, this is just the first version while i gather inspiration.

General

• Scrap Inferno entirely. Monster power 1 and above will upgrade all hell to be great for farming, similar to how inferno works now. Akin to common sense, Highest MP drops slightly better if you can farm it without many issues, fewer rares and more legendaries, as rares become less attractive the greater your gear anyway. That will prevent flooding of loots.
  • You can now freely use WP’s between acts once again.
  • Remove Nephalem Valor and incorporate the drops into standard drop rates.
  • Bring back titles for completing difficulties, in line with being a defender of the shattered world Sanctuary. This is for shows. The coolest must be Hardcore once again.
  • Identify all Cain / Leah (once you have exorcised Diablo from her body, see story section).
  • Option to disable salvage warning at own risk.
  • Option to lock your gears in place.
  • Most Undead are now completely immune to fear effects.
  • Monsters now have varying resistance to different elements, depending on their kind, however, they are never immune like in D2.
  • A few more stash tabs would be welcome.
  • The Purple Superunique monsters should be a challenge, and they should drop well.

Itemization

• Sockets that roll as a non-property but an implicit item quality must be brought back.
  • Ethereal must be brought back in the same form as sockets above.
  • Plenty of legendaries and sets must drop, and very rarely do we get those top ones. The best top items always have the same variable stats (the rule, with possible exceptions). No random property for example health globe bonus. Lower and more common legendaries may have a few random properties, and if you are extremely lucky with those they may be almost as good as the highest legendaries.
  • Return to older loot tables, this is not wow. When you farm high end content you should find many lower level legendaries as well, as the top end base items are rare to find and legendaries of them are many times fewer compared to more common legendaries you come across.
  • First base item must drop, then rolls for sockets, ethereal, and item quality (rare, legendary etc.) must be made. It makes you feel in touch, able to proportinate how likely you are to find a certain item, chasing the carrot.
  • New gemstones may be implemented. Diamond for example will give your equipment “Indestructable” at top quality. Jewels could be an idea as well.
  • More different gear for different builds, more legendaries and set gear, gear with good looks. It must make you proud to wear it by pure visual presentation.
  • legendaries and sets may use much greater values than a random item can roll of a particular property, striving for balance so that legendaries are nearly always better than rares for many slots.
  • Enhanced defense as a percentage value should be added again with a strong value of up to a couple hundred percent.
  • A high percentage (up to several hundred), of enhanced weapon damage should be the main important property on weapons instead of Lightning damage or similar.
  • Enhanced damage percentage may be a good stat to add to some legendary and set gear, to provide alternative gearing choices rather than what can be found on rares.
  • Elemental damage should be a property for caster weapons, increase lightning damage by X percentage, or a small added value onto your physical attacks which does not scale with the weapon damage percentage of abilities. It is simply an extra touch when your weapon impacts the enemy. It is a mediocre stat for physical damage chars.
  • Overall critical hit chance for runes, abilities and item properties could be reduced along with critical hit damage.
  • Bring back elemental penetration on certain items.
  • Chance to cast on hit is a property i would also like to see returned, simply because it is fun, and very powerful with the right spells.

• PvP

• World PvP is now back. You cannot murder randoms anymore, but you can enable PvP when you create games if you so desire.
  • Slaying another player will make them drop their ear. Consider using an ear as an optional additional reagent when crafting necklaces. Necklace of “Twoshotkilla’s” demise, bane, destruction, and similar. Would make for some hilarious items, and would only affect the item name, and the players who wanted to risk their pride playing PvP enabled games.

• Multiplayer games and social aspects

• Bring back the game lobby with public and custom channels. We can see character models of those in our channel like before.

• Named game listings with certain filters such as pvp enabled, difficulty, and maybe 5-10 letters of search.

• Custom Game Names. Nuff said.

• A Clan interface incorporated within the game. We must be able to join clans and represent them in or under our names. It will also facilitate easier game creation and/or joining with clan members.

• 8 Player multiplayer games returned.

• The mob density and/or density of elite packs can be increased in multiplayer games. Risk is lowered because damage taken is spread over many players; greater mob density makes it more risky again because other packs will be pulled, and it makes it more rewarding to play multiplayer.

• Something that really drives the original ARPG feel of games such as diablo is the risk of others taking your loot. Give items a short delay before others can loot them, but make it very short as not to hinder gameplay, but make sure you have to be active not to lose your loot. It drives the gameplay forward more than you would think. Legendaries and sets give you some 10 seconds to loot them, and common items such as gems and tomes will be lootable by all after 2-3 seconds, for example.

• The above also means drops must be redesigned to be dropped by the monster, depending on number of players etc, like in D2, but being handed out, temporarily, to random players. It means you are now rewarded when you solo kill mobs in multiplayer games while others are slacking. The loot reward for the multiplayer HP increase will be yours to collect if alone.
  • Edited by Nocturnal#2168 on 26/01/2013 11:36 GMT
    Reply Quote
    Characterization and Classical RPG Elements

Why main attribute is mandatory, boring and standard: Because it was required on gear before, but only to the extent that you could equip whatever you desired, now it is mandatory on nearly all items without question as it is too omnipotent.

A major redesign of classes, workings of different stats as well as a complete rebalancing of Diablo is required. Big time. Millions have bought the game, is it too much to ask?

Essentially, all characters are the same in Diablo 3. When you quickly hit 60, your build is done. Your character is done. That’s it. What kept me going and farming was often that I would be working towards greater completion of my character build, where each level gave me another skill point and attributes to spend, and when I got tired of one, I would build another character, then another, and another... Continuous interesting play-throughs is a key element of a dungeon grinder, and unique characters add a lot to that, in addition to making us use a greater amount of the content as we level new unique characters to keep us occupied. I miss building a character, it is all nearly everyone did for so many years in D2, and now there is nothing to build anymore.

• Skill trees or some form of permanent, individually chosen character development should be a part of Diablo. Personally I never found any issues with the skill trees, they were great, and allowed many more builds than you might assume, in addition to variations in skill placement among similar builds. Many abilities have already been created, and that is a good start. It will take a lot of work, and that is as it is. These permanent choices will also mean you will level many new characters, using the content and the lower level uniques that should be dropping even in the highest difficulty level.

• People will make mistakes, and therefore it could be an option to provide one full character respecc for attributes and skill points when you complete the highest difficulty. In addition to that there are other options as to how you can do it. One way is a crafting recipe, with hard to obtain ingredients, similar to Diablo 2, to provide respeccs. Another option could be to recall the skill scrolls and permanent bonus attribute potions from Diablo 1, using them in the opposite way. Books and potions could be quite rare drops, and each would remove a skill point or attribute of your choosing. It would make it somewhat easier to avoid leveling an entirely new character when you acquire better gear and can remove points from strength for example. A good strength score should be similar to in Diablo 2, as it would be impossible to farm several thousand of these potions with attributes as high as they are now. The unlearning books/skills should be a rare drop you are happy to see when it drops, and there should not be enough to satisfy mass usage.

• Attribute points should be distributed personally by the player as you develop your character the way you want it to be. If you want to get that high strength first to wear armor, or if you simply prefer to pump up your vitality fast, then you are free to do it any way you want.

• Each class is a mixture of Strength, Dexterity, Intelligence and Vitality. There is nothing in the world that is extreme except in the mind, and the classes have use of all attributes, each in their own way. I am sure it looked well simple on paper, but you will need to redesign character development entirely to live up to the RPG element of the Diablo legacy.

• Strength should once again be required to equip items. If you are a weak caster or a ranged agile hero, then obviously you will not be wearing the heaviest of armor, unless you build a character specifically in that way, as you will be investing in Intelligence or Dexterity.

• A random thought could be that Intelligence gives you elemental penetration and/or increased elemental damage, with diminishing returns so it is not mandatory to max it, dexterity makes you hit with melee as well as dodge, strength is required to equip gear and will increase physical damage, and vitality will increase your health pool and/or regenetation and/or recovery from things such as stun. The key is to make sure that no stats are always worth stacking as much as possible, so keep their power in check, possibly with diminishing returns. On a side note, Vitality could increase HP by a percentage, and vitality could no longer spawn on items (except +all attributes), and instead you would find +hp that scales with vitality bonus. There are many ways of doing these things, but removing everything and making it a 1% damage increase plus a little surviveablity just seems to be the wrong direction to go in, as we see in Diablo 3 now.

• Resistance works against magical forces. Armor works against physical assaults. They are not the same, and the game loses a lot of stone paper scissor factor by removing the interaction of magic and physical heroes of various kind. Take it back to the basics of RPG’s.
  • Edited by Nocturnal#2168 on 23/01/2013 15:56 GMT
    Reply Quote
    World generation (random?)

• The Random environment generator, oh the random environment generator.. Go to the basement and restart it, please, it has become stuck.

• It feels mostly like some 2-5 versions of most areas layout were created, and upon loading the game you will be faced with one which contains a random amount of dungeons and spawns/events that can spawn in that map. These dungeons again have a few non-random layouts. That is how it feels, and possibly it is how it has been done. This is not random environment generation, it is a random of a few created non-random layouts with a few randomly picked non-randomly created occurrences. Once you have faced each of these occurrences in any of the maps, you have seen it all, and the possibilities and combinations of the spawns can already be imagined by the player. One of Diablo’s previous strengths was actual random generation, some form of generating random layouts with unpredictable outcomes. Till this day I still find things happening in D2 that I never tried before. I understand it may be difficult to address, but it is a major step-back in the series, and I am sure a few people could find a way to deal with this problem if they remain dedicated to it for a long time, specializing in random generation, it will benefit any games to have a greater understanding of random occurrences, and making the system itself generate the content. Very advanced mathematics may be realistically applied if you ally yourself with some university students, of which there are many with love of Diablo.

• Act 4 must be improved. Much greater elite pack density, and make each of the random "dungeons" that spawn, such as radiant chapel, be something you want to enter every time, as they have at least one pack and many mobs inside. A feast for your sword.

• The size of maps on higher difficulties should increase.

• Story, how it can be salvaged in the expansion

• Diablo must be exorcised from Leah’s body, saving Leah to replace Cain. Act 4 cinematic Diablo 2, “Enter Hell”. The Spirit of Diablo will escape, and manifest itself in Hell as you turn to face the wrath of the Angiris Council. Blood pays for blood, and Adria must be sacrificed to bring bring Diablo back, revealing that she was a mere pawn all along, similar to marius.

• Tyrael must redeem the Angiris Council and thereby himself. He will be returned to wings, and he will have one final outstanding cinematic in which he plays a crucial and important non-superficial role. A video for all to drool HARD over, Flood the house bros. Think Odysseus returning home as the poor beggar, only to rise when the time is right. Mix this in with Thor when he grows his armor in avengers. The true form of an “angel”. To sacrifice for humanity and others is to wear the wings and be a watcher. When you exile yourself and leave the divine responsibility you are not sacrificing for humanity by becoming one of them, you are fleeing due to your own guilt and thereby weakness (cannot overcome the challenge).

• The story will culminate in the burning hells with the final confrontation with Diablo in his pure form, after cleansing the Angiris Council. Hell difficulty fighting Diablo in Hell, yes, it all comes together as it was meant to.

• Remove those goofy comments from Diablo and Azmodan during acts, revealing tactics and making them sound tryhardish. They are masterminds of evil, make it felt.

• Graphics

• There is something wrong with the graphics. You placed some filter over everything which blurs it out and strains the eyes in an attempt to focus. I became aware that many were experiencing headaches while playing Diablo 3 but I thought little of it. I also knew that I got tired in my head after playing Diablo for days without stop, unlike other games. Eventually I tried DarkD3, which basically removes some of the filtering and blurring of the game, and I never looked back. I can literally feel my eyes relaxing when I turn it on, and stressing when I disable it again.

• You know we love Gothic dark styles. For example, personally, I’m not feeling Pony level at all. Keep it in mind when you further develop the expansion.

• Many monsters look like generic demons now, update the looks. For example goatmen and fallen look like demons now.

• Diablo is about the gear, and therefore you must make it look very impressive. Great gear should make your character look like a genuine hero or destroyer of demonic legions. Get cracking on the looks, make them droolish. I cannot stress this enough, we lack impressive looking gear more than can be described. It was something I hoped to find in Diablo 3, proper looking gear now that we had modern graphics. My dream is an armor set that looks like Templar’s Mights icon from Diablo 2, and in game it would look like you were wearing Minas Morgul.

• ------------
    I am posting this here because they banned me on US for a month... so now im back to my native EU, with too much on my mind to remain silent as i wait to be unbanned.
    Edited by Nocturnal#2168 on 01/02/2013 13:29 GMT
    Reply Quote
    A change to item rolls and the way Monster Power works

http://i.imgur.com/ZVuKfjY.png

What you are looking at here, is a partly illustration of a suggested change to the way properties are generated in Diablo 3. It illustrates a principle that can be applied to both Crafting and Item drops, and will help solve many issues the way I see it. You are looking at the life steal Suffix list that was released before the game dropped. It may not be entirely up to date, but it demonstrates the principle.

• Instead of chances being completely random, we influence the chances of getting a highly rolled Affix, depending on the level of the monster dropping the item, thereby reducing the amount of items we have to find, in order to get a good one.

Crafting, in particular, needs to be influenced to roll greater items, as there is no point in salvaging some 50 items to create one roll that is about as likely to be good as any rare you can find. The principle may already be in place, but it needs to be further amplified.

• Monster power will now increase the monster level further, and through that, damage and health. MP1 will have level 63 monsters, and each level above will increase monster level by 1, up to 72 at MP10. It will ensure that higher quality items drop in higher monster power, without having to flood the player with items to give them better drops, and still making it possible to get the best items at any MP level.

I have picked some numbers to show you the trend in the table, and you can see that MP10 will yield greater properties on the average item. The numbers are randomly picked to illustrate the principle.

Slightly more advanced reasoning to support the above

It introduces several problems such as armor reduction being dependent on monster level, and when the level goes up its efficiency is decreased. I have looked at the formulas, and the scaling factor appears to be simple. That means reduction in efficiency can be straightforwardly accounted for in damage increases when monster level goes up.

Crafting should be a great reward, it must be better than drops, as it in the first place is limited by your drops. It must feel like the cream on top after collecting items for a while. However, it should not be so lucrative that everyone must pick up every rare and salvage it to optimize their loots. It must have the balance that you pick up those items that you want to ID, and then salvage those, while still not making it worth the hassle to collect everything in order to optimize, yet competitive if some players prefer to play that way.

Personally I’m feeling more like salvaging any legendary should give you a brimstone, regardless of item level, and the brimstone is the limiting factor in crafting potential BiS items, also rares, which would mean that crafting can be made very lucrative when you do have brimstones, by allowing you to boost its rewards without making it mandatory to collect every rare. Quite frankly, I don’t want to salvage 50 rares to craft an item. I just want to kill those mobs and quickly dispose of the items to the vendor. You don’t need to force players to salvage for eternities to make crafting great, as that distracts from Hack ‘n slashing. It appears that this has been accomplished in a way in the 1.0.7 beta, by crafts not requiring fat stacks of materials, i am still gathering data on it, but it looks good.

It is my belief that this suggestion can help increase the quality of item drops, as well as granting the increased rewards for taking on greater challenges in higher MP that the community is awaiting. There must be a reward for progression, so that the game does not get more boring the better your gear is.
    Edited by Nocturnal#2168 on 23/01/2013 16:13 GMT
    Reply Quote
    Please, bump this man (or woman) to death + request sticky.

In the future this game has alot of potential, if Blizzard listen to the right people in the community. Couldn't agree more with everything said, and so many classic RPG elements need to be brought back.
    Making own games, trading face to face, items being used to trade and gold to just be used to by 'extras' (potions etc). Many more ofc.

Threads like this need to be bumped for attention.
    Edited by Zoofiee#2541 on 21/01/2013 12:05 GMT
    Reply Quote
    There is already a game that contains all these stuff you listed. It's called Diablo 2.

I agree with some of your ideas, but I also dissagree with most of them. After all I think what most people wanted from the Diablo series was a new game, with new mechanics, not Diablo 2 with prettier graphics.
    Edited by PaCaTa#2381 on 21/01/2013 12:55 GMT
    Reply Quote
    There is already a game that contains all these stuff you listed. It's called Diablo 2.

I agree with some of your ideas, but I also dissagree with most of them. After all I think what most people wanted from the Diablo series was a new game, with new mechanics, not Diablo 2 with prettier graphics.

This.

I admire the work you've put into this post, but most of the things you want implemented is directly from D2.

Some of them i agree, some of them not so much.

+1 for effort
    Reply Quote
    21/01/2013 12:50Posted by PaCaTa

True.

21/01/2013 12:50Posted by PaCaTa

Not true. We wanted a game based on D2 with an expanding gameplay and additional (not less!) mechanics and ideas. D3 was, is and will be 4214312512 steps in the wrong direction. The game can not be saved anymore, expect rereleasing it in a complete new and a "desired by players" manner.
    Edited by Falb#2688 on 21/01/2013 13:04 GMT
    Reply Quote
    Not true. We wanted a game based on D2 with an expanding gameplay and additional mechanics and ideas. D3 was, is and will be 4214312512 steps in the wrong direction. The game can not be saved anymore, expect rereleasing in a complete new and a "desired by players" manner.

Please tell why you think D3 is going in the wrong direction, and why you think it can't be saved snymore?

It's stupid really, i'm having a good time playing this game (600+ hours), and i think it keeps getting better and better for every patch getting released.

Enlighten me please.

Remember. This is a grinding game. Just like in D2 where you either ran Mephisto/Baal, or cow lvl runs.
    Reply Quote
    24 Dwarf Hunter
    21/01/2013 13:02Posted by Falb

True.

Not true. We wanted a game based on D2 with an expanding gameplay and additional (not less!) mechanics and ideas. D3 was, is and will be 4214312512 steps in the wrong direction. The game can not be saved anymore, expect rereleasing it in a complete new and a "desired by players" manner.

Less mechanics doesn't automatically mean the experience is any less meaningful. Skills are automatically unlocked, but all can be chosen in time. I much prefer the current system than the trial-and-error system of messing up a build half way through D2 after spending points badly.

80% of players used the internet to find optimal builds and copied them. There are less skills overall in D3, but I use more now than I ever did in D2.
    Reply Quote

Please tell why you think D3 is going in the wrong direction, and why you think it can't be saved snymore?

It's stupid really, i'm having a good time playing this game (600+ hours), and i think it keeps getting better and better for every patch getting released.

Enlighten me please.

Remember. This is a grinding game. Just like in D2 where you either ran Mephisto/Baal, or cow lvl runs.

There are tons and even more tons of threads in this forum (including this one), where everything is explained long and intensivly. Just read them. Btw i dont wanna argue about some pixels.
    Edited by Falb#2688 on 21/01/2013 13:13 GMT
    Reply Quote

But we want to play a game that is up to date graphics, good resolutio with battle.net/trading etc. Nobody expected a much different game, what people wanted was more a remake of D2 with extras. Why try and change something that clearly works/worked.

The thing putting me off D2 is the fact there is nobody playing on B.Net anymore (I have played through single player 1000000 times).

Ubisoft took Settlers 2 which was released in 1996, which is a fantastic and classic game - then in 2006 made a 10 year anniversary version. They didn't try and change it, they basically took the original version with modern day graphics with some small changes here and there. I don't understand why Blizzard couldn't do the same.
    Reply Quote
    @Falb

Well you must have a valid reason yourself for saying what you say? :)

Also, you started this debate, by writing what you did.

I don't care about the other threads, i ask about your opinion.
    Edited by Wrannec#2216 on 21/01/2013 13:14 GMT
    Reply Quote
    Disagree, I think the game is great, and the only thing that irks me is the size of the acts. I would like them to be much MUCH bigger.
    Reply Quote
    @Zoofiee

But we want to play a game that is up to date graphics

We got that with D3

battle.net/trading etc.

We got the AH and RMAH

Nobody expected a much different game, what people wanted was more a remake of D2 with extras. Why try and change something that clearly works/worked.

Because D2 didn't work on every aspects. D2 was very boring at release when you hit end-game, simply because there wasn't anything to do. (i doubt there is many D3 players who played D2 at release)

D2 was decent/good at start, but it was first fantastic when the LoD came out.
    Edited by Wrannec#2216 on 21/01/2013 13:17 GMT
    Reply Quote
    People expected an upgrade, the next and improved game to succeed Diablo 2. They were not looking to play a different game.

Simple as that.

EDIT: Do not get into silly conversations about Diablo 2 version 2.0. We are dealing with how to improve and perfect Diablo 3.
    Edited by Nocturnal#2168 on 21/01/2013 13:27 GMT
    Reply Quote
    21/01/2013 13:05Posted by Wrannec
    Remember. This is a grinding game. Just like in D2 where you either ran Mephisto/Baal, or cow lvl runs

You obviously never played D2 or D2LoD. You farmed travi, meph, diablo, count, pits, baal, cows, andy, rares, chests etc etc... Pretty much everything. Only baal runs were ran mostly by bots. Every player that was looking for proper upgrades at start of ladder farmed everything. And tell me what is so different at d3? You run same stupid act 24/7 just to get RNG crap and chance close to 0 so you can make bilions of gold that you WILL take to AH and buy your items. If thats gameplay you like so much then... go go bro knock it out- obviously you are happy with crap you get.

I bought 3 accounst at start of D3 because I thought game was great and on my main account I got around 557 hours played I even was one first people that actually cleared inferno because of SS spam on my DH. D3 has nothing to offer for me atm. That might change in future so I'll keep my eye on it.

But current gameplay is pathetic, grind paragons (pointless) just to get MF cap. They pretty much killed of MF gear and they encourage glass cannon builds more now than when D3 just launched. Even with 0 res monsters on MP0 don't even hurt...

Just my 2cents...

+ I'm playing Tera atm which is amazing ARPG oriented mmo. With alot of gore/gothic/demon/vampire stuff. Even floors are covered completly by blood. Not to mention that hunting monsters actually requires brain instead of just spamming 1 stupid spell w/o even caring to avoid damage as people currently do at D3. :)))

So I don't actually thing there are gonna be major changes to D3 that will actually bring players back because one of core things sucks and that is Build diversity, freaking CoD MW2 has more build diversity than d3...
    Edited by Daddy#2371 on 21/01/2013 13:39 GMT
    Reply Quote
    Im amazed you forgot to mention one of the most crucial and fun things Diablo 3 can have and really bring back people.

LADDER mode

Great thread btw. I agree with most you saying.
    Reply Quote
    @Falb

Well you must have a valid reason yourself for saying what you say? :)

Also, you started this debate, by writing what you did.

I don't care about the other threads, i ask about your opinion.

To be honest, its a very personal thing. As many others (the TS as well I think), I was (and i am) very, very disappointed with the "new" diablo. Anything good, which worked very well for a long time (Battle.net UI, customized game names, 8 players and of course a LADDER mode etc. etc. etc.) wasnt keept, no it was not taken into consideration or simply just ignored. When regarding and thinking about the evolution from Diablo 1 to Diablo 2, then you could have expected something completely different from Diablo 3, as what it is now. Thats how i did. IMHO i think its also a question of the age, and the personal demands of the players. Im quite sure the younger people like D3 a lot, because maybe they played the predeccesor not that intensivly like the "older" ones.
    As mentioned before, i dont wanna argue about pixels. When you like the game, enjoy it! But let us "older" ones whine a bit in our threads while praising the good old times (and games) ;-).
    Edited by Falb#2688 on 21/01/2013 13:38 GMT
    Reply Quote
    I do agree with two points:
    - Map randomization must be improved big time;
    - Some shoulders should look like Minas Morgul;

Strongly disagree with:
    - static affixes on uniquest. Make every item a Goldskin, no thanks! I want randomization;
    - forcing people to relevel just because they want to try another build;
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]