Diablo® III

Post 1.07 patch, did Monk just become strongest?

Reading forums, and playing in game, I always had the feeling that the monk was the most underpowered compared to others. But, going through the patch notes, do you think this has changed finally? Seems like monk got a major boost in just about all of its abilities?
Reply Quote
Let me just explain what i meant with 'underpowered', maybe this wasnt the best choice of words. I meant that there seemed to have been ALOT more effort going into monk builds to get it on par DPS wise compared to other races. Where the others could basically get a good weapon alone and have a major DPS.
Reply Quote
I tried playing the game this morning with my tr build. and i didnt notice annything different to be honest. I thought the damage buff for tempest would make it a lot easier to kill stuff but i dont think thats what happening.
Reply Quote
Monks just got nerfed pretty badly by removing the snapshot everyone uses, so I think if you really feel this way about the monk you were probably not a high level player.
Reply Quote
Chewing, there is different gamestyles how everyone plays.. Also i became a lot stronger than befoure, cuz didn't enjoy snapshot-thing.. I'm happy about update, maybe i'm not the "high level player" then, but thats fine..
Reply Quote
Indeed, I am not a high-level player, hell.. I dont even know what the snapshot thing is.
Reply Quote
well.. depending on attack speed monks most viable build on high mp is actually going receive a small nerf. i will loss 8% dps.

not sure if players on PVR have discovered another build that outshines the current cyclone cookie cutter. they may have..

on low mp monk should now face roll much like a barb due to it spirit spending buffs.

please correct me if i am wrong :)
Reply Quote
@VhailorZ - basically 'snapshotting' is where a Monk has certain equipment when they trigger sweeping wind. The damage that the equipment makes is then retained as long as SW is effective regardless of any gear swaps that the Monk makes.

I never bothered to swap gear around. I do carry a Stone of Jordan with 2.27 spirit regeneration to bring my spirit levels up between engagements but that is all.
Edited by Brusilov#2752 on 13/02/2013 11:07 GMT
Reply Quote
13/02/2013 08:39Posted by Boyke23
I tried playing the game this morning with my tr build. and i didnt notice annything different to be honest. I thought the damage buff for tempest would make it a lot easier to kill stuff but i dont think thats what happening.

To the contrary of this, I have noticed a significant difference for TR. I mostly farm mp 1 and I didn't play the PTR. I have noticed significant gains in farming efficiency over 1 hour. MP 1 is just a complete faceroll for me now so I will endeavor to test mp2-3 this evening.

I have been playing around with the passives and both my SoJ's. (One is TR, the other is WoL - both high end).

WoL actually surpasses TR SoJ now. I use WoL empowered wave (to mitigate spirit cost) and I am seeing crits of just over 1million dmg and due to the area effect, I am also inclined to say that it is now more effective than SSS, so long as you have enough SR - which I do.

13/02/2013 09:46Posted by Chewing
Monks just got nerfed pretty badly by removing the snapshot everyone uses, so I think if you really feel this way about the monk you were probably not a high level player.

Whilst this is nerf, This all depends on what build you play. As a TR monk, I would have to disagree with you because the snapshot removal has been overcome by significantly increasing the dmg of TR, as well as other skills. Example: If you combine the TR buff with the the addition of the off-paper dps 7-8% increase in poison/holy dmg that you get from inna belt+zuni boots, the subsequent gain in dps far exceeds the nerf of SW. Add mantra of convict - Submission into the mix and it increases even further. WoL is now a viable skill to use as well. I am melting through monsters even quicker than I was before.

In terms of "normal" monk play, "everyone" does/did not use the snapshot. Also, define "High end"? Lots of elite kills? Decent gear? Hours played? Combination of it? I manage higher MPs fine without snapshotting in my non-TR gear. Besides, it all depends on how these "High end" players like to play. If it means that it takes an extra 10 seconds to kill an elite, so what? High end players should have the same amount of survivability so then you are delving into the realms of efficiency, in which case, hit lower MP's. In my experience, people play higher MP's either because they want certain drops that are harder to get on lower MP's, or they want a challenge. In which case, they have it even more now.
Reply Quote
I am playing mp7-9 with the standard SW build. I noticed the nerf today. I tried changing Blinding Flash for WoL but was not so pleased. Now I play with Exploading Palm/the flesh is weak and must say it's awesome.
Reply Quote
I haven't played that much, but I have been fooling around with Wave of Light - Empowered Wave, instead of Cyclone Strike.... And it's quite good imo! Looking forward to play around some more.. with different builds.. :)
Reply Quote
Soon all the other classes will be our slaves!
Reply Quote
I dont know about you guys but I am falling in love with Exploding Palm - The flesh is weak at the moment.
50% maximum life explosion with Overawe burst is a beast.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#aVYSgk!!aaccYa is my current build.
Edited by Supertramp#2860 on 13/02/2013 18:10 GMT
Reply Quote
Didn't play much yet, but already had a blast with my cyclone strike build!!!

Reduced cost items bring cyclone strike spirit cost down to 11 per cast. With a slow 2-hander and 13 spirit regeneration, I can spam the skill.

My unbuffed dps is not even 50k atm, but I just started inferno and as for now MP5 solo hasn't been any problem and is not too slow... . This monk costed me only around 7 million!

Might sell my wizard gear to develop this new monk build... .
Edited by Soepkieken#2202 on 13/02/2013 18:51 GMT
Reply Quote
There are definately more viable builds now. Exploding palm and wave of light has become serious damage dealer.
Reply Quote
JonoL> Nice to hear about your 1.07 TR/Bell adventures, I have the same plan, just didn't have had the time to try it out yet. And just got a similar soj as yours for 3.5 mil a couple days ago.. But is DR:foresight still worth the trouble to keep it up after removal of the snapshot?

In general, I don't think the monk has been buffed in total, there are just more viable options than cookie cutter and TR.
Reply Quote
Monk finally got some changes and no, we are by far not stronger than other classes. This means that before 1.0.7 we were dps-wise way below other classes and all that we got was some DPS buffs to 2 skills this time. The bell and the cyclone.

- Gameplay still feels the same old sh*t boring
- If you are lucky, then there are no changes to the build you were using before 1.0.7
- Blinding Flash will be used way less now because you cannot snapshot anymore
Reply Quote
Exploding palm is great, and so it has been for ages. I'm glad more people have gotten their eyes open for the skill though ;)
Reply Quote
JonoL> Nice to hear about your 1.07 TR/Bell adventures, I have the same plan, just didn't have had the time to try it out yet. And just got a similar soj as yours for 3.5 mil a couple days ago.. But is DR:foresight still worth the trouble to keep it up after removal of the snapshot?

In general, I don't think the monk has been buffed in total, there are just more viable options than cookie cutter and TR.

Firstly, congrats on the SoJ find! That is a MASSIVE bargain!!! I really think its only a matter of time before High SR, WoL SoJ's increase in price once more TR monks start using it.

I just use foresight because its what I am used to. Probably better off going FoT now for the teleport.

To update on my previous post about exploring higher MP's, I am pleased to say that I can pretty much faceroll mp 3 now! Even with a full party I am "the dmg dealer" due to 1.5mil WoL crits to multiple monsters. Also, let me just say that a team of 4 TR monks is ridiculous, hilarious and INSANE!!! Its so fun, and you literally just bulldoze through acts so quickly. I definitely recommend you get a TR team together.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]