Diablo® III

Unsocketing price kills build variety, alts, trading

Hello, 5 million per marquise for unsocketing? Did you lost your mind....?

I play: Archon wizard, CM wizard and leveling WD. Let's see how it will look like:

1. When going CM from archon i change weapon, from my rare sword to chantodo's wand. Replacing gem will cost me 5m. Also i replace 2 - 5 gems in chest + pants to VIT gems (depending on MP level im planing to play) that will cost me another 10 - 25m.

total: 15-30m

and.....another 15-30m when changing back.
......:D

Not playing CM again. Blizzard tells me that i must play one spec all the time.

2. Let's say i find slightly better chest (few more stats, resistances etc) i would normaly replace it with my old one, but in this case i will have to pay 15m to replace gems. Not worth it. Will sell upgrade on AH.

So.. Not gearing any more. Blizzard tells me that i must sell upgrades on AH.

3. Playing WD sometimes, trying to level it. When playing WD i replace amethyst with ruby on my mempo and pass it to WD, cuz WD still needs +exp and my wizard is already paragon 100. So that will cost me 5m and another 5m when i decide that leveling my alt is enough.

Not gona play with WD anymore. Blizzard once again decided that i can't play with alts and must stick to my main untill my brain will explode.

SERIOUSLY, BLIZZARD. W T F? Can you ONCE leave your "we feel like it has to be like this", "we decided that we gona make it like this" and listen to the fans who are still on your sinking ship?

With prices like that you are trying to create goldsink and save your !@#$ed up economy (That you created ofc).

but, all you do is:

YOU HURT PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY DO NOT BOT, CHEAT OR EXPLOIT and PLAY THIS GAME FAIR. They cannot afford prices like that, so that means they cannot go for best gems in game or play with other specs and alts?

People who are here just to troll, don't bother. You will say - then do not buy those gems. And that is retarded. I can afford getting them, but i can't afford having them, and to still be able to have them i must stop playing other specs/alts. Between choices to drop specs/alts and get best gems or to play other specs and stick to old gems, many people will go for new gems and not playing alts. And why even make that decision? It is not fun, it kills game.

Prices must be symbolic, like 10-15k per gem. Try to save your ruined economy in some other ways.

Blizzard get your !@#$ together, you are loosing so many cool people day by day. You can't seem to handle this situation. Can't do right things.
Edited by Nannou#2575 on 14/02/2013 14:55 GMT
Reply Quote
Agree. I've never had more than 3 millions...
Reply Quote
Well I guess Acti/blizz has to save this sinking, stinking piece of crap for a game. I suggest you go over and play Path of Exile - completely free and blows this piece of garbage game out of the water. It's a pity too as D3 is fun to play not fun to maintain your sht.
Reply Quote
When i first read that unsocketing this gem was going to cost 5 million - i did a double take!
The only people this will affect are the legit players... seems to be Blizzards philosophy of late.

Blizzard if you want to fix the broken economy, i suggest starting with;
1) The Botters
2) The Dupers
3) The Flippers

I firmly believe that this is a better solution for the everyone involved,
Better 10% AH sale generation on 5,000,000 transactions
Than 1% AH sale generation on 40,000,000 transactions.

This numbers a plucked out of the air, but if the system was on a level playing ground for everyone there would be more players using the AH and more importantly more players WILLING to use the AH.
Reply Quote
Instead of unsocketing...Try purchase new gems, idea? The cost to unsocket will quickly add up to the price of a new gem. Which is exactly what Blizz wants you to do, so working as intended.

As a sidenote. I have made all my gems myself. Still only have 80% em's because of the gold cost, so your problem is really a luxury problem, and only shows that you are somewhat spoiled in that regard, no? If you can afford to make/purchase Marquise gems, you can afford to buy new gems.
Reply Quote
existance of unsocket price at all sucks hard
Reply Quote
I think there was a blue post in last Q&A that said that their intention is for people to make Marquise gems for every alt, not just swap around... That probably implies they want you to make them for every gear set as well...

5 mil is a hefty sum even for people with multiple billions, if you need to swap a lot.
Reply Quote
Community
We answered this question in the recent "Ask the Devs" post. You can find the full post here, but I will quote the part that concerns your question:
Q. Why did you make the cost to unsocket marquise gems cost 5 million? Many players want a flexible system where they can change gems frequently and this is just forcing players into sticking with a single gem due to high re-socketing costs.

-- DBraveZ#1254 (Europe [English]), Claw8ds#1130 (Americas [English])

Andrew: We love that players are able to remove gems from sockets in Diablo III, as it helps provide more flexibility as you gear up rather than locking you to single choice. However, since un-socketing is so painless and costs so little, what we've found is that players will simply recycle the same gem across all their characters rather than creating new ones. An important goal with the new Marquise gems is to act as a gold and Radiant Star gem sink. Currently, there's nothing in the game that actually pulls those gems out of the economy, but to keep their value up, that's important.

In all honesty, I wish the cost to remove the lower tier gems was much higher, more in line with the cost of the Marquise gem. We would prefer players to be crafting new gems of all types rather than just shuffling them around as that makes the gem economy more dynamic (more things coming in, lots of things coming out). Right now it's almost entirely stagnant, with demand going down every day. If you only had to craft one Marquise Ruby for all 10 characters, that would remove some Radiant Stars from the economy, but realistically it won't remove much. With the unsocket cost set to 5 million, you now have a clear choice: "should I move my gem 4 times or just craft a new one?" For the sake of the economy, we actually hope you'd prefer to craft a new one.

So to answer your question as to why the cost is so high to unsocket marquise gems; it's not for the reasons you listed, but to act as a gold sink, but also to stimulate the gem economy because at the moment it's quite stagnant. :(

14/02/2013 14:47Posted by Manif
This would generally mean that you are not going to be able to buy or create a Marquise gem to begin with sadly. A marquise gem costs 20 million to make, and this is not including the other required reagents. :(
Edited by Nakatoir on 14/02/2013 15:47 GMT
Reply Quote
We answered this question in the recent "Ask the Devs" post. You can find the full post [url="http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6609341108"]here[/url], but I will quote the part that concerns your question:

Andrew: We love that players are able to remove gems from sockets in Diablo III, as it helps provide more flexibility as you gear up rather than locking you to single choice. However, since un-socketing is so painless and costs so little, what we've found is that players will simply recycle the same gem across all their characters rather than creating new ones. An important goal with the new Marquise gems is to act as a gold and Radiant Star gem sink. Currently, there's nothing in the game that actually pulls those gems out of the economy, but to keep their value up, that's important.

In all honesty, I wish the cost to remove the lower tier gems was much higher, more in line with the cost of the Marquise gem. We would prefer players to be crafting new gems of all types rather than just shuffling them around as that makes the gem economy more dynamic (more things coming in, lots of things coming out). Right now it's almost entirely stagnant, with demand going down every day. If you only had to craft one Marquise Ruby for all 10 characters, that would remove some Radiant Stars from the economy, but realistically it won't remove much. With the unsocket cost set to 5 million, you now have a clear choice: "should I move my gem 4 times or just craft a new one?" For the sake of the economy, we actually hope you'd prefer to craft a new one.

So to answer your question as to why the cost is so high to unsocket marquise gems; it's not for the reasons you listed, but to act as a gold sink, but also to stimulate the gem economy because at the moment it's quite stagnant. :(

14/02/2013 14:47Posted by Manif
This would generally mean that you are not going to be able to buy or create a Marquise gem to begin with sadly. A marquise gem costs 20 million to make, and this is not including the other required reagents. :(

Just because a designer had already answered that issue with a reason doesn't mean it's a valid design choice, and it's one I don't really agree with.

Also all your sad smilies suggests you don't appear to agree with it either since most people wont be able to afford that.

Which doesn't really seem to fit the current philosophy that Blizzard crams down our throats of everything must be accessible. Then why do I have to pay 5 million gold to unsocket it? I have to spend 50 hours farming gold and items to be able to afford to unsocket that one gem? The amount of time you spend on this game for such low reward isn't that great and the discouragement to want to grind isn't good.

The ratio of input vs reward is so low for this game which makes it not fun, the reason I keep playing every now and then is because I'm delusion and I hope that I get a good drop (almost everything on my toons I had to buy to enjoy the game without having to spend 1000 hrs farming). And my wife likes playing from time to time, so I don't mind playing a bit of coop. Killing part is the only really good thing about this game.

Some people have the time to do that and that's fine, but I like to do other things with me life, play other games, spend time with my wife, see the world and all that.

When I play other RPGs I never really had this sensation of not progressing or not being rewarded for killing and the drops have more or less always been fun, not so in Diablo 3s case.

I've been a designer for about 10 years now and I've honestly never seen such a mismatch of contradicting design philosophies. I would elaborate more but I'm at work crunching right now.
Edited by Zombie#1529 on 14/02/2013 16:08 GMT
Reply Quote
Community
14/02/2013 16:02Posted by Zombie
Also all your sad smilies suggests you don't appear to agree with it either since most people wont be able to afford that.
No, it was a sad smiley because I was telling Manif that creating or buying a Marquise gem might be too expensive for him at this time, given his comment.
Reply Quote
14/02/2013 15:46Posted by Nakatoir
In all honesty, I wish the cost to remove the lower tier gems was much higher, more in line with the cost of the Marquise gem.

Why didn't you higher the gem unsocked costs in general?

Now most players won't go from Radiant Star to the Marquise gem's because the benefits don't weigh up against the costs. If the costs would have scaled we would be forced to accept the new design pattern, which in my opinion is acceptable.

For example scaling the unsocked costs like this:

Marquise 1.5m
Radiant Star 1.25m
Perfect Star 1m
Flawless Star 0.5m
Star 0.3m
Radiant Square 0.25m
Perfect Square 0.2m
Reply Quote
- Diablo III
View profile
14/02/2013 15:46Posted by Nakatoir
:(

Sad faces all round!

I'd be up for it if the highest tier gems gave you a little extra. Something original and creative on top of the Very marginal increase in stats.
Reply Quote
it's ridiculous, the 5m costs to unsocket.

I thought about getting some marq gems, but I have 4 helms and 3 weapons for a few different builds. I will not pay THAT much gold to make gems for all for a 10% crit dmg and 1% life over radiant and besides be confronted with a 10M costs for each time I switch items.

What were you thinking

LOL
Reply Quote
Nakatoir, the serious issue that hasn't been addressed with this is that to compare if a complex weapon is better than yours in the AH you do the following:

Link Ah weapon in chat;
Remove gem from your wep;
Fire up game and click on linked chat item.

This activity now costs 5m to check if a weapon is a viable upgrade, unacceptable.

Of course we can type it into an online calculator but seriously who can be bothered with that?
Reply Quote
How many people do you think follow your philosophy and rather than unsocketing gems, choose to buy equally good helm with 100m gem in it (let's say crit 4,5+ mempo 170+ main stat) just to put it on alternative character to play it from time to time? Or how many people spend 500~m to fully socket their alternative spec's gear? But honestly.

Oh, and btw, many people have something like 3-4 sets of gear, you honestly hope they will socket all their gear with different gems?

Making a big mistake blizzard. I thought that philosophy of this game was to have fun, to be able to play with gear, try to get better and better. We often make gear choices, sacrifising stats for another ones. You are taking it away from us. Let's say we bought insane dps piece without vitality, so now we need to work on gems to balance it again. We can't do it because we can't afford unsocketing gems. Poor poor gold sink decision.
Edited by Nannou#2575 on 14/02/2013 16:30 GMT
Reply Quote
Why are you playing the game so complicatedly? I have never thought oh ya I'ma switch this for this 2 pack mob and also remove and re-add a gem in the process. Just kill the monsters and have fun.
Reply Quote
Why all the rage about a gem that is not required for playing this game, even at high MP? Seriously, the cheaper gems are still equally good. See the marquise as an endgame type of gem. It will take time to have 1 or even several. You don't need it right now, and you won't be adversely effected if not all the gear you swap into gets the same powerupgrade. Having multiple sets of gear was a choice you made, and don't tell me you weren't aware of the disadvantage of multiplying costs for gems.
Rather than feeling angry about not being to upgrade now, see it as a nice thing to work towards.
Reply Quote
Link Ah weapon in chat;Remove gem from your wep;Fire up game and click on linked chat item.This activity now costs 5m to check if a weapon is a viable upgrade, unacceptable.

LOL indeed. Didnt even think about that one........

5M price is a fail...

Hey Blizz; There is more than enough gold in the economy. How about you decide on some model to fluctuate gold drops based on the total amount of gold available among players that have logged into the game at least once in the past 90 days and say this amount of gold must not exceed X gold to keep things healthy.

When it exceeds all gold drops are removed from drops and repair costs are free of charge.

You can only get gold by farming items to sell to vendor or sell on AH.

You have to do something to stop the huge gold drops, certainly now everyone is reaching high paragon levels and dropping xxx% more gold (and even more when you add MP levels in the mix).
Reply Quote

1. When going CM from archon i change weapon, from my rare sword to chantodo's wand. Replacing gem will cost me 5m. Also i replace 2 - 5 gems in chest + pants to VIT gems (depending on MP level im planing to play) that will cost me another 10 - 25m.

Now you have to buy another gem for your wand. Which is quite logical and good for economy.
You want to be flexible? Fine. But everything comes with a price. If you want to be flexible you'll have to use lower grade gems. 12-30 vitality less - its your price for flexibility.

2. Let's say i find slightly better chest (few more stats, resistances etc) i would normaly replace it with my old one, but in this case i will have to pay 15m to replace gems. Not worth it. Will sell upgrade on AH.

This situation is not real.
You are using hypothetical situation where you are using 3 gems worth 100 million each, 300 million in total in a piece of gear that is not worth 15 million.

If your gear is so cheap - salvage it and get your gems for free. If your gear itself is worth the 500+ million (and it should be, considering you are going to put 300 million worth gems in it), than paying 15million for replacing gems should not be a problem. Come on! You just found an upgrade over your 500 million gear, it is probably worth at least 600 million and you are whining about 15 million to remove gems??

3. Playing WD sometimes, trying to level it. When playing WD i replace amethyst with ruby on my mempo and pass it to WD, cuz WD still needs +exp and my wizard is already paragon 100. So that will cost me 5m and another 5m when i decide that leveling my alt is enough.

][/u]
OR you can use lower grade gems.
OR you can buy another set of gear.
OR you can pay to remove gem.

If you don't like new gems - don't use them
Now you have options. You did not have them before patch.
Reply Quote
Link Ah weapon in chat;
Remove gem from your wep;
Fire up game and click on linked chat item.

This activity now costs 5m to check if a weapon is a viable upgrade, unacceptable.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]