Diablo® III

Magic Weapon // Blood Magic rune and build diversity

I strongly feel, and I'm sure many would agree, that too many builds are too dependent on Life Steal. A lot of great, fun builds and otherwise fine weapons would be so much better if Life Steal wasn't such an issue.

I enjoy testing new builds. And I do know the most popular/effective specs - but really.. it'd be great if the wiz wasn't so limited in build diversity especially on higher MP levels. The problem isn't that one can't make playing a Wiz at high MP work, it's just that no matter how good your gear is at high MP, you're still very limited in what kind of skill lineups you can use.

I'll draw a small comparison to barbs (I don't know Monk/WD well enough):
    - Takes 30% less dmg baseline
    - More instant casts
    - Much better mobility
    -- Belt (2-3% LS)
    -- Passive (3% LS)
    -- Weapon 1 (2-3% LS)
    -- Weapon 2 (2-3% LS)

Let's not forget a plethora of skills with Life Steal as a rune effect and even a very nice selection of defensive passive skills - just in case all that other stuff wasn't enough.

Look - here's what I feel about the barb: It's a class that works. It's not the barb that needs change - but other classes need to be brought closer to the level of the barb in various ways.

So anyway back to topic:
Magic Weapon
Conjuration
Cost: 25 Arcane Power
Imbue your weapon with magical energy, granting it 10% increased damage. Lasts 5 minutes.
--
Blood Magic
Attacks recover 1.5% of damage caused as Life.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/class/wizard/active/magic-weapon
--
So here is a level 55 skill rune that is likely almost exclusively used by level 60s on Inferno mode - where it is only 20% effective. That's it - look, I know you've said in the past that it's working as intended but I just can't help but feel that it really isn't. The wording is misleading and the effect is underpowered to the point that a ton of builds can only be effective with Life Steal on the weapon in additon, if at all.

Please change this rune to do what it says it does or work in some Life Steal on rings, amulets and gloves like you did in D2 (that might be over the top for some classes but you can adjust). You'll open up more options for a lot of fun builds and some otherwise GREAT weapons will be useful again.
Edited by bjornh#2928 on 12/03/2013 18:30 GMT
Reply Quote
play barb don't cry
Reply Quote
I just wish that they fix blood magic, to be a 1.5 life stel, not just for some spells, and others have no effect on it.

And my second wish is to fix healt link to get proper life steal back, not just 1/3.
Reply Quote
Yea barbar can get LS. Wiz pretty much needs a wand or a build that doesen´t need more than 1 apoc item.

When it comes to build diversity, wiz has dozens and dozens of different specs and variations that work.

Barb has 2 and a half builds: hota,ww and hybrid of hota/ww.
Reply Quote
05/03/2013 20:23Posted by Jumbasa
When it comes to build diversity, wiz has dozens and dozens of different specs and variations that work

No.
Reply Quote
I personally find the blood magic rune tremendously effective. Maybe you're just not doing enough damage.

And Jumbasa... don't forget seismic slam... by far the most fun to play in my opinion.
Reply Quote
I agrea that the Wiz doesnt have a huge vartiety of build options. If we had a leveling system for skill runes all these isses we are having would go away... Maybe forever.
Reply Quote
totally agree ,we need some passive with life steal,and blood magic must be up to 3%
Reply Quote
Blood magic at 3 would mean I'm no longer 'forced' to have LS on my weapon. I hope they ever do this.

Dagger with crit, crtDMS, ias, socket and LS = ultra rare (above 900dps anyway)
Edited by Guilliman#2921 on 12/03/2013 07:16 GMT
Reply Quote
I AGREE COMPLETELY, Blood Magic Rune for Wiz doesn't seem to work properly with blizzard or explosive blast with chain reaction. Both skills accumulate MASSIVE damage over a few quick seconds and when I activate Blood Magic and cast both skills I don't notice my health climbing quickly. It shoudl be considering that bliz is 510% I AGREE COMPETELY, Blood Magic Rune for Wiz doesn't seem to work properly with blizzard or explosive blast with chain reaction. Both skills accumulate MASSIVE damage over a few quick seconds and when I activate blood magic ans cast both skills I dont notice my health climbing quickly. I should being that bliz is 510% weap damage, and I'm at about 55% CC, 400% Crit dmg, with a 175k base DPS.

Blood Magic just doesn't seem to be LIFE STEALNG 'ing with ALL skills properly, and if it is leeching, the ammount is not noticeable at ALL. My average crit hits are 500-750k, and I only have 30k life, with Blood Magic on, I should re-coop that life with one Blizzard dump on a group of 10 or more.
Reply Quote
12/03/2013 14:18Posted by DFxDOPEY
Blood Magic just doesn't seem to be LIFE STEALNG 'ing with ALL skills properly

Well I can tell you blizzard is working properly, and as far as I know so is explosive blast. Blizzard didn't used to work but they recently fixed it and in the process introduced another error that they are getting ready to hotfix (double AP return on procs).

If all you have is blood magic though that's 1.5% LS that's nerfed by 80% on inferno and blizzard has a proc. coef. of 0.0125 and explosive blast of 0.111 on chain reaction rune.

Blizzard:
(100000)*(1.5/100)*(1-0.8)*(0.0125)=3.75 HP from 100000k dmg. It doesn't matter what rune you use, unless you don't use a rune at all then the proc. coef. drops to 0.01
Assuming you're using Stark Winter or Snowbound runes which are the most common, you get 24 hits over the course of 6 seconds. So that would be 90 HP total for the cast duration of blizzard and it come out to 15 HP/s

Explosive Blast - Chain Reaction:
(100000)*(1.5/100)*(1-0.8)*(0.111)=33.3 HP for one explosion (3 explosions per cast) =99.9 HP

These values are for single target of course. Multiply by numbers of targets for more than one enemy.

As you can see though neither of these spells are great for LS because of their low proc. coef.
Edited by NOCK#2519 on 12/03/2013 14:54 GMT
Reply Quote
12/03/2013 01:02Posted by Moose
I personally find the blood magic rune tremendously effective. Maybe you're just not doing enough damage.

It's much better than not using it, especially if you don't have LS on the weapon in addition. That I can agree on. Still it's only 20% effective on Inferno mode - it's actually 0.3% when in fact it says 1.5% - how confusing is that for a rune that is almost exclusively used on Inferno mode anyway, and it really limits you when playing on higher MPs or want to try another fun skill lineup.

I do enough damage, that's not the problem - the problem is lack of Life Steal is too much of a limiting factor. Even if you have insanely good and expensive gear, you really have a limited range of skill setups at high MP that is effective enough to be playable. And again, other classes have a lot of ways to replenish their life that they can juggle around with.
Reply Quote
Blizzard:
(100000)*(1.5/100)*(1-0.8)*(0.0125)=3.75 HP from 100000k dmg.

Isn't it 300 life? Proc coeff is for loh but is it for ls too?

Blood magic is a skill that is not in need of a buff nealry as much as some other spells, though other skills could use some added life steal to become useful. For example Arcane Torrent ls rune, Familiar ls rune, and Armor spells' ls rune. All those spells have useless runes while bm is actually not to bad.

All the secondaies could have ls runes without being "too powerful" as it could be limited to only the skills' dmg itself. Or even a small inherent ls bonus for the channeled spells, which blue somewhere said could use some strengthening, and also additional ls rune if needed more.
Reply Quote

When it comes to build diversity, wiz has dozens and dozens of different specs and variations that work

No.
Out of all the skills, you and I are only using a one same skill :) I rotate passives cold blooded,Conflagration or however it´s spelled,Paralysis and arcane dynamo so there´s even diversity between passsives for us.

I´m green but so far the builds I´ve heard of:

-Archon and Archon hybrid
-Cookie cutter and it´s hybrids
-Meteor and it´s dozens of variations
-Arcane dynamo builds, too many to list
-Non CM builds

Other classes:

WD has good build diversity but bears are the cornerstone for almost every build.

Hunter can´t even play mp10 solo efficiently and those that can do mp8 need over 400k unbuffed dps + there´s like 3 builds total.

Barbar is barbar allready covered.

Till the latest patch monk´s had that cookie cutter and nothing else, now they got a nice diversity with plenty of cool skills to choose from, monk is close to casters but still far away from wiz when it comes to build diversity.
Reply Quote
I think there is a simple fix

* Buff Blood Magic rune
* Change Armor passive, so it heals 2% of max life, like barb's Inspiring Presence passive, not flat 310 HP
Reply Quote
I ran with 14 pickup radius and ~1k life after each kill necklace for a long time. You don't have to use life steal although it is very useful. Just be glad we get the 1.5 LS from skills. Witch doctors HAVE to use the !@#$ing Manajuma weapon for life steal, on top of that they don't even have a guaranteed crit chance on their legendary offhands. Things could be a lot worse.

Wizard don't need buffs/changes
Other classes need their mobility nerfed
Reply Quote
Albin, I'd like you to have a look at this please. Note, it's of course not a spec any WD would play exactly like this, it's just for lining some skills up to illustrate there are plenty of options to juggle around with for a WD in case one is lacking in Life Return skills: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#cYUdVg!eTa!ZccZYY
Reply Quote
All those skills are usless except passives JF and GI.
Reply Quote
13/03/2013 16:49Posted by Jumbasa
All those skills are usless except passives JF and GI.

OK. I hear you saying this and I'm sure you know what you're talking about. If that's true then I suppose the LS problem isn't limited to Wiz only, which doesn't make the situation any better regardless.
Reply Quote
Wizard doesn't have a problem with life steal. 1.5 is enough to live, just get enough life and resistance. If you think resistance is bad (why would you?), you can get another 3% life steal from weapon which will overdo it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]