Diablo® III

DC timer is NOT 10 seconds - it's MUCH longer

I'v just lost 56 WD to disconnect - not a really bad tradgedy but hurts a little :) couple dozen hours + items 5 million worth.

But I want to discuss another matter. After rip I called a friend and we do small experiment - I intentionally unplug my ethernet cable and he counts for hor long my hero will be in game after that. It was tremendous 40 seconds! Why it is so much when the game should disconnect you after 10 seconds?
It's not that hard to code - just send small packets to client every 1 or 2 second and if server dont have response in 10 seconds or any other network input from client it should assume that DC occured 10 seconds ago and instantly remove you from the game! My WD surely would survive 10 seconds on Butcher...
Reply Quote
R.I.P WD. Interesting point you raise, I agree 100% it SHOULD be a 10 sec disconnect, I had assumed it was...
Reply Quote
You can avoid a disconnect death by opening Diablo two times (preferably on a second pc or laptop close to you) On 1 pc you play the game and the other stays at loginscreen with the email and password already filled in.

Now if you get disconnected because of blizzard's fault you immediately login on your second pc/laptop by pressing enter.

Normally if your char is ingame and someone logs into your account you immediately get kicked to login screen. With this method your char is saved from a disconnect death.
Reply Quote
thanks for the advice but 1st I havent another laptop/computer and 2nd I have authenticator attached to account so I have to enter 8 digits number after password to login :) nevetheless the point is that its not very difficult for blizzard to do so that disconnect timer calculates correctly (I can tell this as I am programmer myself and I offered algorythm in previous post) but they didnt and its lame :(
Reply Quote
If you don't have a second pc/laptop you can open 2 diablo clients on your pc by copying the d3 folder.

Create a shortcut to Diablo III.exe and change it like this:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Diablo III\Diablo III Launcher.exe" -launch"

Now change 1 diablo 3 client to 800x600 all settings low/off, windowed mode and make the window as small as possible so it doesn't cost much system memory. And just press Alt Tab.

Personally I never did this, but it's one way..

Blizzard will not fix the DC issue, because they don't care about hardcore.
Reply Quote
Thx for the advice but I tried to do like you wrote and got "Diablo III is already running" message when trying to run second client. I guess the only way to resist DC problem is to play in party with friends and hope they will save you.

But I just wanted to raise the problem on forum because its not so difficult to fix it and I offered the solution in my post above and its lame that Blizzard haven't employed it in game :(

I'm not THAT good in programming (at least in gaming programming - I mostly write bank and finance sql-related c/c++ code) and I'm quite sure that I got much less monthly fee than Bliz programmers so its double lame that they are so bad...
Reply Quote
Forgot you have to run the shortcut as admin then it will work. Right click the shortcut and sign the run as admin box.

Also copy the Diablo III.exe to your desktop as shortcut not the launcher.exe

Let me know if it works.
Reply Quote
It doesnt matter - I guess it determines that diablo process is running and gives you an error message
Reply Quote
Then you're doing something wrong.

You need to copy the whole diablo 3 folder and run both instances as admin.

I have these 2 shortcuts on my desktop:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Diablo III - Copy\Diablo III.exe" -launch
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Diablo III\Diablo III Launcher.exe" -launch

After you open the first client. The second client MUST be opened by loading diablo III.exe with the launch command (not diablo III launcher.exe) Otherwise it does not work.
Reply Quote
Thank you!

I have to run launcher not as admin because I got file not found error otherwise. But I can run Diablo III as admin and it worked I have 2 Diablo copies running now.
Reply Quote
03/03/2013 11:37Posted by GlaDOS
But I can run Diablo III as admin and it worked I have 2 Diablo copies running now.

Just a shame you have to do this to play a HC Blizzard game and prevent avoidable DC deaths, when in reality for a £50 game, I'd expect that the game producer woul have some sort of FAIL SAFE for HC characters.
Reply Quote
how can someone spent more then 500k on character under lv 60?
Reply Quote
03/03/2013 15:04Posted by Leviathan
how can someone spent more then 500k on character under lv 60?

Here is my dead WD:
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/GlaDOS-2860/hero/25416416

63 level weapon
zodiac ring
63 level shield with AR
63 crafted shoulders
61 belt with AR
58 bracers with AR + Armor

All this costs you know. I don't remember the exact price, but its smth. near 5 mil
All these items allow you to go solo mp10 hell to level up faster.

When you have around 150 millons gold its not THAT much to spend 5 mil on your low level hero.
Edited by GlaDOS#2860 on 03/03/2013 16:30 GMT
Reply Quote
i agree
Reply Quote
02/03/2013 20:33Posted by Meltykiss
Normally if your char is ingame and someone logs into your account you immediately get kicked to login screen. With this method your char is saved from a disconnect death.

thats wrong, got "fixed" months ago... when you log in second time it takes 10 seconds for char to leave the game, except youre in town
Reply Quote
Nice tip Meltykiss. ;)

Unfortunately it has its "workarounds": my monk's been through only one disconnect, but 3 or 4 power outages, in which case no computer in the neighborhood can help anymore.

Luckily none during an elite fight, but I'd still like best a solution directly from Blizzard. :)
Reply Quote
Unfortunately its nearly impossible to resolve if its real disconnect or you intentionally broke connection in dire situation. So to avoid exploits developers (Blizzard) are forced to assume you unplug the cable intentionally and punish you with 10 sec penalty. It is fair but...

It should be 10 seconds - NOT 40. And I offered an algorythm that allows the exact 10 seconds in such case (look at my first post). It is very sad that bliz network programmers are so lame that it actually takes 40 seconds for the game to determine that you are off and kick you from the game (again look at my fist post).

01/03/2013 20:54Posted by GlaDOS
It's not that hard to code - just send small packets to client every 1 or 2 second and if server dont have response in 10 seconds or any other network input from client it should assume that DC occured 10 seconds ago and instantly remove you from the game!
Edited by GlaDOS#2860 on 06/03/2013 00:27 GMT
Reply Quote
i'm playing with wire connected to pc, and one day i accidentally pul the wire out. quickly i pulled it back. and wtf. nothing happened. i m still in game like nothing happened. I continued same game after that normally. so i tried in safe environment and pulled wire again and w8 to pass 10 sec and pulled back, but i get dc
Reply Quote
Has this been fixed? Blues?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]