Diablo® III

CMs to be posting more often.

- Diablo III
View profile
That all said, the main focus of our developers is and will always be developing the game, so you're going to see CMs posting far more often. We hope to continue this trend of increased communication, though -- not only because it's something you've asked for, but also because we know it's important

Source
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8088619793

Now does that mean we will see good old Van more than once a month or will other CMs / Devs actually start posting over here?

Or

Are they only talking about the US forums like usual?
Reply Quote
View profile
So, our job as CMs -- or at least part of our job -- is to work with designers like Wyatt and Travis to publish developer journals and patch previews or host Q&As, and it's ultimately why we encouraged them to join us on the forums. I'm super excited they were on board with posting, because they're awesome people (and awesome designers), and I know they can help provide the kind of interaction so many of you appreciate.

That all said, the main focus of our developers is and will always be developing the game, so you're going to see CMs posting far more often.

I read that last line as meaning you'd see CMs posting far more often than the game designers will, not that the posting frequency of the CMs is going to increase.
Reply Quote
- Diablo III
View profile
If that is what they mean Mereorblade then they need to learn English and to phrase things correctly.
Reply Quote
Community
08/03/2013 09:18Posted by Fean
Now does that mean we will see good old Van more than once a month or will other CMs / Devs actually start posting over here?

We will try our best to show our presence as much as we can, and this goes for all my blue colleagues as well. We have many forums that we must keep an eye on though, so it is hard to be equally present in all of them at all times. It should also be said that I am not in a position where I can dictate on which forum the developers must post, but they do read the forums often, including this one, so it can definitely happen that they pop in to post from time to time. Their primary focus is of course to develop the game, so the developers do not post that frequently :-)

08/03/2013 09:33Posted by Meteorblade
I read that last line as meaning you'd see CMs posting far more often than the game designers will, not that the posting frequency of the CMs is going to increase.

That is correct. In general you should expect to see blue posts from CMs much more frequently then blue posts from developers.
Edited by Vaneras on 08/03/2013 10:11 GMT
Reply Quote
08/03/2013 09:59Posted by Vaneras
Their primary focus is of course to develop the game, so the developers do not post that frequently :-)

^^

Vaneras, your input is always of good value and I agree with the OP, would like to see you and the other blues more often over here! :)
Reply Quote
- Diablo III
View profile
I completely understand that Van and it's understandable that improving the game is much better than scrolling through the forums.

It would be nice if they posted some over here to at least let the EU guys know they do give a damn about us and not just the US players because since launch we have had a huge lack of input from them on the EU forums, you and the guys on the Tech forum are the only CMs we see.

I made a point a while ago that the WD forum hasn't seen one CM post other than the stickys that are there and we have made MASSIVE posts which are about the game and WD skills and items.

Will the Class forums see any input at any point?

Like always thanks for replying Van it is appreciated.
Reply Quote
08/03/2013 09:18Posted by Fean
Are they only talking about the US forums like usual?

this
Reply Quote
Community
08/03/2013 10:52Posted by Fean
Will the Class forums see any input at any point?

We gather feedback from the class forums all the time, which is forwarded to the developers. But we tend not to post there so often because the primary purpose of the class forums is to be a place where players come together to discuss their class and ask each other for advice and such.

In general it causes a lot of disruption when we post in the class forums, and the topics being discussed then tends to get derailed with accusations of favouritism and comparisons of how many posts we did in any given class forum. This then results in players from the class forum with the least blue posts invading other class forums with more blue posts, where they then disrupt those other class forums with all kinds of off-topic posts about where we ought to be posting, and if we don't, then how that is just "proof" that we do not care, etc.

As you can maybe imagine, we get better and more useful feedback from the class forums when we do not post there.
Edited by Vaneras on 08/03/2013 12:39 GMT
Reply Quote
- Diablo III
View profile
Van that actually makes perfect sense, however that being said we did try post in the general forums as well and got nothing, barbs, monks etc... did get some input.

All most WDs would like to know is that we are going to see some changes which will put us back into the DoT / Pet game instead of being nukers, we know sac builds but you know a lot remember playing poison nova / thorns curse on a Necro back in D2 and although this isn't D2 that was a very enjoyable play style to DoT and thorns things to death and use all your pets. DoTs stacking would be a good start so you know.

For that FA needs sorting as does out fetish passive and gidbinn etc...

Again thank you very much for replying Van it really is appreciated every time.

Obviously I'm not asking you to answer all this I just wanted to explain some of the issues we are having and what we are discussing / have discussed.
Reply Quote
Community
08/03/2013 12:45Posted by Fean
Obviously I'm not asking you to answer all this I just wanted to explain some of the issues we are having and what we are discussing / have discussed.

I totally understand that :-)

Please rest assured that the feedback you guys have posted in the class forums as well as general forums have been seen, and that even though we do not post much all the time, we do read the things you post... we spend time every day on the forums reading and forwarding feedback.

We will of course reply to those threads whenever we have some information we can share with you, but in many cases the developers like to share their thoughts and their feedback on things posted on the forums via our blog updates, and now also the "Ask the Devs" sessions, because they are generally seen by more people and not just those who visit the forums.
Reply Quote
- Diablo III
View profile
Without being rude Van the WD community and I'm talking EU and US side banded together at the Q&A we produced questions well within the guide lines and both sides up voted all comments to do with the WD to try and get just a little feedback on the class and the patch.

Not one WD question was even remotely answered so on that front I've pretty much given up and see the Q&A more as a publisity stunt to advertise what they want and to ignore the tougher or more important questions.

If they want to make the Q&As good then the difficult questions and the things people are actually wanting answering needs to be answered not just what looks good to them.

I know that's harsh but honestly it was very disheartening when we spent 2 weeks discussing what we would ask and then to be 100% ignored.
Reply Quote
- Diablo III
View profile
Not one WD question was even remotely answered so on that front I've pretty much given up and see the Q&A more as a publisity stunt to advertise what they want and to ignore the tougher or more important questions.

If they want to make the Q&As good then the difficult questions and the things people are actually wanting answering needs to be answered not just what looks good to them.

I have to agree with Fean here. We both obviously like the game, but the Q&A was a let down. 5-8 answers mostly about brawling and such were - answered at LENGTH. I think those topics were chosen because the devs could/wanted to answer them. They did NOT go over well with the community.
Generally speaking I would rather have 20 10-line answers to questions you know we need answers to, than the 8 30-line answers we got, of which some were more or less the same question really...

I really had high hopes for Q&A and made lots of notes all week and posted several q's. But when I read the answers I just went on and forgot about it. Got nothing out of it.

The whole setup is against transparency. YOU set the topic, YOU choose from the questions most liked and YOU choose how to answer. We might as well not even ask. It would be like when I step out into Core of Arreat and hope for a cc Mempo to drop :-) Too many variables that my hope/question needs to bypass.

OOPS, forgot to say thanks Van for answering Fean's thread!!!
Edited by OioxFûl#2919 on 08/03/2013 14:03 GMT
Reply Quote
Community
The interest in the first Ask the Devs session was enormous after we announced it, and the expectations were super high as well, and this resulted in a ton of questions... many on topic, and many off-topic. Naturally we were not able to get answers to all those questions that were submitted, so some will therefore have to be answered at a later time. We of course understand that this sucks when the question you personally wanted to see answered the most didn't get answered.

The plan is to have these Ask the Devs sessions on a regular basis, so if you guys were disappointed with the first one, then hopefully you will be more satisfied with the future ones.

These Ask the Devs sessions are intended to be an extra source of developer feedback, and as such they are of course not meant to replace or diminish forum interaction and blog updates, so please don't stop posting your feedback and concerns on the forums. :-)
Edited by Vaneras on 08/03/2013 14:36 GMT
Reply Quote
- Diablo III
View profile
I doubt we will stop posting I can't help myself, I see number that need crunching and I have to do it. That being said when a whole community post I believe it was well over 30 questions over 2 Q&As (US and EU) and none of them were answered that was very upsetting.

Maybe from the backlash from the first Q&A as most of the reponses to the Q&A were rather negative as nothing people wanted was answered.

If the next one does in fact answer the questions that the people are asking and doesn't just find similar ones and answer them in different ways and only the ones that show a positive on their side then I think it would be worth while.

Travis Day has really been making me a lot more confidient with the direction that Diablo is heading and I can't help but think that if he had been leading in this type of direction from the off at how huge this game would be right now.

Although you can't really think like that as it may still be the same but with different peoples names in different places.

I will endulge in the next Q&A and I will try and get the whole WD community going on it again, however if the things people want answering are once again ignored then I think that will be it for the Q&As and me.

I won't stop helping the guys on the WD forums nor will I stop my persistant theorycrafting that I do or the mass of numbers and %s I post.

As always Van thank you very much for replying and for keeping in touch with us all.
Reply Quote
Hi Van maybe for the next Q&A session you can have it that each class gets 2 questions answered each, these of course would be chosen by the community upvoting like last time.

This would only lead to 10 questions for the devs to answer but it would allow each class to get a couple of answers to questions they feel strongly about.

then there could be say 5 - 10 questions about general things that are not class based.

just an idea to show the community that everyone matters.

keep up the good work Van, hope to see you and the fellow CM's keeping us up to date.
Reply Quote
08/03/2013 14:23Posted by Vaneras
Naturally we were not able to get answers to all those questions that were submitted, so some will therefore have to be answered at a later time. We of course understand that this sucks when the question you personally wanted to see answered the most didn't get answered.

Your job ( or someone else from Blizzard`s job ) is to go throught the questions and select the ones that actually matter...
Reply Quote
Thanks once again Van for in the most part, the party-line Blue responses.

However, you say the forums are constantly monitored. Really? Weeks often go by without a single Blue response, ratified by the number of posts regarding the absence of the Blues on the EU forums.

Added to this, the number of links to the US site concerning update/maintainance info etc., often makes me wonder what is the point of you guys here. Might as well close shop and direct all to the US forums for any info.

Furthermore, I agree wholeheartedly with comments directed following results of the last Q&A. It was abysmal.

Sorry Pal, but I say it as I see it.
Reply Quote
Here's an idea for you:

I think it's an established fact by now that people are somewhat unimpressed with your track record with WoW's forums, as far as "Community Managers" go. I'm sure they read most of the stuff we write, but nobody cares about that. What people care about really, is what they write, and what they write tends to be replies to pointless timewasting threads about silly things. It's understandable obviously, seeing as though they're CMs, and not an integral part of the game's development.

So. How about you remove the visibility from all the non-essentials, being the CMs. Just let them do what they do, which is moderate the forums. They can obviously continue posting on their personal accounts, but since their input is for the most part insignificant, mute them as "blues".

To replace them, give us actual developer team representatives, and make their primary job on the forums to post, not read and reply. Just them posting, even if they never reply anyone, is million times better than some CMs posting on some off-topic threads about kittens.

We know the head honchos of the developer team don't have time to be posting all the time. So hire one or two actual developer team members, who attend the meetings constantly, and who take some part in the development, but who post constantly. Choose people who are fast at typing, and love to spew miles of text, but who can also be concise when required.

No offense to any of you CMs. You've been a fun vanity item for the years you've been here, but really, in all this time, you have given us very little actual information. You've been here trying to soothe the masses, "showing the face of Blizzard", without actually saying anything. Much like press secretaries. You just appear in front of the camera but you say nothing.

I for one would much rather have actual developers talk at me, than some irrelevant vanity CMs talk with me.

Anyone agree?
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
09/03/2013 14:24Posted by Sydanyo
Just let them do what they do, which is moderate the forums. They can obviously continue posting on their personal accounts, but since their input is for the most part insignificant, mute them as "blues".

To some degree that is already the case. At the top of the forum index, the blue posts that are listed are only those that some relevance as far as information goes. All "fluff" posts won't be displayed there. So if you're only interested in the important blue posts, it's better to keep track of that list than following a certain blue tracker or clicking on every "Blizz" icon that's next to any thread you see.

09/03/2013 14:24Posted by Sydanyo
We know the head honchos of the developer team don't have time to be posting all the time. So hire one or two actual developer team members, who attend the meetings constantly, and who take some part in the development, but who post constantly.

But that is the CMs :P
They do have CMs attending design meetings, and they do post such "inside information" once in a while, when they have some information to share.
It seems like what you actually want is just more communication. And that makes sense. But it's probably also worth pointing out that Blizzard are a very iterative company, and their design process is not the fastest in the world. So for example if one day they decided on some cool new feature during a design meeting, and a CM posted about it, then the next day they could have changed their opinion and decided to scrap the idea, and then the CM would have to post about that... That wouldn't be ideal communication. So it's probably best to first share information once they're certain they'll go ahead with it – if only to avoid more situations like the Arena Deathmatch, where they talk a lot about it, but then ultimately end up scrapping it. It just leaves people dissapointed, even if they haven't actually lost something (because they didn't have it in the first place).

And I also think like Vaneras sort of says, that it makes sense to reserve the bulk of the information – or at least the important stuff – for things like Ask the Devs, blogs, and even Blizzcon and the likes. The reason is that not everyone reads the forums on a daily basis, or keeps themselves up to date with bluetrackers. So if it's important information, then it makes sense to present it elsewhere than in a forum post, because more people are likely to see it then. And the Diablo community does extend itself beyond the borders of the official forums.
Reply Quote
Here's an idea for you:

I think it's an established fact by now that people are somewhat unimpressed with your track record with WoW's forums, as far as "Community Managers" go. I'm sure they read most of the stuff we write, but nobody cares about that. What people care about really, is what they write, and what they write tends to be replies to pointless timewasting threads about silly things. It's understandable obviously, seeing as though they're CMs, and not an integral part of the game's development.

So. How about you remove the visibility from all the non-essentials, being the CMs. Just let them do what they do, which is moderate the forums. They can obviously continue posting on their personal accounts, but since their input is for the most part insignificant, mute them as "blues".

To replace them, give us actual developer team representatives, and make their primary job on the forums to post, not read and reply. Just them posting, even if they never reply anyone, is million times better than some CMs posting on some off-topic threads about kittens.

We know the head honchos of the developer team don't have time to be posting all the time. So hire one or two actual developer team members, who attend the meetings constantly, and who take some part in the development, but who post constantly. Choose people who are fast at typing, and love to spew miles of text, but who can also be concise when required.

No offense to any of you CMs. You've been a fun vanity item for the years you've been here, but really, in all this time, you have given us very little actual information. You've been here trying to soothe the masses, "showing the face of Blizzard", without actually saying anything. Much like press secretaries. You just appear in front of the camera but you say nothing.

I for one would much rather have actual developers talk at me, than some irrelevant vanity CMs talk with me.

Anyone agree?

No
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]