Diablo® III

SOJ for HOTA and cold damage bonus.

I'm a little confused about this.

The ideal is obviously 30% SOJ with minus 5 to HOTA and with 6% bonus to cold. Those cost a fortune though. I need a little advice on what you "Can get away with".

ie whats best ( and would it even work ). I'm looking at using HOTA as left click main attack, so no fury generation from bash,cleave, frenzy etc.

My price range I can get.

upto 25% SOJ with cold damage and -4/-5 to hota

or

upto 30% SOJ with NO cold damage and -3/-4 to hota.

Questions I guess are....

1.How important is the cold damage?
2.Are the lower SOJ's <26% still worth it
3.Whats the lowest minus to hota you can get away with when not using a main fury generator.
4.Best HOTA/Rend build still including sprint/wotb/battle rage. Not sure if I can drop warcry either.

Its too much money for me to buy just to test and later find out it wont work, so any advice would be great. Thx.
Reply Quote
Great question

1. Cold is too slow elites down especially good if you use a EF, combined with freeze enchantress.

2. 25% of 120k dps (you will lose around 20k maybe less) is 150k dps so increase of 10k against elites unbuffed.

3.No idea, I would like to know as well

4. Have a look at TK's sticky, hota builds
Reply Quote
And i tought my gear is bad... xD
Reply Quote
1: not for hota itself, the chill effect only lasts a couple of milli secounds after you hit anyway, however if u use sprint tornadoes its pretty powerful (then it lasts for 3 secounds)
2: I wouldent go under 29%
3: I dont use bash/frenzy and i dont have any reduction in cost, but i generate alot of fury from tornadoes
4: I think you can make it work with warcry in your build? yeah take a look at TK's hota guide
Reply Quote
Wired has a gearset for HotA that does not need a fury generator at all. Ask him to put it on and see what it needs (I remember he had atleast shield and SoJ with -hota, maybe belt too?).

He does not have it on him atm unfortunately:
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Wired-2524/hero/9382552
Edited by Barok#2407 on 19/03/2013 15:14 GMT
Reply Quote
View profile
You are kind of comparing apples and pears when you also vary the HotA bonus in your question...
So it is hard to give a direct answer. And if a lower elite dmg ring is worth mostly depends on how good the ring you are taking off is.
Since you are using EF the fear will probably be annoying, I suggest to buy a cheap cold ring first to try if you feel it gets better with cold, with HotA you are quite movement limited compared to other builds so chances are they will manage to run away anyway...
If you feel it help for the build - go for the cold ring otherwise more damage.

But I actually jumped in to add that (once again) there is too much hype over maxing elite bonus and nothing mentioned of the elemental bonus - 1 percent here makes a larger difference and is not only applied against elites! And is usually cheaper than that last % of elite bonus.
Edited by Necksnapper#2667 on 19/03/2013 15:21 GMT
Reply Quote
I start play barb again (one version of hota build and is quite fun actually). You may check my profile, with plenty reduce gear you don't need bash for fury (unforgiving and full ik set is enough) and i don't have problem keeping votb up all time. My dps is kinda low (mp8 farm is actually very fast) for mp10 i need some upgrades.

P.S. Prices for -5 reduce hota cold soj are insane, i'm using ef and non cold soj and everything is fine.
Reply Quote
- Diablo III
View profile
Hey, what's up nazgul, nice to see you in forums again and if HotA is your thing, GREAT!

I just wanted to say I got my 6% arcane, 25% elite, -3 HotA SoJ at a reasonable price. I think 7 mil. So it is doable for almost all mid-level barbs. The trick is to find them since (for an unknown reason) we still can't search for all skills, only 5! So I looked through pages of SoJ with minimum 25% elite and Max fury before I found it.

GL

And GZ nazgul on the nice Skull Grasp. Pretty good dps and skill buff!
Edited by OioxFûl#2919 on 20/03/2013 08:19 GMT
Reply Quote
Hey, what's up nazgul, nice to see you in forums again and if HotA is your thing, GREAT!

I just wanted to say I got my 6% arcane, 25% elite, -3 HotA SoJ at a reasonable price. I think 7 mil. So it is doable for almost all mid-level barbs. The trick is to find them since (for an unknown reason) we still can't search for all skills, only 5! So I looked through pages of SoJ with minimum 25% elite and Max fury before I found it.

GL

And GZ nazgul on the nice Skull Grasp. Pretty good dps and skill buff!

Hey OioxFûl
Yes, skull gasp is so nice, bought from Wired. Actually because of Wired i regeared my barb, after long conversations about crit chance, ias, perma hota build and other stuff. About soj, if you have patience you will find one better (mine was 50m).
Reply Quote
- Diablo III
View profile
20/03/2013 08:49Posted by nazgul29
About soj, if you have patience you will find one better (mine was 50m)

And money ;-P my bduget is always limited as you know so this was best I could do atm. Just really wanted a HotA SoJ for a long time. Next time I will get -4 or -5 and a little more elite dmg hopefully. My cold throw SoJ was a steal as you remember :-)
And yeah, Wired told me, you were trying/loving hota spec. WW is really getting competition from HotA now. More and more are changing!
Edited by OioxFûl#2919 on 20/03/2013 09:04 GMT
Reply Quote
Thx for the replies guys. Yeah it was because of a previous conversation with Wired I had around xmas time that I wanted to go the route without a fury generator.

I stopped playing for a few months and couldn't remember exactly what he had said. I completely forgot that he'd mentioned a skull grasp also to me.

I bought a 30% cold wizard SOJ yesterday (1.2m lol, 30% for all classes was well over 15m when I played previously ) and it definately helps with the EF fear on hit. I hate that so much that I'm thinking of replacing it completely. I also found a -3 HOTA SOJ searching like OioxFul said and it was only 7m.

I tried without a fury generator and I had alot of fury issues and died alot because of the lack of overall AR. Definately think this is entirely possible, I just need to keep plodding on and upgrade my gear for better AR without dropping too much DPS. When I have the money and upgraded my other pieces suitably I'll try the Skull Grasp route which tbh I'd completely forgotten.

I also tried without warcry and including killing spree and that just went badly. To compensate for lack of AR I put all my high AR gear on, thus meaning I lost out on approx 10-13% Crit chance so even with the 10% extra crit I still had fury problems and overall low dps problems.

I already had a -4 HOTA Stormshield, but when I tried that, the problems were the same, lack of crits etc, Think Wired had a pretty sexy Sacred shield with high str, AR, Crit chance and -5 HOTA aswell.

So anyway to sum up, I know what route I need to go now, what gear I need to aim towards etc. In the meantime I'll play a regular WW build and occassionally swap to the HOTA/Rend on lower mps just to give my fingers and timing some training.

As a last point, I seem to remember Wired also factored in Ground Stomp / Wrenching smash as a fury generator for ubers. So the build was the same as Nazguls, except he had rend instead of WW and wrenching smash instead of warcry ( but I know he usually invited another Barb also for the ubers and got warcry from him ).

Ok thx guys, guess I got some farming to do. No luck on crafting an ammy yet, 95 tries so far and the best is what I'm wearing......Thats the first thing I need to complete to free up dropping vitality from another piece.
Reply Quote
- Diablo III
View profile
I will just post a BIG HI from Wired as he is banned, but reads the forums. He would like you to know he has some goodies, if anyone is interested - like you mentioned Moog - so try asking him if you wanna go full HotA!
He also asks to say that it NEEDS 5/6 IK set bonus, Unforgiving passive, 1.8 APS minimum and -5 HotA reduction to go perma WOTB HOTA!
Edited by OioxFûl#2919 on 20/03/2013 10:52 GMT
Reply Quote
Cool thx, will add him ingame again. He's not on my friends list atm but think I have his battletag written somewhere.

And geez Wired, is this still the same ban as when we spoke last or is this another one lol.

And shizz dont seem to have changed much, I still spend more time in the AH, or on the forums than actually playing. Need to become more disciplined:)

In my absence I did managed to take Chester City from the blue square prem to Champions League success on Football Manager 2013, but I would like to go back to work at some point this side of xmas this year so decided to knock FM13 on the head!
Reply Quote
- Diablo III
View profile
Wired#2524

And no its a new, perma ban. Last he probably had a week or month's ban, when you spoke to him.

And yeah I need to play a lot more too!

GL with 2013, Moog
Reply Quote
Saves me some time, curse online games and my lack of organisation! Got about 12 A4 writing pads with various snippets of information in them and would have taken me the next hour to find the correct one. Thx m8.

Would you believe it I just found it in the first pad I checked in. Wired for MVP not perma ban I say. The world is full of little hitlers with SMS ( small man syndrome ), why else would volvo sell so many cars:)
Edited by Moog#2252 on 20/03/2013 11:17 GMT
Reply Quote

In my absence I did managed to take Chester City from the blue square prem to Champions League success on Football Manager 2013, but I would like to go back to work at some point this side of xmas this year so decided to knock FM13 on the head!

OMG! I have had some my arguments over the years about that game and wow and diablo 2 and blah blah
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]