Diablo® III

Rollback Policy Updated for the Americas and Europe

Community
Last December, we made some changes to our regional account rollback policy for players in our Asia region. We implemented this update to protect the in-game economy from the noted rise of false compromised account claims by players attempting to gain duplicate items.

This policy has proven very effective in helping reduce the number of duplicate items in the game while still allowing us to assist legitimately compromised players, and now we’re ready to roll it out for our Americas and European regions.

What’s Changing

Starting on Tuesday, April 2, all character equipment including weapons and armor restored via the Diablo III rollback service will become bound to the restored account. This means restored items cannot be traded with other players or posted on the auction house, but that they can still be shared with other characters on the account and sold to merchant NPCs.

As always we are committed to continuing to monitor the overall health and economy of the game and make additional tweaks if necessary.

Protecting Your Account

Considering that the rollback service is intended to help players whose accounts have been compromised, we obviously wish that no one ever needed to use it. The best way to help protect yourself from account compromise is to secure your PC and Battle.net account, for example by adding a Battle.net Authenticator. While no security measure is completely foolproof, we've often found that many accounts are compromised a second time simply because players do not take any action to protect themselves after being compromised the first time.

To learn more about the Battle.net Authenticator and some best practices for securing your PC against viruses and malware, check out the links below.

Battle.net Account Security Website
Secure Your Gear With the Battle.net Authenticator
Account Security: General Tips
Reply Quote
Same thing... That changes nothing IMO.
I'm using a very good weapon, i do the claim and i get another weapon but bound.
I just need to sell my weapon and keep the bound weapon on myself...
Reply Quote
I can't help but think that there must be something more effective that can be done on the investigation side of things to exclude fake claims. Also QFT the post above ^.
Edited by bjornh#2928 on 26/03/2013 18:21 GMT
Reply Quote
You guy do realize this only punishes players who really had their account compromised?

Say someone has a barb worth 8-10b. He/She gets hacked(for real).

Your gonna punish him/her and make those items worthless by way of BoA??
Reply Quote
Should have done this 10 months ago but better late than never right?

Wrong.
Edited by Vikan#1472 on 26/03/2013 19:52 GMT
Reply Quote
26/03/2013 19:37Posted by FallenSouls
our gonna punish him/her and make those items worthless by way of BoA??

Why always this? Why people think about the worthiness? It's a game, not a job.
Reply Quote
our gonna punish him/her and make those items worthless by way of BoA??

Why always this? Why people think about the worthiness? It's a game, not a job.

To enlighten you and answer your question, items cost either gold or money in this "game" in order to get better you need one or both forms of currency, hence why it is always about the worthiness. Don't patronize people when your clearly clueless.
Edited by FallenSouls#1868 on 26/03/2013 20:14 GMT
Reply Quote
26/03/2013 20:11Posted by FallenSouls
in order to get better you need one or both forms of currency

Or maybe farming items... ?

Sorry, but there are just too much whining about devaluation.

On topic: Look at the bright side. People with wrong intentions cannot abuse the rollback function.
Reply Quote
bah! farming items eh? lol thanks for the laughs.

But ya good for the abuse just don't get hacked or your well... your just out of luck mates;)
Reply Quote
26/03/2013 20:28Posted by GK72
On topic: Look at the bright side. People with wrong intentions cannot abuse the rollback function.

well they can do it once. So say a sketchy barb worth 8-10b decides to dupe their items, they get a set of account bound items plus all of the items that they stored on their spare account. So that player just earned 8-10b gold. I don't think any one battle.net account would get away with doing this multiple times so in reality, nothing really changed for the users trying to dupe items, its only a slight punishment for people who are actually hacked. :/

Although @GK72 I do agree with you, this is really just a game, and as monetarily seriously as all these people take it, some even trying to make a living from it, it will always be a game. Personally, I've put 5$ into the game, just to ease my gold farming from the start, but I couldn't imagine spending hundreds, even thousands of dollars towards diablo ever. (even if I was extremely wealthy) There are much better *investments* than participating in a rapidly self-dissolving economy.

While it may seem that we've teatered at a low point and found stability, a 200$ set of armor and weapons a couple months ago can be purchased anywhere from 10-20$ now. That is really really bad. If you're interested in making money from exploiting dying economies, farm real life (a job) and participate in the stock market.
Reply Quote
I'm using a very good weapon, i do the claim and i get another weapon but bound.

Everything on your account becomes bound therefore you can't sell it. You don't get 'another' weapon.

What part of this logic do you not get?
Reply Quote

That only earns you what you would have earned once you decide to upgrade next time, but a little bit faster. Sure you would be protected from the likely decrease in value by time, but thats a lot less earned for using one of your 2 rollbacks and risking to get banned if they catch you.

Now you can sell each item once, with this system you can still sell each item once ;)

Good decision Blizzard!
Edited by Necksnapper#2667 on 27/03/2013 06:44 GMT
Reply Quote
Let's not forget that people don't just randomly get hacked. Authenticators and smart computer usage are the way forward.

Anyone that gets hacked these days is either A. stupid or B. Very, VERY special.
Reply Quote
q1: does this affect both the original and the restored items?
all dupes (both the restored AND original) must be boa otherwise its pretty pointless because this means every rollback still makes new dupes.

26/03/2013 17:50Posted by Рейслор
Starting on Tuesday, April 2, all character equipment including weapons and armor restored via the Diablo III rollback service will become bound to the restored account. This means restored items cannot be traded with other players or posted on the auction house, but that they can still be shared with other characters on the account and sold to merchant NPCs.

q2: does this mean this policy is not retroactive?
this makes no sense, either go all the way or dont start at all.
Reply Quote
This is somewhat good news but it can also harm the players itself.
Situation i imagine goes like this
A player enjoys a DH class and gears the DH to the possible highest, having a top Manticore and several other top items, after several months he decides that the DH is not as fun as it used to be and decides to sell the best parts so he could gear the another char with top notch gear but he can't because in the past he was once a victim and got hacked and now he is bound to play that same DH even he has no fun doing so.
I can't believe it is that hard to trace the item that was duped, a dude hacks into account and transfers the gear from account A to account B. The owner of the original account reports it and u simply delete all the instances of that exact item and restore one to the original owner.What could maybe be done to allow u to deal with the problem before the item gets sold it to put like a 10 day period where the item can't be sold or traded outside of the account it is on giving you the time to investigate it and deal with it in a proper manner.
Reply Quote
27/03/2013 10:44Posted by TonaDaBoss
I can't believe it is that hard to trace the item that was duped, a dude hacks into account and transfers the gear from account A to account B. The owner of the original account reports it and u simply delete all the instances of that exact item and restore one to the original owner.What could maybe be done to allow u to deal with the problem before the item gets sold it to put like a 10 day period where the item can't be sold or traded outside of the account it is on giving you the time to investigate it and deal with it in a proper manner.

So you shouldn't be able to sell an item for 10 days if it's traded? you crazy?

The issue is, if they delete duplicate items, the poor sap that bought it on the RMAH just lost potentially £250 and has NOTHING to show for it.

You can't just delete items where real money is concerned.
Reply Quote

The issue is, if they delete duplicate items, the poor sap that bought it on the RMAH just lost potentially £250 and has NOTHING to show for it.

they should make all dupes boa
Reply Quote

I said that u can't trade the item that was traded from the account that was hacked, when u report that u have been hacked and apply for the item restore that should trigger a lock on the item until they trace where has the gear been transfer to, when they find and remove the items from that account your item will be sellable again.
The same thing is in wow, when u hack in someones account take the item and you get reported for it you will lose the items u stole and the person who was hacked will get the item back.
About the Rmah yes, its a disease that shouldn't exist and its causing troubles but when u are to greedy u always pay the price.
Edited by TonaDaBoss#2286 on 27/03/2013 12:48 GMT
Reply Quote
That's no improvement at all !

It's still easy to dupe items, if you do this, in the right order:
Loot items or buy items -> Sell them on AH/RHAM -> Claim your account was hacked -> get items back. However, the items you get back are BOA, but it doesn't matter. Why ?
Because the one who bought the items (let's call him friend1) can do the trick again ! He buys your items, play for a while, put the same items on AH/RMAH and another friend ( let's say friend2 ) buys them, then your friend1 claim his accoutn was hacked and get the items back !
What does this mean ? It means you can dupe the same item over and over again, for free, so all your friends will have the same items you have, with almost 0 cost ( except the 15% fee ): You buy the items, wear them a while to look legit, "get hacked" by selling the items, make the gold back and also keep the current gear ( for free )

What do I propose ? If you get hacked, then your account should be restored if you prove it is yours, but all the gear that was sold/destroyed etc should not be reimbursed ! You did a mistake, you got hacked, now support the consequences. You still get the account back ( that's what you paid for ), but not the gear !
Edited by Invisibility#2278 on 27/03/2013 14:29 GMT
Reply Quote
Everything on your account becomes bound therefore you can't sell it. You don't get 'another' weapon.

What part of this logic do you not get?

Lets say that im using a very expensive gear in my character.
I buy and give all my stuff to an alt account.
I make a ticket and i get a rollback.
I receive all my items bound.

My alt account sell the non bound gear.
My characters still have the gear (bound).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]