Diablo® III

Super slow patch progess

I wonder why a company like blizzard, with resources like no other company in the gaming business is taking a g e s to release timely patches.

Iam trying to think of good reasons but so far i was not able to come up with any.

Other game developers and now i have to mention PoE again - get their stuff done on an almost weekly base, while delivering content and major improvements.

I mean - they even ask the community what they would like to have added to the game.
So, what is wrong here?

Hope someone can enlighten me.
Reply Quote
Because Blizzard is working on 6 big projects at the same time and PoE is just... PoE.
I don't think Diablo3 patches are top priority.

Still I think Diablo3 patches are a priority because of all the f*ckups they did with the game.
Reply Quote
And because POE is a pile of ****. It's easy to add more **** to the pile.
Reply Quote
15/04/2013 13:26Posted by CHILMAR
Blizzard is working on 6 big projects at the same time

And those are...?
Starcraft 3?
World of Starcraft?
Diablo 3 expansion?
Warcraft 4?
World of Warcraft 52nd expansion?
Can't come up with sixth now but what are you talking about dude?
Reply Quote
3 Gnome Warlock
tbh i think the patches come quite quick the only problem is they shouldn't need to do all these patches, also they don't fix enough of the problems in each of the patches they do, as soon as patch 1.08 i can guarantee the same day someone will make a thread" what we need in 1.09, it will never be enough

ive read 1.08 and nuthing in it will make me want to come back this patch

so i keep wondering how many more patches will it take before its actually worth playing
Reply Quote
And those are...?
Starcraft 3?
World of Starcraft?
Diablo 3 expansion?
Warcraft 4?

- Starcraft expansion 2
- WoW expansion 5
- Diablo 3 expansion
- Heartstone
- Titan project
- And the sixth one is not really a project in general but there are also a number of teams working on patches etc.

They are pretty busy.
Yes they are a big company, but still everything needs to be checked, re-checked, approved, etc... Everything takes time (and yes alot of time for Blizz), but still.
Edited by CHILMAR#2915 on 15/04/2013 14:06 BST
Reply Quote
Community
While we totally understand that you would like to see patches more frequently, a high quality and well-polished update is better for the life of a game than the quantity provided. If we tried to rush the patches that we're working on, it would result in us releasing content that doesn't meet our desired level of quality.

15/04/2013 13:07Posted by Zeitstopp
Iam trying to think of good reasons but so far i was not able to come up with any.
Patches take time, creating improvements and making changes to such a wide variety of systems requires a lot of work.

Making the changes like those listed in the 1.0.8 patch notes are not as easy as simply tweaking a few numbers. The changes we make to the game are a lot more complicated than what you may initially assume them to be and a great deal of time is required in order to develop, implement, test and prepare every change for a live environment.

Because Blizzard is working on 6 big projects at the same time and PoE is just... PoE.
Actually, every game at Blizzard has its own dedicated team of developers, so the amount of resources allocated to Diablo III isn't affected by other projects we may have in the works. You can rest assured that the Diablo III team holds it as their highest priority.
Edited by Nakatoir on 15/04/2013 14:43 BST
Reply Quote
15/04/2013 14:43Posted by Nakatoir
The changes we make to the game are a lot more complicated than what you may initially assume them to be and a great deal of time is required in order to develop, implement, test and prepare every change for a live environment.

- Nakatoir the Sensemaker
Reply Quote
15/04/2013 15:05Posted by Bombus
The changes we make to the game are a lot more complicated than what you may initially assume them to be and a great deal of time is required in order to develop, implement, test and prepare every change for a live environment.

- Nakatoir the Sensemaker
Even so, you need to work on absolutely needed changes before you work on anything else.
Itemization should've been the first.
Reply Quote
15/04/2013 13:40Posted by DKnG
Blizzard is working on 6 big projects at the same time

And those are...?
Starcraft 3?
World of Starcraft?
Diablo 3 expansion?
Warcraft 4?

6. Diablo 3 for PS.
Reply Quote
15/04/2013 15:10Posted by Lenor

I disagree. Mob density is more important than itemization because it lets us play in all areas of the game.
Reply Quote
My random guess (may be wrong, of course):

If patches with lots of new sets/uniques and huge mechanic changes are released then what is left for expansion besides a new class or two and a new act? The more changes it has, the better it sells (and I'm 95% sure it will turn D3 into somewhat near-perfect aRPG, and of course I'm going to buy it). Therefore, we're stuck with relatively minor changes (with relatively big time gaps between them) and a bunch of announcements, Q&A's, PTR's and discussions until the expansion. Also, itemization fix is necessary so we'll see it before the expansion goes on sale.

15/04/2013 15:32Posted by Bombus

I disagree. Mob density is more important than itemization because it lets us play in all areas of the game.

Sadly, not for me. A3 is still superior to acts 1,2,4 in terms of elite packs killed per minute. I'm already mf-capped and I don't need more experience. For hardcore characters mp10 trash farming is out of question and since elite packs are our main source of rares, uniques and legendaries I'm going to be still stuck in a3.
Edited by Bernkastel#2608 on 15/04/2013 15:59 BST
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
I think the release of content is a bit too slow for Diablo III.

It seems like the Diablo team is trying to imitate the WoW team's patch development. It feels very similar at least. A patch goes on the PTR for about 1½ month, and then it's released. Then there's about 1 month of developer Q&As, blue posts, and previews of the next patch. Then that patch goes on the PTR for 1½ month, gets released, and the cycle continues.

For WoW this kind of development feels appropriate. Getting a patch every 3 months feels appropriate, especially because those WoW content patches have so much stuff in them. There really is 3 months of enjoyment crammed into them.

It feels different with Diablo III. The patches are a lot smaller in terms of content. And whilst the enjoyment of Diablo III does rely on replayability, it is difficult to stay excited about the Infernal Machine for 3 months, or Brawling for that matter.
Add to that the fact that so far the Diablo III patches haven't actually revolved so much around content as they have revolved around game systems. It feels more as if the patch development focuses on polishing the existing game rather than adding to it.

If I should wish for something, then it would be some small updates in-between the bigger patches. It shouldn't really require a lot of development or testing to add a few new legendary items to the game, or a couple of crafting patterns, or whatever, a month after having added a bigger patch. But it would add a lot in terms of replayability – because players would have something to be excited about constantly.

I have a feeling that Blizzard are furiously working on the next expansion, and that they're focusing on getting a lot of content into it. And I have a feeling that the Diablo III patches until then will almost entirely focus on improving and polishing existing game systems, because that means that in the long term the Diablo III expansion will be even cooler, since it'll be released on a much more solid game foundation. And whilst that's really nice, then in the short term it does suck that Diablo III doesn't get much new stuff in terms of content, because you know Blizzard are just hoarding it all up for the expansion.
In that regard it's easy to get envious about Path of Exile, because they don't seem to have this long term vision of having to release multiple, huge expansions. So they're just adding new content to their game on a weekly basis.
Reply Quote
Blizzard also is working on the expansion at the same time and hopefuly on the pvp patch.
Reply Quote
I think the release of content is a bit too slow for Diablo III.

It seems like the Diablo team is trying to imitate the WoW team's patch development. It feels very similar at least. A patch goes on the PTR for about 1½ month, and then it's released. Then there's about 1 month of developer Q&As, blue posts, and previews of the next patch. Then that patch goes on the PTR for 1½ month, gets released, and the cycle continues.

For WoW this kind of development feels appropriate. Getting a patch every 3 months feels appropriate, especially because those WoW content patches have so much stuff in them. There really is 3 months of enjoyment crammed into them.

It feels different with Diablo III. The patches are a lot smaller in terms of content. And whilst the enjoyment of Diablo III does rely on replayability, it is difficult to stay excited about the Infernal Machine for 3 months, or Brawling for that matter.
Add to that the fact that so far the Diablo III patches haven't actually revolved so much around content as they have revolved around game systems. It feels more as if the patch development focuses on polishing the existing game rather than adding to it.

If I should wish for something, then it would be some small updates in-between the bigger patches. It shouldn't really require a lot of development or testing to add a few new legendary items to the game, or a couple of crafting patterns, or whatever, a month after having added a bigger patch. But it would add a lot in terms of replayability – because players would have something to be excited about constantly.

I have a feeling that Blizzard are furiously working on the next expansion, and that they're focusing on getting a lot of content into it. And I have a feeling that the Diablo III patches until then will almost entirely focus on improving and polishing existing game systems, because that means that in the long term the Diablo III expansion will be even cooler, since it'll be released on a much more solid game foundation. And whilst that's really nice, then in the short term it does suck that Diablo III doesn't get much new stuff in terms of content, because you know Blizzard are just hoarding it all up for the expansion.
In that regard it's easy to get envious about Path of Exile, because they don't seem to have this long term vision of having to release multiple, huge expansions. So they're just adding new content to their game on a weekly basis.

This +1k
Reply Quote
15/04/2013 15:32Posted by Bombus

Mob density is a change that takes an hour max to implement and it's useless without the itemization changes anyways, it doesn't make me come back.
Reply Quote
15/04/2013 15:49Posted by Bernkastel
Sadly, not for me. A3 is still superior to acts 1,2,4 in terms of elite packs killed per minute. I'm already mf-capped and I don't need more experience. For hardcore characters mp10 trash farming is out of question and since elite packs are our main source of rares, uniques and legendaries I'm going to be still stuck in a3.

That is the point of the Density changes...
Reply Quote
sry but , wat u guys using ? drunk or kokaine ?

if u guys waiting for pvp with expension u was in dream , there no pvp coming to this game

they just lying us and before

sry my english but im rly big disapointed.

2 months for one small patch wtf is it ?

and 1 year for major patch ( there no yet major patch for this game )

10 million copy sold , maybe 200k ppl left to playing
Reply Quote
While we totally understand that you would like to see patches more frequently, a high quality and well-polished update is better for the life of a game than the quantity provided. If we tried to rush the patches that we're working on, it would result in us releasing content that doesn't meet our desired level of quality.

Patches take time, creating improvements and making changes to such a wide variety of systems requires a lot of work.

Making the changes like those listed in the 1.0.8 patch notes are not as easy as simply tweaking a few numbers. The changes we make to the game are a lot more complicated than what you may initially assume them to be and a great deal of time is required in order to develop, implement, test and prepare every change for a live environment.

Actually, every game at Blizzard has its own dedicated team of developers, so the amount of resources allocated to Diablo III isn't affected by other projects we may have in the works. You can rest assured that the Diablo III team holds it as their highest priority.

First of all: Thanks for hearing me out and giving me an answer.

Other than that i have to agree with Jito:

That is also what I would love to have. A more frequent feedback and just minor changes every now and then. For example like in games like League of Legends were a hero is added each month ( or at least it was like that the last year), you guys could add something like a contest for example.

Stuff like: "The Communities Forge" (just a random name i made up)

Where people can contribute by giving input on new legendaries, sets and other stuff to enrich the game. Then you guys at blizz have something nice to get in touch with the community and the community can vote upon new stuff thats going to be added to the game.

I do understand that quality-work takes its time but it would also be nice if you guys would try to understand us on this matter. A game which is fast paced and lives from its replayability needs more frequent updates than a game like wow, were you just grind X for Y hours in order to achieve Z.

Therefore I would love to see more frequent updates - just with little things that dont change any game mechanics or stuff alike, but just give us the feeling that you guys care about us. Cause if we (the community) get the feeling that you guys care about us, then I am pretty sure that we wouldnt be so unhappy with all this waiting for the major patches.
Edited by Zeitstopp#1810 on 15/04/2013 17:26 BST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]