As many of you might have noticed, when it comes to high MPs, the Demon Hunter goes nuts and stacks all kinds of DANGEROUS explosives right under his feet. I guess these people are just trying to have a blast while playing the highest difficulty setting, but come on, this is not a sane behavior!
So I decided to take an even less sane path and chose to play ranged (what?!?) with underused (underrated ?) abilities (ok, this guy must be trolling). Hum...enough with sarcasm, let's present the build.
I'll start with what should interest you the most : efficiency numbers/how does it perform? With my current gear, I achieve a relatively decent 40-45M XP/hour on MP6 while having an effective DPS of around 4 times my paper DPS (roughly 800-850K eDPS/over 1M on elites thanks to SoJ). Not too bad, but let's be honest, this means that as far as efficiency goes, my soft cap with the build is most probably MP8.
This is a WF build, which takes advantages of high proc rate skills to have good control over the battlefield. Here it is : http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#bekcgR!Yfe!ZaaaYY
Before detailing each skill, I'll start with two basic gameplay tips :
- Work your positioning to gather the most mobs/elites in a line in front of you;
- When possible, kite in a circle around your turrets.
Active skills :
- Entangling Shot-Shock Collar : This is your positioning and hatred regen skill. I don't take this skill for the snare (which I barely notice TBH) but for its high proc rate. You gain two benefit from it : huge knockback chance for positioning and good hatred regen through Mortal Enemy (see below);
- Chakram-Twin Chakrams : AoE. I switched this skill a lot with Ball lightning at the beginning, and my experience was very clearly in favor of chakrams. First, because my kill speed is way higher with it. Second, because with -4 hatred cost on my chest, I can pretty much spam it all day even with 2.28 AS. And this "spamability" is important, as you are then able to go into "turret mode", monsters being almost constantly knocked back by the wall of chakrams. In fact, there is sometimes so much knockbacks that you have to move behind your sentries to keep monsters in their range (they are pushed off screen!);
- Sentry-Spitfire Turret : DPS Assist. You can take Guardian Turrets if you feel too squishy. The strategy is then to kite from one turret to another;
- Rapid Fire-Whitering Fire : Single target DPS. You can try another rune, but I find the hatred cost to be way too high outside of Withering Fire, especially when kiting. The first "trick" that makes this skill efficient in my eyes (vs. Cluster Arrows for example) is that with Mortal enemy, you are able to maintain it for quite a long time. The second is to use "chance to" gear (freeze on belt/stun on gloves/ blind on amulet) + Enchantress with Azurewrath (AS gear and chance to blind ammy is a plus). With these "chance to", it's quite frequent to lock down a target and thus not losing DPS while kiting. This is especially useful on enemies immune to knockback (such as yellow champions);
- Shadow Power-Gloom : Panic button. Sometimes, you won't be able to kite. Examples : boxed by Wallers, Teleporting Golgors surrounding you. In these times, Gloom is mandatory;
- Marked for Death-Mortal Enemy : Hatred Regen + DPS bonus. The thing with Mortal Enemy is that the 3 hatred regen on attack is proc based (thus functioning in a similar fashion as Life on Hit). This is why Entangling Shot-Shock Collar is so good on regaining hatred thanks to its high proc chance.
- Archery : +15% damage with bows, enough said;
- Steady Aim : +20% damage when monsters are 10yards away. With this spec, the passives will be up very frequently. If not, then you're probably rushing through trash;
- Perfectionist : This a preference call. You can take Nightstalker for discipline regen (for those moments where Gloom is mandatory) or Cull the Weak for additional DPS. I simply find Perfectionist more comfortable and funnier because of discipline management.
Gear requirement : WF with decent knockback (40%+) and -hatred chakram cost on chest or Stone of Jordan (both isn't required, I do fine with -4 hatred on my chest).
Recommended/Optional gear : SoJ with crit chance for rapid fire, crit chance for rapid fire on Dead Man's Legacy, Freeze chance on belt (i.e. where it is the less costly to obtain DPS wise) and Azurewrath for Enchantress with high freeze chance and AS (http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/item/azurewrath). Scoundrel with WF is also nice, but he tends to push monsters back to you...Buriza? Why not, if you have 50M gold to spare on a good one.
This is it! Thank you for reading and for those fool enough to test this, I hope you'll enjoy what is the most fun build I played till now!
As a sidenote, here is how I feel the MP progression is with the build regarding paper DPS (with steady aim, archery and SoJ) :
- MP3 : don't remember :-(
- MP4 : 150K/180K vs. elites
- MP5 : 170K/210K vs. elites
- MP6 : 200K/250K vs. elites
- MP7 : 250K/300K vs. elites?? (not there yet)
Edit : Here are two short gameplay samples done on Keep Depths 2 and an MP10 CotA Run (for the fun):
- MP6 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II_U0E7ler4
MP7 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fiug1j0e2Mc
MP10 CotA Run : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBqIziV6XG0