Diablo® III

[Guide] How to build a WD for MP10

Introduction:

You can spent 10b for a WD and fu^^ it up real hard. I see wd´s with 20k+ elite kills that are lost. I´ve been lost. This is for players that are new to the class and want to build a proper WD that is viable on MP10 solo and valuable on MP10 parties. This is also for wd´s who feel like stuck or to anyone who is looking for a change. I´m gonna talk about everything you need to know about WD and break it down in sections. What I´ll talk about comes from personal experience and proper testing with various builds and gear.

A lot of people have asked me to check their gear and build, to tell em´ where´s the problem. It´s always the same and when they ask I can tell it without looking.

It´s a chain reaction:

Weapon is too fast and without solid dmg -> on top of that there´s too much ias on the gear -> the lack of efficient manapoints (will be refered as emp from now on) and all this leads to a bad build that is not efficient and barely viable on MP10.

A goal, a milestone when gearing a WD is to reach 200k unbuffed dps with SoJ. You achieve this and you´re viable on MP10 solo and you´re valuable on MP10 parties.

Another goal is to being able to use this build: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#VfUdjQ!ZYT!ccZcYb

Max buffs with max AoE dmg without mana skills and passives. It´s not mandatory to use this build but when you can pull it off you can use any build setup and when you do use a mana passive you´ll never run out of mana.

Weapons:

The most important things when selecting a weapon is the base dmg and low attacks per second. (will be refered as aps from now on) So it´s 2H, 1H spears and maces with 1.2 aps (not EF) and why not 1.3 aps axes but you should always check 2H and spear/maces before going for an axe.

A weapon should always be black i.e min dmg,max dmg +% dmg.

Now you can control your aps by adding just the right amount of ias to your gear and you´ve a weapon with solid base dmg which is everything for a WD.

Optimal aps for 1H is between 1.5-1.55, you can cast and move efficiently and going over 1.55 will only drain your mana faster with marginal gains in faster casting animation.

Optimal aps for 2H is between 1.15-1.36, it´s up to a personal preference and what kind of build you want to use.

It´s possible to play without LS but vs reflect and nasty packs LS is mandatory and if you´re new to the class I recommend getting a weapon with LS.

For 2H weapons it´s pretty much skorn atm, hopefully the loot patch will fix this.

Never trade Int,cc,chd or large amounts of vit for ias.

Ruby vs Emerald:

I spent 20-30m to test these gems on field and the results were clear.

Ruby boosts your white dmg and the dmg of dots. If you want to do 2H and to use locusts a lot then Ruby is for you.

If you care about the crit dmg of bears/CoB/sacrifice then go with the emerald.

Mojo´s:

Here is 3 choises:

TotD the frog which gives 20 pickup radius, meaning that you don´t need any pickup radius on other gear. Frog also has max mana and manaregen which are gold. For other stats I recommend high avg dmg, high Int and high vitality.

Uhkapian serpent, dps mojo with +% dmg to elites for other stats I recommend manaregen and -cost to zombie charger.

Zunimassa´s string of skulls, by using this you open up a helm slot for visage of giya (the ultimate manaregen setup) or you can use mempo if you need the ias, no point in mempo if you can´t sustain the dmg and constantly go oom. For string you want cc and -cost to bears.

In a mojo emp>>>>>>10k dps always.

2H vs 1H

I used 1H for a long time. I had one of the best 1H dps weapons for a WD, bis zuni mojo and bis mempo. To put the prices on a perspective:

Spear sold for 400m,mempo for 3.5b and the mojo for 1.8b. I bought skorn for 200m and zuni helm for 700m. Rank in diablo progress took a spiral from top20. My sheet dps dropped by 20k.

If you look 1H and 2H objectively and without never playing with the other setup you´ll get:

High healing
High crit dmg
High weapon dmg

vs

High crit chance
more hits

You may think it goes even, that they are the same and the difference is marginal, I did.

In reality 2H destroys 1H in killing speed. I fell in love right away. Also with 2H you can stand in desecrator,plague, arcane beams sweeping over and eating hits and facetank it all.

Dots are usable with 2H, pathetic with 1H. 1.08 buffs bats and Cloud of bats will do major dmg with 2H and you can facetank thx to high dmg and LS. Plague bats will be better for 1H but then again bears>plague bats, simply 708% vs 570% and plague bats have a pathetic range and AoE.

2H and 1H are both good and viable.

Adding attack speed to gear:

Weapon choise has been made. Now you need a few ias items and the goal for 1H was 1.5-1,55 aps and for 2H anything between 1.15-1.36 aps.

An obvious choise is the witching hour, get one based on your budget. I favor high Int/Vit rolls with high crit dmg. Other stats to look for: Pickup radius,Life%,Armor,High Str/Dex roll. If you can get high Int/Vit with AR roll go for it but imo that´s expensive garbage and better to get AR to other pieces.

Other one is Inna´s temperance. I browsed these yesterday and 8% ias 98 Dex, 190 Vit were starting from 40m to 58m or so. Budget version is with AR or with pickup radius. Big boys get Int/Vit roll. I recommend starting with high Vit roll. 2H user should buy 8% ias roll.

That´s a start and before adding more I recommend playing with your current aps and getting a feel for it.

Crafting:

Shoulders,Gloves,Bracers and an Amulet. All can be crafted and all can be bis. If you want to craft all and you´ve been hoarding essences then I recommend starting with shoulders, they should look like this:

150-190 Str
280-320 Int
90-150´ish Vit
10%+ Life%
50+ AR
Armor/Pickup radius

Settle for 1st decent roll that doesen´t remind above at all and move on to the bracers.Solid bracers have the following stats
220-320 Int
Vit
AR
CC
Armor/Physical Res
Pickup radius

Gloves and Vitality gloves :) Yes it´s hard but man when it pays off, gloves can also roll high dex roll so if you want to play monk someday, craft Vita gloves.

Gloves are an item where you can have ias, with crafting and for WD and at this point of the game, there´s no point in buying trifecta gloves unless it´s a steal and you can flip them for a large profit.

Solid gloves have High Int&Vit,High cc and High chd. Other good stats are trifecta,pickup radius,AR,Armor,High Str/Dex

Crafting amulets is like impossible, anyhow´ you want high cc and chd here, Vitality,Life%,AR,Armor,Socket,avg dmg are all welcomed.

To get started I recommend buying vile wards, it can be semi-decent cheap roll for usage just till you craft an imba shoulders or if you got golders, invest to solid roll, it´s a deposit that you´ll get back. Pickup radius on a good roll costs a mint, not worth it imo.

Craft bracers, they got the most potential.

Get gloves from AH, till you can craft an upgrade.

Look up rare and tal rasha´s amulets, till you can craft an upgrade. Some rare amulet´s with high Int,cc,chd and socket or some other good bonus stat you can get so cheap that it´s a robbery. If you got golders it´s wise to invest to a solid tal rasha. Forget ias roll, they are garbage and expensive. Forget 200+ vit rolls they are expensive and garbage. What you want is solid avg dmg or high Int with socket. I wouldn´t pay over 800m for these unless it´s bis and major dps boost.

Pickup Radius:

Pickup radius affecting skills is unique,cool and it can be a pain. Passive skills: Circle of Life,Gruesome Feast and Grave Injustice all require pickup radius to work.

In general a doctor should have 10-14 pickup radius in his/her gear, this be the optimum for all the above skills. You never need more than 14.

7 yards is fine but you´ll miss some dogs that would spawn with 10-14. 5 yards is also doable for GF and GI but not for CoL. I recommend having atleast 7 yards of pickup. You can have pickup on bracers,shoulders,belt,boots,gloves and chest.

Damage mitigation & EHP:

Whenever someone asks: "How much armor and AR should I get?"
The 1st answer is 4k armor and 800 AR. I dunno where these numbers have come nor why they are so sacred nor why you need 4k armor and 800 AR.

It´s about balance of AR,Armor and Life.

For 1H life is better than mad mitigation. I played without LS and with 3k armor, about 770 AR and with 73-83k life, it worked well in solo and in a party. With mititigation you should aim for a point where you can cast bears vs reflect, with 1H eliminating reflect completely is an overkill, it´s pointless and very expensive or you´ve to do it at the cost of dps.

For 2H mitigation is more important than high life, for 2H you almost need to find a point where you can eliminate reflect. Crits are so high that if you skip mitigation you´ll oneshot yourself everytime and it´ll be a nightmare. I´m at 3600 armor, 810 physical res and other AR about 750 with 57k life and 5.6 LS reflect is not a problem. If all reflect at the same time, you spam teddies there and all the teddies crit it´s very likely that you´ll die no matter what stats you´ve.
Edited by Jumbasa#2925 on 27/05/2013 19:30 BST
Reply Quote
continued...

Jumba:

Zuni set,Rings and Emp:

Zuni set is bis and required. All the pieces are good and the set bonuses are great.

Boots: Optimum would be High Int/Vit roll with 8% poison dmg and here is a good chance to have pickup radius. Boots like that are cheap and they offer max dps and vitality. What you see me using is expensive garbage. I can only recommend boots like that if you really need the AR and armor. I can´t wait to get rid of those boots and use my pickup boots that give +4k dps and life.

Ring: Pox market is wild. Starting ring is with cc. Medium ring is with vitality and 6cc that´s around 200-300m. Then there´s these high avg dmg rings that offer more dps than weak trifecta rolls, they go for 1b these days. Don´t buy expensive garbage is my advise, like I´ve been looking and every ring that could be an up for me are over 1b and they all give -3k dps or so. Look what you are buying and think twice before buying it. If you want solid trifecta you´ve to camp AH for days,weeks,months with 2b and refresh often. Imo trifecta makes no sense unless you´re playing 2h and want aps around 1.35 and ias from pox is the best way to reach it.

Chest: Once again high Int/Vit roll. You can have that and high armor roll. The difference for 250-300 armor is around 1-1.2b golders. Say after me: Expensive garbage. The only reason to buy a roll like that is if you´re rolling in it and have nothing better to do with those golders. Other expensive garbage is life% and reduced dmg from elites. Then there´s inbetween like a bit lower Int/Vit roll with solid armor roll, these are nice with reasonable price tag.

Helm: Very good and cheap starting helm is with manaregen and high Int. Those with golders can get cc version depending on own budget.

Mojo and other helms for WD has been talked earlier.

Rings: Well the ring. SoJ i.e Stone of Jordan. Bis with emp and simply outdamages every ring in the game. Thing about SoJ is that it doesen´t have to be perfect not even close. Get a ring with good price/stats ratio and upgrade it later. I think that the best stat to have here is -cost to zombie charger. 2h running bats/locust build without teddies and you might want to have +% dmg to locust swarm. Atm bat rings are expensive and the need for -bat gear is very questionable. I advise to hold your horses when thinking about bat SoJ.

Emp:

Efficient mana points include: Max mana,manaregen,mana per kill,mana returns and -resource cost items. Mana is dps. If you neglect emp like paper doctors you end up being totally useless and strugling even on mp8. In a mojo emp>10k dps always, imo that was worth repeating.

For 2h it´s really simple: You get SoJ + full zuni.

For 1h: SoJ,zuni helm or giya, full zuni and a mojo with manaregen and -cost.(In ToTD the frog -cost is not that important as it has max mana and regen as default)

Then the rest is up from your aps.

The more dps you´ve the less emp you need. Don´t get that wrong every doctor needs emp and in most cases as much as I listed on above.
Edited by House#2754 on 06/05/2013 23:22 BST
Reply Quote
Nice start on the guide Jumbasa, maybe add something in it not only focused on 1.2 aps 1h as are swords still very viable :) .. remember some APS vs mana cost calculations Endorus did some while a go?

If build correctly all weapon speeds are viable!

Just my 2424235 c.
Reply Quote
oh wow great guide, Guess this is one of the reasons im happy i went with a WD the community is really great and this saved me making a post for tips on my char. Thanks a lot! :)
Edited by Malvious#2342 on 24/04/2013 19:04 BST
Reply Quote
24/04/2013 17:56Posted by House
was going to write something similar but now i dont have to! great job jumba. will have a thorough read later on and make some suggestions on things to add, if any :P
Please do, I read your tips from an other thread and all solid info.

Nice start on the guide Jumbasa, maybe add something in it not only focused on 1.2 aps 1h as are swords still very viable :) .. remember some APS vs mana cost calculations Endorus did some while a go?

If build correctly all weapon speeds are viable!

Just my 2424235 c.
All discussion is welcomed. I left swords and knives out cause their weapon dmg is not solid, it´s fickle. Any aps is viable at the cost of the buffs i.e at the cost of effiency.

In this game you need to work with what you got and nothing is absolute. This guide will be about how to get the most out of WD.
Reply Quote
hey Jumba,

that was a lot of good info :) i have a question regarding the build : how do you kill stuff without a ranged attack?

i mean blue fallen shamans and treasure goblins. i found them almost impossible to kill with bears only. so i'm using spirit barrage, which does the job well, but i wonder how others are doing that.
Reply Quote
The proper gob kill-technique for zb WD is trying to corner him, and stand right on top of him but turn your back to him before attacking. That way all your bears will hit him as they actually spawn a bit behind you. Can be a bit hard in huge open areas, with 2hander.
Reply Quote
Great start.

You nailed the most important things.
-There are way to much WD's that trap them self with high IAS Gear/Weapons. I like the Term EMP even though i think the mechanic will be complex to come up with fixed numbers.
-Skorn is way better for a WD then the numbers make it look like

I'm looking forward to your next points.

Over all i think it might be a good idea to add some more standart info for starters (why you want to use 4p Zuni, Soj, etc.)as well ?

Seeing another "heavy weight" converting to Skorn, makes me think that i sold my old (close to perfect) Skorn a bit to early :P
Reply Quote
Please don't let Fean read this, he's rather touchy about the 1 vs 2 hand weapon ;-)

Must say I found this out the hard way to, I have in my stash also a Skorn and sometimes I play with that and can survive on MP10...

The one hander however I can use on MP8 but die more often than with the Skorn on MP10. (If only the Skorn was not so slow/cluncky. It takes often a "nano" second to move after an attack with the Skorn, with the onehander it works more fluently...)

Thanks for this, hope other WD's take this to hart!

Game on!
Edited by Apsie1944#2958 on 24/04/2013 22:12 BST
Reply Quote
Sweet guide.

If you had free choice of spreading DPS stats in your gear, how many 8-9 ias items would you recommend with a skorn ?
Reply Quote
24/04/2013 19:20Posted by Pekelnik
i have a question regarding the build : how do you kill stuff without a ranged attack?
It takes some time to get used to. Skip 1-2 ranged units, no point in chasing them. Vs annoying elites, just to try to trap them in a small area with mass confusion and finish them quick. If that´s not an option reverse psychology. They want you to chase them, instead go forward and they´ll chase you.

24/04/2013 21:44Posted by RambaZamba
Over all i think it might be a good idea to add some more standart info for starters (why you want to use 4p Zuni, Soj, etc.)as well ?
All that will follow. Liked your post aswell :)
Reply Quote
24/04/2013 22:15Posted by Armeleon
If you had free choice of spreading DPS stats in your gear, how many 8-9 ias items would you recommend with a skorn ?
Excellent question. 8% ias items are cheap as hell with great stats compared to 9% ias with similiar stats. I´m playing with 1.18 aps myself and it´s all you need really (two 9% ias items). I recommend getting three 8% ias items for skorn, they are cheap and your bears are sharp for skorn´s stantards.
Reply Quote
hey thx for the upcoming guide.

i have been reading you since i start WD as a final char on d3 and you helped me alot actually.

i am glad about what i read cause i am kinda sure now that i thought in similar and right way. i am trying to rebuild myself for the upcoming patch for like 2-3 weeks. meanwhile i play archon wiz for just "fun".

anyway i thought that we wont need "that much" PuR in 1.08 so i was trying to sell my kinda perfect WH with only 5 PuR and hell yea it sold for 1b at last.

and i also thought with the incoming buffs to firebats and current feedback from Skorn users like Hanno and House i decided for a change to Skorn.

so i wont need my precious VoG anymore and sold it too.(thx it has -reduction to bats :) )

i am looking forward for your crafting guide as i am kinda confused about trying craft bis shoulders/bracers with PuR or get that from current buy-able items.

oh only downside of your guide is that may cause my -not bis but decent- spear/mojo combo not to sell nice :(

hehe anyways i don't play this game for money so its not that important to try new builds/play-styles.

i just don't like the current default rolls on zuni helm as it is kinda pretty standard but i guess i have to get used to that.

oh the last concern that i should look for nice skorn or wait until get used to it. cause i am afraid they can skyrocket after patch :(

anyway sry for my english and again ty for this post. gl.
Reply Quote
hey Jumba,

that was a lot of good info :) i have a question regarding the build : how do you kill stuff without a ranged attack?

i mean blue fallen shamans and treasure goblins. i found them almost impossible to kill with bears only. so i'm using spirit barrage, which does the job well, but i wonder how others are doing that.

I've switched from AR to grasp of the dead unbreakable grasp. That has actually worked out really well for handling ranged attacks as it gives you position control of enemies. You can utilize grasp effectively with bears because if you learn to time it right you can get monsters right where you want them. One of my favorite things is to sit still while a pack of fallen lunatics come right at me, I will grasp then spirit walk forward and away then sit and watch them with glorious joy as they each blow up in slow motion as they are unable to chase back after me again in time to suicide. Grasp can effectively hold goblins in place with just enough cool down to grasp them again before they can make it out of the circle, all the while getting run over by bears. I've been really good at spirit walking right up to elite packs, grasping, then soul harvesting then just spamming bears, re positioning then spamming again. It works wonders to avoid hits, gives you some extra time to regen mana while you hold them back and is awesome in a party with monk/wiz. Elites go down without a chance to really fight back.
Reply Quote
Thanks, great to see players sharing their experience but wow this is a change. I've been away levelling a barb to see if i like them and the last time i was here it was the robben issue, where he was getting it in the neck from all angles with his talk about 2 handers and mainly skorn but now it looks like the skorn is in fashion here big time LOL, what a turn around, i guess that means skorn prices are going up and will be as it gets more popular, i hope the days of the cheap skorn upgrade are not gone, the skorn and bears just match up so well imo, speed wise and damage with great life steal, just not working so well as a fury generater for the barb just yet, bash with a skorn, now that does feel slow but people use them on barbs so im sure there are good builds out there too
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III
View profile
24/04/2013 22:08Posted by Apsie1944
Please don't let Fean read this, he's rather touchy about the 1 vs 2 hand weapon ;-)

Hahaha yet I have a Skorn in my stash just under 1400dps with LS and 300 int ;)

Jumbasa you want me to add this to the sticky? Also how do you want it adding and could someone with epic skills at editing such get in touch and then e-mail me a version of it looking pretty cause I'm crap with pretty I'm too logical :(
Reply Quote
25/04/2013 11:27Posted by Fean
Jumbasa you want me to add this to the sticky? Also how do you want it adding and could someone with epic skills at editing such get in touch and then e-mail me a version of it looking pretty cause I'm crap with pretty I'm too logical :(

wait for the final version :P
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III
View profile
No worries House.
Reply Quote
Been switching between Skorn and 1h+Mojo for months now, still can't decide which I prefer. Guess I'll keep going the way I am!
Reply Quote
Great job jumba.

Solid advice.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]