Diablo® III

third game director in a year

I don't think that the problem is the D2 players. Most of them were hardcore players that didn't complain even after farming Mephisto(in later stages Baal) 10 hours a day almost every day. Compare that with endless whining about act3 (prior to the 1.0.8 patch). The problem is the players that didn't had any idea what diablo is and started playing it just because of the hype.
Reply Quote
Community
05/06/2013 22:39Posted by PsychoBaBas
Travis Day has NOT quit. Stop posting misinformation please.

Travis Day is indeed still with Blizzard and working on Diablo III. I can understand the confusion some people had though, when they heard that Travis Day was leaving Activision. But Travis Day that worked at Activision is not the same Travis Day that works at Blizzard :-)
Reply Quote
View profile
06/06/2013 16:06Posted by Vaneras
Travis Day is indeed still with Blizzard and working on Diablo III. I can understand the confusion some people had though, when they heard that Travis Day was leaving Activision. But Travis Day that worked at Activision is not the same Travis Day that works at Blizzard :-)

Oh, they even took the developers and they doubled them!! :)
Reply Quote

Talk about lulz. People got punk'd. Blizzy style :D
Reply Quote
Travis Day got duped! Ban HR
Reply Quote
Welcome Josh and good luck to you and to us the players. I really hope that the game will take a step in the right direction and that it will start to reward real players that are really playing and farming monsters. after 1800 hours of playing in D3 I can't describe how disappointed I am from the loot i've got to this point and I know there is no reason for me to keep playing unless something will be done to change it. playing the game isn't rewarding at all because I know that nothing good will drop, it hasn't dropped so far and it won't drop in the future (1800 hours is enough for something good to drop if that was possible). same thing goes for crafting, after using over 2K essence on amulets over 1500 ess on gloves, over 500 on shoulders and 300 on bracers I know that it is a waste of time and gold. I know that I can't make enough gold by playing the game and farming so it's not worth it to craft items.
Sadly, what is worth it in this game is "playing" the AH flipping items - is the only way to make some gold and then look at the ah for something I need - it's really sad and disappointing that it's like that.

I really hope that u guys will fix this and u'll change it so the game will be rewarding to play and it will be rewarding to farm monsters. right now, this entire "RNG" is bs because the same players always craft godly items for little gold and the same players are getting many leg/set drops with good drops while others never do. it's not real RNG... I have no idea what is effecting this, maybe the AH or RMAH is connected somehow or idk what, maybe some accounts are bugged or something because having this much bad luck just isn't possible.

also, reading about nerf to cm wiz isn't something that is makes us happy especially when it's almost the only working build on high MP and when u compare cm wiz to wotb barb and u say it's out of control it makes us think that people in blizzard don't really know how the mechanics of the game really work and what is OP and what isn't. I think that the apoc system of the wiz is totally broken and it's not a CM or proc problem. the fact that skills also scale with IAS and with more monsters is bad as well because vs 1 enemy it sucks and vs 10 its way too good and things needs to be more stable and solid.

anyway, I really hope that the game will get better and we'll be able to really farm monsters and that u guys will make more builds viable rather than just nerfing builds that already exist and its almost the only way to play the game.

good luck to all of us.
Reply Quote
06/06/2013 16:23Posted by NYARLATHOTEP

this made me lol :)))
Reply Quote
Then maybe, mr Vaneras O'dwarf Hunter, you should stop cloning Travis Day(s?) so there would be no need for this confusion!

A Travis Day here, a Travis Day there, a Travis Day everywhere.
One left Activision, one claimed a new position, caused plenty o' confusion...
Meanwhile in starcraft II a Ultralisk shouts "QUEEN!! TRANSFUSION!"

I've come to the conclusion that there's only one solution: Get Paladins into the expansion, let there only be absolution!

*runs off pretending to wear a shining-cross-shaped-shield smiting empty bottles of soda*
Edited by Axeroid#2681 on 06/06/2013 17:54 BST
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
06/06/2013 16:31Posted by Darksiders

this made me lol :)))

I have to admit I lol'd as well :P
Reply Quote
06/06/2013 16:23Posted by NYARLATHOTEP

They might need to roll back to a time when there was only one Travis Day working there.
Reply Quote
06/06/2013 09:26Posted by Bob
To solve the screen clutter, on higher MP's than 1 say, so 2 and above just don't have whites/blues drop anymore, at all.

no thanks I sometimes run round picking up blues for the extra gold. make it just an option not to have white/blues drop... and autoloot settings so you can pick up yellows w/o having to click them...
Reply Quote
05/06/2013 21:26Posted by NYARLATHOTEP
I don't think the game director has any real control over the game. His bosses probably tell the group to keep everythig for the expansion, so no pvp, no real itemization, no content, nothing. Just make something that looks like a lot, tell some lovely fairytales to the fans, and keep the game alive until the expansion gets released. I don't think it matters who fills that post, his hands are tied, and he just follows (bad) orders.

I could say the exact opposite and be as credible as your post, right? Here:

I think the game director has total control over the game. His bosses probably chose him to make decisions about the next patch and the expansion, so there will be pvp updates, itemization changes (as hinted in his own introduction), lots of content, lots of new stuff. He'll just add new features to the game, with no fairytale to the fans and keep new players coming in....

So as Jay Wilson promissed loooooooong time ago. You guys give this actual team too much credit...
To me is once again: Too much words, not enough patches...
Reply Quote
What we experience in the change of the directors is the proof that:
1. qq works and
2. this game is idd flawed..

P.S. Ok the game is improving, but in the time its fixed i dont know if there will be any players left..
P.S.2 Mister new guy i rly don't know you, although i have played VtM, please consider dc prot as a high prio ty.
Edited by AntonisLak#2847 on 07/06/2013 08:30 BST
Reply Quote
A good advice for the new director.

Stop listening to D2 dudes. They suffer from lost youth and bad nostalgia flash backs.

Everything is fantastic when you are 14-16 years old, held hostage between being a boy and a man, drinking your first secret whiskey and smoking a bad cigarette.

D2 is a terrible game in todays' standards. D3 beats it in every inch of game design, from engine to the simple gold pick ups.

So good luck to the new designer. He needs it in view of all those in search of their lost teenage years, stalking a game franchise they fell in love with once.

D2 is so much better than D3, in so many respects its not even funny. D3 would have been fine if they had just given D2 a new graphical jacket and called it D3. What they spent 5 years producing, I don't know, it felt like the game had been in production about 3 months before it came out. In the end, its too much WoW too little D2 for me anyway.
Reply Quote

Thank you for clarifying that Vaneras, my bad.
Reply Quote

Diablo 3's success does not base on his accomplishments. It was based on a lot of hype because D2:LoD was so awesome in it's time and also because of trailers and announcements that made the game sound so awesome but were never actually implemented. (e.g. random levels, viability of areas other than a3, Melee demonhunter, etc)

Edit: Don't get me wrong, it can't be all his fault. He didn't work on D3 alone, so his team is just as much at fault.

I think the many million sales were more due to all those recent (ex) WoW players than 13 year old D2 players.

Of course a good chunk still came from D2, but they were no konger active (viewing XFire) probably around 200k players of D2 players in 2012...

The majority of D3 initial players thought they would see a new kind of MMO like WoW ( in fact 1.5 million paid zero because of their WoW subs).

So combine the WoW players that did not understand D3 was not an MMO with endless content ... And the frustrated old D2 players that wanted ... their YOUTH BACK by playing D2 version 2012 ...

... And you have a forum deadly cocktail of frustrated people who STILL are a not the majority but are very LOUD on forums...to this very day.

It has nothing to do with Wilson. Even the Legendary Rob Pardo of WoW fame was end producer really.

D3 is a good game, certainly after patch 1.08. Period.

And Wilson made Company of Heroes and Warhammer 40K : Dawn of War ages before working on D3.

So ... The OP should learn from the past.

You are constantly insulting D2 players pointing to nostalgia as the reason we think D3 is kind of lame... All we want is a good ARPG that offers up depth of mechanics, replay value and a online competitive aspect...
Where are those things in D3? You guys say D3 is so much better than D2 then where is the depth? All we have in D3 are static maps and crafting thats damn near useless... In D3 we had runes, the cube, we had randomized maps, competitive ladders, open pvp games and tons of unique and interesting loot... In D3 everything is based off the trifecta... its soul less and boring.
Edited by Minmataro#1762 on 07/06/2013 13:29 BST
Reply Quote
07/06/2013 13:28Posted by Minmataro
In D3 we had runes

You mean D2 :). But yeah, agree.
Reply Quote
06/06/2013 11:29Posted by BenBoske
Diablo 3's success does not base on his accomplishments. It was based on a lot of hype because D2:LoD was so awesome in it's time and also because of trailers and announcements that made the game sound so awesome but were never actually implemented. (e.g. random levels, viability of areas other than a3, Melee demonhunter, etc)

Edit: Don't get me wrong, it can't be all his fault. He didn't work on D3 alone, so his team is just as much at fault.

I think the many million sales were more due to all those recent (ex) WoW players than 13 year old D2 players.

Of course a good chunk still came from D2, but they were no konger active (viewing XFire) probably around 200k players of D2 players in 2012...

The majority of D3 initial players thought they would see a new kind of MMO like WoW ( in fact 1.5 million paid zero because of their WoW subs).

So combine the WoW players that did not understand D3 was not an MMO with endless content ... And the frustrated old D2 players that wanted ... their YOUTH BACK by playing D2 version 2012 ...

... And you have a forum deadly cocktail of frustrated people who STILL are a not the majority but are very LOUD on forums...to this very day.

It has nothing to do with Wilson. Even the Legendary Rob Pardo of WoW fame was end producer really.

D3 is a good game, certainly after patch 1.08. Period.

And Wilson made Company of Heroes and Warhammer 40K : Dawn of War ages before working on D3.

So ... The OP should learn from the past.

Since you like statistics so much diablo 2 sold 4m in it first year lord of destruction sold 1m in it first week so yeah i actually do believe a majority of the people playing d3 is old d2 fans and that is the reason d3 sold so well. Now stop trolling.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]