Diablo® III

​Trading: Safety Tips and Scam Policy

(Sticky)

Community
Trading has always been a big part of the Diablo series. Unfortunately, some players will try to abuse your good faith by attempting to obtain your goods without paying for them. If you wish to trade with someone, you should remain vigilant for these “Trade Scams” to keep your items safe against those who may try to take them from you. It’s important you make use of the safe trading tools we have provided, as Customer Support will not intervene in cases where players have lost items to scamming.

Trade Safely

The secure trade window can be accessed by right-clicking another player’s portrait or character in-game and selecting the “Trade” option in the menu. Place the items and/or gold you want to exchange into the trade window, carefully review the other person’s offer, then click “Accept” when you are satisfied with the deal. If the other player’s offer changed after you approved your half of the bargain, the approval will automatically be cancelled and the “Accept” button will grey out for several seconds; be sure to review the new offer before clicking “Accept” again.

Here are some further safety tips, as mentioned in our scam policy:

• Never drop items on the ground
  • Once an item is dropped from your inventory, it becomes fair game for anyone to pick up. Scammers will give various reasons why you should drop your item, for example to “check the item is genuine”, and will often offer to move away from you while you do it to ensure they can’t pick it up—this will not stop them.

• Never lend items to anyone you don’t trust
  • A scammer might ask to “try out” an item before trading, but you should never hand your items to an unknown player—for this or any other reason.

• Never run scripts provided by other players
  • Some scammers will offer you a script, claiming it will help you play the game, swap your gear, or provide other benefits. These scripts typically cause damage to your hero or force you to drop items, which the other player can then pick up.

• Pay attention to all trade transactions
  • Always carefully review exactly what the other party is offering before accepting a trade. Double-check the item you are trading and its stats before accepting the trade. Also, check the cost—10000 and 100000 may look similar, but a single zero makes a big difference.
    Reply Quote
    29/07/2013 14:02Posted by Vaneras
    Also, check the cost—10000 and 100000 may look similar, but a single zero makes a big difference.

Really, how hard is it to add spaces/commas/dots between the numbers. Can you imagine how much scamming you guys could easily prevent by adding such a simple quality of life, basic "feature" ?
    Reply Quote
    Remove in-game trading and the RMAH, also make the flipping of items not profitable. Thus the BOTS will be gone from the game and D3 will have a working economy. Then with the expansion fixing the items we will have a working game, which will be played for many years. And the people will love Blizzard again.
    Edited by Skelos#2150 on 29/07/2013 16:43 BST
    Reply Quote
    "Trading has always been a big part of the Diablo series."

Trading was a big part of Diablo 2, Diablo 3 is just a Pay 2 Win Auction House Simulator.
    Reply Quote
    Community
    29/07/2013 14:10Posted by Mist3rHyde
    Also, check the cost—10000 and 100000 may look similar, but a single zero makes a big difference.

Really, how hard is it to add spaces/commas/dots between the numbers. Can you imagine how much scamming you guys could easily prevent by adding such a simple quality of life, basic "feature" ?

I actually do not know how hard or easy it is to add spaces/commas/dots between the numbers, but I do agree with you that having these would be a good quality-of-life improvement.

We are planning to add such commas to the numbers though, which should hopefully come as good news even if it is a little late, but until they have been added we feel it is a good thing to ask people to be careful and double-check numbers before clicking the trade button.
    Reply Quote
    Isn't it also true that 3rd party scripts are banable offenses?
    Reply Quote
    Its pretty sad that we need a guide on how to trade safely because you guys couldn't design an efficient in game trading system.

Not to mention hardly any in game trading takes place now with the auction house.

Trading in game was a diablo 2 thing, ya dig?
    Edited by Skeeks#1791 on 30/07/2013 15:35 BST
    Reply Quote
    Isn't it possible to add commas for players on EU server and dots for players in US?
    Reply Quote
    Never lend items to anyone you don’t trust
    A scammer might ask to “try out” an item before trading, but you should never hand your items to an unknown player—for this or any other reason.

+ Don't trust anyone
    Reply Quote
    30/07/2013 09:22Posted by Vaneras

I actually do not know how hard or easy it is to add spaces/commas/dots between the numbers, but I do agree with you that having these would be a good quality-of-life improvement.

We are planning to add such commas to the numbers though, which should hopefully come as good news even if it is a little late, but until they have been added we feel it is a good thing to ask people to be careful and double-check numbers before clicking the trade button.

I developing my spare time and have written systems that would add commas and I have to say it was a good 2/3 of the code but it was a small program that took an hour to write so in comparison to how much code has been written already for d3 I think it will be a task that someone on work experience will do haha
    Reply Quote
    03/08/2013 02:38Posted by blingboy2win
    I developing my spare time and have written systems that would add commas and I have to say it was a good 2/3 of the code

In what language? Most modern programming languages can do this in 1-2 lines of code. Possible a few more lines to localize the format.
    Reply Quote

It's easy. Very-very easy. Your indie.
    Reply Quote
    how about u just use 10101010 or 123456789 or anything else, without strict zero-zero-zero stuff?
    Makes sence, before they fix it?

Jesus...
    Reply Quote
    Worst part of it is that Blizz is not taking any action about scammers. So, they contunie to scam more and more people.

YOu can fınd an example in below link. Tobik86#2507 contunies to scam more and more people although Blizz had been informed about this subject many times by many different players..

http://www.d3blacklist.com/archives/1398
    Edited by Yigit#6705 on 08/08/2013 08:02 BST
    Reply Quote
    90 Draenei Priest
    it's ur own fault for not paying attention...
    Reply Quote

Adding spaces/commas/dots is, was a till added will always be a must. I cannot fathom how is it possible it wasn't added along the first RMAH gold amount per single buy increase (100k --> 1mil) or just when it became clear that people start trading by tens or hundreds of millions. Hope to see that soon... REAL soon.
    As for scamming issue...

• trust no one
    • use your brain in trade
    Reply Quote
    It's the other way around. Dots for EU and commas for US.
    Reply Quote
    someone tried to scam me today by removing a Zero, i am pretty careful but can easily see where people get scammed

just a simple obvious thing to have commas that surely can't be hard to implement

either that or a chat narrative of whats happening, this already happens to an extent when an item is added but does not show for gold or when the gold amount is changed

considering there are commas for gold in most places already and the chat-trade narrative is already there either of these 2 features cant be hard to implement and would greatly reduce the number of people getting scammed or in my case pissed off!
    Reply Quote
    hej
    Reply Quote
    Are you still able to trade?
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]