Diablo® III

Sentry Aid Station or Guardian Turret in Hardcore?

I recently started using Sentry on my Hardcore self-found DH and I found it to be really useful, it provides both defense and extra damage and it helps kill elite packs faster.

However I'm not sure which rune to use. 2% life regeneration is great, especially combined with Broodling (I know the passive sucks, but it helped me survive since my gear isn't good), that's a whooping 4% life per second.

On the other hand, we have an extra 15% damage reduction that stacks(I read so) with Shadow Power - Gloom, to a total of 50% damage reduction in total.

Which of the two runes should I use for my Hardcore character with terrible gear? From your experience is 15% damage reduction more valuable than 2% life regeneration?

Keep in mind that I am self found(gear is weak), and I'm using Shadow Power with Gloom and the Broodling passive.

Character profile here:
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Demarki-2391/hero/27343371
Edited by Demarki#2391 on 30/07/2013 10:36 BST
Reply Quote
Use Brooding and Aid Station with insane HP (100k+) and you will love your life regen.
Aid Station is better for DC protection. Play with barb and monk (life regen war cry and mantra) and you'll be immortal. :)

Look at my profile: (Self-Found)
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/GK72-2682/hero/27644434

I aim for at least 120-130k HP :P
Reply Quote
In hell both will work, but in Inferno even good 4% regen is nothing in a fight unless you have awesome defence and 100k+ HP to start with. If you stay and tank them under the Sentry you have to be tough enough and then these -15%/+2% won't matter much. Most of the elites will make you kite around - so you won't be able to benefit much from either turret's buffs - and dmgwise you have better runes to consider :)).
Reply Quote
31/07/2013 09:37Posted by Hyperion
In hell both will work, but in Inferno even good 4% regen is nothing in a fight unless you have awesome defence and 100k+ HP to start with. If you stay and tank them under the Sentry you have to be tough enough and then these -15%/+2% won't matter much. Most of the elites will make you kite around - so you won't be able to benefit much from either turret's buffs - and dmgwise you have better runes to consider :)).

I haven't started Inferno yet so I don't know what to expect, I just want to make sure that I won't die. What else should I consider if Sentry is not useful in Inferno?
Reply Quote
I did not say Sentry is useless - it's OK skill to have if you are not in a hurry.
Just it's guardian and aid station buffs are not so good in Inferno anymore. The elites tend to be very nasty there and very often you have to run around and loose the buff.
They still do good job cos it is the most hatred-effective single target skill DH had and most important they add damage which is considerable and not interrupted. If you fall short on defence or discipline you can just run around to regen and the 2 or 3 towers will do the job which you can't since running for your life = no dmg :))
It's autotargeting which allows you to focus more on staying alive and still do nice dmg.
And they are soooo good against boses ....
Spitfire is more dmg and lower cooldown has some use too.
It is important that in the beginning we don't have good gear and our cc and cd are so low that the Sentry's dmg is comparable to our generators - later on when you get much more cc and cd the Sentry will fall short on dmg cos it does not crit.
Also the main shortcomming on the turret is their single target dmg - with the dense mob they have far inferior overal dmg than basic attacks like bola or even grenades.
Reply Quote
Use Brooding and Aid Station with insane HP (100k+) and you will love your life regen.
Aid Station is better for DC protection. Play with barb and monk (life regen war cry and mantra) and you'll be immortal. :)

Look at my profile: (Self-Found)
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/GK72-2682/hero/27644434

I aim for at least 120-130k HP :P

Thanks mate, been worried for a while about my survivability on my DH, this helped me alot.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]