Diablo® III

Why is Bash > Cleave

90 Troll Monk
Hi. I see a lot of barbs using Bash. Why is it better than cleave? It's roughly the same damage, except that Cleave is AoE. And it can generate a ton of fury because it hits several targets. I can easily go from 0 fury to 100 fury in a single cleave if I am against more than 8 at the same time.
Edited by Layke#2393 on 01/09/2013 14:17 BST
Reply Quote
cuz ppl mostly use other skills when facing multiple mobs.. and bash/frenzy is better for single targets.. also alot of ppl go for bash - punish for the dmg buff
Reply Quote
Bash buffs ALL your damage dealing skills. Whirlwind even snapshots your bash-buffed dps when you whirlwind after using bash a few times. This damage buff is maintained for as long as you don't stop whirlwinding. Rend and HOTA also get the damage buff from bash. Cleave does not do that.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Monk
02/09/2013 09:43Posted by MasterPUA
Bash buffs ALL your damage dealing skills. Whirlwind even snapshots your bash-buffed dps when you whirlwind after using bash a few times. This damage buff is maintained for as long as you don't stop whirlwinding. Rend and HOTA also get the damage buff from bash. Cleave does not do that.

I understand but why does damage matter if you can't keep yourself alive? I can take on MP8 without too much trouble, sometimes I die to arcane enchanted + waller champions / elites.. even worse of they have desecrator and plagued too. But other than that, I can take it all.

But only with cleave. I tried bash and frenzy and I just died so fast.
Reply Quote
because neither bash nor frenzy are supposed to be used for killing anything. you wanna perma ww / perma hota, and just in case you're in a trouble with fury, you use it to regain fury fast. and the bonuses from frenzy / bash are just a little things that helps a on top of fueling your fury.

if you wanna play your build like a hybrid one, means using a primary more often, than of course cleave is the right choice.
Reply Quote
- Diablo III
View profile
I got a few words for you:

The Immortal Cleaver
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8048615079

POPCORN
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7427084666

Now - be cool :-)
Reply Quote
I understand but why does damage matter if you can't keep yourself alive? I can take on MP8 without too much trouble, sometimes I die to arcane enchanted + waller champions / elites.. even worse of they have desecrator and plagued too. But other than that, I can take it all.

But only with cleave. I tried bash and frenzy and I just died so fast.

Is /Bash/Cleave/Frenzy your only source of damage? If that is the case then you may need to rethink your build or playstyle. These primary attacks are not meant to be used on their own. Even the "Popcorn" or "Immortal Cleaver" build relies at least on Rend for sustain.

If you're using any other damage dealer, I do not understand how you can die more/faster when using another damage dealer (Rend/HOTA/WW/Sprint/etc.) along with your primary attack. Whichever you chose it to be.
Reply Quote
I prefer Cleave also. Been trying different builds, but eventually the one I'm using now is most suitable for me. I think that people tend to take the most effective build instead of what really suits for them and their play style and that's when people get bored real quick. I made even a build at one point which used HotA as base attack and fury generator, and it was FUN! I think I might go back for it at some point, which is why I still keep the gear for that in storage. But as for Cleave as main attack, I just like it how it cuts through base mobs easily and effectively, especially with Rupture.
Reply Quote
I enjoy my build. Sustains me quite well. Could be faster and more efficient, sure. But as a chill build it does wonders for me.
Reply Quote
Horses for courses.

To argue that one is 'better' than the other, in this case, is folly.
You do need to choose one, but only in terms of your build, it's not a moral decision that you 'have' to follow.

If you're dual wielding, then the higher percent weapon damage combined with the increased attack speed will work better for you. Additionally, with pulverise, it's easier to get extra crits and sustain WotB:ToC. Don't deny it, I know you spin to win. I'm not judging you.

If you have a two-handed weapon, however, then it makes sense to use more skills that rely on that beefy weapon damage. Like Cleave and Rend.

I've seen plenty of barbars who go with Frenzy too, and from runes like 'Maniac' I can see why.
Would be interesting to hear their thoughts on the subject. The damage buff from Bash is nice, but I'm sure Frenzy users are feeling rather smug at the benefits they get.

So if you swear by bash or cleave, then it's probably because it works better with the build you use, not that it's a 'better' skill. Does that make sense? People are different and everything.

Personally, I enjoy both depending on what I feel like. I think having 3 primary skills that are late-game viable is really incredible. I'm not sure you can say the same of other classes.
Reply Quote
I can't fit any into my build atm, it would mean losing either HOTA or WW or OP.

I never really liked bash and used cleave or frenzy when I used a primary.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]