Diablo® III

Lags probably not Blizzards fault - explanation here

(Locked)

Community
08/10/2013 18:12Posted by Fnord
Well for one I don't think Blizzard wants to provide us with information unless it is 100 % confirmed. Can you imagine the outcry if Blizzard speculated on the cause and was wrong?

We generally do not like to post things unless we are 100% sure that they are correct, because the outcry is always bad if it turns out we are wrong... the outcry would be even worse if we started blaming third parties ;-)

08/10/2013 18:12Posted by Fnord
I do agree they could be a bit more vocal and really assure everyone that they are doing everything in their power to handle this issue since I am sure we all agree these lags are a terrible detriment to our gameplay experience.

I can assure you that we are doing everything we can to resolve this issue, and we are not ignoring the latency reports you guys are submitting.
Edited by Vaneras on 09/10/2013 17:39 BST
09/10/2013 17:39Posted by Vaneras
We generally do not like to post things unless we are 100% sure that they are correct, because the outcry is always bad if it turns out we are wrong... the outcry would be even worse if we started blaming third parties ;-)

Yes, I agree with this wholeheartedly. It would only hurt your credibility if you started speculating too much, I guess this is a perk for us players instead :)

I can assure you that we are doing everything we can to resolve this issue, and we are not ignoring the latency reports you guys are submitting.

That is reassuring and what I think most people like to hear, thank you.

EDITED: However, is there possible for you to confirm anything about this? As in can you admit you are having troubles that might be related to your provider or if it is some kind of software issue on your end? I realize you just said you don't like to speculate but anything you actually know and could disclose would surely relieve some pressure from agitated players.
Edited by Fnord#2261 on 09/10/2013 18:01 BST
Edited by Ante#2817 on 10/10/2013 07:14 BST
Incredible lags ... rly blizzard do anything with it!

09/10/2013 17:49Posted by Fnord
That is reassuring and what I think most people like to hear, thank you.
^^Sometimes the same thing must be repeated many time until somebody finally believes it. :/

............and sometimes it takes a bit longer. :/
09/10/2013 17:49Posted by Fnord
EDITED: However, is there possible for you to confirm anything about this? As in can you admit you are having troubles that might be related to your provider or if it is some kind of software issue on your end? I realize you just said you don't like to speculate but anything you actually know and could disclose would surely relieve some pressure from agitated players.

Below is the answer that was already acknowledged...............yet he/she turns around and asks a question that he/she knows....................will get the answer that he/she already received! WOW! Just WOW!
Edited by Ante#2817 on 10/10/2013 07:14 BST
09/10/2013 19:38Posted by Sÿlak
Below is the answer that was already acknowledged...............yet he/she turns around and asks a question that he/she knows....................will get the answer that he/she already received! WOW! Just WOW!

Don't read too much into it, I was just curious if there was actually anything (even if it was very minor) more specific he could give us at all. I suspected that he couldn't provide any more answers but it can't hurt to ask when you have the chance to ask a question to someone from blizzard directly.
He is admitting the lack of communication in this kind of scenario, so whatever we do will not change the situation...
09/10/2013 20:22Posted by PHOENIX
He is admitting the lack of communication in this kind of scenario, so whatever we do will not change the situation...

Yes I know, it was just a long shot trying to find out if there was something he might would have been at liberty to say, but then again if that was the case it would probably have been disclosed already. I guess we will just have to wait and see.
Edited by Fnord#2261 on 09/10/2013 20:49 BST
@Fnord

I responded to this yesterday in the thread in Technical Support. Somehow my responses were deleted but yours not.

So here we go again. I'm Swedish, so I can read the link you posted correctly.
First, the fire was 2 weeks ago. So isn't it strange that the problems with Diablo started only 6-7 days ago? Second, if you read Telia's newsletters correctly you will read that there are only a few affected left, and it is in the Stockholm area. I live there, but still I can play without lag at the US-server, but not the EU-server.

So stop this rumour with Telia until we actually know something. My post will probably be deleted soon again, which is really strange. Do they want us to believe it's Telia's fault?

EDIT:
Just found another newsletter:

Update, 2013-10-07:
Telia has finished the work, and we've confirmed with several customers that service works.

That was 2 days ago...
Edited by Lofa#2937 on 09/10/2013 21:09 BST
This is why we use the words probably and scenario as an example, the incident is not a rumor and as far as we know Telia is a official partner of blizzard

and why would your post be deleted!?
well unless you begin to swear at everyone
@Lofa

Sorry to hear they deleted your responses, can't really comment on it though since I am not able to read them. These problems have been going on for quite a while now, and I never said I am absolutely sure these troubles are linked to the fire. However, In my opinion It isn't inconceivable at all. Maybe they could temporarily reroute traffic but Telia themselves admitted the fire had larger impact than expected and that the damages were so severe that they postponed the expected date to be operational again several times.

And it is definitely a high chance of Telia being connected to this problem in some way, if not because of the fire perhaps for some other reason. Because it is a fact that Telia and Blizzard are partners and it is Telia who provides bandwith for Blizzard in Europe. It is their bandwidth that links us together no? It connects their servers to the millions of connections that lead back to you playing Diablo 3.

I have several times explained that I am by no means a network expert or anything I have raised these questions to the best of my ability in hope of getting solid responses to better understand what is happening since it's my opinion that it concern all us Diablo 3 players and that we deserve to know. Maybe your technical knowledge surpasses mine and you can explain to me why telia.net is seen clearly in (to my knowledge) every single trace route that has been posted so far. Is there no connection there?

Telia IS blizzards carrier and any large problem on their end probably spells trouble for blizzard. I don't want to "spread rumors" but to raise discussion and hopefully get some answers. I expect most people actively following this forum to be adults and perfectly capable of using their own judgement.
you guys wanna know the real REAL reason why we get lag.
it's simple, we wanted a game that is harder because it's way too easy right now.
so the best and fast solution blizzard can come up with is to lag us as hell.

WELCOME TO HELL EVERYBODY
@Lofa (again) and anyone interested

Another update (or rather stuff that haven't come up yet):

There is plenty of crystal clear evidence that the damage from the cable fire Telia suffered was quite severe and definitely NOT something minor. There is a lot of sources that proves this to be found on the web but they are all in Swedish. If you want I can provide you with links otherwise you can just google it yourself. The damage caused huge disturbances for broadband, television and telephony. Tens of thousands of people in just one area in Stockholm lost their TV-reception.

Several swedish news outlets suffered great problems with their distribution systems and Telia admitted the problems caused by the fire proved much harder to fix than they first expected. So no Lofa this was not something that just affected a "few Stockholm residents". Severly damaged optic cables and copper cables is not an easy fix, they have to be replaced and even after the initial fix Com Hem a Swedish tv and broadband company apologized to their customers that while their service was back it was still far from being back to normal standard.

So tell me Lofa and others that are so sure this is totally unrelated to Telia how it is so inconceivable that some cables in that tunnel might have been major cables for Blizzards servers, and how this couldn't possibly caused great server instability for EU? I never said I was entirely sure but I am speculating, while some guys like you Lofa is convinced beyond doubt this has nothing to with Telia. I assume you have great technical know-how since you speak with such certainty, so please, if you could, explain this for us so that we might put this matter to rest?
@Lofa (again) and anyone interested

Another update (or rather stuff that haven't come up yet):

There is plenty of crystal clear evidence that the damage from the cable fire Telia suffered was quite severe and definitely NOT something minor. There is a lot of sources that proves this to be found on the web but they are all in Swedish. If you want I can provide you with links otherwise you can just google it yourself. The damage caused huge disturbances for broadband, television and telephony. Tens of thousands of people in just one area in Stockholm lost their TV-reception.

Several swedish news outlets suffered great problems with their distribution systems and Telia admitted the problems caused by the fire proved much harder to fix than they first expected. So no Lofa this was not something that just affected a "few Stockholm residents". Severly damaged optic cables and copper cables is not an easy fix, they have to be replaced and even after the initial fix Com Hem a Swedish tv and broadband company apologized to their customers that while their service was back it was still far from being back to normal standard.

So tell me Lofa and others that are so sure this is totally unrelated to Telia how it is so inconceivable that some cables in that tunnel might have been major cables for Blizzards servers, and how this couldn't possibly caused great server instability for EU? I never said I was entirely sure but I am speculating, while some guys like you Lofa is convinced beyond doubt this has nothing to with Telia. I assume you have great technical know-how since you speak with such certainty, so please, if you could, explain this for us so that we might put this matter to rest?

i bet the one who did it is a angry d3 player :P
09/10/2013 23:23Posted by Fnord
I know its no gurantee, but if a cable(s) is damaged and it hasn't been fixed, then there is going to be many, many people affected if they must pass through Tella's system.

Last year, a major internet cable was cut in the Atlantic ocean that caused a major disturbance. Now how easy is that to fix? Is that Blizzard's fault?

I have said it before, Blizzard does not control the entire internet. Problems happen that are out of their control, yet people are quick to accuse the wrong person or entity.

No communication from Blizz? Everybody knows it sucks, but because Tella (if they are the main issue) is a partner with Blizzard............well mouths must remain closed and fingers must stay away from keyboards. That is just the way business partnerships work. :)

I'm glad that you have maintained this thread Fnord, because hopefully some people will learn something and take a step back.
dude its not the internet when i go american server all its ok in europe is #@$#@$#@%@!% :D
@Sÿlak

My views regarding this is basically the very same as yours. It's one thing if people believes Blizzard is solely responsible for this mess, and even if I don't believe that myself, I guess its still fair to admit it's not totally implausible that they could be right. But it is another thing entirely that some people decided that Blizzard are the devil who should bear all blame, responsible for all evil in the world regardless if something happened that was totally out of their control or not.

Blizzard should indeed be held accountable for the service they are supposed to provide but people should seriously come to their senses and realize that accidents can happen and that it is next to impossible even for a multi billion dollar company to be prepared for every less likely scenario or freak accident that can occur.

09/10/2013 23:33Posted by SickPaulwer
i bet the one who did it is a angry d3 player :P

Actually I wouldn't rule out that possibility ;)
Edited by Fnord#2261 on 10/10/2013 01:46 BST

Yeah, you're just not updating people... A simple, "we have a lead we're investigating" would at least calm some of the masses. Instead it takes someone from the playerbase to update the other players. Which also makes you guys look pretty incompetent.

The EU staff are really damn slow...
This thread is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]