Diablo® III

Need advice on Sentry

I'm playing melee DH with cluster grenades as primary attack and sentries for second attack. I found the sentry to be the best addition to my build as it comes with either dmg reduction or life regen.

Atm I can play up untill mp3 pretty easily without dropping below 2/3 of my vitality, but I'm looking to upgrade my dps soon as some items are selling on AH. I was wondering if anyone has some experience with the sentries. Which one would be better for higher MPs? I tried them out both and at the moment i don't notice a big difference.

Cheers
Reply Quote
I have a bit of trouble imagining DH melee working in current D3 especially at higher MPs since DHs don't have -30% dmg reduction that barbs and monks sport.

Try piercing sentry? Most bang for buck as far as dmg goes.
Reply Quote
Some things you should know about Sentry (soory if I'm repeating smth you knew already):

- They do not do crit hits (except mebbe Chains) - so no benefit from cc and cd stats
- effects (guardian, first aid) does not stack
- Sentry benefits from your AS

My advice:
- guardian is good defence
- if you get more HP, Aid Station might prove better - same for Brooding - it's quite different to have 4% regen from 65k and 100k - if don't overlap them you can switch between both to avoid the nasty ground effects elites throw at you.
- reduced coldown rune is not good IMO - you will need that hatred faster
- FS is great but the added dmg is not so big to gave up the defence of the first two

Another thing to consider if you can spare passive slot is Numbing Traps - provides added defence and the mitigation from guardian+numbing = gloom. It works with grenades too.
If you get yourself +disc DML you can easily drop NS - Prep will be enough.

If you stick with NS - mebbe drop Preparation (cluster nades + calamity should give back river of discipline) - one slot can be huge difference - SS like a panic button or RoV:BB to melt them down once in a while.
Reply Quote
I have a bit of trouble imagining DH melee working in current D3 especially at higher MPs since DHs don't have -30% dmg reduction that barbs and monks sport.

Try piercing sentry? Most bang for buck as far as dmg goes.

Think it'll work fine, ofcourse not on mp7-10. But if I can stand in the midle of a mob at mp5-6, take everything in the head and walk away with a smile i'll be happy ;). Well, the -30% dmg reduction can be worked around by using stormshield, litany, .... sentries and ofcourse the passive and active skills when i'm fighting.

I can perma-gloom, so that's your 35 % dmg reduction right there, for big mobs and elites i put up a sentry with 15 % dmg red in the force field and when my grenades hit something they do 20% less dmg on me. So i'd say on top of my dodge, block and gear red that's not too bad ;)
Edited by Koene#2958 on 20/11/2013 09:36 GMT
Reply Quote

Another thing to consider if you can spare passive slot is Numbing Traps - provides added defence and the mitigation from guardian+numbing = gloom. It works with grenades too.
If you get yourself +disc DML you can easily drop NS - Prep will be enough.

If you stick with NS - mebbe drop Preparation (cluster nades + calamity should give back river of discipline) - one slot can be huge difference - SS like a panic button or RoV:BB to melt them down once in a while.

Thanks for the numbing traps advice, didn't notice that one yet or i looked over the fact that it works for Nades aswell. And yeah, i get enough discipline to not need preparation however i like it as a panic button. Heals quite a bit and after I can vault away if needed... Might change up brooding for numbing traps tough, so i shouldn't get into any trouble.
Edited by Koene#2958 on 19/11/2013 10:41 GMT
Reply Quote
19/11/2013 10:39Posted by Koene
And yeah, i get enough discipline to not need preparation however i like it as a panic button.

If you manage and take care of your disc correctly (and mebbe add some +disc on gear) there is no better life saving skill than SS - can avoid frozen/arcane etc. and the added buff is you become off the map for the mobs so they leave you alone for a while - for example if you use it just before these bad charging elite bulls rush you they just cancel the charge and you have time to shoot or move till they pump up again.

You still need strong attacking skill for single targets - yeah I know we need 2 more active and 1 more passive slots lol.
Reply Quote
Well, you might have a pretty good point there. As for single targets, they're mostly elite so my Soj gives a pretty good boost there. Also for sure they'll be marked by the calamity after a second or 2. So you got your 1 active skill right there on the calamity xD.

Gonna give SS a try next time i play
Reply Quote
Still unsure what too use, atm i use the dmg reduction from sentry and the life regen from brooding. But i wonder if it would be better to have more dmg reduction or more life regen.

Total reduction in combat now is, 65% from gear, 35% from gloom and 15% from sentry. ( together with 20% block and 42% dodge )
Total life regen 2300/sec.
LS 15% (permagloom)
LoH 500

If i swap out passives i can get 20% reduction from grenade attacks, but i guess that only applies to melee attacks on me and not for the ground effects.

So there's 4 options really:

- Full reduction, adds 20% dmg reduce to the above mentioned numbers but l/s drops down to 900
- Full l/s, adds another 1400 l/s to the 2300 i already had
- In between there's 2 possibilities either sentry with l/s and passive with 20% reduction or setry with 15% reduction and passive with l/s

which one would you take!? xD
Edited by Koene#2958 on 22/11/2013 13:43 GMT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]