Diablo® III

Fast Farming Wizard Build for RoS (Elementalist)

Dear all,

This is my first post in Wizard forum so first of all I would like to say hello to my fellow nephalem. This build so appropriately named elementalist allows wizard to take advantage of the new passive by dealing damage from all four sources. You become very tanky thanks to the skill synchronization and can withstand foes on the toughest of difficulties.

The best part about the build is that you can use it the moment you start farming in RoS as it requires no special legendaries and is easy to follow and execute.

VIDEO:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8Q8pZtDRe0&list=UUi4lw72qHjNwznCCD6RLiIQ&feature=c4-overview

I would humbly recommend everyone to watch the video first as it explains everything I wish to convey in more detail, however, if you prefer to read on how the build works, here is a short-ish summary I prepared:

DAMAGE Sources: The build deals damage from all 4 sources.

Arcane Bolts: Arcane damage
Frost hydra + Ice armor: Ice damage
Black hole Blazar: Fire damage
Meteor: Lightning damage

The issue about Prism.

I have seen most people have been complaining about this skill's duration being too low but if you run max arcane power resource on your paragon levels and have a decent amount of attack speed (mine being 1.76) you can still get a lot out from this skill. The armor is really useful but the 9 arcane power cost reduction is helpful when you cast not only meteors but black hole and hydra as well. A mere 4 apoc on my wizard and having prism makes a big difference especially when you can get one full attack from arcane bolts as well. But as I mention in the video, you are most welcome to use worm hole if you don't like the skill.

Since I only deal cold damage from frost hydra which has small aoe (Ice armor will only proc on a single target that attacks me) I feel you can use blur to reduce the damage taken, especially if you wish to play on higher torment.

Dominance

This is another one people have been talking about a lot and blizz themselves acknowledged this issue but I strongly believe dominance is a great passive but for low torments, which is exactly what I say in the video (I had gear that could take me to torment 3 so I made a build that works till t3). With dps of over 600k, which is easy to obtain on RoS, this build can crush elites in a few seconds as shown in my video so even if dominance cannot proc, you still have crystallise and blur protecting you at all times. But dominance is still useful when you wish to gain your life back as once you kill trash mobs, you get shielded which can help you to gain life using your attributes or health globes.

Utilising elementalist: When black hole is on cooldown, enemies will still be marked with 3 sources of elemental damage as my shock pulse (with arcane bolts, not explosive bolts :) )hydra and meteor will still proc 3 damage stacks. So yes, I invest my paragon points in reducing the cooldown of all skills as much as possible. This involves me sticking with cooldown reduction on weapon as well to maximise this effect but here is the big problem.

Generating arcane power: With nerfs to apoc, generating apoc is the biggest issue with high arcane spender builds such as these. So therefore I decided to choose arcane bolts as each of the three bolts that strikes an enemy will generate 5 arcane power, which in my humble understanding is one of the best arcane generating spell in the game. I did try electrocute and ignite with the build as well but the main issue always was generating enough arcane power which is what arcane bolts takes care of. The other bonus of this skill ofcourse is the aoe coverage that marks more than one enemy with arcane damage dot. But please allow me expand to the other aspects of the build.

Crowd control: Thanks to frost hydra (an alternative i tried was arcane hydra missile ignite), I can slow enemies in a medium sized area. Given the fact that I use unwavering will and stand very close to enemies, my ice armor also helps to cc enemies and ofcourse, thanks to the tremendous amounts of arcane power regen from arcane bolts, I can use the almighty meteor to further root enemies making every enemy either rooted, slowed or frozen around the wizard.

Diamond skin: This skill is chosen simply to help a new player be a bit more survivable and also learn how to cast spells with low penalty. It is true indeed that your shell can be broken but the enemies are slowed or rooted around the wizard so very rarely will the shell explode. Nonetheless, I can truly understand if you wish to not use this skill, cannonner would be a good choice and so would be arcanot for some resource regen but since we are using arcane bolts, I decided to go against it. In the end if all goes south, one can always run away using worm hole or use the almighty mocking demise for some more cc.

Armor Choice: I have been using ice armor since I made by fire and ice wizard a while ago and just like your kind self, it is also my favoured armor. The reason for not using energy armor is the removal of 20 arcane power from your wizard's pool. The reason why you me nuking elites on torment 2 with my sub-standard gear is because I can summon upto 6 meteors with a full arcane pool. This will never be possible if I use energy armor (unless I use the increase to arcane power rune) with the build. The goal is to have a high arcane pool so that when black hole is ready to be casted, you can follow it with a volley of lightning meteors

Finally: A place for this build

This build is meant to be for people who wish to farm fast when they start playing the game. So this build offers a nice way to nuke mobs on low torments by dealing high damage and surviving on the toughest of situations thanks to the combination of defensive skills.

This build also lets you play with the new skills added in the game so a player feels he/she is trying something fresh and at the same time being efficient.

I hope I was able to convey my humble ideas but please do ask me again if I didn't make any sense.

Any feedback from your kind self will be greatly appreciated. In the end I hope you enjoy this video of mine.

Warm regards,

Holy Hermit
Edited by HolyHermit#2407 on 12/03/2014 15:57 GMT
Reply Quote
Holy Hermit,
Very educational, and thank you for the efford, but, alas, I couldn't get the build fast enough om paper.
Could you post summary here
Regards
POG890
Reply Quote
I really liked your video, explains a lot and easy to follow.

Also i liked the smart use of the skin to spam the meteors.

About the items, i think the new set of Tal Rasha should be nice for that build
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/tal-rashas-relentless-pursuit
Reply Quote
12/03/2014 14:12Posted by pog890
Very educational, and thank you for the efford, but, alas, I couldn't get the build fast enough om paper.

I have updated my initial post and included everything there, thank you for asking me about this :)

12/03/2014 15:25Posted by Spiralyah
About the items, i think the new set of Tal Rasha should be nice for that build

Thanks for the kind words mate, a tal's set would definately make this build epic beyond measure. Lets hope both of us complete the set on RoS in no time :)

Thanks again for your feedback.

Warm regards,

Holy Hermit
Edited by HolyHermit#2407 on 12/03/2014 15:58 GMT
Reply Quote
It's a nice guide, and definately an interesting looking build.

But, if you consider the fact that Elemental Exposure also uses the elemental damage on your weapon, isn't using four different elemental skils a little overkill?

For instance a build that i use right now is your 'standard' frozen orb build.

Arcane orb - Frozen orb (Cold)
Electrocute - Surge of Power (Lightning)
Familliar - Cannoneer (Arcane) This one especially should synergise very well with EA.

In theory, if you'd add a weapon a weapon that has fire damage on it, you'd have checked all four elemental types. If it doesn't work that way, you could still use Force Weapon: Ignite for instance to make this build work.

This way you'd have two skill slots open for your own preference, you could use the Armor of your preference and a 6th skill such as Archon, and still make the EA requirements. The reason i say all this is because a Frozen Orb build would work better than a Meteor build (I've thoroughly tested on live).

It'd be nice if you could try out my musings on the Beta HolyHermit, and let me know whether or not i'm correct!

Looking forward to your response.
Reply Quote
12/03/2014 16:02Posted by Death
isn't using four different elemental skils a little overkill

Thanks for the feedback mate but here is my humble answer. You certainly can use skills like force weapon and familiar to fill in the voids for elemental damage and yes, your sheet dps might go up but the reason why this build works with my sub-standard gear till T4 was the reason I could (a) generate lots of arcane power with only 4 apoc (b) the off-sheet dps I get from synchronising the skills was keeping me alive and killing monsters in less than 10 seconds, this included elites too.

Shock pulse with arcane bolts not only does arcane damage but also can generate upto 15 arcane power with one single swipe which helps me to fulfill my hunger for resource.

6th skill such as Archon

There are many archon build out there but if we were to use this skill, we would not have access to any cc skills that makes this build so unique. I personally prefer lots of action in my gameplay and this involves me being an ultimate caster, a role that is aptly fulfilled by this build.

Frozen Orb build would work better than a Meteor build

Yes indeed, but only on Live and not on RoS as frozen orb relies of lots of apoc but once you reach lvl 70, items will have a max of 4 apoc rather than 10 so we wont be sitting on 20-30 apoc which would mean spamming orbs will be impossible.

The final point is about the ease of using the build, once you place a hydra, you deal frost damage over time and this requires no casting. So when you are ready to kill things, just put a black hole at the centre and finish the job with meteor.

It'd be nice if you could try out my musings on the Beta HolyHermit, and let me know whether or not i'm correct!

The beta is cuurently offline but when the game launches, I will definately try out your build. RoS is all about trying out new build.

Warm regards,

Holy Hermit
Reply Quote
Community
12/03/2014 15:25Posted by Spiralyah
I really liked your video, explains a lot and easy to follow.

Yup, Holy Hermits videos are really helpful indeed. Stickyfied the thread for this reason :-)
Reply Quote
Nice vid :D
Reply Quote
Feels really tanky and can mop-up a ton of mobs at once... but any advice on how to deal with fast running critters? Or the Goblins? Cannot kill any of them since 65...:(
Reply Quote
Currently I've gained a few LV70 items, and I'm sitting around 980K DPS and 2.5M thoughness. Is APOC 4+ required for this, as my items have none. Also, when better gear has been obtained would this still be one of the better farming builds, or would there be something that needs tweaking?

Thanks!
Reply Quote
Hey,

just tested HolyHermit's build (I hope i got it right: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#bPXNif!gZSR!YaZYYZ). Imho it's kinda fast-paced style running black hole on cd.

As long as there are huge groups of mobs this "mage tank" is quite fine thx to domination, but in single pack or boss encounters this build lacks the survivability and the dps drops due to lesser targets for shock pulse to keep up the arcane flow. With decent "early 70" gear treasure pygmis always got away and standalone blue packs hurt bad, cause domination can't build up...

Most of the time I'm running something like that (http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#eNiSjT!XfSZ!acacYZ) with different variations. Frozen orb replacing black hole, prismatic armor replacing power of the storm, force weapon replacing deflection, sparkflint replacing arcanot, black hole/improved archon/molten impact replacing arcane hydra. Though it's very arcane hungry, the dmg output between groups and singles seems more flexible.

Edit: I retweaked Hermit's build a little bit, getting a decent amount of dmg on groups and singles without loosing survivability: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#WPiNSO!cfiR!YaYYcc
Edited by Progenit0r#1528 on 05/04/2014 10:32 BST
Reply Quote
small question what is apoc?

edit nvm figured it out when I submitted the post its arcane power on crit
Edited by Klaptafeltje#2909 on 05/04/2014 20:56 BST
Reply Quote
Hi first of all im a big fan of this build
So my question is about the passive skills, right now im running http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#bPXNif!SgYR!YaZYYZ
Unwavering Will
Dominance
Audacity
Elemental Exposure

But im wondering if Audacity really is the best for dps? How about prodigy or evocation? prodigy would give me more AP and evocation reduce diamond skin and black hole which would give more cc and also (kinda) more AP by using prism

Thanks
-Hapseleg
Reply Quote
Please explaine Arcane bolts to me.
What is Arcane bolts? I would like to try this nice build, but i just cant find those Arcane bolts :-)
Reply Quote
09/05/2014 23:39Posted by Metzeler
Please explaine Arcane bolts to me.

Arcane bolts is another name for the "base damage" nature of shock pulse. I believe the other name for it is power affinity. Do bear in mind that for a while in RoS beta, it gave you 5 arcane power on hit but now it yields 2, still its the best skill for this build.
Reply Quote
Hey HH, Nice build! I just recently started playing D3 with the loot 2.0 patch and RoS (played it a bit on my sisters account when it first came out, finished the game once and then never looked back) and I must say I'm quite enjoying myself. Been playing with your build for a day now and I must say its pretty amazing, The sheer dmg it can dish out and punishment this build can take is quite amazing.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]