Diablo® III

2.0.1 Hardcore Wizard Build

Hey guys,

I've been playing about with the Wizard since beta and have finally ended up with a Torment viable build for Hardcore Wizards. (Also posted this in wizard forum, but seemed logical to post here too)

The Build:-

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#UcQjSf!fgh!bcZYZZ

My Gear:-

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Arbeia-2259/hero/32342251

AP Generator:-

Electrocute: Lightning Blast

Credit to Mouze for this one, I was using Spectral Blades (Barrier Blades) until I read his post and thought I'd give it a try. Good all-round fast firing, LoH generating skill.

AP Spender:-

Arcan Orb: Frozen Orb

Awesome skill, think you'll all agree.

Skill 1 (Get me outta here)

Teleport: Wormhole

Will get you the out of trouble, and far away and allow you to escape a gizzly end.

Skill 2 (Arcane Generation)

Familiar: Arcanot

An extra 2 arcane/s is always welcome - especially when allowing you to spam more orbs.

Skill 3 (Damage)

Magic Weapon: Force Weapon

I'm in between this and deflection, but this just takes the edge. Things can't kill you if they're dead ^^

Skill 4 (Armour)

Ice Armour: Crystalise

Ok so I've chosen to go with this one as each time you get hit your armour increase by 20% (can stack 3 times), but more importantly, when things just up close and personal they either get chilled or frozen. Has saved my life a few times.

Passives

Galvanising Wand:

Generates a shield of 12, 551 as long as you havn't taken damage in 5 secs (rebuilds between fights) Good hardcore skill.

Dominance

At full blast, grants another shield of 24, 770 of absorption. Another good protective skill.

Unstable Anomaly

On hardcore, don't leave home without it.

Well that's what I'm using at the moment, just thought I'd share it with you guys.

Take care, and stay safe =)

- Arbs
Reply Quote
thx for sharing that. looks solid. maybe ill try that one later ;-)
Reply Quote
Tried that build, and its really viable! Even I have poor gear I could go t1 without any problems...

One thing I changed: I have no APOC, so I took Shock Pulse (Power Affinity) instead of Electrocute (Lightning Blast). Felt like I could spam much more orbs that way...

thx again, Arbeia!
Edited by D5CH4VV4#2740 on 01/03/2014 15:52 GMT
Reply Quote
I found Frozen Storm to be really good. It has 0.125 proc coefficient and with LOH it worked much better than Reactive Armor. Unfortunately my wizard got killed by Belial+lag combo.
Reply Quote
This build is pretty awesome I did change some things for me that go along with my gear and suite me. you do have some things that would make me more awesome but this was great love my wizard even more then my cm now

here is my build
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#UcQjSO!VcZ!bcZaZc

I Could use storm armor POTS but i need to get my toughness up with along using blue and with using prodigy my arcane comes back so fast i'm good. but sometimes i swap tank/glass cannon.

and here is my gear. i was a cm like most so i change some of my gear but i was able to manage with some of it.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/ItsJohnTime-1974/hero/38138303

and with my friend and his crazy wizard we can do torment 3 even 4 but 4 is a little more harder.
Reply Quote
I would like to see more builds on hardcore, now i see mainly frozen orb ones so...
here is my Heat Wave build

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#UdQgSf!ghc!YcabbY

The heat wave will really shine after you get your cindercoat on :)
This build is not for beginers as you need to stay close to elites at all times.

Surge of power + prodigy + MagicWeapon Conduit for 1 sec full AP
Ice armor - ice reflect works well with close range and its wizards best defence vs disconnects.
Edited by Raijin#2740 on 09/03/2014 10:26 GMT
Reply Quote
09/03/2014 10:09Posted by Raijin
I would like to see more builds on hardcore, now i see mainly frozen orb ones so...

This build is not for beginers as you need to stay close to elites at all times.

Ice armor - ice reflect works well with close range and its wizards best defence vs disconnects.

This is almost the exact build I used in beta. Works pretty good.
Reply Quote

I have another: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#UVQjSO!ZhV!ccaccc.

I have five different damage sources, four of which are lightning based and work with Paralysis, which is a lot of a stress killer especially in HC. The Wizz is tanky style, has got 2.1 M toughness buffed, when going solo and survives T2 without a scratch. T3 is also possible and still fast enough with a bit of care.

Damage sources are:
    Arc Lightning - which is the basic spammable spell, which also does most of the stunning at close range

Cannoneer - competes with the +10% Damage familiar, but I found, that I can give more punch with the AoE from afar, when I have to retreat due to heavy ground effect spamming (seldomly on T2).

Storm Chaser - quite effective, especially for larger monster hitboxes

Lightning charge - from storm chaser. Adds up ~200% damage to every cast of Storm Chaser with the next Arc Lightning, goes on a straight line and procs on it's own (1/6 ?).

The Fulminator proc - this one is really game changing, even more so, if you got a vortex monk in party...

The gear could be a lot better - there is the ring, which doubles the stun chance, +Lightning damage is missing, I've got almost no +CHD... but the Mystic will add chances for good gear.

It's really fun.
Reply Quote
I switched familiar rune out for Canoneer from arcanot.

Works a treat! ;)
Reply Quote
My wizard build is similar http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#UckgQO!cdW!bcZYZc

I have the illusionist passive and mirror image, slow time and teleport to go with it.
Reply Quote
01/03/2014 10:59Posted by Arbeia
Galvanising Wand:

Generates a shield of 12, 551 as long as you havn't taken damage in 5 secs (rebuilds between fights) Good hardcore skill.

Dominance

At full blast, grants another shield of 24, 770 of absorption. Another good protective skill.

Why these over Blur?
Reply Quote
Yeah.. I noticed it also. Dominance is good vs mobs and lower Torment lvls. But since Blizz changed Blur to reduce all incomning dmg I see no point in not using that over one of the two above=)
Edited by Zodiac#2682 on 11/03/2014 09:24 GMT
Reply Quote
11/03/2014 09:23Posted by Zodiac
Yeah.. I noticed it also. Dominance is good vs mobs and lower Torment lvls. But since Blizz changed Blur to reduce all incomning dmg I see no point in not using that over one of the two above=)

The process of evolution!!!

I'll switch out GW for blur tonight and give it a bash.
Reply Quote
why in the world would u use ice armor over energy armor with 25% armor buff and 20% all rez buff? This is so great for hardcore, i use ice armor on normal to break things, but in torment u really want that defence buff. Arcane power just use Electrocute power surge + prodogy.
Reply Quote
11/03/2014 18:15Posted by DarkLink
why in the world would u use ice armor over energy armor with 25% armor buff and 20% all rez buff? This is so great for hardcore, i use ice armor on normal to break things, but in torment u really want that defence buff. Arcane power just use Electrocute power surge + prodogy.

I used to use ice armour to grant the (up to) 60% armour bonus, and to chill/freeze melee attackers. It procc'd a lot! ;)

At the moment I'm favouring Storm Armour (power of the storm) for the extra damage and arcane cost reduction to spam more orbs. I'm also looking into a passive tweak too. I'll update the OP once I've tried a bit more out. :)

Edit: Also energy armour depletes your arcane pool so you won't be able to cast as many orbs.
Edited by Arbeia#2259 on 11/03/2014 18:24 GMT
Reply Quote
(...) here is my Heat Wave build

that build sounds interesting...need to try that one out! Thanks for sharing. ;-)

I would like to see more builds on hardcore, now i see mainly frozen orb ones (...)

Since I found a Gesture of Orpheus I'm playing a Meteor build.
Switched from Frozen Orb to Meteor, once I figured out that I am losing too much time casting Slow Time close to mobs and move away from them to keep up full damage. With this build it's possible to stand "in the middle" of the fight, tho it can require good reflexes sometimes (makes it even more fun to play ^^).

The build, and why?
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#WQSOPg!Ydh!bcZcZb

A) Spectral Blade (Thrown Blade):
Nice damage. Interesting range. A very good AP-gainer if you have a couple of enemies, good CC and APOC.

A) Teleport (Calamity):
You deal damage. =)
The stun effect can help a lot in certain situations, like porting into a group for starting your attack. (Option of helping team members)

A) Magic Weapon (Force Weapon):
Damage! =)

A) Energy Armor (Prismaic Armor):
A mighty Toughness boost.

A) Meteor (Star Impact):
I use that rune primarily because of "Meteor's damage turns into Arcane" (Gesture of Orpheus). Reduced AP-cost - not bad at all.

A) Slow Time (Time Warp):
Damage! =D

P) Glass Cannon:
More damage! X-D

P) Illusionist:
If you play pretty glass cannon style, Teleport and Slow Time are reset pretty often. So you are able to slow enemies and increase damage to them within a wide range (implies wise bubble placing), plus move quickly, stun and deal 252% weapon damage with Teleport.

P) Ustable Anomaly:
I think this build is most efficient played with pretty low toughness. And its hardcore we wanna play. Really really important once you misjudge a situation. ;-)

How I play?

If there is no ally that is able to group enemies, I need to kite a little since this build has no great AoE-skills and it needs many critical hits in a short amount of time. Once I grouped some mobs I cast Slow Time, 2-3 times Meteor (I have a attack speed of about 1.7 - 1.8) and 2 times Spectral Blade. Once the second Meteor hits I can repeat that pattern cause I'm usually (nearly) full on AP again - cause of Spectral Blade/CC/APOC.
Fighting Elites is a bit more tricky cause I dont gain that much AP once trash mobs are gone. So the pattern is more like: 1 Meteor, 2 Spectral Blade. Some affixes that normally are a threat only, can be pretty helpful at this point. I often use effects like lasers to reset Teleport (by running into them by purpose). So I am able to place myself more advantageous and/or deal extra damage, plus spread bubbles around the main targets.
If I want to move faster, because I ran into a dead end for instance, I cast Slow Time and get a movement speed boost (Illusionist).

Yeah, but you got Gesture of Orpheus!

This build works out not bad even without that weapon. It only makes things more comfortable. But go ahead, find it and have fun while doing that!
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
Thanks for the advice! it got me started in Torment 1 :)

However since that I evolved a bit.

First of all I don't leave town without a Diamond Skin with double the absorb. This saves lives when walled, frozen, jailed, vortex combined with any aoe ground effect that happens.

Second, since I play solo most of the time Wave of Force Impactful Wave might sometimes help from getting overwhelmed. But most of the time it will just sit there and do nothing...
So I use the improved Archon to zerg down bad Rares before they do anything stupid.

In general the Frost Shield is the best choice. However in situations where you know what will happen -e.g. farm spots - I switch to the storm armor which increases my dps a bit.

I also recommend to always have either Archon or disintegration beam in your bar when playing alone. On some rare occasions you will encounter a boss with a missile slow/throwback and you can't throwback a laserbeam- pewpew.

When it comes to passive Dominance and Anomaly are a must.
As a third I would go for Blur since it always takes of some damage and that would be better than the occasional shield.
When I use Disintegration Beam I would go for Temporal Flux. What doesn't reach you can't kill you.
Illusionist might also be a good choice

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#UcXQmT!Zgh!bcaZcZ
Reply Quote
On Arbeia's build, if you have rather beginner's gear (as I have, or more or less had recently), I changed this:

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#UQXcTS!bgh!bZZcZZ

Passive: Evocation instead of galvanizing ward ( I like to play quick and aggressive, so I usually don't have the 5 sec buff of galvanizing ward). Evocation allows me to teleport more (safer and faster), and pop diamond skin more. Brings me to second change:

Diamond skin: with the reduced cost for spells. Useful as you usually need that extra arcane in e-fights, and it provides you with extra protection at the same time. In t1 and 2 I use storm armor as well. Works fast on both difficulties with my current gear.

(Also might use blur instead of dominance, as you need those extra shield mainly on e-fights as well, and at that moment you usually loose the dominance shield effect as all minions are killed already)

More intel on the build: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/11883238634
Edited by linjo#2605 on 12/03/2014 09:07 GMT
Reply Quote
12/03/2014 02:23Posted by Ashirin

When it comes to passive Dominance and Anomaly are a must.

Imho no they aren't. Dominance is a passive which benefits mostly highly aggressive and high DPS Wizards aka glass cannons, it's nigh useless for players with moderate DPS. It's also useless against elites most of the time and bosses most of the time.

Anomaly is nice, but the CD is lengthy and if you get screwed by ranged mobs then it usually does you no good and you die anyway or if you are stuck in a ground pool jailed or frozen which are imho the biggest problem coupled with Vortex (how I hate Vortex more than anything).

The only "must have" passive for me personally in HC is Blur and that's about it. I also prefer Galvanizing Ward or Magic Weapon with Deflection over Dominance.
Edited by Anneli#2665 on 12/03/2014 10:01 GMT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]