Diablo® III

Area Damage - How it works

MVP - Diablo III
View profile
I see a lot of posts with misunderstandings of how area damage works, so wanted to throw throw out there to increase the awareness of this.

As far as I'm aware Area Damage works like this:

You have a 20% flat chance to cause area damage to all enemies within 10 yards of your target.

This area damage doesn't itself crit, but if your initial hit that caused area damage was a crit, then the area damage will crit (without the yellow numbers).

You can increase this area damage by x% amount with paragon levels and stats on items.

The chance to cause area damage stays at the base flat rate of 20% and cannot be changed.

Area damage works off of all skills that hit a target.

I think the area damage only procs from your main hit on a target with any skill, but i could be wrong here so if anyone knows more on this side of things please post here and i'll edit this OP.

Edit:

11/03/2014 08:27Posted by Zingy1914
DoT skills like http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/class/barbarian/active/rend can proc multiple times over the duration of the skill.

Piercing skills like http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/class/demon-hunter/active/hungering-arrow can also proc multiple times

Thanks Zingy

Edit2:

The damage is based on how much damage is dealt at time of impact.

12/03/2014 02:17Posted by jokeeeer
So if you have 100% area damage (possible with 50 paragon levels and items) and you crit something for lets say 3 million then you have 20% chance to deal 3 million damage to all enemies around that target.

Thanks jokeeeer

AMAZING POST:

http://bannedofgamers.com/index.php?AD/
Edited by D3MON#2220 on 22/05/2014 15:27 BST
Reply Quote
Thanks fo info, good to know!
What do you mean by 'proc from initial hit on a target' ? Do you want to say that arrea damage will proc only on first hit and after that if you hit the same target will not proc anymore? I hope is not like this because in that case arrea damage will be weak.
Reply Quote
DoT skills like http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/class/barbarian/active/rend can proc multiple times over the duration of the skill.

Piercing skills like http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/class/demon-hunter/active/hungering-arrow can also proc multiple times
Reply Quote
What about rapid fire? i was thinking about a rapid fire/web shot build that maxed area damage. but so far, i dont have enough decent area dmg items and i also lack some cold-bonus items.

what would it do? does every tick have a chance to trigger area damage? will the area damage then be the area damage % of your weapon damage or will it be just the given percentage of the damage in that tick that triggered area damage?

i'm still very confused about that stuff, but i do figure that a buriza with entangling shot and a lot of area damage could be a nasty thing in deed ...
Reply Quote
I have a question. If i proc area dmg than the are is 10m from me or 10m from hited mob? It's making huge diffrence on dh :)
Reply Quote
its 10meter/yards (in this game, its the same lol) around the target where it was triggered.
Reply Quote
happy to help D3MON :)
Reply Quote
So if I have 33% arrea damage, this 33% is calculated from the damage that I caused to target that proc the arrea damage? or is 33% of weapon damage?
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III
View profile
11/03/2014 11:52Posted by Dunkelvieh
What about rapid fire? i was thinking about a rapid fire/web shot build that maxed area damage. but so far, i dont have enough decent area dmg items and i also lack some cold-bonus items.

what would it do? does every tick have a chance to trigger area damage? will the area damage then be the area damage % of your weapon damage or will it be just the given percentage of the damage in that tick that triggered area damage?

i'm still very confused about that stuff, but i do figure that a buriza with entangling shot and a lot of area damage could be a nasty thing in deed ...

Need to test this. I would imagine it is every tick has a chance to proc the area damage effect.

11/03/2014 14:13Posted by Danutz23
So if I have 33% arrea damage, this 33% is calculated from the damage that I caused to target that proc the arrea damage? or is 33% of weapon damage?

I'm pretty sure it's just weapon damage, but would need to double check on this to be honest. Good question.

Anything unanswered I'll find out and post back on here.
Reply Quote
From what I saw from Moldran's video its based on the total dmg dealt. So if you have 100% area damage (possible with 50 paragon levels and items) and you crit something for lets say 3 million then you have 20% chance to deal 3 million damage to all enemies around that target.

So an item that has 10% area damage effectively adds 2% total damage done to mobs around your target.

This means its great for clearing out packs of mobs which makes it a wonderful stat for paragon farming where you want to kill as many mobs as possible as fast as possible but its essentially worthless versus single target mobs like elites and bosses (unless they have adds but it still doesnt help with killing the actual boss).

This also means that if you have anything that can proc on damage or crits (Moldran's video proves that the damage does count as crits since it triggers the Bloodshed rune) then you should have atleast 1 point in area damage with your paragon levels or 1 item with the stat to allow yourself to get these extra procs.
Reply Quote
Could boost the AoE of impale quite nicely ;)

I'll get my coat.
Reply Quote
@Kolonel
i noticed you have a 2set danettas so would you mind testing my build for me? i posted it as theoretical build.. idk which one but it utilises vault as a main dmg dealer... do ma a favor and test it for me <3
Reply Quote
DeadFaith, sure man!! As long as it doesn't take too much time!!

I use these bad boys to race through T1 after resetting the quests when leg farming. Unbelievably fast and fun :)

Got a link?
Reply Quote
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9952815792 there it is... details inside :P

just do what it says in the post and i think you will be having fun :3

(>^^)>
Reply Quote
This also means that if you have anything that can proc on damage or crits (Moldran's video proves that the damage does count as crits since it triggers the Bloodshed rune) then you should have atleast 1 point in area damage with your paragon levels or 1 item with the stat to allow yourself to get these extra procs.

+1

put at least one point on Area Damage for the procs ... ie NS / LOH
Reply Quote
Hm. I have an old Wildforce with >1300dp and 48% knockback + socket. I also have a +29% knockback-damage strongarm that adds +16% physical damage.

i do think that rapid fire will put out damage apropriate to the damage that triggered the effect, so it should be possible that it procs VERY often with rapid fire/fire support + ballistics. add in ~100% area damage, night stalker + punishment, cull the weak with shadow power/nights bane and the wolf + some ROV or maybe FoK when you're surrounded ... hum. i definitely have to try this. would look like this:

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#cfjTVS!Xch!baaaZc

since LoH and NS will proc on the area damage and rapid fire/fire support is already a VERY strong single target spell, i do think this could be veeeery cool

but really, if my guess that the area damage will be based on the tick triggering it is wrong and we get WEAPON damage every time during rapid fire, it would boost our damage to absurd amounts - even to multiple targets.

what items can have area damage?

Weapons
Shoulders
Gloves
Jewelry
(Paragon)

are these all possibilities?
Reply Quote
I've been playing with rapid fire and LoH.

As far as I can tell, LoH only procs for the first time you press the button.

So if you have 5k LoH and you use a full pool of hatred via a single rapid fire session, you only get 5k life back :(
Reply Quote
my shoulders have chance to do area damage too tho I got no idea how it is applied
Reply Quote
12/03/2014 11:30Posted by Kolonel
I've been playing with rapid fire and LoH.

As far as I can tell, LoH only procs for the first time you press the button.

So if you have 5k LoH and you use a full pool of hatred via a single rapid fire session, you only get 5k life back :(

if that is the case then Rapid Fire is a dead build.
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III
View profile
12/03/2014 02:17Posted by jokeeeer
From what I saw from Moldran's video its based on the total dmg dealt. So if you have 100% area damage (possible with 50 paragon levels and items) and you crit something for lets say 3 million then you have 20% chance to deal 3 million damage to all enemies around that target.

So an item that has 10% area damage effectively adds 2% total damage done to mobs around your target.

This means its great for clearing out packs of mobs which makes it a wonderful stat for paragon farming where you want to kill as many mobs as possible as fast as possible but its essentially worthless versus single target mobs like elites and bosses (unless they have adds but it still doesnt help with killing the actual boss).

Thanks man, added info to OP
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]