StarCraft® II

Tactical Help: Get your hints here!

(Sticky)

I have been pondring about idea for a while and figured out this: I think it is a good idea to create an ORGANIZED thread where people can ask SIMPLE questions and get SIMPLE answer for those.

I would this thread in a way that a person asks a question, then 1-3 people reply and then someone else can ask something else. I would like others to refreain from spamming this thread with posts with zero informational value. (AKA: "LoL", "Cause zerg suck" and so on)

I would also like to ask everyone who post here to start their reply with either a "Question:" or with an "Answer:" so the thread is easier to navigate for others.

So here is an example how I imagine it to work:

Poster 1
Question: What is a good counter composition to MMM ball?

Poster 2
Answer: A Baneling/Ling combo works, you can then add either Mutas or Infestors to the mix.

Poster 3
Answer: I would go for mass Roachers with Infestors for XY reasons.

Person 4
Question: How do you dead with FE Terran on Jungle Basin?

And so on.

NOTE: Please people, try to act civil, dont spam this and try to follow the planed structure of the thread. I cant force you in any way, nor I would even if I could, but try act a bit civilized and dont make a mess off it, allright?

EDIT: More FAQ update + We got STICKY-ed, woho!
Edited by Elvanos on 28/01/2011 09:17 GMT
Reply Quote
FAQ 1:

Question: Can you spawn creep tumors on Enemy/Allied Creep? Furthermore, how do you prevent creep spread or is it even possible? I know when a creep tumor is 'building' you can kill it, but what about if it's already finished building?

Answer: Creep isn't considered as belonging to any player, therefore, as zerg you can build, plant tumors and get speed bonus from any creep on the map.
Once creep is laid on the map, it will remain there so long as it's source remains in play. Whether it be from an Overlord spew, the presence of a Hatchery or a Creep Tumor. To remove the creep, you need to get rid of the Tumor, that your units can see with "detection" (Overlords, Spore Crawlers in Zerg´s case), kill the Hatchery or shoot down the Overlord.

Question: How to break a Terran turtle?

Answer: 3 Basic ways:

1: Broodlord/Corruptor combo, go all in on Broods/Corruptors. This way you should be able to keep up with the Vikings. Also, if you manage, add Baneling drops to that. A few unsuspicious Overlords flying in the middle of those Broods/Corruptors can be quite devastating if you time it properly (Read: Kirov Airship is you played Red Alert 2)

2. Mass Ultra/Roach/Infestor offence. As the name suggests, this is a very late game build consisting of X/5 Ultras in the front accompanied by Roaches from behind and a few Infestors to Neutral Parasite a few of those tanks.... Also this build get WAY more destructive if you sneak in a Nydus in the enemy´s base OR drop a few Ultras behind his lines via Overlords and THEN attack his main defense position from the front.

3. In this situation I usually go for Muta harass (Mutas are great against Vikings if engaged without ground support, make sure you run away from Thors and Marines). Even if the Mutas don't do too much damage, they force the Terrans to waste money on Turrets. When they turtle, take as many expansions as you can, and deny their expand. Eventually their bases will run dry and they will be forced to take desperate actions to expand, which is when you strike.
Edited by Elvanos on 28/01/2011 13:50 GMT
Reply Quote
RESERVED for FAQ in the future.
Reply Quote
RESERVED for FAQ in the future.

Thanks for waiting everyone, you can start posting :)
Edited by Elvanos on 27/01/2011 13:16 GMT
Reply Quote
Question: what to do when i encounter High templars. all zerg units seem to be doomed when they appear. (ultra not involved because they even get hard counterd more then everything else. immortal, archon, voidray, etc). So i got roach/hydra/cor/ to encounter the usual toss ball off stalk/col/sent/. then the HT shows up and rofl stomps me.

this could be because of my lack of skill but still. its a problem i encounter.

suggestions anyone?
Reply Quote
Answer: When Protoss goes HTs he doesnt have gas for Collosi and visa versa, this gives you the advantage of having to worry only about HTs as the main scourge of your army. HTs strenghts are in killing large numbers of low HP, slow moving units. The perfect counter in Zerg arsenal are Roaches (because of high HP and the ability to burrow with increased regeneration, but be wary of the Observers), Zerglings (if you have the ability to move around), Mutalisks (you MUST micro those around if you wish to beat HTs, but they are pretty hard to shoot down with storms if microed properly) and Ultralisk (but those get pwned by Immortals... chances are tho that the enemy wont have Immortals because he spend all his gas on HTs/Stalks)

So the perfect counter composition would be: 2-4 Ultras in the front, 12-25 Roaches behind those, 10+ Mutas flying around and sniping HTs with a bunch of Lings running around and trying to surrond the Hts, preferably from behind. Also throwing in a few Hydras from behind doesnt hurt, but dont overdo it with those, those just died to Storms.
Edited by Elvanos on 27/01/2011 18:42 GMT
Reply Quote
Question: can you spawn creep tumors on enemy Creep?
Question 2 : can you spawn creep tumors on allied Creep?

Was just wondering in a game i played earlier :P

Edit:

Question 3: How do you prevent creep spread or is it even possible? I know when a creep tumor is 'building' you can kill it, but what about if it's already finished building?
Edited by TheHayemaker on 27/01/2011 18:47 GMT
Reply Quote
Answer Creep isn't considered as belonging to any player, therefore, as zerg you can build, plant tumors and get speed bonus from any creep on the map.
To you third question, once creep is laid on the map, it will remain there so long as it's source remains in play. Wether it be from an overlord spew, the presence of a hatcherie or a creep tumor. To remove the creep, you need to get rid of the tumor, that your units can see with "detection"
Reply Quote
what can i do against marauders and helions in the early game(no tier 2)?
Reply Quote
Moipster I would like to ask to use the proper formating of the thread next time, anyways here is the answer:

Answer: A goog answer would be a bunch of Banelings rolling in first to take care of the Hellions (they do extra damage to light armor) and then a bunch of Speedlings to sweep up the rest of the Marauders.

Alternative solution: A defense line a Spine Crawlers/Roachers to take care of the Hellions accompanied by Speedlings to clear up the Marauders after that again.

Second alternative: As silly as it may sound, Mass queen might work.. let them soak the damage and then let your Roaches to tear throught it all while the Queens tak the damage.
Reply Quote
Hello i just want to say that you are doing a good job Elvanos, this is very good for people that needs help and i see that your answers so far is very good.

I just got a question to ask:
I've been a Zerg player almost all the time but lastly i fell like i just lose and lose against Terran, I tryd to do some Speedling and Muta play but then he got 2 thors up and some hellion, then i backup and got roachers and banelings but i just lost and lost, my normaly tatic was to go speedlings and mutas but i feel like it aint working anymore. Do you know what im doing wrong maby should get some other creatures in the mix?

Keep the good work up!
Reply Quote
Hey, great thread.

I have a question:

I just lost two games in a row against Terran. I lost late-game. Im both scenarios I had larger army containing Roaches, Mutas, Hydras and a few Broods.

The Terran dude had MMM, a few vikings (who ate my poor broods up) and ALOT of Siege tanks!

I lost this battle hardcore even if I had better army.

The Siege Tanks made it impossible to move my troops forward, cause my roaches and hydras was blow in pieces.

I tried to snipe the tanks with my mutas but he had way too many marines and vikings, so that didn't work that well.

How should I counter this?

Siege Tanks are still way to OP imo :).
Reply Quote
@Moipster
Answer: If it's early game then the hellions probably don't have blue flames. Speedlings should be enough to deal with them, since if you get a surround the hellions can't hit too many zerglings at the same time. Lots of pros do this, since it doesn't require too much tech at the beginning (just zergling speed, which you would get anyway).
Reply Quote
@Fryderider

Answer: You mixed in way too many unit types and were lacking the important ones agaisnt heavy Marine/Viking playstyle. Broods can take care of the Marines, but they cant handle Vikings, you should go for a Brood/Corruptor combo if you get to that phase.. possibly accompanied by a bunch of Lings or Roaches. Your description sounds like you had a bit of everything... just remeber this: When Terran has Siege tanks the only thing that works agaisnt that are air units, Speedlings, Ultralisks and Baneling Drops... and ocasionally a well places Neutral Parasite. Hydra are allmost instantly useless as soon as Siege Tanks are on the field.. similar with Roacher and Infestors in most cases.
Reply Quote
I say sticky this thread.

Also.

Anyone have any tips on how to break a Terran heavy turtle on scorched haven(against 2t being 2z) lost all of them lately since they had a wall of siege tanks, vikings and thors.

(and do not say early aggression because we have been getting pretty good at that :P )
Edited by CrimsonKing on 28/01/2011 00:44 GMT
Reply Quote
CrimsonKing I would like to ask to use the proper formating of the thread next time, anyways here is the answer:

Answer: You can try 2 ways.
1. Broodlord/Corruptor combo, basically one player goes all in on Corrutors (And possibly a few MUtas if there arent too many Thors) while the other goes Broods/Corruptors. This way you should be able to keep up with the Vikings. Also, if you manage, add Baneling drops to that. A few unsuspicious Overlords flying in the middle of those Broods/Corruptors can be quite devastating if you time it properly (Read: Kirov Airship is you played Red Alert 2)

2. Mass Ultra/Roach/Infestor offence. As the name suggests, this is a very late game build consisting of X/5 Ultras in the front accompanied by Roaches from behind and a few Infestors to Neutral Parasite a few of those tanks.... Also this build get WAY more destructive if you sneak in a Nydus in the enemy´s base OR drop a few Ultras behind his lines via Overlords and THEN attack his main defense position from the front.
Reply Quote
@CrimsonKing
Answer: Me and my buddy also 2v2 as 2 zergs. In this situation we usually go for muta harass (mutas great against vikings if engaged without ground support, make sure you run away from thors and marines). Even if the mutas don't do too much damage, they force the terrans to waste money on turrets. When they turtle, take as many expansions as you can, and deny their expand. Eventually their bases will run dry and they will be forced to take desperate actions to expand, which is when you strike.
Another option is nydus play, just make sure with an overseer that there is an unguarded spot, and just bypass all those tanks.
Reply Quote
Question: How do you counter a Terran bunker rush after you've fast expanded?
Reply Quote
Answer: You should have an Overlord over your expand to see it coming, if you didnt see it coming then you have lost the expo, simple as that. Now, if you DID mange to spot it in time then you can do two things depending on your build, if you went Pool before Hatch OR if your Pool is allmost done because Terran is either slow or you went some super-fast build then you can pretty much ignore it.. maybe try to nuke the SCV with 1-2 Drones, because your Lings will be coming very soon.
Now, it gets a bit mroe problematic if your Pool is nowhere near finish, this gets a bit tricky because you have to INSTANTLY send a few drones to do the dirty work. 1-2 To kill the SCV 3-4 to nuke the Bunker being built.. also if he somehow manages to finish the bunker then retreat with the Drones and make 2 Queen (or one at your Expo if your main is too far away for her to walk), spit out 10-14 Lings and then decide if you are going to attack his main in a form of counter attack OR if you are going to try to tear down that bunker.
If you go for the Bunker kill scenario then you should remeber to send in the queen first and then retreat when her HP drops to around 50.
If you go for the counter attack tactic then you should keep spitting out more Lings so you can tear down that Bunker aswell... follow the tactics above, but this time it will be easier, because your opponent shouldnt be able to concentate on both his base and his Bunker that well.
Reply Quote
Edit: Error in coding, ignore the post.
Edited by Elvanos on 28/01/2011 13:48 GMT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]